Jan

Yanks reach one-year deal with Randy Winn

Randy Winn doubles off Mike Pelfrey at Citi Field in August. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Proving once and far all that the team was serious about both having a budget and not overpaying for Johnny Damon, the Yankees today reached a one-year deal with Randy Winn, pending a physical. Joe Sherlman broke the news this afternoon via Twitter, and as Winn’s signing marks the definitive end of Damon’s tenure in the Bronx, Yankee fans were, unsurprisingly, up in the arms about the deal.

According to Sherman, Winn will probably get $2 million in 2010, and the Yanks opted for him over Reed Johnson both because of the price tag and because they view Winn as “a better overall player.” Even with this signing, it’s no sure thing that Winn will be the starting left fielder; I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brett Gardner remain a starting outfielder with Winn as the Yanks’ defensive-minded fourth outfielder or see a platoon situation develop in the outfield.

Winn, 35, is seven months younger than Damon but hasn’t been nearly as productive a hitter as Johnny over the last few years. In 2009, Winn suffered through a .262/.318/.353 with just two home runs in 597 plate appearances. Based on his four-year line, he’s no better than Melky Cabrera but will cost $1 million less in 2010.Against lefties, he hit .158/.184/.200 in 125 PAs and was, according to Baseball Prospectus, the worst showing by a right-hander against left-handed pitching since 1954. It’s worth noting that Winn hit lefties to the tune of .289/.343/.470 in 2008, but with the most recent data on hand, it’s hard to see how Winn fills an offensive need. Joel Sherman reports that the Yanks could still ink a right-hander to a minor league deal.

On the other side of the ball, though, Winn is still a plus defender. He put up a overall OF UZR of 16.9 last year with a 7.9 mark in 54 games in left. His arm too is above average, and as he struggled offensively last year, he put up a 1.7 WAR. If he can simply duplicate those results, he will outperform the $2 million the Yanks are paying him.

And so Johnny Damon’s reign in New York comes to an end at the expense of someone no better than a fourth outfielder. The Yankees were drawn to Winn because he comes cheap and — with Carl Crawford nearing free agency — he comes for just one year. It was clear, based on recently discussions and rumors, that Damon wouldn’t re-up for a single season or at a price that fits the Yanks’ budget. Considering that the Yanks will probably still sport the same starting outfield tomorrow as they did yesterday, the team could have found a better fourth outfielder. Whether or not that player would have signed for so little is an entirely different story.

I couldn’t fit this into the post, but a good old tip o’ the cap to Jay Jaffe for highlighting the BP article about Winn’s 2009 platoon splits.

Categories : Transactions

1. bobtaco says:

I wonder what happened with Reed Johnson…

2. blake says:

nooooooooooo

whyyyyyy

3. Drew says:

I he can hit to his pre-2009 #’s, it will work out great.

4. Pasqua says:

Olney is on Kay’s show right now talking about it.

5. Hughesus Christo says:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

6. Peter says:

I have faith K-long will get him back to this

2007 line vs LHP: .351/.399/.525

7. via @nyp_joelsherman Haven’t confirmed it yet, but I believe Winn got just about the $2M #Yankees were allocating for 4th OF job

8. Brian says:

Oh No…what the hell is this???

• Brian says:

You know what? I just looked at his stats, and realized that he’ll be platooning with Gardy. I think I’m just upset that this slams the door on Damon. I was convinced that he was coming back. Savvy veteran pickup. If the Sox signed him, Gammons would jizz in his pants.

9. Ansky says:

Meh, I would’ve rather had Reed Johnson or Tatis. I too wonder what happened.

10. Peter says:

Yankees had 2 million.

reed johnson made 3 last year…probably wanted a raise. Yankees said no. Hello Randy winn.

11. Mike Pop says:

Really? Well, whatever.

12. A.D. says:

Eh, though his career line is much better than last year, so if that was just a down year, could be a decent signing.

13. Pasqua says:

I’m guessing that Brett Gardner is a happy man today.

14. ADam says:

Randy Winn will be DFA’d before July 1… Not understanding this one?

15. I’m a little wary of anyone who swung the bat for the SF Giants in 2008 or 2009 and is not named “Pablo Sandoval”.

16. pat says:

Cue the people who think they’re smarter than Cashman.

17. Big Juan says:

I mean, there’s not a lot of downside to this. He plays above-average defense at all three OF positions and a switch-hitter. They don’t need a ton of offense from him, just as they didn’t need a ton from Gardner.

I like it.

18. Alex S says:

what happened to the wpa article?

19. bonestock94 says:

Ah shit, I hate this. I became acquainted with his suck when I was desperately seeking an OF for my fantasy team last year and picked him up off of waivers. I’d rather see Gardner start every game, I hope he’s just a bench guy.

20. WIlliam says:

NOOOOOOOOOO, come on Cashmoney, I thought you were in secret ninja mode to get damon.

• Letthegamesbegin says:

When Cashman said that people should “wake up and smell the coffee” what he was really saying was “Damon is toast”

21. Jramey says:

the man hit 2 hrs in 2009

22. Hughesus Christo says:

I hope he’s in for the 4th OF job, or at least is not being handed LF.

On the bright side, no more Damon crap.

23. Jramey says:

just why? this makes reed johnson look very nice

24. daneptizl says:

So is Gardner still the LFer or not?

25. John says:

i think its a good move. He’s a good fielder, he should hit better and get on base with the yankees. He had good years before 2009. Cheap option and can compete with gardner. He’s no Johnny Damon, but Damon was still asking for $7 mil according to Olney.

26. I like the move.

Damon was a no-go. It can’t be any clearer now. Johnson still had injury questions. Winn is a proven vet who can play defense and has a history of being able to hit LHPs.

27. Paul M. says:

Not a terrible move, assuming he’s cheap. Wow, Damon really screwed himself.

28. Peter says:

Also Winn is less injury prone then Johnson…which could have factored into the yankees thinking.

29. Burnettscreamfilling says:

i love Cash..but this move stinks..they guy is on the decline..and has 0 power. for that just get a young player who can play D.
    the guy is going to be 36..come on Cash..his defense is probably going to start sucking next year too…

30. Winn has a decent amt. of CF experience. If they decide to put Gardner in CF and Grandy in LF, I wonder if they would do the same w/ Winn.

I say no for either.

The Yankees CF in 2011 is going to be Granderson.
      Just keep him there this year, and plug the LF hole next offseason..much easier to fill.

• We’re going into 2010, FYI. And there’s considerable buzz today that Granderson goes to LF and Gardner to CF.

• radnom says:

I know what year it is, I’m not sure if you were legitimately correcting me, or if you were being sarcastic.

If you were being serious, what I meant is that it doesn’t matter who players where in 2010, but Granderson is the long term solution in center field. There is no reason to move him to LF for 2010, then move him back to center in 2011.

• OK. That’s one way to look at it. I’m just letting you know that it at least seems to be on the table that Grandy will play left in 2010.

• radnom says:

Are you referring to anything other than Giradi’s comments recently, saying that anything is possible?

I am aware of those, but personally I think it would be a mistake.

• duuude, im totally not looking through my twitter feed from the last 24 hours. that said, what don’t you like about it? lets assume, for the sake of our argument, that both gardner and granderson are getting regular ABs.

Huh?

I didn’t ask you to look up anything. I asked if you were talking about a recent statement by Giradi or something different. If it is, all Giradi said was that nothing was locked in and they would figure it out at spring training.

What I don’t like about it is that it isn’t ok to assume Gardner is getting all of the 3rd OF ABs. Even if you do, I don’t think the difference in formations (especially considering the size of LF in YS) is big enough to justify taking Granderson out of CF for one year. It doesn’t make sense for now, or in the future.

• radnom says:

Especially since Gardner is not just handed the starting job to anything.

Say he struggles and you starting seeing Randy Winn more. Do you now put Winn in LF and Granderson in CF? Or Hoffman? I mean they can all play center, but can they all do it better than Grandy? Assuming there is going to be turnover during the season between those three players (and there will be) unless all three are clearly better in center than Granderson I don’t think it makes sense, not even thinking long term, to move Granderson to LF.

31. ADam says:

Makes 0 (Zero) Sense to grab this guy over Johnny Gomes… If the guy is only going to be a 4th/5th outfielder why go after an old guy who cant provide any pop or power of the bench???

• Mike Pop says:

Cause defense out there is more important, especially with this powerhouse of a lineup?

• andrew says:

We’ve already got defense out there though… who’s our pinch hitter for Gardner? Winn? They are the same player.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

This team doesn’t need pop. It’s needs defense and speed off the bench. What player in the starting lineup will need to be pinch-hit for? Gardner is it. One guy in the entire lineup lacking power. Now there are plenty of guys lacking speed, and Swisher’s defense is solid, but could be improved upon. Winn provides both of those things.

I’m not thrilled with Winn, but for $2M, if he sucks, you DFA him. There aren’t any options I liked any better, outside of a trade for a crazy guy (Dukes, D. Young, etc), which was admittedly a crazy idea.

• rbizzler says:

Is there a difference between ‘pop’ and ‘power.’

Just asking, because I thought that they were the same thing. And, Winn’s 33 doubles and 5 triples last year say ‘hey there big sexy.’

32. Ansky says:

hmm…cue the “Damon fires Boras” storylines. or “Damon calls Cashman after firing Boras and personally negotiates a 1 yr/1 million dollar contract to compete for LF job!”

33. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Finally the Damon crap comes to an end!!!

34. Frank1979 says:

This isn’t that bad of a move. Winn has actually had an OPS+ above 100 in 6 of his last 8 seasons. Maybe he just had an off year last season.

35. Winn, BABIP and wRC+:
    2002 – .345, 124
    2003 – .345, 114
    2004 – .321, 110
    2005 – .334, 129
    2006 – .279, 86
    2007 – .332, 112
    2008 – .346, 115
    2009 – .314, 82

Hmmm… two subpar BABIP seasons, two subpar wRC+ seasons. Pattern much?

Swisherian bounceback potential? I think so.

• A.D. says:

this i like.

• radnom says:

Swisherian bounceback potential? I think so.

I think we’d also need to look into why his babip was so last season, which could be the difference between a bounceback candidate and a player in decline. I’m sure one of the RAB guys will take care of that legwork in the next few days.

I’m obviously expecting better than last season, especially against LHP, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t much better. Also, keep in mind Swisher was entering his prime, as Winn is leaving his.

• DP says:

Couldn’t agree more. It’s really not THAT important who the 4th OF is, but age has to be considered here. I don’t think he’ll be as bad as last year, but all the same he will be 36.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

you know who else is leaving his prime?

Johnny Damon

• Interesting.

Check this too.
      2008: LD: 19.1%, GB: 55.1%, FB: 29.8%, HR/FB: 6.5%
      2009: LD: 22.3%, GB: 44.5%, FB: 32.1%, HR/FB: 1.4%

LD percentage goes up, GB down, FB up, and the HR/FB plummets.

• jsbrendog officially approves signing Fernando Tatis says:

my only question though is he didnt hit lefties last yr…wasnt the point to get a 4th/5th of who could?

• Swisherian bounceback potential? I think so.

Easy now. His upside isn’t as big as Swisher’s.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

And as Radnom pointed out, Swish was entering his prime while Winn has left his.

• radnom says:

Also check his LD/FB/GB percentages.

Line drives stayed about the same with much high FB percentage and lower power? Eek.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Eh, it could just be weird. I wouldn’t read too much into it, though it is fishy smelling.

Well yes and no.
              It easily explains why the BABIP is so low (groundballs become hits at a higher percentage than flyballs).

If the percentages were the same, or if GB percentage had gone down and he was hitting both more flyballs AND linedrives that would point to some bounceback potential.

All this seems to do is corroborate the fact that his swing got out of wack last season and he starting lifting everything. Hopefully he can ignore the short right field porch and go back to his old approach next season.

• ledavidisrael says:

ohhh shyteee

36. Slugger27 says:

wait i dont get it… whats everyone so upset about?

• A.D. says:

the thought the Yanks would re-sign Damon…and now they won’t

• Slugger27 says:

i guess i was under the impression that most had moved on from damon, seeing as how cashman did about 6 weeks ago

• radnom says:

Although everyone should have more or less given up on a Damon reunion when in the last few days Cashman and Girardi both came out publicly saying the door was all but shut.

• Considering this is straight up false (considering reports that Cashman approached Boras as recently as last week, only to be shot down) I can’t imagine why you would have that impression.

But again, radnom, it’s not that simple.

Yes, we spoke to Boras/Damon again recently. No, we still weren’t remotely ready to extend them any kind of offer that they’d accept.

For all intents and purposes, Slugger is right in saying that Cashman had moved on from Damon. We were technically “interested” but not interested enough to ever move off our hardline stance that he accept our drastic salary cut, a cut that he rebuffed at every single turn.

• radnom says:

I’m not going to get into this with you again.

Making an request for a number to present to ownership is interest. Just because Cashman has certain perameters he was working under doesn’t mean he didn’t want Damon back. Just because he wasn’t willing to give him a deal above market value doesn’t mean he had cut off all ties and had no interest. That is false.

The simple fact was that one week ago, Cashman was actively trying to fit Damon into the Yankees system, and was even willing to stretch his parameters a bit to do so. Didn’t work out, but to say that he was “moved on” before last week is just misleading. But again, you can’t see this and I’m not getting into this again. Lets talk about 2010 Yankees.

• Slugger27 says:

true, but it does mean that damon coming back was never a realistic scenario

and was even willing to stretch his parameters a bit to do so

i dont believe thats fact at all

• Slugger27 says:

i love how “speaking to boras” equals “interested in signing damon”

boras has probably called them several times over the past 6 weeks, and im willing to bet every discussion has involved a disinterested cashman rolling his eyes

i felt it was obvious, apparently im the minority

• radnom says:

So you don’t believe this report then?

there was renewed dialogue between Damon, Boras and the Yankees in which the Yankees made one last attempt to have a good Yankee remain a Yankee.

“Tell us your bottom line for what you’re willing to play for,” they said, “and if it’s in the realm of where our budget needs to be we can go to ownership (Hal Steinbrenner) and see if something can be worked out.”

• They got the number. It was the same high number from before. Hence, the conversation went nowhere, just as it’s been going nowhere all winter.

We were always interested in bringing back Johnny Damon. We were just never ever ever ever interested in bringing him in enough to get beyond initial conversations, because our price points were always oceans apart.

• Slugger27 says:

thank u tsjc, your wordsmithness allows u to state my stance better than i can

with that though, we can move on from the argument, it appears neither of the 3 of us is changing our mind

• radnom says:

Agreed especially since TSJC insists on refuting points I’m making.

• I insist on refuting the points you make because the points you make demand rebuttal, because they’re incomplete and flawed. They lack historical accuracy. They’re overly blunt and not properly nuanced.

• A.D. says:

Nah, if you read through the posts (at least on this blog) many were hoping he’d come crawling back.

37. bebop says:

I hope last year’s splits were an aberration or this move could be a disaster. He can field, but so can Gardner. Why is he a better choice then Reed Johnson who hits lefties?

• Brian says:

I wouldn’t call this a potential disaster. Regardless of what he contributes offensively, at the very least, he provides some OF depth, speed and defense off the bench, and competition for Gardner to stay focused. Our lineup, unlike the 2009 SF Giants’ lineup can hide a .268 slap hitter.

• Pasqua says:

No way it’s a disaster. He can play the field (as you say) and it’s not like they’re expecting big things offensively. If he stays healthy, they’ll get what they want from him.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

Reed Johnson = walking DL trip

• That. Reed Johnson makes Randy Winn look like Cal Ripken Jr.

• rbizzler says:

Plus, I have watched Reed play many a single into a triple with ill-advised dive attempts in LF. While I could see this sort of hustle making him a fan favorite (just think if he also had a dirty hat) it also increases his chance of injury.

Personally, I am fine with Winn as a low-cost, low-risk signing that provides some OF depth.

Let’s not forget that he played a ton of games in pitcher’s parks over the last few years, and that may have depressed his raw numbers/rate stats a bit.

38. radnom says:

Not totally surprising…the Yankees had been considering him lately but for some reason it didn’t get much discussion around these parts.

I have to wonder though, if they really are looking for a RH bat why they would choose Winn. Either the Yankees scouts anticipate him bouncing back or they prefer the insurance of a guy like Winn over a Reed Johnson/Baldelli type. Still, he doesn’t work in a platoon situation with BG.

Alright, time for spring training.

39. Kiersten says:

Johnny Damon just got a call from the Newark Bears.

40. Charlie says:

oh fuck no. I’m sorry for all the overoptimistic optimists, but this deal is shit. He’s 36, can’t hit, and there are much better options out there to be had. what the fuck was cashman thinking on this one?

41. Rick in Boston says:

I like this. Him home/road splits from last year show that AT&T/Pac Bell/whatever seriously depressed his value.

He OPS’ed .585 at home in 287 PA’s and .749 on the road in 310 PA’s. Obviously not great, but still, if he can play defense, he’ll definitely hit enough to prop up the #9 spot.

42. Upon first reaction, I’m none too happy with this. HOWEVER, I’m sure once I settle, I’ll be able to see the good in it. Someone talk me into believing this move.

43. OUTFIELD OPTIONS says:

Nice cheap scoop. Let Winn, Gardy, Hoffman, and Golson compete in camp….

• Lanny says:

4 below avg players competing for the starting job. makes sense.

• pete says:

or rather, 4 players of whom the total sum, if played properly (as in, to advantageous matchups and wherein playing time is generated by current performance and not based arbitrarily on a decision made after a month of ST) is well above average production, especially when defense is considered, seeing as all four are either reputed to be, or known to be tremendous defensive assets. I’m sick of the “let them compete in camp” idea. Why not let them compete all year? All are incomplete offensive players who are liable to become black holes from time to time. There’s absolutely no need to call one of them the “starter” at any point during the season, other than for that particular night’s game. And if that decision is always made after proper consideration, this tandem should produce at close to average levels at the plate, coupled with a potentially significant boost from basestealing and baserunning. As I said earlier, all of them should be excellent defenders, so a WAR over 3 is far from out of the question, and a WAR under 1 seems incredibly unlikely

44. theyankeewarrior says:

The ironic thing here is that most Yankee fans are really upset about this because they wanted Damon back. But what they really want is another good player for LF.

What this move allows them to do is see what they have in Gardner/Winn/Hoffman and then have the flexibility to go out and get a solid LF via trade/ salary dump mid-season.

So in the end, not getting Damon will allow Cashman to get a new and exciting player for us to love for half a season if we’re getting AAA production out of LF in July.

Most of you are just mad bc we have NOTHING to look foreward to or wonder about until Posada pisses on his hands for the first time at the end of Feb.

45. Burnettscreamfilling says:

people! Bret Gardner can play defense, its the one thing hes good at!! (aside from speed) we don’t need another defense player who can’t hit a lick!

• JobaWockeeZ says:

The Yankees are hoping Winn can go back to his .900 OPS against lefties. That’s where his value lies. That and his defense.

• MattG says:

It’s true! This team needs another hitter!

Oh, wait–that’s not right, either.

• pete says:

Conversely, one could argue that we don’t need another offense player who can’t field a lick, considering we already have DJ, NJ, MT, AR, JP, RC, CG, and the man with the big stick. Throw in that if we really need offense (unlikely) mideason, we can either make a trade or call up the Son, and this was a pretty good move, all things considered.

• Chops says:

“another defense player who can’t hit a lick”?

Care to name the other defense players on the team who cant hit a lick?

• pete says:

This is clearly a preemptive attack on the May 16 lineup when Swish takes a day off and the yanks outfield has Gardner and Winn both in it. Burnettscreamfilling doesn’t like the idea of having another guy who doesn’t hit well in the lineup, since gardner is already going to be in the lineup that day.

46. Sean says:

I thought the yanks would be fine with Gardener, but I like this move

Cheap/Affordable
    Veteran experience (not that we dont have enough)
    Speed/defense
    Maybe he can teach Gardy a few things (similar type of player)

Powerless, but its not like they lack in that department. Hes the #9 hitter, not 3-5

Cashmoney knows his shit

47. ROBTEN says:

Looking quickly at Fangraphs:

He seemed to be swinging at more pitches, both inside and outside the zone last year. He also seemed to be lifting the ball more–LD% was up, FB % was up, GB% was way down–but given his low power numbers, those fly balls did not turn into XBHs, but outs.

However, given the decline in his BABIP, it is not out of the question that he could rebound next season. It could be a mechanical issue with his swing; the drop in ISO points to the fact that he was lifting and not driving the ball. Perhaps he’s developed an upper-cut in his swing or his timing is off.

Given that no one is asking him to be anything spectacular, it’s mostly a lateral move. In other words, if it works out, great. If it doesn’t, not a big loss.

• Mike Pop says:

Great post.

• It could be a mechanical issue with his swing; the drop in ISO points to the fact that he was lifting and not driving the ball. Perhaps he’s developed an upper-cut in his swing or his timing is off.

Randy Winn, meet Kevin Long. Kevin Long, Randy Winn.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

I wish you posted more often, ROBTEN.

• Short Porch says:

Well having hit the age wall a while back, and had shoulder/wrist issues, I can tell you that something nagging can mess up your swing and take your power way. You can compensate — cheat on your swing, but end up as Robten notes from Fangraphs committing too early and flailing at pitches.

Winn didn’t hit a homer after April (both were batting LH btw). Most of his decline was from the left side, indicating some ailment — left shoulder? right wrist? — was plaguing him.

LD% FB% up GB% down with no power sounds to me like he was just slapping at the ball instead of driving through (and rolling the wrists).

He just was not whipping through the zone as in past years, especially from the left side and especially post all star break, not pulling the ball. Let’s hope he healed in the off season, and that the Yanks can help keep whatever is barking at bay (reaching for the advil myself…).

Getting out of AT+T park will be good for him.

48. JobaWockeeZ says:

As long as Garnder isn’t the only guy in left this year I’m fine.

49. Frank says:

I like the move. In fact, I’d say its a Win/Winn for the Yanks.

50. Slugger27 says:

thoroughly confused at this thread… hes a small upgrade to melky on both offense and defense

melky was our starting CF last year and there wasnt a lot of whining about it… now a guy who is better on both offense AND defense comes in to be a PLATOON/BENCH guy and its met with backlash

only yankee fans….

• Hughesus Christo says:

Melky Cabrera is an interesting fellow. I never got why the fans give him so much slack. Perhaps it is because he came up at 21 with zero name recognition and zero expectations. If Melky Cabrera was able to make contact once in a while and not knock routine fly balls into the stands as a CF, he was a plus. Meanwhile he was a below average player getting a huge number of ABs and consistently going into massive slumps.

Randy Winn/Melky Cabrera/Brett Gardner are roughly equal at this point when all is taken into account.

• Lanny says:

Keep in mind that Melky was the 4th OF at the start of the yr.

Gardner the man people want in the OF was replaced after 2 weeks.

• pete says:

For the last time, SBGL, NO. This is simply NOT TRUE. There was never a “starter”, and nobody was “replaced”. Girardi went with Gardner more often out of the gate because he was coming off a hotter spring, and Girardi felt like he was going to get more production out of him. He slowed down quickly, and melky heated up quickly, to where it got to the point where, for a while, Melky was, for all intents and purposes, the “everyday” CFer. That is only if you’re thinking of it in terms of playing time from late April through early June, at which point Gardner was starting to heat up again, and he and Melky were pretty much getting even playing time. Then in early July gardner started to slow down a bit, and then he hurt his thumb. By the time he got back, he was brought pretty much straight back to the MLB club because he has a lot of value as a pinch runner and LIDR, and the need for his bat to be all there was minimal.

What I’m getting at here, is that the Melky/Gardner “debate” was never a matter of permanence last year, just as the Winn/Gardner/Hoffmann/Golson “debate” will not be a matter of permanence this year. Nobody is going to “win the job” outright. The playing time will be distributed based on context, not pretext. All year. Given this situation, it makes that much more sense to add more players to the group, because it increases your chance, if you’re playing them properly, of getting some decent production out of that spot most of the time.

And yes, I realize that Girardi did tell the media last year that Girardi was “the starter” in the beginning, and that Melky had taken over that role later on. He also told them that Brian Bruney was the “8th inning guy”. In other words, when reporters ask questions to which the correct answers are A) far more complex than either the reporters or their respective audiences have any interest in fully considering, and B) not at all what the reporters/audiences want to hear, Joe boversimplifies. In practice, he does not do this. His managerial style encompasses a great deal of complexity. He doesn’t set a lineup, rotation, and bullpen, say “go”, and then sit back and watch. But he has shown on multiple occasions that he has no problem feeding nagging reporters bullcrap answers that, while generally not categorically false, are often sweeping boversimplifications that fit the MSM meme better than his much more thoughtful practices do.

51. Steve H says:

Here’s to hoping 2009 was just an aberration. If this is the pre-2009 Winn I’m thrilled. If not, well, we can replace him by the deadline. With this signing, I still hope they bring in Baldelli on a ST invite.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I think being in between Jeter and whoever bats 8th will help him turn around. The Giants offense is full of a bunch of goons who have no power nor the ability to get on base, so that must have been a factor last year. If he can replicate 07/08 numbers in this lineup, it will be a successful signing.

• The Giants offense is full of a bunch of goons who have no power nor the ability to get on base, so that must have been a factor last year.

(doorbell rings)
        Homer: Who is it?
        Voice on other side of door: Goons.
        Homer: Who?
        Voice on other side of door: Hired goons.
        Homer: Huh?
        (opens door, is immediately roughed up by two hired goons)

• Ivan says:

I wouldnt mind having Badeli. He’ll make a good platoon with Gardner.

• Lanny says:

Keep praying.

52. jsbrendog says:

sigh. well, it is time to remove the fernando tatis moniker then. and methinks time for a new handle as well.

randy winn is msot certainly the last person i expected to ever wear pinstripes. but again, who the hell cares. its the 4th/5th of. whatever.
    what gets me is that the yanks wanted someone who could hit lefties, which winn didnt do last yr. but again, i refuse to be upset/mostly care at all about a signing like this based on the rest of the team.

53. Ivan says:

Meh..not great but certainly not awful.

54. pete says:

Sounds good. Randy winn is a reasonable #9 hitter on a good offensive AL team in his own right. Throw in the fact that he won’t be playing if/when Gardner/Hoffmann/Golson/whoever is hot, and there’s a pretty decent chance that things conspire, and we manage to avoid being hurt by his slumps, while simultaneously taking advantage of his hotstreaks. I think it’s very similar to the gardbrera situation from last year. Girardi + Long should be able to milk some solid production out of these guys to complement what looks to be a superb defensive outfield for the yanks in 2010. I’m not like “WHOOPIEE”, but I certainly think it is a perfectly good move.

55. Kiersten says:

Sooooo basically we’re replacing Melky with Winn, who had a slightly worse year offensively than Melky last year, but is better defensively, and Melky wasn’t exactly Barry Bonds.

Vazquez + Winn > Melky

56. Klemy says:

In our lineup, he probably has a good chance at bouncing back. he’s going to see getter pitches to hit in all likelihood. If he relaxes and doesn’t try to do too much, he has a shot at bouncing back this season.

It’s not the end of the world. He’s cheap and only on a one year deal. We’re still able to go out and get a LF at the deadline or next season when the FA pool looks a little better.

I’m not upset about this at all. They had a plan and they stuck with it. I have no problem watching it play out.

57. Paul M. says:

Fangraphs says he had a 40.6 UZR/150 in left field in 2009. Can this be?

58. pollo says:

I hate this move. Yuck

59. Stryker says:

so randy winn, no stick, good defense, can’t hit lefties, comes in to platoon with gardner, who has no stick, good defense, can’t hit lefties.

• Rose says:

Melky Cabrera v. LHP as RH – .255/.325/.355 (.680)

Jerry Hairston Jr. v. LHP as RH – .264/.323/.386 (.708)

Randy Winn v. LHP as RH – .280/.332/.426 (.758)

It’s not as bad as you think…

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

Is that last year or career?

• Slugger27 says:

It’s not as bad as you think…

its much better than most think… cervelli is our backup catcher and nobody is up in arms about that, but we pick up a league average hitter w/ good defense as our 4th OFer and cashman is a moron

::sigh::

• Omar says:

I would have rather Cashman spent two million dollars to pay someone to kick me in the balls.

60. JeffG says:

I think I remember reading: “we could put a twig in LF and still win” …Winn? …I guess we are going to test that theory.

61. JeffG says:

Kind of sucks as I was still holding hope for Damon… but if Boras won’t come to his senses then we have to move on I guess. It’s going to be a bitter moment when we see Johnny sign for the 4-5 mil he probably could have gotten from us had he made any effort to negotiate. If he gets 7,8,9 mil then I say good for he and Boras they were right – but I highly doubt that is going to happen.

62. Rose says:

Who’s more likely to dip lower then their own respective 09 numbers? Randy Winn or Johnny Damon?

Note: This isn’t a “who plays better in 2010″? question. It’s who drops more in production compared to their production in 2009?

• pete says:

if damon moves out of yankee stadium, then it’s him, hands down, 100%. JD probably won’t do much better than .275/.365/.435 with 14 HRs outside of yankee stadium.

I’m calling it right now. The 2010 yankee LF camp will out-WAR damon by 1.5 wins.

63. Steve H says:

Randy Winn on the road last year, outside of his run supressing home park:

.295/.345/.404. Combine that with great OF defense, sounds like a fine #9 hitter to me.

64. Master of all Trades says:

Winn is not taking Damon’s spot, C Grand did that already.
    Winn is taking Melky’s spot on the roster and will be a 4th outfielder. I really do not see what not to like about that.
    I will miss Damon but I won’t miss him, reminding me, how my sister throws everytime I see him out in left field.

65. Burnettscreamfilling says:

reason why i hate this move is because if we are going to spend money even if it is 2 mil then spend it on an upgrade of Brett not on somebody who is at the same level. he brings nothing to the table that Brett doesn’t. if you can’t find an upgrade then save the money for mid-season trades like everybody is talkin bout.

• pat says:

Who is available that is an upgrade over Gardner that will only cost 2 million dollars?

• Steve H says:

Brett Gardner has never come close to playing a full season in the majors. Brett Gardner will never approach Randy Winn’s career as a baseball player. He may or may not be an upgrade, but you cannot say he brings nothing to the table that Brett doesn’t. He’s a career .286/.344/.418 hitter. Brett will not bring that to the table, especially if given 500+ AB’s.

• Burnettscreamfilling says:

His career matters not, the guy is about to be 36 and on the decline..i’m not asking Brett to play all season either he sucks too. but Winn is not the anwser at all.

if Career mattered we would just get Jermaine Dye..he had a good career….

• pete says:

or at the very least, there is considerably less risk when you’re asking some combination of Brett Gardner and Randy Winn, with a touch of Jamie Hoffmann and possibly Greg Golson, to be your #9 hitter, than there is in asking just Gardner, Hoffmann, and Golson, none of whom have any real MLB experience. This way, at the very least, you’re not depending on Gardner’s SSS from last year, in the field or at the plate. If he reproduces those numbers, then you’ve got winn as your 4th OF, because that would make Gardner worthy of a full time role. But until you know that he is, why not try to stabilize the position a little?

66. T-Dubs says:

hang on hang on hang on…..

Ok, talked myself into it.

And if Girardi struggles we can trade him for Lou Pinella.

67. MattG says:

“The Yankees were drawn to Winn because he comes cheap and — with Carl Crawford nearing free agency — he comes for just one year.”

Is it too early to start the “Vote No on Crawford” campaign? This is a guy with a career OPS+ of 103, and despite that, someone will be paying him $15M when he’s 35 years old. Let that someone be the Angels.

• pete says:

all not in favor say “I”

I.

Totally agree on crawford. I’d love to have had him in his age 25-30 seasons. I have no interest whatsoever in his taking up a big chunk of the payroll after that.

• Chris says:

I’m with you. I expect Crawford to be significantly overpaid relative to his actual production.

• Chops says:

Do people completely miss the fact that Crawford stole SIXTY (60) bases last year? Between Crawford and Granderson in the OF, thats a hell of a defense, and a TON of speed on the basepaths. Potentially 80 stolen bases between the two of them.

• Lanny says:

crawford defines overrated. Guys 30+ who rely on speed do not age well.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

100% right. I feel dirty typing that.

• Steve H says:

You are dirty.

• But it’s not right. Lanny/Bo says it constantly, but it’s just not true.

• pete says:

it’s a boversimplification for sure, but it’s not entirely untrue either. A proper way of saying it would be “players who rely on speed and defense are generally tremendous athletes who are able to accelerate to the big leagues quickly enough to hit free agency in their primes. Typically, although the market seems to be adjusting somewhat, tremendously athletic free agents with gaudy SB totals and good enough speed to amass a career’s worth of good AVGs, will earn very lucrative deals in free agency. Somebody like carl crawford, for example, who generally hits near or over .300, and usually hits over 10 HRs a year, and steals 50-60 bases a year, is a prime example of this type of player, whose tools exceed his production levels offensively, because he typically has a pretty low SLG and OBP for a corner outfielder. However, right now, in his prime, he is one of the very best defenders in the league, and his total offensive contribution is, while not quite on the level that it may appear to be, certainly well above average, even at the LF position. What’s liable to happen, however, is that his defense regresses from great to merely above average/good, and his offense regresses from above average/good to average/above average. This, considering the potential contract, is what most who do not advocate a crawford signing are worried about. If CC is making $18 million a year as a 35 year old 3 WAR player, I’d prefer it to be with somebody other than the yankees.

68. LarryM, FL. says:

Cashman has faith in Gardner’s ability to improve with steady play as he has shown at all levels of professional ball. I believe the key is to move Gardner to CF and Granderson to left. The team has improved defensively and still warrants the top run producing team in the majors. If and I say this with fingers crossed, “we stay healthy.”

69. Warren says:

Does give the view that the Yankess are looking towards 2011 and the Off season signings of 2010 Free Agents.

Yankees have won a championship so they can coast in 2010.

Save the bankroll this year for the greatly better offerings in the future.

70. mustang says:

“Yankee fans were, unsurprisingly, up in the arms about the deal.”

WHY ?????????

Good defense, speed, SWITCH HITTER, and plays all 3-outfield position.

And the Yankees stay within their silly ass budget.

Sounds like win win to me.

71. MattG says:

This may surprise a few people:

Randy Winn, career: .344/.418/.762 99 OPS+ 3.0 UZR/150
    Carl Crawford, career: .335/.437/.772 103 OPS+ 14.4 UZR/150

72. ok, because i reeeeeeeeeeally want to kno whis reaction:

mryankee
    mryankee
    mryankee

::waits::

• Steve H says:

IETC.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

We can trade ManBan, Kevin Russo to The Free Agents for Damon and CMW. Look at their management, the Free Agents have way too many guys on their 40 man roster. They’ll have to get rid of some of them. Besides, only the Yankees could take the financial hit of adding $10 million.

The Free Agents might not be as good as the Mets next year. They’ll definitely make that trade. We could even make the throw in a player to be named later, like Matt Cain.

/hypotheticalmryankeetotheextreme’d

• kimonizer says:

He’ll recognize that Winn is the final piece we needed to complete the Gardner/Winn for Pujols trade.

73. Paul M. says:

You know a guy is gritty and gutty when the first two videos on MLB.com for him are a sac fly and an RBI grounder.

74. BigBlueAL says:

Apparently the Rays are now in on Damon. That would suck, although where Damon plays on that team I dont know, DH I guess.

• radnom says:

Doesn’t seem to make sense, especially with Jennings on the way. Seeing as how they are likely to lose Crawford next year, you would think they would want him to get his feet wet.

Unless they think they can move Pat the Bat or are willing to bite the bullet on him.

75. I’m okay with this now. Why shouldn’t I be? Cheap, low-risk option who could be easily jettisoned if he fials.

76. Mo says:

GARBAGE! Cashman is terrible….

Are we really talking about salary and budget? Seriously? I’m not saying Yanks should’ve signed Matt Holliday but Randy Winn, seriously?

So in terms of salary and production:

Gaudin, Winn>>>>>>>>Damon??????? Seriously?

Cashman signs CC and Tex, obviously. That does not make him a good GM. Swisher and Granderson were the only trades he has ever made that I liked. He can’t negotiate his way out of a paper bag. He nearly screwed up ARod. There was the Pavano, Wright, Lofton, Womack, Farnsworth signings all brilliant! The Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Javy Vazquez I deal.

77. Chris says:

Good to see the team stick to that $200 million budget. It’s much better to spend $2 million on Melky Cabrera + 11 years than to go over budget by $4mil and get Damon back.

Look at the comparison:

- Without Damon: $200 million payroll
    - With Damon: (approximately) $204 million payroll

$204 million?! That’s insane. That would have meant raising the team payroll almost 2%! In this economy?! Praise to Hal and Co. for being fiscally responsible.

Besides Winn appears to be a better defender using a small sample size of a questionable defensive metric. And I think we can all agree that when you think of great left fielders, you ALWAYS think of great defense over great offensive production. Offense is not that important in a critical defensive position, such as a corner outfield spot.

• vin says:

Do I detect sarcasm?

• Steve H says:

Scary, but I don’t think so.

• Chris says:

Of course, but I still don’t quite get the move. I can understand that Hal may be strict with the budget compared to his dad, but I don’t really get this signing otherwise. It seems like there will be guys like this around in ST. What’s he worth over a full season, assuming he platoons w/Gardner? 1/2 of a win? If that?

It’s also a tad absurd to listen to the constant budget nonsense when they lay out so much money already. It’s almost as bad as listening to John Henry whine about the Red Sox being the 16th largest market, and stating how hard it is for them to compete with the Yankees. He conveniently leaves out all the millions they’ve made since 2004 on pink hat sales.

• MikeD says:

Keep in mind that Winn is NOT the replacement for Damon. Winn replaces Melky as part of the Gardner platoon. He is a more than capable replacement for that situation, and might even be better. Granderson replaces Damon’s lefty bat in the line-up.

• Chris says:

I agree. I think Winn is a fine bench player/platoon for them. I think he should be reasonably decent considering what he has been signed to do for them.

It’s the crowing over the budget that I find a tad grating/condescending. It’s like a guy driving a Lambo explaining to you (a guy driving a Sentra) why he felt he thought getting the $700 brushed titanium shift plate was going overboard so he told the dealer to shove it.

• mike c says:

yay! i can’t wait to see winn hit 1 HR at YSIII this year. Damon’s deck is now officially “fiscal responsibility” deck

• Moshe Mandel says:

If we follow this line of thinking to its logical endpoint, they would never, ever have a budget. If you draw a line, you have to stick to it. Otherwise, it becomes meaningless.

• MattG says:

I was about to write this. Why have a budget if you are going to except that budget for a 36 year old outfielder? Exceptions should be made for Mark Teixiera, not Johnny Damon.

• Chris says:

This is true, but it’s not as if they’re going to sign or trade for a big name. The only player left you could even spend more than $5mil+ on would be Damon. And they would have no real need after that, unless there was an injury.

On top of that, they may be in the market for one of the huge names next year, so what happens to the budget at that point. There won’t be any real money coming off the books (assuming Jeter and Rivera re-sign). The only decent contract ending would be Pettitte, who will most likely come back as well if he decides to continue playing.

I guess my main point is that with all of the expensive long term deals in place, no real prospects close to the majors, and a prime crop of free agents coming next offseason; I don’t think that $200 million budget will hold.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Who said that it will hold? They haven’t made any statements to that effect. In fact, I remember a quote from Cashman drooling over next year’s FA. They set the budget based on a number they think gives them a chance to win and still be fiscally responsible. If next offseason, they feel that it would be smarter for the club to have a 230M payroll and add Cliff Lee, and that they could sustain that payroll due to added revenues, it doesnt represent inconsistency. It shows an understanding of the marketplace and their place within it.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Moshe, I have to say that you’re kicking ass today.

• Chris says:

Fair enough, but what is the difference between $200 and ~$204 million? I would argue one is not really more fiscally responsible than the other if the extra $4mil brings a good amount of value to the team.

This is assuming they could get Damon for ~$6mil on a one year deal. If he signs for more $ or years with another team, then I understand the move.

• Moshe Mandel says:

The first projected standings that I saw released had the Yankees at 102 wins, and Boston at 94. I wanted them to bring Damon back, but that was as a fan. Rationally, the marginal value added by him was unlikely to be 4M. In fact, being that they likely will make the postseason without him, his marginal value is likely to be much closer to 0 than 4M.

• Chris says:

The 102-win projection seems almost insane to me. I’ve never seen a reasonable projection for any team higher than 95+ wins. 100+ wins is incredibly difficult, no matter what the team looks like on paper.

I’m not sure what Damon’s value would be in wins if you project them as a 95+ win team, which I think would be reasonable. My guess is 1 win (2 if he can equal or exceed his production from last season). 1-2 wins on a team that strong is worth quite a bit, I would guess.

Please note that I have done no actual work to determine his value, so my numbers may be totally wrong.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Not to pick on you Chris, because most of the pro-Damon crowd makes the same assumption, but your argument assumes that Damon has a similar 2010 to his 2009, and obviously there is no guarantee of that.

IMO, FWIW, it is just as likely, and probably more so, that his 2010 more closely resembles his 2007 season than his 2009 season.

• Angelo says:

Smartest guy on RAB hands down.

78. MikeD says:

I’d rather have Damon back, but have no idea why Reed Jounson would have been better. The Yankees have recreated the Melky/Gardner outfield posistion with Winn/Gardner. Winn also had a .292 BA and .345 OBP away from SF.

Winn/Gardner replaces Melky/Gardner.
    Granderson replaces Damon.
    Johnson replaces Matsui.

They’ll hit a few less HRs, but run scoring will not be impacted by much, if at all. Defense had improved. Pitching staff is better.

Let the games begin.

79. Mo says:

Oh, the Giambi fiasco.

80. vin says:

I’d rather see Damon return, but not at the expense of Cashman’s reputation vis a vis future contract negotiations. This was a good, low-cost move by Cash.

81. Lanny says:

Well they found a guy who makes Melky look like an all star.

This just means they’ll be on the market looking for a bat come June.

They may regret not meeting Nady at 3.5 and they will regret not signing Damon.

82. steve s says:

Here’s the problem in a nutshell for me. The Yanks completely changed the offensive chemistry of their first WS winner in the last 10 years by getting rid of Matsui, Damon and Melky. One of the 3 ok but all 3 is a mistake. Jeter for years has been saying that the post-2000 Yanks did not understand how to get to the finish line. The Yanks finally assembled a WS winner and they are disassembled before the start of the next season. This is not about the stats of the replacements brought in for these guys; it is about the intangibles that come along with playing on a team that won in fantastic ways. Duplicating the excitement of 2009 would be hard to achieve under any circumstances but duplicating the results with players who haven’t demonstrated that they know how to get to the finish line will be harder.

83. Mo says:

Why tender a contract to Gaudin/Mitre for 4 million? Waste.

84. Jake H says:

I don’t get this move.

85. Reggie C. says:

Here’s hoping Cashman’s waiting for the prospects cost on Josh Willingham to come down at the trading deadline.

86. claybeez says:

Not thrilled. I understand the arguments in favor. With all the changes, the club should still be championship caliber. Still, I’d prefer Damon on a one year, 5-7 million deal over Winn + Gaudin and Mitre. Not that SP depth isn’t valuable. It’s not as if we don’t have Hughes, Ace, Hirsh, Nova, etc.

87. aj says:

What the hell, MLBTR says Damon would have played for 7M for one year. You telling me the YANKEES let 5M get in the way of a much more productive hitter who we just won the world series with last year? anyway, not a horrible deal for depth.

88. Lanny says:

Tough to break up the best 1-2-3-4 in baseball and was a very big reason we won a title. Johnson has some big shoes to fill in the lineup.

89. mustang says:

No more waiting around For Damon.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS free at last, free at last.

This might be the best part of the deal.

90. Mo says:

Damon will be on Tampa raking against the Yanks. Nice work.

91. JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Now the real question, where does Damon end up now? Looking around, I see the Giants, Reds, Mariners, Tigers as possibilities, but do to a myriad of reasons, he’s not a good for with any of them.

Darkhorse favorites: The Indians.

92. Peter says:

I could see Randy Winn being the starting LFer come opening day.

Wouldn’t surprise me one little bit.

93. Mo says:

Younger and more athletic was the offseason mantra.
    Granderson – yes
    Nick Johnson – younger than Matsui,but fat, very slow destined to spend time on DL, oh his OBP
    Javier Vazquez- good 4th starter, not a young arm
    Melky is gone and hes younger and better than Winn or Gardner
    Coke, Dunn gone because the older Marte was really lights out in ALCS & WS
    Damon and Matsui had to go, too old. Andy Pettite stays for 11-12 million, that’s a contradiction.

94. just had this conco with someone at work:

him: winn sucks, there goes the getting offense from our of era
    me: what? with grandy and swisher who cares?
    him: granderson stinks, he has a low batting avg
    me: batting avg really doesnt mean much
    him: so you dont value getting hits?
    : give the numbers and such on granderson and how he is a solid offensive player with plus defense and will more than likely improve on last yrme

me: are you one of those people that thinks swisher sucks too because of low avg?

him: no hes good but i guess i get to see him play all the time. if i saw granderson play more id prob have a different opinion

::facepalm::

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

dont facepalm!!!

this is a teaching moment!!! you are so close to getting him to the dark side!!!

95. A.D. says:

The big question is what goes Winn do about the goatee? Does he go clean-shave, our ‘stache????

96. [...] Confidence Poll « Yanks reach one-year deal with Randy Winn Jan [...]

97. Poopy Pants says:

I thought ‘getting one pitcher and lowering payroll’ was the mantra?

98. Warren says:

Now to see how it all plays out for every MLB team in the next 162 games.

How many teams will field the players they have on their rosters today come August, September ?

99. Salty Buggah says:

Solid signing for all the reasons the smart commenters already stated. In Cash We Trust.

100. Not the Rays says:

I don’t know which needlessly worried comment to reply to so:

There is no possible way the Randy Winn contract will be a ‘disaster’ or even bad. At worst it will end up a sunk cost of 1% of the yankees budget for this year and this year only.

Randy Winn could break both legs tomorrow and miss the season and the yankees will be fine.

Randy Winn could OPS .000 in 200 ABs and be released and the Yankees will be fine.

At worst he is a non-event.

8 good to great hitters + 1 weak hitting 9 hitter who can play defense + A Stud Starting staff that is coming off a championship and ADDED 2009 NL #2 Strikeout Pitcher as the 4th Starter + Strong bullpen with g-d at the back end = recipe for phenomenal success.

If the Yankees don’t repeat, it will be because of luck and injuries, not the downgrade from Johnny to Randy Winn.

Don’t get me wrong – I will miss JD’s bat and endearing lisp and awesome Elvis salute to the bleacher creatures. And now we won’t score 1000 runs, only 925-975.

BUT:

In 1996 the yankees won a world series with future HOFer Tim Raines in Left Field.

By 1998, they had downgraded to Chad Curtis. (1998 regular season OPS+ of 90).

In 1999, proven-winner Chad Curtis (OPS+ made it to par) split time with unproven rookie Ricky Ledee (1999 OPS+ of 110 thanks to BABIP anomally), jeopardizing the winning formula.

In 2000, after proven-winner Chad Curtis was shipped out of town for no reason at all other than criticizing Derek Jeter’s commitment to the team and the game,newly proven winner Ledee was traded after OPS+ing 90 for the team (ended year at 78) After that, they never really settled on a left fielder, David Justice mostly, but he spent significant time in RF and CF as well. using various players when Justice was not in left, including Glenallen Hill, Jose Canseco, Luis Polonia, and Clay Bellinger.

It’s going to be ok.

101. mustang says:

Is Randy Winn >>>> Gary Matthews Jr?

I thinking so and that’s so sad for Mets fans.

102. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

You know, I did notice one thing. The Yankees were looking to get a guy who was a borderline player who played good defense but could hit LH pitching well. Well Winn plays good defense, but against LH pithig he’s awful. Yanks could have a real weakness there.

Though some bright spark on the Pinstriped bible pointed out that Granderson hit lefties still bad, but much better on the road than at home. So that’s good. Still, I’m worried at our lack of OF lefty production.

103. [...] the Yankees agreed to a deal with Randy Winn this afternoon, it effectively ended Johnny Damon’s tenure in pinstripes. [...]

104. Mike HC says:

He is just a Melky replacement. Looking at their stats, it seems like they will probably put up similar offense numbers this year, and by eye alone, they both seem to be solid OF’s. The hot hand between Gardner and Winn will get the most playing time.

Or the Yanks will pull a fast one on everybody and they still resign Damon when Damon crawls back after he realizes there is no way he can have the motivation to play for a shitty team all summer long.

105. Johnny says:

Winn would be a nice fourth outfielder, but Gardner was supposed to be the fourth outfielder.

106. Joseph M says:

I don’t know why if money was an issue the Yanks didn’t just hang on to Damon and Melky and Matsui and forget about Granderson, Winn, Johnson and Vazquez.They probably would have broke even and they could use Hughes and Joba in the rotation. I think the team made a series of very bad moves and this is just another example. Why not continue to try to work on something with Damon, I don’t think many teams were banging on the door for this guy. Would it it really make much of a difference if they waited? If Winn signed with someone else, who cares. At what point in the season could they not get a player as good.

• Evilest Empire says:

This wasn’t about money. This was about improving the pitching staff and defense of the outfield while maintaining the same offensive production and adhering to a very acceptable $200M budget.

107. Bob says:

Give Winn and Cash the benefit of seeing what he contributes to the team before prejudging the move

108. BOOO says:

At the end of the day do you rather have Melky, Matsui, Damon or Vazquez, Granderson, NJ, Winn?

• WIlliam says:

I’de rather the Yankees have Damon, Vazquez, Granderson and NJ than Melky, Matsui, Winn and 3-5 mil. Period, Underline it.

109. YANKEEPOWERHOUSE says:

I LIKE DEFENSE AND WINN IS THE BEST FREE AGENT OPTION…NOW SIGN GABE GROSS

110. wiljaq1 says:

This is so damn ugly that I wish I could slap both Cashman & Boras.

Wake me up when Winn moves on!

111. WIlliam says:

Maybe we can get the McCourts to give us Matt Kemp for Kei Igawa. They don’t seem very preoccupied with baseball at the moment.

112. W.W.J.M.D. says:

I was wishing for this signing after Mike Cameron signed with the Sux[sic]. He play amazing D and if he can improve his horrible numbers vs LHP, i would have no problem with him playing 130 games and batting 9th. That is, unless someone else has an amazing ST from the group of Gardner, Hoffman and any other LF options.

113. Bucksky619 says:

All the negativity about Winn proves that many Yankee fans are spoiled. I respect Cashman’s efforts to reign in the payroll. After all the spending the team did last year and considering next year’s attractive free agent class and the prospect of re-signing Jeter and Mo it makes sense. Damon is not a Yankee because of he and Boras’s delusions of grandure. Now he’ll be lucky to get a job much less his multi year 8 figure fantasy. I’m fine with Winn and Gardner platooning in left. Cash can always acquire another outfielder mid season if necessary. Just remember Winn is not there to replace Johnny Damon’s production rather he and Gardner are there to replace Melky Cabrera. Replacing Damon and Matsui is Granderson and Johnson’s responsibility. Meanwhile we will have good defense in left and center at all times and the Swisher show in right. I like Cash’s approach and this Yankee fan is on board.

114. wiljaq1 says:

Yankees fans are not spoiled, we just expect excellence, and we KNOW that with all the money that the Yankees rake in that they can afford it.

I don’t blame just Cashman for this, but the Boras/Damon-two-headed-monster too.

115. [...] Yanks reach one-year deal with Randy Winn | River Avenue Blues(AP Photo/Kathy Willens) Proving once and far all that the team was serious about both having a budget and not overpaying for Johnny Damon, the Yankees today reached a one-year deal with Randy Winn, pending a physical. Read more [...]

116. [...] word got out that the Yankees had agreed to a deal with Randy Winn yesterday, many fans were up in arms over letting a silly little thing like a [...]

117. [...] the Yankees signed Randy Winn yesterday, the move kicked off a firestorm of comments. Even though pitchers and catchers are still three [...]

118. [...] the Yankees first reached an agreement with Randy Winn a few weeks back, reports indicated that he would receive the last $2M left in the [...]