Dec

And Manny more

While the Yanks may (or may not) be out of the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, the bloviating half of the two-headed Steinbrenner monster wants to see Manny in pinstripes. According to Jon Heyman, Hanks wants the Yanks, who are also rumored be in on Rick Ankiel trade talks, to go hard after Manny in an effort to shore up the offense. I like the idea of Manny Ramirez the hitter a lot more than I like Manny Ramirez the crazy guy.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Rob says:

That’s my boy, Hank!

Seriously, Manny makes sense in the lineup and on the contracts being discussed – much more on both than Teixeira. Heck, I’ll even take one year of Crazy Manny over three years of Old Teixeira.

Seriously, going home to perform is probably the best way to keep him in check. Everyone knows your friends and family are your worst critics.

2. Matthew says:

Best right hand hitter of all time probably….

I don’t see a down side. A 3 year 75 – 80 mil deal, suit him for pinstripes.

He plays LF, we can move Johnny over to CF and live with him there for a year…a better stop gap for AJax than Cam would.

He helps ARod…think Big Papi, but obviously Mr. Madonna is way more talented.

1. Damon, CF

3. Lowe
    4. Pettitte
    5. Joba

3. Mike Pop says:

Hank should step in and get Manny for 3 75

4. Mike W. says:

Manny and Sheets please… please…!!!!!

5. Travis G. says:

Wow. i actually agree with Hank.

• DonnieBaseballHallofFame aka they guy who has well documented history of belligerent thickheadedness and anti-intellectual character assassinations says:

Hank has a little bit of his dad in him, and that is a good and a bad thing.

I want Manny on this team more than any other free agent. We should have picked him off the Sox the times he was put on waivers.

• kimonizer says:

I think Manny for 2-3 would be great too. Great theatre if not great baseball, but probably great baseball. Imagine A-rod’s #’s

• But what do you do with the Nady/Damon/Matsui/Melky/Gardner logjam that already exists without killing our outfield D?

2009:
            LF- Manny
            CF-Gardner
            RF-Nady
            DH-Damon
            4th OF/LIDR- Melky

And I sell Hideki Matsui to Seattle for a $20 Starbucks gift card and the new Paul Simon CD.

Manny’s bad, but he’s not as bad as he’s portrayed. And, if we upgrade Matsui’s bat to Manny’s bat, I’m confident we can live with Gardner’s growing pains in CF… his glove makes up for it. Nady’s perfectly passable.

That’s an average to slightly above average outfield, both offensively and defensively.

P.S.
            2010:
            LF- Manny
            CF-Austin Jackson
            RF-Matt Holliday
            DH-Posada
            4th OF/LIDR- Gardner

Boom.

• Count Zero says:

Agreed — I ‘ll even let them keep the Paul Simon CD and throw in some Anime pr0n…

• kimonizer says:

I can see that but it is contingent on getting rid of Matsui, which is also not out of the question but not easy.

How was Manny’s defense in LA? I imagine that the left field there is at least somewhat closer to the stadium dimensions than Fenway is. He is after all one of those rare bats that manages to compensate for lost runs in the field.

6. Chuck says:

yea manny is pretty damn good. Im for a rick ankiel trade if it makes some sense. Isn’t his deal up after next season anyway? So its a short commitment incase it doesn’t work out too well.

• kimonizer says:

No to Ankiel. We need a bona fide centerfielder if we are going to add anything to the outfield. Defense is what needs improving not offense.

I really think the offense will take care of itself this year. Last year we got nothing from Posada and Matsui, they kind of replace Giambi and Abreu. Cano HAS to be better than he showed last year. Especially if he gets his act together like he seems to be doing. Also A-Rod and Jete injuries killed us for stretches. No to mention the sorry state of the bench last year and the potential for Swish/Punto/Ransom to cure some of that. The offense will turn it around.

Rejuvenated offense, up and coming bullpen, retooled starting pitching. All of these are on the way, lets get some speed and defense and finish it all off.

• Chuck says:

I think that makes sense, I agree. I am found of ankiel. especially for a year. He isn’t terrible defensively is he? He must have an arm.. as wild as it may be. I just hope they would go with ankiel over the other possible moves that have been thrown out there. I just see more potential/upside in an ankiel trade than a cameron trade. But I think Gardner was showing some good signs toward the end of last season.. mine as well see if it continues.

7. kimonizer says:

Man, the OF logjam really emphasizes why Cash is trying to get some roster flexibility. Whenever the Damon/Nady/Matsui trio comes up I think of how it would be easier to improve if we had just two of those three.

If we had just Damon/Nady then Damon DHes or LF, with Nady in one outfield position Melky/Gardner in center and an open outfield position to fill with FA. Good leadoff in Damon, better CF defense and the possibility to add some pop in a corner/DH: Dunn or Manny.

If we had just Damon/Matsui then then Matsui DHes, with Damon in one outfield position Melky/Gardner in center and an open outfield position to fill with FA. Good leadoff, solid DH with Matsui, good center defense and we look for a corner bat: Dunn.

If we had just Matsui/Nady then Matsui DHes, with Nady in one outfield position Melky/Gardner in center and an open outfield position to fill with FA. No leadoff but solid middle order bats in Mats and Nady and still flexibility to add another corner bat: Dunn.

But as it stands now adding any FA (Manny/Dunn) means bumping the young guys out of the field (since you have to play all the big contracts) and royally screwing any outfield defense. Also Manny is really only functional as a DH and Damon’s suspect CF defense and Matsui’s bad D prevents us from freeing up that space.

Considering how this is a lesson in roster flexibility, it makes me wonder why we would ever sign both Burnett and Lowe to long contracts as we would be creating the same kind of logjam in the rotation and limiting the upward flow of all the great upcoming pitching talent (Hughes, IPK, Betances, Brackman, etc., etc.)

That being said, next year’s hot stove should be interesting as Mats and Damon will be FAs and we will have lots of wholes to plug in the OF/DH realm. Hopefully Ajax will be ready.

Sorry that was long. I’m tuckered out now

8. Bruno says:

I’d love to see Rick Ankiel in CF. IPK and who else? Gardner? I’m Ok with that, but doubt St. Louis would be.

9. Tom Gaffney says:

Bloviating… nice word.

10. yankeefan91 Sign ,burnett or sheets and manny says:

make it happen this would be great adding a bat like ramirez to this offense i would love this is is just great

11. Mattingly's Love Child says:

I am seriously afraid of signing Manny for three reasons.

1. He is TERRIBLE in the outfield. Range is awful, arm is ok.

2. He is a NIGHTMARE on the bases. Taking the extra base at the wrong time, hustling at the wrong time, jogging A LOT of the time.

3. He is batshit insane. I don’t see him and Girardi really meshing very well. I can’t see Jeter really being accepting of him not running out balls, sleeping in the outfield, taking days off against Josh Beckett,etc… Basically the entire team will want to kill him by September.

He’s one of the greatest hitters of all time, but I’d feel more comfortable with The Bat or the Big Donkey.

• kimonizer says:

I’m not defending Manny’s craziness but weren’t these all from the last couple of years in Boston. Maybe he just went insane from being in Beantown (completely understandable). It is a huge risk but there is a possibility that being in NY and being around more players he feels are in his class as far as historical status (Jeter, Mo, A-rod, and even Posada) may make him a little less crazy like he was in Cleveland. The Red Sox have had some good players during their run, but where are all the future HOFers for him to actually feel any peer pressure from. Varitek? Ortiz? Schilling? Youkilis? The Red Sox have good players but not the same kind of gravitas that Manny might need to keep him in line.

Or I am just spouting hopeful BS and he is neither The Bat or Big Donkey, but a Batshit Ass

• Basically the entire team will want to kill him by September.

… and then they’ll look at the standings and realize that we’re in first place by 8 games, and that Manny and ARod are both OPS’ing 1100 and the entire league is scared shitless of the heart of our lineup in a way not seen since the 1930′s.

And we’ll be fine.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

I understand that. But won’t we all be going nuts when he ducks out of a bunch of games in August like he does every year?!

I know the lineup would be nasty with him. I guess if I felt confident that he wouldn’t bring his entire act to NYC with him.

Couldn’t we just move Jeter to center, sign Furcal and Dunn (to DH), and call it a day? I know the Cap’n won’t move off short, but wouldn’t that make them better defensively and offensively?

I guess though the easiest thing to do would be to sign the pact with the devil, oh I mean Manny. Have him DH and give away Matsui for a bag of balls.

• 7 Angels says:

he’d be dead by the 1st of july!!!!

12. The Evil Dynasty says:

Really, A – Rod and Manny on the same lineup card is just *** I’m too excited i’ll be right back.

13. Mike Pop says:

I’m not sure if your joking but your ridiculous if your not. That was mad obnoxious dude