Mar

Open Thread: A day-one win and some old friends

For the 2010 Yankees, Spring Training started with a familiar feel to it. While A.J. Burnett wasn’t around to pie Colin Curtis, the 25-year-old’s walk-off three-run home run in the bottom of the 9th gave the Yanks a 6-3 win over the Pirates in their Grapefruit League debut.

For the Yankees, though, the day was about getting work in than anything else. Chad Gaudin, Sergio Mitre and Alfredo Aceves, all supposed fifth starter candidates, threw two innings apiece. Each struck out one, and Gaudin was the only hurler to surrender a hit. Royce Ring, Jason Hirsh and Amaury Sanit each got some work in while the Pirates’ three runs came off of Jonathan Albaladejo.

Offensively, Ramiro Peña’s solo shot off of Steven Jackson put the Yanks on the board. Nick Johnson added an RBI double, and Curtis capped off the day with his three-run shot. The Yanks play Roy Halladay and the Phillies tomorrow afternoon. Kei Igawa and Boone Logan will both take the hill for the Bombers.

Anyway, this is your open thread for the evening. You know the drill; be good to each other. After the jump and before the comments, I’ve posted some pictures from around Spring Training of some old Yankee friends donning their new uniforms. Enjoy.

Johnny Damon, where he always wanted to be. You decide what the ‘D’ stands for. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

The Angels are willing to humor Hideki Matsui‘s desire to play the outfield for a few more weeks. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

Melky sports the beard. (AP Photo/Rob Carr)

Phil Coke sports…a mullet? (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

1. Johnny Damon: I’ve always wanted to play in Baghdad.

Reporter: Johnny, you’re in Detroit.

Damon: Really? I was gonna say it was awfully chilly. Some great ancient ruins, though. This place is great!

2. Johnny’s shoes look like they’re too big and out of proportion with the rest of his body.

I know what that’s all about…

3. Rod Beck impression: you’re doing it right, Phil.

4. Spaceman.Spiff says:

Invisible shades??

5. Will says:

I want Edwar back!! Albaladejo stanks

6. Day after tomorrow I will be in Florida!! ZOMG!

7. Godzilla looks like he’s pitching in that picture.

CC starts tomorrow, right?

8. Drew says:

Phil Coke fail.

9. Melky’s chinstrap beard actually looks pretty good on him.

10. bexarama says:

Matsui saying he thought he’d get booed in Yankee Stadium made me very very sad :(

Good luck if Scioscia really is gonna play him in the field, though…

11. Jammer says:

I would make love to Melky anyday of the week

12. JobaWockeeZ says:

So what are the chances of Jake being alex gonzalez’s brother?

13. Riddering says:

Coke looks like he’s not in the best shape of his life.

I thought Sabathia was going to do some pitching tomorrow–when did that change?

14. larryf says:

Is there a spring training binder next to Joe? Lots of strategy and lineup changes in these ST games. We were in Tampa on Sunday and Colin was hitting pitch after pitch in BP over the RF wall. Sweet swing. I guess Scranton will be on top again this year…..

15. Steve H says:

At what point does the NFL take control of the Raiders thru eminent domain?

Oakland Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt started only one game last season. But the Raiders apparently think he’ll do big things for them in the future.

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that the Raiders will likely tender Routt, a restricted free agent, at the first-and third-round level. That means Routt will receive a one-year offer with a salary of $3.268 million.

If any team were to make Routt an offer, and the Raiders didn’t match it, Oakland would receive that team’s first- and third-round draft picks. It’s safe to say no team is making Routt an offer.

So why did the Raiders tender Routt at such a high level? Caplan notes that Routt is 6-foot-1 and has good speed, and that Raiders owner Al Davis liked him when the Raiders selected him in the 2005 draft.

And in Oakland, if Al Davis likes you, you’re golden.

16. bexarama says:

so according to Jeopardy, if a baseball player fields a ball with his hat, all the baserunners are allowed to take three bases.

I… did not know this.

17. JGS says:

wow, the doctor is making some embarrassing mistakes here

18. JobaWockeeZ says:

Fantasy baseball min my second pick the top choices for me at this point are Ellsbury, Crawford, Pedroia and A-Gon in that order if Holliday and Upton aren’t taken at that point which is possible. So I take out the weaker ones and it leaves me choosing between Crawford and A-Gon. Who should I take?

19. DP: The Triple Entrendre says:

Once again taking post-game/evening suggestions for the area. Also does anyone know what time the bars close down there?

20. Have you guys heard that the Nets are so desperate for attendance, they’re doing your taxes for free?

Seriously, you get a credit at I’M RONNIE DEUTCH, THE FUCKING ACCOUNTANT’s office.

LOL

21. Sean says:

D stands for D-bag

22. T-Dubs says:

Matty, I missed the 1st half. How bad has this game been to warrant a 20-17 score?

23. Chris A says:

Anyone know if the Yankee game on MLBN will be blacked out tomorrow for those of us in the New York area? Since the game is only on MLBN I would assume it wouldn’t right?

24. donttradecano says:

how is kansas vs kansas state not on espn

• Rick in Boston says:

Because they picked the games at the beginning of the year and K-State was not supposed to be this good. UConn/Notre Dame looked like a battle between two potential Sweet 16 teams, not two bubble squads.

25. Rick in Boston says:

Does anyone have a clue whether or not Dolan knows he still owns the Rangers?

26. I’m bored… let’s mock. Chime in with your thoughts. I’ll start:

1-STL: QB Sam Bradford (Yeah, that’s right.)
    2-DET: DT Ndamukong Suh
    3-TB: DT Gerald McCoy
    4-WAS: QB Jimmy Clausen
    5-KC: S Eric Berry
    6-SEA: T Russell Okung
    7-CLE: DE/OLB Jason Pierre-Paul
    8-OAK: T Anthony Davis
    9-BUF: T Bruce Campbell (boom)
    10-JAX: WR Dez Bryant
    28-SD:
    29-NYJ:
    30-MIN:
    31-IND:
    32-NO:

27. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

JUST UPGRADED TO SECTION 110!!!!!!!!!!!! I’M ON FIELD LEVEL, BABY!!!!!!

28. Jamal G. says:

Later in the press conference, and at the request of a reporter, didn’t Damon clarify that the ‘where I always wanted to be line’ meant that Detroit was his first choice after he realized that New York was no longer an option?

• bexarama says:

(sees no one answered this question)

IIRC, yeah.

• Well, we all know Johnny’s not a silvertongued wordsmith, but perhaps the whole oddness/off-puttingness of the quote could have been averted had he not used the word “always”.

“This is where I wanted to be” is very different than “this is where I always wanted to be” when you’re referring to the 20-30% of the total time of the offseason that Johnny claims he’s referring to.

• bexarama says:

True.

Like you said, he’s not a silvertongued wordsmith though, and I say/type stupid sh-t all the time so I can relate.

• bexarama says:

Not that Damon didn’t say some really dumb things, like that the Yankees didn’t sign him because they listened to the media and that Derek Jeter should be ready to take a (whatever percentage) pay cut for next year.

29. 10:30 PM for Yankees encore?

Seriously, how many people are going to watch the Nets?

30. DP: The Triple Entrendre says:

D stands for Damon Desires Da Dough.

31. donttradecano says:

so had this argument the other day:

Basketball players are the best athletes. Discuss

32. Steve H, I answered your question in my Montero article. As a 1B w/Tex’s adjustment, -11.7 and +/- 0 runs defensively: 3.20 WAR.

33. If you’re not listening to anything, I can’t recommend highly enough the FAN interviews with Cashman and Girardi today. Pretty much all the stuff we’ve been kicking around this off season was cleared up.

Here’s the run down:

-Johnson will bat 2nd

-Granderson will play CF

-Cano will hit 5th, to avoid ‘stacking the Lefties’ and because of his contact ability (Posada 6th, Grandy 7th, Swisher 8th, Gardner 9th)

-He doesn’t believe Cano has issues with RISP, small sample.

-Posada catches 100-120 games.

-Johnson will play a little 1B, maybe 2-3 times some months depending on the schedule. Tex DHs those days.

-Granderson plays every day. Doesn’t sit vs Lefties, at least to start the season.

I found the last part where he discussed winning as a player vs winning as a manager really insightful as well.

34. T-Dubs: I didn’t see the end, but I’m sure the Huskies lost?

35. donttradecano says:

Anyone know where to get tv ratings by sport? Like hockey, college bball, etc.

36. T-Dubs says:

Fortune Cookie Numbers Game:

50, 14, 31, 53, 26, 11

50- Matt Lawton
    14- Miguel Cairo
    ….

37. donttradecano says:

Bill Walker looks like a keeper

38. Sean says:

What ever happened to the RAB meme dictionary? I’m so confused.

39. Jose says:

Really? They actually posted that?

40. Moshe Mandel says:

Anyone have a link to a season or playoff recap video that includes the broadcast calls, without any major editing done? I havent been able to find any that were comprehensive on all the major moments and didnt have a ton of music involved or stuff like that. Anybody?

41. Steve H says:

Rex Ryan needs another starting cornerback, and Antonio Cromartie needs a new team.

NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi says that the Jets are “extremely” interested in Cromartie despite some reports to the contrary.

Can’t wait to see him covering future Patriot wideout Anquan Boldin.

42. bexarama says:

NoMaas:

Hmmm. When I think “polarizing figure” and “Yankees,” I think of Steinbrenner and A-Rod. I doubt NoMaas got interviews with those guys.

43. Zack says:

Raiders gave their LONG SNAPPER a 2nd round tender, which means they’ve committed “$7,134 million in salary alone for both kickers, their long snapper and a core special teams player”

44. danny says:

woooooo maryland!

45. camilo Gerardo says:

hehe, nomaas interview with polarizing figure, brett gardner!