Apr

Kennedy has a vasospasm

I don’t know what it is either, but the good news is that it can be treated with with some good old fashioned drugs. PeteAbe has the news (3:50pm update). Kennedy left Monday’s start with numbess in one of his fingers on his pitching hand, and was sent to New York for tests. The wiki entry makes it sound really bad, but the Yanks say IPK will have a follow up appointment with the doctor on Monday and could resume throwing soon thereafter. Let’s all wish him a safe and speedy recovery.

Categories : Asides, Injuries, Minors

1. jsbrendog says:

well played mike. before i had even finished reading the title i was mumbling what the fuck is that?!!? and its as if you heard me with your first line of text. wel played

2. UWS says:

Give him some nitroglycerin and he’ll be good to go.

3. I’m with Ben here. I’m actually kind of worried about this.

If there’s a blood spasm-ie, blood’s not getting through one of the vessels, even a minor one like a finger, it could indicate a clot of some sort.

I’m not entirely familiar with medicine (okay, my medical knowledge is limited mostly to historical epidemics like plague, syphilis and cholera), but any sort of clot would be very worrying.

Clots can be treated with medicine, sure, but there’s no saying they won’t occur again, or that they don’t portend a more serious risk, like Coney in 1996.

4. steve (different one) says:

Kennedy had a vasospasm? i guess he really didn’t want any children.

5. Matt ACTY says:

/calls cousin in medical school.

6. Bill says:

I’ve had the same thing happen to me. 3 years ago, I felt a sharp pain my chest. The put me on a helicopter and dropped me straight into an operating theater for an angiogram. I spent 2 days in the cardio ICU where I was the youngest person in the ward, by about 20 years.

They may not find an underlying cause for him; they sure didn’t for me. If they stick him with “Prinzmetal’s Angina” that’s a sign that the doctor’s couldn’t find anything. The good news is that it shouldn’t be life threatening. The drugs that I take to stave off any recurrences is like $20 a month.

I was unlucky because the blood vessel effected by the vasospasm was the main artery feeding my heart. If his is in a less critical location, he should be able to resume pitching soon. Good luck to him!

7. Rich says:

*paging Will Carroll*

8. [...] River Ave. Blues, Ian Kennedy has a vasospasm, which is causing numbness of the middle finger of his pitching hand. [...]

9. Justin says:

Vasospasms can occur thoughout the body for a wide variety of reasons. In someone IPKs age and considering the location of the spasm it is highly unlikely that this would be anything serious or a harbinger of some really bad underlying condition.
    Sorry for the dork alert but this just isn’t a cause for long term concern

10. Steve says:

Justin is right. Something to keep an eye on, but not really serious.

11. Shamik says:

I am not very high on Kennedy but I am wiling to give him another chance. He is pitching GREAT in the minors and he has to be able to bring some of that to the majors. Maybe he just needs some time.

12. Lanny says:

Glad he’s ok. He needs to keep upping his trade value because he’s prime bait come July.

13. [...] Kennedy has a vasospasm / A look at some of the power rankings / Melky starts Start the A-Rod countdown  / Pitchers dealing with injuries / False alarm Kennedy: “It doesn’t seem like it should be very long”  / Joba gets it done [...]

14. [...] was causing him to lose feeling in his fingers, and will have surgery on Tuesday. The problem was originally diagnosed as a vasospasm and didn’t appear too serious. Dr. George Todd will perform the surgery, he’s the same [...]

15. Aw, this was a honestly quality article. In theory I’d like to compose like this also – getting time and true effort in making a very good article..
    . but what can I say..
    . I procrastinate alot and in no way seem to have anything executed.