Jun

Third time’s the four-in-a-row charm for Rivera

When Mariano Rivera entered last night’s A’s-Yankees game in the ninth inning to protect a two-run lead, he set yet another first in his career he did something he’s done just two other times in his career. It was the third time Rivera had ever pitched on four consecutive games in four days. I sure hope Joe’s willing to give him a day off today.

Update: Gary C notes in the comments that I misinterpreted the Baseball-Reference.com Play Index results. This is actually the third time Rivera’s thrown in four straight games. This post has been updated to reflect this information.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. Pete says:

Well Farnsworth *is* available. ::shudder::

2. Marsha says:

I sure hope the Yanks don’t find themselves in a save situation tonight. My heart can’t take it.

3. Yankees=warriors says:

Yes, this is not the kind of first I like to see.
    BTW, what’s Mo’s record for consecutive saves?

• Ben K. says:

I think it’s 31. The B-R.com Play Index results for consecutive games without a blown save for gives us 46 for Mo, 31 of which resulted in a save.

• Yankees=warriors says:

Thanks!
        Wow, that’s a LOT, it’ll be hard for even this year’s Mo to surpass that.

• steve (different one) says:

just shows how worthless the save stat is. Mo has 2 losses and probably should have 3.

not that he hasn’t be awesome this year, he has.

just pointing out that he didn’t “blow a save” on Monday, but he blew the game. i am not criticizing Mariano, just the statistic.

4. A.D. says:

Set-up to be a pitchers duel with the 2 SP numbers this year…so could get interesting

5. Batty says:

Ugh – Mo’s been great but he can still get completely burned out. He should have two days off.

6. Pete says:

Does anyone have a stat on how many 1+ inning saves he’s had thus far this year? It has to be way down from what he was doing under Torre, that’s for certain…

7. Axl says:

At least he’s getting opportunities this year…last year everyone (Red Sox fans) thought he was washed up mainly because he never had any opportunities and when he went out there…he wasn’t loose or ready.

As for tonight? We won’t give Rasner any run support anyway for the 3rd or 4th consecutive time…so if he doesn’t pitch a complete game shutout (unlikely) or we don’t score a bunch of runs off of a used-to-be set up guy (who has been pitching like an ace)…we won’t have to worry about who will pitch the 9th.

If we were to worry and the opportunity presented itself? I would probably close my eyes and point to a name on my board…because they’re all pretty inconsistent and mediocre. Shouldn’t matter who goes out there to be honest. Just pray.

8. Setty says:

Used to be setup guy, now pitching like an ace…sounds like something we wouldn’t be opposed to

9. Gary C says:

What about June 1st – June 4th 2004?

10. LiveFromNewYork says:

My understanding is that Mo lets them know when he needs rest.

Last year he was not getting enough work because they were not getting into save situations. Mo work for Mo usually works out better than less work.

My understanding is that Rivera does not keep his mouth shut if he needs a day off. I also think that knowing Mo he would want to put that HR behind him as soon as possible. I saw the encore this morning and he looked like a man on a mission.

I think if he wanted to sit out last night he would have let that be known.