Oct

NLCS Game One: Phillies @ Dodgers

2009 NLCSTwo full days after the Phillies made a remarkable comeback against Huston Street and the Rockies in Game Four of the National League Division Series, the Championship is finally ready to get underway. It’s not as bad as the brutal four day layoff the Yankees and Angels have to endure, but it’s bad enough.

In case you forgot, this year’s NLCS is a rematch of last year’s NLCS, except the Dodgers have home field advantage this year, not the Phillies. Cole Hamels will start the series off for the Phightin’s, the same way he did last year. Los Angeles will counter with the Clayton Kershaw, who graduated high school just three years ago. Since their lineup is loaded with lefty power hitters, the Phillies might have their hands full with young southpaw, who held lefties to a .173-.237-.252 batting line this year.

TBS is carrying the game (and the entire series), with first pitch scheduled for 8:07pm ET. Here’s the lineups:

Philadelphia
Jimmy Rollins, SS
Shane Victorino, CF
Chase Utley, 2B
Ryan Howard, 1B
Jayson Werth, RF
Raul Ibanez, LF
Pedro Feliz, 3B
Carlos Ruiz, C
Cole Hamels, SP (10-11, 4.32 regular season)

Los Angeles
Rafael Furcal, SS
Matt Kemp, CF
Andre Ethier, RF
Manny Ramirez, LF
James Loney, 1B
Casey Blake, 3B
Ronnie Belliard, 2B
Russell Martin, C
Clayton Kershaw, SP (8-8, 2.79 regular season)

Use this thread to chat about the game, or whatever else you please. Just make sure you follow the guidelines and be cool to each other.

1. Dela G says:

should be a good series.

How come no one has noticed that manny ramirez hasn’t hit a home run in eons?

2. nathan says:

Brace yourself for some unconditional fawning at the greatness of Joe Torre..

he

– who negotiated his contract when Grady little was still manager
    – who now has a new tiff with a new ownership
    – who is the reason Ethier, Kemp, Kershaw, Billingsley matured
    – who is the reason above 4 were drafted years back and waiting for Torre to uncork their potential
    – who is so brilliant that he starts Padilla 2 times this series

oh by the way, Tom Verducci pack ur bags to LA, Joe Green tea is ready with his’ Dodger Year’ stories

the one where he will talk abt
    – Manny’s female drugs
    – Kemp’s tea habbit
    – Ethier’s comb

anything else discussed in the clubhouse…

here come the lovers

3. Look at Tim flashing the Leather!

4. Celebrity Jeopardy

Kareem Abdul Jabar: I went to UCLA for $400
    Alex Trebek: This dude said this about this
    KAJ: Who is Kareem Abdul Jabar?
    AT: NO! You said it, but it was about Bill Walton!

5. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I was just trying to figure out what happened, then I realized that you guys most have taken down this post once? Either that or I’m going insane…..and you will be reaping all the benefits.

6. Salty Buggah says:

Had a 300 page book to read and essay to write on it by 11 tonight. I hadn’t even started the book yet. I ask the professor for an extention, he tells me its due at 11 no matter what. So, I tell the best looking girl in the class to ask the professor for more time. He extends the due date until Saturday night. AWESOME!

7. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

It looks like the rosters for the Dominican Winter League is slowing leaking out. Just Cleveland affiliated players are known, but I would guess there will be a flood of announcements tonight, being that the league starts tomorrow and all.

8. Just saw the TBS pregame for the first time ever:

Dennis Eckersley and David Wells look like morons. Fellas, go hire stylists.

• Yeah, there’s a reason I don’t watch pregames

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

They try to recreate their basketball studio crew. It doesn’t work. Barkley is the best. He says outrageous stuff, but he really, really knows his basketball. That’s where someone like Wells or Kruk falls short, they say outrageous things, but they’re idiots about their sport.

• vin says:

I know he’s not part of TBS’s baseball crew, but now that you made the comparison… Kenny Smith kind of reminds me of Harold Reynolds.

Tries to be interesting and informative, but for some reason I never really take him seriously.

Not sure if The Jet is a sexual harasser.

• Ferb says:

Excuse me, Andy, But when has Barkley ever made actual basketball points that were oblivious to anyone who studies the game. Yeah, he make points about the sport to those who never watch any other basketball related media other than the NBA on TNT events. He is without a doubt a racist basket case that everyone loves to laugh at.

• He is without a doubt a racist basket case that everyone loves to laugh at.

Barkley is a “racist basket case”?

Examples/evidence, please? I missed that one.

• Ferb says:

Okay, I guess to be fair he’s not a hateful bigot but he does have a significant tendency to use race to argue his points outside the basketball arena. Most of his statements would easily be branded hateful racist retoric if he was not some goofy ex- ballplayer in a manner of other goofball ex-jocks.

Still, if you need examples there have been so many it’s hard to imagine you have never notice it before. But there was the incident of him claiming a large portion of McCain voters were racists; there was the time he went on a rant about his ex-college, Auburn signing a coach due mainly to racist school officials.
            Also, he has claimed our former president George Bush was a racist and the list goes on and on.

All, in all, I ‘m not going to demand this guy to be fired but please don’t proclaim him anything more than a lovable goofy idiot. Although, at times he does say pretty smart stuff on the game of basketball.

• Are you serious? WOW, this is really sad to see how the ever-hip and cool TSJC is blinded into naivety by his color shades of judgement.

Okay, I guess to be fair he’s not a hateful bigot…

So, then, your original statement that he’s a “racist basket case” was wrong, then. Thanks for being up front about it.

…but he does have a significant tendency to use race to argue his points outside the basketball arena.

Doesn’t make him a racist. Speaking about racial issues does not make him a racist. Race influences and impacts America in a great number of ways, so using race to argue his points is neither racist nor wrongheaded.

I doubt that.

A large portion of them ARE racists.

There is significant reason to believe Turner Gill, a black man married to a white woman, played a large factor in Auburn not choosing to hire him. Barkley is not the only one who has spoken out on that issue; just the other day, ESPN Outside the Lines did a show about the topic. Are they racists too?

I’d like to see the specific text of that. Was he talking about Bush specifically, or about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which is a more intricate issue and which is most definitely racially tinged? Elaborate.

I didn’t. I didn’t proclaim him anything. YOU proclaimed him a racist basket case, and then immediately backtracked from that. So, whatevs.

• ROBTEN says:

I see a golden cross-over opportunity…

Coming up on the next episode of Project Runway, baseball announcers who are tired of a wardrobe as dumb as their comments!

9. Jose says:

Any picks for NLCS MVP?

10. Riddering says:

No matter who wins this series, we’ll be seeing dishtowels in the WS. So sad.

11. A baseball game?!?! What sort of novel concept is this?!!

12. Riddering says:

The Phillies are just a bunch of ballplayers.

13. A-Rod is my dad AKA The Evil Empire says:

Phillies or Dodgers? Who do you want to play?

14. Joey says:

There’s the first “fisted” of the night!

15. The Artist says:

Ooooof. Manny is fucking shot.

16. It’s sad that 45 F is actually warmer than it is outside.

THE FUCKITy FUCK FUCK BATMAN!?

17. samuel k bronkowitz says:

Chip doesn’t seem as excited with the Twins not playing.

18. JMK aka The Overshare says:

In response to the constant (justified) criticism of the announcers in baseball: I wouldn’t exactly call MNF’s experiment with Dennis Miller a success, but I’m not sure the model is wrong. Why not add someone to inject a little humor (intentional, that is) into a broadcast and a personality that is willing to call out the others on the stupid, often inaccurate crap they say?

19. Mike Pop says:

He’s not 37 because he didn’t play till later in his career.

20. Mike Pop says:

There’s Loney’s power!

21. Mike Axisa says:

That’s just the second homer Loney’s hit at home all year. Eight in the last two seasons now.

22. dodgers are hitting bombs, even the outs, against Hamels.

23. The Artist says:

Mets have a new set of bricks to sell, if anyone’s interested.

I know what you’re thinking, but they’re really, really nice bricks. The type you be proud to have hold down a stack of papers that you have no intention of ever going through on your desk.

24. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Cole Hamels looks like he auditioned for a role in Twilight before the game.

25. Mike Pop says:

Manny goes yard this inning.

26. B says:

Who are the announcers for today’s game in LA?

27. Rey22 says:

Ah, of course, what would a TBS series be without all the fisting..

28. Dela G says:

ruiz murdered that ball

wow

29. Cole Hamels: feared at the plate.

30. Mike Pop says:

This game just got out of hand fast.

31. JM says:

Kershaw was flat out not effective. So far, 90 pitches and it was about a 50/50 B/S Ratio.

• Zack says:

Are you saying he’s not concentrating out there? Not focused? Should be in AAA? Not a big game pitcher? Feels like he can’t lose his rotation spot? Too big of an ego? etc etc

32. Don’t blow it, Cole.

33. Riddering says:

Wow. That was Knoblauchian.

34. Chase…seriously? Wtf?

35. Did they just play “Mr. Brightside” for Manny?

36. crapulent aka I said good day sir says:

I hate that whole towel thing. They never did that in Brooklyn. Asses. I’m so glad we don’t do that crap in the Bronx.

37. Mike Axisa says:

It’s about time Manny did that to someone other than the Yankees.

38. Riddering says:

Manny performs on cue.

39. That’s on you, Chase.

40. Ivan says:

Surprise he threw him a breaking ball there considering Manny has had trouble catching to the fastball.

41. Mike Pop says:

:looks up, thanks Mo that Manny isn’t on Boston anymore:

42. Dela G says:

wow that FOX gun is messed up

it just said cole hamels threw 99!!!

HAHA

43. Since when are the Bearcats ranked 8th? Maybe the Big East isn’t so craptastic anymore.

And I’m getting very tired of this Blackberry ad.

44. Dela G says:

good to know that i was the cause of manny breaking out of the slump

45. The good thing here is, if Hamels ends up blowing this lead, it plays right into the Phillies strengths.

/Kruk’d

46. Dela G says:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand hamels is walking himself right into trouble

47. Mike Pop says:

Dodgers win this game.

48. Ivan says:

I’ll be honest, outside of Lidge, I don’t trust that Phillies BP, and that’s not saying much.

49. Cole…wtf? I’m not happy with you right now. I expected this from JA Haap…not you.

50. Moshe Mandel says:

So, Jon Heyman says

“There is growing sentiment around baseball that Joba Chamberlain will be a reliever next year, especially after he looked great in that role in the Division Series.”

He pitched less than 2 innings. Unbelievable. The B-Jobbers will seize on anything.

51. I know you’re playing the LHP/LHH match up here, Charlie, but shouldn’t you be going to a strike out guy here?

52. Dela G says:

lol at the spelling error

“1988 Wolrd Series Game 1″

53. Dela G says:

that was a big walk there by thome

54. This will not end well for Haap.

55. Dela G says:

rafael furcal FTL

56. aj says:

Opinions on Joe Torre? Or am I too late for that.

57. aj says:

Miguel Cairo pinch hitting, I never thought i’d hear that.

58. GG says:

Is there still no word on what the deal for tomorrow is? I’m not in New York but from looking at everything its seems a certainty there won’t be baseball in the Bronx

59. Dela G says:

I love that Jay-Z Hollywood song. Good to hear it on the tv

60. Is J-Rod still with the organization? Anyone else think he could be a decent bench option for ’10?

61. Mike Axisa says:

Chan Ho Park with the GritBeard.

62. Dela G says:

haha chan ho park

good to see him stealing money from baseball again

63. Salty Buggah says:

Heh Chan Ho Park. My Calc always asked me if he “still” plays for the Yankees anytime I brought the Yanks up or wore my Yanks gear. I’d tell him no and that he never played for the Yanks but next week, he’ll end up asking the same question again.

64. Dela G says:

chan ho park can still throw 96!!!???!!!

Holy shit

65. Dela G says:

wow this strike zone is the tighest strike zone ever

i feel so sorry for the pitchers

66. Dela G says:

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraul ibanez says fuck yo couch sherril

67. AndrewYF says:

Was Joe sleeping in the dugout when Sherrill walked the first two batters of the game? How do you leave that reliever in there in a 1-run game?

68. bonestock94 says:

Torre just blew that game

69. Dela G says:

dodgers making a comeback now…

70. PaulF says:

I hope the Yankees get by the Angels, because these pitching staffs both look hittable.

71. Dela G says:

man broxton is like the NL’s joel zumaya with better control

that’s a scary thing

6’4 290! wow

72. Mike Axisa says:

I’d love for Broxton to be a Yankee.

73. Ivan says:

When I think of Brad Lidge, I think of this: http://i15.photobucket.com/alb....._Owned.jpg

74. Ivan says:

Yo Lidge Slider has types of movement.

75. [...] original here: NLCS Game One: Phillies @ Dodgers | River Avenue Blues Categories: Uncategorized Tags: after-the-phillies, brutal, championship, division, [...]