Feb

Pondering Pedro

Now that the Mets have signed Livan Hernandez, the team does not expect to resign Pedro Martinez, and the MLBTR community is wondering who will. A month ago, before the Yanks brought Andy Pettitte back into the fold, I advocated taking a flier on the one-time Yankee nemesis. I’d still say give him a look. Bring him to camp for the depth. If he looks good, I’m sure the Yanks could find a trading partner, and if not, they can just cut him loose. It won’t happen, but it’s an interesting thought at least.

1. Charlie says:

Very interesting, but very unlikely.

2. pounder says:

PLEASE GOD……..NO!

3. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Maybe he can be reunited with Zim down in Tampa Bay.

4. Manimal says:

Never in a million years would I want Pedro in pinstripes.

5. Justin says:

NOOOOOOOO…

Edited by RAB: Fixed the whole stretched out page thing.

6. Mike Pop says:

Let him go to the Marlins. No need for him.

7. Jamal G. says:

He was sitting 89-90 MPH when he got back in his groove after he returned from injury in August. He still has the great Changeup, so maybe a return to the bullpen as Trevor Hoffman redux is a possibility.

8. Ryan S. says:

He’d give Brett Tomko a run for his money!

9. andrew says:

I know every so often everyone misses something on a guy, but isn’t it a sign that nobody else is trying to bring him in on a minor league deal? Why wouldn’t those teams who would trade for him if he looked good in the Yankees camp just sign him themselves and see if he looked good in their camp, without giving up a prospect?

• TheLastClown says:

Well the idea is that no one would want to trade for him UNTIL he has a good spring. So you’re taking a flier on a potentiality, trying to predict some success.

• andrew says:

Right, but if the whole point of taking a flier on him is that it’s a no-risk investment, why wouldn’t those other teams be interested in a flier on him.
        I know it’s a minute detail in the whole scheme of things, but i just don’t really get it logically.

On the main issue, sure, sign the guy. I think he’d be great in a bullpen role where he could crank it up and maybe get back up to 93-94, but i doubt thats what he wants to be doing.

10. Johnny says:

If I’m not mistaken, he and Jorge swore a blood oath to attack each other on sight. not really, but it’s known that the two of them have a peronal dislike of one another. I don’t know where he ends up but it’s not the yankees. I hope he ends up on one of the worst teams in baseball. maybe seattle or pittburgh

11. Al says:

He should go out to LA. It’s like a retirement community for former Sawx players.

12. Jamal G. says:

Heh, this is from a commenter on the Harper article:

In the system we will see Melancon this year and Crousset in years to come. Joba to the pen is short sighted, silly, and bad baseball.

I think someone got “beered” by the RAB faithful.

13. Al says:

Of course, the best part of this post is the first sentence:

Sorry. It just made me laugh out loud thinking about everyone in Queens anticipating the arrival of Livan Hernandez to Jupiter, FL… or where ever their ST facilities are.

14. Drew says:

TOO MANY PITCHERS!! wait did I just say that? HOLY SH**!!

15. NickyTheSwish says:

I would find the thought of Pedro coming out of the bullpen very intriguing if not for the fact that he’s Pedro.

16. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“Andrew Brackman threw in the bullpen as well. No, there was no radar gun. But Jose Molina (who caught him) and the Yankees people who watched were all quite impressed. “Outstanding,” third base coach Rob Thomson said.”

Apparently, he’s very good.

Put him in the bullpen immediately.

• andrew says:

Shorten the game!! Mo 9, Joba 8, CC 7, AJ 6, CMW 5, Pettitte 4, Brackman 3. Kennedy and Hughes can take turns pitching the first two innings!!

17. Double-J says:

Even though I don’t *like* Pedro, I’d like to see him on the Yankees.

Much like my philosophy on A-Rod (don’t care about personal life/recent steroid stuff – just hit the ball), if Pedro could go out there and give us decent innings, I’d be fine. Chuck the rock, dammit.

18. Pedro is done. No reason to get him. Besides they have Brett Tomko now so they are set. In fact Tomko is so good they might as well trade Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy.

19. Drew says:

Miggy signed with the Phillies. Hope he makes the team.

20. Dan MacTiernan says:

NOOOOOOO…

Edited by RAB. Again. Stop it.

21. Mike @ NYYU says:

I’d rather have Pedro in camp than Bret Tomko!