Aug

Almost as rare as Big Foot

Spotted outside my office this afternoon: A man wearing a Yankee shirt with the number 45 on the back and the name Pavano written above it. That’s right; I saw someone wearing a Carl Pavano shirt in public. Maybe he was out of clean clothing because really, who does that?

Categories : Asides

1. Andrew says:

I was at a game once and saw someone wearing one of those replica home jerseys with “CROSBY 19″ on the back. It was bizarre. Why would someone spend $80 on that?

2. John says:

Maybe he was a Red Sox fan travelling in disguise…

3. Doug says:

I have a Yankee Jersey with a 45 on the back but, I can’t wear it till someone else takes that number

4. John says:

Doug, tell him it was for Rudy May.

5. Joe_V says:

As we laugh at Pavano, he laughs at the world while driving his Porsche, speeding to his next therapy session. His 19 starts were 26 short of his jersey number 45. Based on his $39,950,000 contract, each of his starts cost Yankee fans around $2,102,631.50. From that Yankee fans got 5 wins or paid $7,990,000 per win. Is there anywhere that man can get refund for his jersey?

6. Luddy Bazcej says:

i hope pavano plows his porsche into an abutment on christmas day.

speaking of rare, last game i went to i saw a guy with a blue yankee tee with butch wynegards name on the back. great stuff. i wanna get a roy smalley shirt :)

7. Mike K says:

Doug,

Cecil Fielder was 45, no?

8. Patrick says:

lol, Ben.

Doug et all,

YankeesNumbers.com has a list of all players, managers, etc. by the number. Here’s 45:

Nothing too great. Bahnsen, Fielder, Girardi wore it for a time, May, Rasmussen, Tartabull… heh

9. Eric Schultz says:

Phil Hughes likes the number 45. Maybe the guy’s just waiting for Pavano to go so Phil Franchise can take the number.

10. Jake T. says:

Don’t kid yourself, Phil will never get that number, the second Pavano officially retires its gonna be retired.
    In an unrelated note, Chad Jennings blog is terrific. I know hes AAA but i would read his over Petes any day of the week.

11. Jake T. says:

Wow, Yankeesnumbers.com is great. I ve always wondered whether or not Snuffy Stirnweiss wore number 1 from 1945-1950(the answer is yes) now i can die happy

12. barry says:

maybe he still believes

13. Freddy says:

I had a Carl Pavano t-shirt jersey. I bought it from the Yankee Clubhouse for $5. I wore it opening day…and haven’t worn it since. I was thinking about washing my car with it, but I don’t want to smear my car with crap.