Oct

Fan Confidence Poll: October 18th, 2010

Record Last Week: 1-1 (8 RS, 12 RA) tied at one with the Rangers in best-of-seven ALCS
Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card
Schedule This Week: ALCS Game Three (Mon. vs. Rangers), ALCS Game Four (Tues. vs. Rangers), ALCS Game Five (Weds. vs. Rangers), ALCS Game Six (Fri. @ Rangers, if necessary), ALCS Game Seven (Sat. @ Rangers, if necessary)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. How many people are going to ignore this:

Given the team’s current roster construction, farm system, management, etc., how confident are you in the Yankees’ overall future?

And instead think this:

How confident are you in beating Cliff Lee tonight, haha there’s no chance hurry up and vote a 1 or 2?

• Doug says:

I think most people ignore the former almost all the time when they vote. It’s more in the here and now.

• Brandon W says:

Can’t it be both? I voted a 7. Long-term my vote would trend more towards an 8, 8.5.. short term, I’m feeling more a 6, 6.5 (Cliff Lee tonight, the question mark of AJ Burnett tomorrow, anything being able to happen in a short series, I’m just not super confident).
        They both have to factor into the decision, and I weight short-term over long-term in this case; they have an opportunity for a ring NOW.

2. kosmo says:

getting Greinke for the 2 years remaining on his current contract via a trade for whomever the Yanks wish to part with makes some sense.He´s 5 years Lee´s junior.His disabilities now seem behind him.

The Yanks will deconstruct Lee tonight!!

• YankeesJunkie says:

Greinke will cost too many prospects and I have heard that he does not really want to pitch in a place like NY.

• Graig not Craig says:

I voted 10. Right now the Yankees are 3 games from the World Series with 3 games to play at home.

For the future – we hold many chips. The farm system has some promising pitchers as well as position players, some that may rise to the level of everyday Yankee players, but more that will make up attractive trade proposals. Then there is the front office’s proven willingness to pay for what is needed and take risks (some that pay off others that don’t).

The only negative I can see is aging core players. But I can also see a possible future core forming around Robinson Cano, Jesus Montero, and players to be named later. I stand by my solid 10.

3. Chris says:

I voted a 9. I think people are making way too big a deal out of Cliff Lee starting tonight.

Here are Lee’s starts against the Yankees the last two seasons:

9/12/10: 8IP 1R
    8/11/10: 6.1IP 4R
    6/29/10: 9IP 4R
    11/2/09: 7IP 5R
    10/28/09: 9IP 1R
    5/29/09: 6IP 3R
    4/16/09: 6IP 1R

He’s certainly a good pitcher, but he’s not a super hero. There are only two starts out of those 7 that would really concern me (9/12/10 and 10/28/09). The Yankees have shown that they can get to the Texas bullpen, so to keep the Yankees off the board, Lee really needs to pitch 8 or 9 innings tonight. The only other way I see Texas winning is if Pettitte pitches like Hughes did in Game 2.

• mustang says:

Agree.

And I think the Yankees can take a lost tonight to Lee a lot easier then the Rangers watching their ace take a lost. Bottom-line if the Yankees take down Lee tonight thats a big hit to the Rangers confidence.

• Doug says:

Agree (hopefully).

For what it’s worth (maybe not much), the expected starting lineup tonite has a healthy .288/.341/.502 triple slash line in their careers vs. Mr. Lee

• Julie says:

Trivia Tryst will be hosting a Yankee-themed pub quiz night at Stone Creek on Wednesday, October 18th at 8pm!

Will be awesome – be there, Yankee fans!

4. Yank the Frank says:

I went with an 8. If Andy can give an Andy like performance and we can get into the Texas bullpen by the 7th we will be fine.

5. Mister Delaware says:

10. There is no team I’d trade “current roster construction, farm system, management” with so, in relative MLB terms, it has to be a 10.

6. larryf says:

Tonight is one game where I won’t scream at Jeter for swinging at the first pitch. Gardy is not gonna see alot of pitches for balls either so a bunt early in the count may be effective.

Tex wakes up?

I’ll go with an 8

7. Jorge says:

9. I balanced my 10 for the overall future with about an 8.5 for getting out of the ALCS alive and arrived at about a 9.3, then rounded off.

8. Mike HC says:

Still a ten. Name me one team in baseball with a brighter future than the Yanks? With the best lineup in baseball and pitching to compete with anyone, I also think we are the best team this year.

9. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

I went with the old number one again! Andy will bring his 1 game tonight!

10. Graig not Craig says:

Fixed.

11. Januz says:

People need to take chill pills. I am not saying Lee is not a great pitcher, he is. But everyone is acting like he is Steve Nebraska in “The Scout”, not only is he unbeatable but perfect. Thank God, the team does not have that attitude. Like the team, I have confidence they can score on him, and in Andy Pettitte’s ability to not implode and give the Yankees a chance to win.

12. AndrewYF says:

9. There’s always room for improvement until you win 114 regular season games or win the World Series.

But you don’t get a much better situation than what the Yankees have right now. In a competitive ALCS, best run differential in the game, an aging core being replaced by a prime-aged core, young stud prospects coming up through the system, both hitting and pitching, a manager who makes some dumb moves but is a master at managing bullpens in the longterm and finding diamonds in the rough. A hitting coach who can heal all ills except lack of talent. An unlimited budget.

It’s a good time to be a Yankees fan.

13. yankthemike says:

I noticed that this week there are more 8s than 9s- at least at the moment. does one playoff loss out of five really lower the fan base confidence that much? was it the shaky starts? I guess I could read all the comments but I don’t want to be depressed by them

14. dkla says:

i can’t shake this feeling that the rangers are a “team of destiny”

hopefully that destiny is “they will be golfing next week”

15. Ana says:

Shoot 16 people voted a 1? WTF?

16. virginia yankee says:

where the team is has nothing to do with Girardi – he is not the worst manager and may be a fine person but the team is good and resilient.

He is actually quite stupid. He gave up on game 1 vs Texas by going to Joba (1 inn) and Mosely — if he mean to control the game the best choice for 2-3 innings was Robertson then worry the end game

Mosely and Joba did more than expected — luck over recent experience. He wasted his key LH only LH pitcher in against a so so batter in a classic situation where the opponent mgr PH negating the move.

He wasted an insurance run by having/allowing Swisher to bunt — if the bunt was critical then PH Pena who can bunt —

He is still playing Posada who (we love Jorge) who is more liability than asset and batting him ahead of Granderson — the last 20 games the hor hand at C was Cervelli (I know no HR power – but I’ll take moving runners”

I could go on but my ulcer can’t stand it. Too bad Eric Wedge is off to Seattle.

When Girardi makes a decision that merits praise I will happily give it

• dark side of the goon says:

I am not a Girardi hater and I see why he’s been playing Jorge but the bunting has got to stop unless it’s Pena.

17. dark side of the goon says:

I love Jorge but he’s embarrassing lately. I’d rather let him DH and have Cervelli’s rookie arm behind the plate.