Dec

Yanks, Brewers hammering out deal for Cameron

According to conflicting reports, the Yankees and Brewers have either agreed or are very close to agreeing on a trade that would send Melky Cabrera to the Brewers and Mike Cameron and his $10 million contract to the Yanks. Bill Hall may or may not be involved. More in a minute.

Update By Joe (10:32 a.m. EST): Dan Graziano says that the Yankees could include a pitching prospect, though it won’t be Ian Kennedy. The Haudricourt piece says that both teams are willing to explore Bill Hall, whom we do not like. The Brewers aren’t just going to give him away, though, and I don’t think he’s worth surrendering anything of value. If you want another utility guy, sign Nick Punto.

Joel Sherman says that the pitching prospect will depend on how much of Cameron’s $10 million salary Milwaukee is willing to absorb.

Categories : Transactions

1. Axl says:

MLBTR says the deal isn’t finalized and the Yankees might want Bill Hall either WITH or INSTEAD of Mike Cameron?!?

AWFUL.

Cameron has a hefty contract…they aren’t eating ANY of the money since we’re giving them a perfectly capable MLB ready young cheap Centerfielder???

Bill Hall SUCKS…I really hope the Yankees aren’t serious…what’s their deal?!?!?

5 years for AJ Burnett!!! Then Bill Hall!!!! What’s going on!!!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

2. Slugger27 says:

conflicting reports on whether or not this is finalized…

i think its an ok move, not great…. it really depends on how this affects their plans for other players… if the extra 10 million decreases their chances of signing dunn/tex/sheets/pettitte then i question it… if it in no way affects other FA signings, then i like it

bottom line is, hes a significant upgrade offensively over melky with only a SLIGHT defensive downgrade… melky wasnt gonna make the league minimum anymore, so as only a 1 year commitment, i like it ok… although i certainly would expect ajax to be the guy in 2010

3. Tim Q. Mills says:

This is a no-brainer. I love it.

We get a quality CF who can hit 25 HR, albeit while striking out quite often, but he brings something more to the table and that’s team chemistry.

ARod has been openly lobbying for Cameron for a few years and CC and Cameron became close friends in Milwaukee. You can’t put a price on that.

With the addition of Swisher, who is supposedly a great clubhouse guy and now Cameron I think we are doing a great job of building team chemistry.

• Slugger27 says:

“i think we are doing a great job of building team chemistry”

i dont get it…? how do u know how the chemistry will be until these new players actually play with the current players? dont they have to play together first before u judge their chemistry with the rest of the team? from what i can gather, arod played 1 season with cameron and sabathia 3 months with him… and nobody on the team has played with swisher… how can u already be assuming those 2 players will get along great with everybody?

• Tim Q. Mills says:

It’s common knowledge that Cameron is close friends with ARod and CC.

And I only hear positive reports regarding Swisher being a team-guy and a great clubhouse presence.

Based on their history I would say these are good steps towards building team chemistry.

• Slugger27 says:

i thought i heard something about swisher alienating his coaches in chicago… somethin about not wanting to bat leadoff or play CF or something… send me a link on the “team-guy clubhouse presence” thing if u have one

i think cameron being friends with CC and arod is about as insignifcant as it comes, not to mention i dont think the yankees had or have a chemistry problem, but yes i suppose if the 3 are friends it doesnt hurt anything

not being a jackass or anything just thought your original post was a little misleading and irrelevant, but hey, if they become the 3 musketeers im not gonna complain

• Chris C. says:

“It’s common knowledge that Cameron is close friends with ARod and CC.

Bringing a close friend of our best pitcher and best hitter to the team for 1 year seems like a good idea to me.”

Nobody is “close frends” with AROD.
          He’s too weird to have those kinds of friendships.

And I can almost guarentee that this deal was in place BEFORE Sabathia signed, as a way to further entice him to come to the YAnkees.

The way Cashman does business is embarassing. HE shows up at these meetings looking like the like the HS kid who’s dad bought him a Mercedes to drive to school.

• jsbrendog says:

they are all bonded in their love of ice cream.

4. DonnieBaseballHallofFame aka they guy who has well documented history of belligerent thickheadedness and anti-intellectual character assassinations says:

Great so we get another old PED guy making at least 10 million. We get rid of one of our cheap young players. I am not the biggest Melky fan in the world but this is another one of those DUMB MONEY moves.

Thumbs down for this one. I would rather sign Jimmy Edmonds for a half million dollar deal and keep Melky and let them and Gardner duke it out for time in spring training.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“I would rather sign Jimmy Edmonds for a half million dollar deal and keep Melky and let them and Gardner duke it out for time in spring training.”

(Just to preface, I honestly haven’t decided how I feel about this possible Cameron deal, this comment is not an endorsement of that deal.)

I don’t agree with those who think Jim Edmonds is a good option for the Yankees. Jim Edmonds used to be great, but he’s really not a very good baseball player anymore. He was ok in Chicago in 2008 (although not much better than Cameron, if better at all), but you can’t discount his extremely poor start to 2008 in San Diego or his poor season in St. Louis in 2007 (or his relatively poor season in 2006). And 2009 will be his age 39 season.

And DBHOF – The part about signing Edmonds for $500,000 is just wrong.

• DonnieBaseballHallofFame aka they guy who has well documented history of belligerent thickheadedness and anti-intellectual character assassinations says:

There is not a lot of wise actions going on if we keep bidding against ourselves for players.

Call Kenny Lofton or somebody else who will take a mill or less. I would rather focus on getting Sheets, Manny, Pettitte and a BENCH (that for some reason Cashman does not belive in having)

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“My point was we do not need another big salary old guy. I do not care if we sign Edmonds or not. I am not saying Jimmy Edmonds will be better than Cam in 09. I am saying let us save that money and spend it more wisely.”

That point is fine, but I can only react to the words you offer – words that said, above, that you “would rather sign Jimmy Edmonds for a half million dollar deal” than trade Melky for Cameron. I don’t mean this to be antagonistic, but you can’t really chide someone for not getting your point when they (or me, in this instance) react to words that have a pretty plain and straightforward meaning.

• jsbrendog says:

seriously, do you think before you say these things??

Damon in center is >>>>>>>> edmonds and damon can’t play every day there

Cameron >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>edmonds.

this deserves a face palm.

• A.D. says:

While stimulants are technically PEDs it somewhat different that he was taken greenies instead of steroids.

Cameron > Edmonds, and at this point Damon might be a better CF then Edmonds

• Slugger27 says:

“and at this point damon might be a better CF than edmonds”

for the past 3 seasons, edmonds has the 2nd worst range of any CF in baseball… ath this point damon is MUCH better than edmonds in CF i would think, at least range-wise… clearly jimmy has the better arm

at any rate, hell no to edmonds

Illegal drugs being taken to make you play better is what PED’s are. I understand the term. I also think that if you look at Cam you might have to question the roids issues with him since he also has no problem doing greenies.

I would rather do Melky, Gardner, some old guy in spring training and see who looks best out there. Give them a shot. I know people think that CF has to be a star because the splendid splinter and Mickey once roamed out there, but I would prefer the best team we could put together and that ten million could be spent toward Manny, Sheets, Pettitte and a got damn bench.

• Rick in Boston says:

Including Cameron does make this team better. Would you rather have someone hitting .250 with 10 home runs and getting on base 30% of the time, or would you rather have .250 with 20 home runs and getting on base 34% of the time?

• Rick in Boston says:

And, yes an amphetimine is a banned substance, but do we know exactly what he took? You’re making some pretty big judgements on someone without knowing exactly what he took. Did you know that if your doctor doesn’t get your prescription to the league office in time, your ADD medication or your anti-depresants are considering PED’s?

5. Tripp says:

Yes to Cameron
    No to Hall

Didn’t Hall sign some ridiculous contract a few years ago?

At least Cameron is signed for only a year.

• TurnTwo says:

i’m battling with myself over this.

everything i read and see otherwise says that the Yankees are NOT in Teixeira’s market, but Heyman refuses to give up this storyline.

is this just more incompitence from Heyman?

or maybe the Yankees dump getting a 3rd FA pitcher and use the money to sign Teixeira, and maybe turn around and trade Nady and pitching elsewhere for another arm for the 5th spot in the rotation?

or maybe the Yanks are just trying to drive up the price on Teixeira for Boston?

6. Steve S says:

I don’t like this at all. Especially with the idea of extending him to 2010?? Really??? And I dont see how they can add another bat through free agency, unless they figure out a way to trade Nady, Damon and Mastui. And to be honest unless they get another first baseman, Nady is the only one that can really play right field. I dont see what the rush is. Let the Dunn, Manny and Tex market develop and if you can get any one of them, then you can afford to gamble on gardner or melky play center, so long as they can play defense. Please no extension to 2010.

7. Double-J says:

Boo, I’m not really in favor of this, Cameron is kind of meh in my book, and I do like Melky, I was hoping he’d get a shot at turning it around this year. Please go after Tex though…I’m hoping that we’ll do a reverse of the Beltran scenario where instead of declining the last call for Tex, we’ll just up the money and get him, and leave the legwork to the other teams. :-P

• Double-J says:

Addendum: Tex or Manny/Dunn, although while I’m pushing very hard for Manny, I’d say we need Tex long-term more.

• Axl says:

The idea of having Tex, Arod, and a re-signed Jeter all in their early 40′s at the same time…doesn’t really make me feel good about the future if that happens…where would they all play??

8. TurnTwo says:

Cameron > Melky.

thats really all that has to be said about the deal. its an upgrade, and provides insurance if Gardner turns out to be a total hack.

now, Cameron can player everyday, and Gardner can be the 4th OF, pinch runner/hitter off the bench, get some playing time to give guys days off.

and if Gardner plays his way into the everyday lineup, thats a bonus and a pleasant surprise.

9. Tim Q. Mills says:

There is no way we are serious about Tex.

10. Will says:

The scary thing is that they really could sign all of Sabathia, Burnett, Sheets/Pettite, and Texiera and wouldn’t have a higher payroll then last year, maybe just by a couple million or so. Obviously the Cameron trade could/would change that but still

11. Mister Delaware says:

Its a great move. In Giambi and Abreu, we lost the 3rd and 4th ranked hitters last year in P/PA. In Swisher (1st) and now Cameron (7th), we’ve essentially replaced their patience at less than 1/2 the cost. Granted, there’s an overall step down in production if you just take those four, but the overall lineup (Matsui, Posada, Swisher, Cameron in – Giambi, Abreu, Melky/Gardner, Molina out) is improved. Now lets get A.J. and go home happy.

• Axl says:

Yeah but who’s to say everybody stays healthy? Matsui went from Iron Man to Glass Man…Posada was never injured before really so who knows…Wang same thing…haven’t heard much about Wang which scares me also…

OBP is nice…but it’s even better when the players hit well too…

• Mister Delaware says:

“And Abreu’s bat along with Giambi’s bat (hitting wise…not resting on the shoulder) are far superio to Swisher’s and Cameron’s.”

Sure, if you forecast worst case scenario for everything (probably include a Punto for Jeter swap as well), things look bad. Even if only one of Matsui and Posada return to good health and you add in a replacement level player, we’re still probably better than last year where 8/9 was an absolute drain on the lineup.

• Slugger27 says:

factoring in defense, one could argue that swisher/cameron is better than abreu/giambi…. abreu/giambi were 2 of the worst defensive players at their positions, so u gotta factor in that siwsh/cameron are both big defensive upgrades…. when u factor in their salaries, i think swish/cameron is better easily

12. Manny Ramirez says:

This better not kill my chances of being in pinstripes.. I want Boston’s ass 18 times this year! Ariba!!

13. Axl says:

Joel Sherman is reporting that another pitcher is to be added WITH Melky for 10 million dollar Mike Cameron…

In other news I heard Ian Kennedy was going to be traded for Royce Clayton…

• jsbrendog says:

haha that’s like the antithesis of ipk and melky for pujols. ipk for royce clayton haha

• Tim Q. Mills says:

If they are asking for a pitcher then they are going to eat some of the salary.

I guess we have to wait and see how much they eat and what pitcher we send before we can say it’s a bad idea.

14. E-ROC says:

One year stopgap in Mike Cameron sounds good to me. I don’t know why the Yanks are trying to get Bill Hall but I wouldn’t be mad about that even though he is not that good. However, Hall does add more versatility to the bench as he can play many different positions; though that doesn’t mean he can defend at those positions.

15. Tim Q. Mills says:

God I wish this blog was on SB Nation – it’s so much easier to keep track of the new comments on that type of blog.

16. ko says:

I commend Cashman on this one. Cabrera, Gardner and Damon are not answers. This probably allows the Yankees to go a bit more slowly with AJax, bringing him up when he’s ready. I like Rowand but I don’t think the Giants are looking to unload people. DeJesus would have been an upgrade, but the Yankees would have probably had to pay a premium for him – not worth it for a stopgap type of player. Cameron is a perfect addition for a year or two – he’s much better than what they had in center field.

17. JohnC says:

LOL!!!!!!!! Also in Sherman’s article it says execs from other teams are now complaining to the Commishioner’s office about the yanks spending in such an economy. Boy, they loved to make fun of the Yanks when they didn’t spend last year , but as soon as they soend some money they start whining again. Too bad little crybabies!

18. RustyJohn says:

I don’t know how anyone can say a Cameron for Melky trade is bad for the Yankees- you get a center fielder that can cover some ground, field, and hit 25 homeruns in exchange for a guy that was one of the worst, if not the worst, offensive center fielders last year.

Yes, getting fid of a .641 OPS in exchange for an .808 OPS is horrible. Curse you and your 25 homers, Cameron!

19. Will says:

Stark says the Yanks could still be in on Lowe even with Burnett. This is starting to sound like that Onion article where the Yanks sign all of MLB

• Axl says:

5 years of Burnett is horrible.

Could be AJ Pavano all over again…

And for the price of Carlos Zambrano???

So far this off season isn’t looking the best…long term wise…

• Slugger27 says:

just due diligence… they wont sign both… this means nothing

i cant imagine cashman ((knowing all the pitching prospects he has coming up thru the system)) will voluntarily lock up 3 rotation spots for the next 4 year+ years… i wouldnt look into this much at all

20. Adam B. says:

UZR using BIS data (can see the numbers at Fangraphs.com) rated Cameron as the third best defensive CF on a rate basis. The Fans Scouting Report rated him highly as well. And we’re improving the offense also. As long as the pitching prospect given up makes sense given the money kicked in, this is a good deal.

21. Matthew says:

While I like Cam, and he’s def an upgrade to the Melk man, I would have loved to seen him develop into and everyday CF.

22. Axl says:

How will this effect Robinson Cano? These guys were good buddies…

I’m sure it has to have at least SOME effect on him…

23. Mike Pop says:

Could be better to unload Melky now before he starts making more money and is less attractive because of this

24. A.D. says:

I’d prefer to take on the full 10M… and not offer a pitching prospect

• steve (different one) says:

depends. if the Yankees have a hard payroll cap, and getting Milwaukee to eat salary allows them to do something else, it may not be a bad idea.

keep in mind the Yankees NEED roster spots. “selling” a prospect in exchange for the roster spot might not be the worst idea.

• A.D. says:

Thats true… we’re probably talking Wright or Hacker… whom I like, but aren’t exactly the future…or a reliever, and its not going to Melancon, so no real bigge

25. steve (different one) says:

i don’t get why people are freaking out about all sorts of stuff that hasn’t happened yet.

Melky for Cameron straight up is a heist.

if the Yankees trade a B prospect to get Milwaukee to eat salary, even better.

i can’t see them getting Hall, so why freak out?

26. Mike Pop says:

Just for fun, Melky and Cano are in this video

27. Nady Nation says:

why are we trading melky for this old dude we should save him to trade for peavy i like peavy

28. jsbrendog says:

sign burnett to a contract sliiiightly over atlanta’s then trade him to atlanta for prospects. and eat some salary haha

29. Tim Q. Mills says:

Abraham on Ben Sheets:

“the Yankees have what seem to be legitimate concerns about his health.”

That blows. I really wanted a healthy sheets to at least start the season.

It seems odd that he declined arbitration if he doesn’t think he is healthy and his medical records prove otherwise.

• jsbrendog says:

good pooint. maybe he measn his long term durability over a shortt term contract. if youre only signing the guy to 2 yrs then a serious injury elimintes the whole contract and you’re paying him to sit in your sauna in tampa coughcoughpavanocoughcough

• gxpanos says:

Aaaaawww maaaan. I was afraid of this after there was no movement after the initial rumors. That sucks, I would’ve loved for the Yanks to have a healthy Sheets, or even 20 starts from Sheets.

I hope this isn’t what’s making Cashman go all nuts over AJ with the 5/80 and whatnot. At this point, with Sheets out of the picture, I pull the Burnett offer QUICK, make one offer to Lowe with no room for negotiation, a take it or leave it thing, and go after Tex, matching the Nats, even.

And if Lowe leaves it, sign Pettitte.

30. Old Ranger says:

Cameron and Hall to the Yanks? I hate this one a lot. 27/09.

31. Axl says:

What happened with signing cheap defensive whiz Nick Punto?? Bill Hall is a mess….