Jun

Quick Hits: Bruney, Chipper, Mo

Got a few tabs open that don’t really warrant a post of their own, so let’s stick them all here:

• Marc Carig reports that Brian Bruney is using a portable hyperbaric chamber for his elbow. Apparently it’s worked for him in the past. They make portable versions of those things now?
  • PeteAbe says that Joba Chamberlain asked Chipper Jones for an autographed jersey. The Braves were really the first team with national exposure because of TBS, so there are tons and tons of people out there who grew up Braves fans.
  • Tyler Kepner has a slew of odds and ends from Atlanta. Although he didn’t reveal the exact amount, Brian Cashman did say that the team received more than the $20,000 waiver fee from the Indians for Jose Veras. Sounds like no one was interested in a player-for-player deal, so Cash took the best offer he could get.
  • T-Kep also notes that the Yanks paid just $1 when they acquired Chris Stewart from the White Sox before the season, and that Phil Hughes‘ birthday present to himself was a tattoo from Nick Swisher‘s tattoo guy.
  • Joel Sherman writes about the amazing Mariano Rivera and the pursuit of his 500th career save. Mo is sitting at 498 after last night. We all know that wins and saves are highly overrated and essentially meaningless stats, but the 500 save & 300 win plateaus are amazing accomplishments just because of the longevity they represent. This was probably worth a mention in Ben’s Mariano Rivera Appreciate Thread, but whatever.
  • In case you missed the late update to DotF last night, Casey Fossum used an out in his contract and elected to become a free agent. It hasn’t been confirmed, but it looks like Ivan Nova might get bumped up from Double-A Trenton to take his rotation spot.
  • Finally, for posterity’s sake, the Yanks DFA’d Angel Berroa yesterday when they activated Cody Ransom. While everyone and their mothers already knows this news, we neglected to mention it yesterday. Berroa will be fondly remembered for making outs in 21 of his 24 Yankee plate appearances and for somehow lasting nearly two months on the team.
Categories : Links

1. Anyone says:

$1????? Damn that’s worse than being traded for a dozen bats!!!

2. ChrisS says:

and for somehow lasting nearly two months on the team.

Which is amazing. He was a MLer for two months just in case ARod clutched his hip and went down in pain in the middle of the game and Cano or Jeter were then injured in the same game.

3. Billy says:

i wonder if joba asked chipper for the jersey before or after the game.

4. Charlie says:

when did jose veras get claimed off waivers? How did i miss this??

5. Jake K. says:

Nova moving up a level? Me likey.

6. Billy says:

$20,000 is awfully low for a guy who throws 95. its hard to believe a better deal wasnt out there

7. Ed says:

Why hasn’t McAllister pitched lately?

8. RAB poster says:

Damn we lost Veras for a freaking song.

Couldn’t they find somebody stupid enough to give more than $20,000?

9. PeteAbe says that Joba Chamberlain asked Chipper Jones for an autographed jersey. The Braves were really the first team with national exposure because of TBS, so there are tons and tons of people out there who grew up Braves fans.

Eh, sort of.

TBS became the first “superstation” in 1976 broadcasting Braves games into all markets, but WGN was right behind them with nationwide Cubs broadcasts starting in the 1980′s.

Growing up in Nebraska like Joba, I know there’s plenty of both Braves fans and Cubs fans for that exact reason. I’d guess that Joba picked Chipper because he was the man on one of the two teams he got frequent opportunity to see on a regular basis, but it’s probably more of a coin-toss between Chipper and Sammy Sosa than we’d like to think.

• jsbrendog says:

wgn is the reason i was such a huge bulls fan.

wgn + michael jordan + getting to see all 82 games between tnt/tbs/wgn + winning a lot = lobing jordan and the bulls.

• Bo says:

Bulls fan? The reason is you’re a front runner. Nice Brady jersey too.

• John says:

It’s possible. I am a Yanks fan because I’m originally from NY. However, not watching basketball much until 2000, I am a huge Lakers fan as they came on TV a lot (and Kobe is my fav player as I tried to make my game exactly like his, even changing my shooting style a bit to match his). I’ve been a Colorado for 10 years now so my favorite team is the Nuggets. I like the Broncos and the Rox are my 2nd favorite team.

• jsbrendog says:

bo = read fail just like bo = everything else fail

was.

i could give a shit about “nba” once jordan left. It was mroe jordan than anything else. and i love to watch football but i dont have a team. but I do have a healthy hatred of all things patriots/bellichek/brady.

so, youre attempt at insults, as usual and par for your depressing sad little existence, fail.

• RAB poster says:

Question then: Why Yankees?

• “… but it’s probably more of a coin-toss between Chipper and Sammy Sosa than we’d like to think.”

I disagree because I think that the portion of the country without an MLB team to call its own that would identify with a team from Atlanta was much larger than the portion of the country without an MLB team to call its own that would identify with a team from Chicago (red states, I’m looking squarely at you). People in places like Tennessee and Alabama and Mississippi, I think, were much more likely to root for a team from Georgia than a team from Chicago.

• Ed says:

Don’t forget though that TBS is in a lot more homes than WGN. TBS is carried pretty much universally by cable networks, but WGN isn’t.

• Right, another good point… I meant to ask how far WGN’s reach actually was/is. We didn’t have it in the Northeast when I was a kid, but the whole country had TBS and the Braves every night.

• jsbrendog says:

i grew up in ny right outside of danbury ct and i had wgn from the time i got cable til around the time probably around ohhhh digital cable and super specialized cable companies came in when they took wgn off. i want to say until prob like late 90s? no…cause i watched the 72-10 bulls on wgn..id say 2000-2002 is when they took wgn off the basic cable package and you had to pay for it then

• Ed says:

I don’t think WGN is carried much on the east coast. From some quick Googling, it looks like they only got into California about 5 years ago. Seems like they’re big in the middle of the country though.

• CountryClub says:

I grew up in CT, went to college in LI and now live in PA and I’ve never had WGN. So it must not have been truly National. Had TBS though and I hated the Braves because they were called America’s team. They were called that even when they were awful. I always found that funny.

10. This was probably worth a mention in Ben’s Mariano Rivera Appreciate Thread, but whatever.

Mike >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ben

11. Chris A says:

I really don’t understand how Bruney uses a portable hyperbaric chamber for his elbow. I’m not a doctor or anything, so all I really know about hyperbolic chambers is that they deliver oxygen at higher pressure than normal, and that the patient usually sits/lays in a large tube thing. If anyone knows more about portable hyperbaric chambers I’d depreciate if you explained them to me.

• RAB poster says:

I am totally lost dude. I imagined a little capsule thing that he strapped around his elbow that pumped oxygen.

• Therapeutic principles

Several therapeutic principles are made use of in HBOT:
      - The increased overall pressure is of therapeutic value when HBOT is used in the treatment of decompression sickness and air embolism .
      - For many other conditions, the therapeutic principle of HBOT lies in a drastically increased partial pressure of oxygen in the tissues of the body. The oxygen partial pressures achievable under HBOT are much higher than those under breathing pure oxygen at normobaric conditions (i.e. at normal atmospheric pressure).
      - A related effect is the increased oxygen transport capacity of the blood. Under atmospheric pressure, oxygen transport is limited by the oxygen binding capacity of hemoglobin in red blood cells and very little oxygen is transported by blood plasma. Because the hemoglobin of the red blood cells is almost saturated with oxygen under atmospheric pressure, this route of transport cannot be exploited any further. Oxygen transport by plasma, however is significantly increased under HBOT.

• JP says:

The principle is to speed natural recovery by increasing oxygen delivery to tissues.

Studies designed to test if hyperbaric therapy speeds recovery from athletic injuries have had mixed results, and many were not well-designed studies.

Opinions on the benefits of hyperbaric therapy range from people who think it’s as legit as traditional physical therapy to people who put it just a rung or two above outright quackery.

So the answer is that nobody knows whether it does any good, but there’s no evidence that it hurts anyone. Athletes will “try anything” to get an edge, and given the evidence available thus far, hyperbaric therapy falls into the ‘try anything’ bin for now.

• jsbrendog says:

he should just have jorge pee on his elbow.

12. Chris A says:

I’m sorry the last sentence is supposed to be I’d “appreciate” if. I have some stupid plugin that randomly changes words.

13. Yankee1010 says:

Anybody see what DeLeon did today? That kid is on fire.

Today:
    1-1, 2 R, 1 HR, 3 BB.

It’s only 3 games, but it’s quite the impressive start:
    6-9, 5 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 BB, 2 K, 3 SB, 0 CS.

Of course, he has only 1 RBI, so the MSM will soon be telling us how unclutch he is.

• Chris V. says:

Wow the GCL yanks had a lefty 2b today.

• John says:

I like it but way too early. Remember Eric Duncan started hot too.

• Yankee1010 says:

I know it’s a really small sample, but it’s better than completely sucking out of the gate his first time in the US. He’ll have to show he can hit the breaking ball, but they weren’t intentional walks, so that’s a good sign.

I also don’t know if Duncan has quite the raw power potential that DeLeon does.

• John says:

Yea, I was just saying SSS but like you said, it’s better than sucking. I am very excited with his performance so far.

• dan says:

And despite Montero’s small struggle to adjust to AA, he still has 7 walks and 5 strikeouts.

14. UWS says:

Why did no one mention this quote in Kepner’s piece?

“Some people get cute and send 100 pennies,” Cashman said. “I don’t have time for cute.”

15. jsbrendog says:

fossum should get picked up by someone quick, wasn’t he doing very well in aaa?

and weren’t the mets the ones who let him go? shit if im them i pick him right back up.

• Ed says:

The stats look good, but he was only going about 5 innings per start. He was throwing way too many pitches. I imagine he’d get hit hard in the majors.

16. Bob Stone says:

I have a question about waiver fees. I thought the standard waiver fee was $50,000. If for some reason the player ended up back with his original waiving team, $25,000 was sent back to the claiming team. Do I just remember incorrectly or did the rules change? If the rules did change, when did it take place?

• Mike Axisa says:

Those are the Rule 5 Draft rules ($25k if his old team wants him back), but I thought the waiver fee was $50,000 as well. Not sure when that changed.

• Bob Stone says:

Thanks Mike – I just never heard of a waiver fee of $20,000. It sounded strange. I did an internet search regarding waiver fees/rules but gave up after about half an hour. There are tons of articles about the rules but nothing that I could find in that time about the standard fees.

BTW, I love your writing over at mlbtraderumors.com

17. teix is the man says:

Anybody gotta good pic of hughes’ tatoo? I can’t find one.