Nov

Update: Vazquez to receive Yanks’ only arb offer

Contrary to initial reports, the Yankees will offer arbitration only to Javier Vazquez ahead of this evening’s midnight deadline. We had originally heard that the Yanks planned to offer it to Kerry Wood as well. The decision not to offer arbitration to Wood belies the Yanks’ concerns that he would have accepted and thus would earn far more than the team wants to pay their set-up man. Vazquez is expected to decline the offer, and the Yanks will recoup a supplemental first-round pick when he signs with another team this winter. The Yankees have declined to offer arbitration to Lance Berkman, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter, but under the 2007 CBA, the club can continue to negotiation with any or all of their own free agents.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Dax J. says:

Crap! I was hoping they offered arbitration to Kerry Wood. At least we got some value out of Vazquez.

2. I still don’t understand the decision not to offer Berkman arbitration. He didn’t want to come back anyway, so what gives?

• Avi says:

For $15M or more he’d come back.

• radnom says:

Considering part of the condition of him getting traded was that the Yankees do not pick up his option for close to that much I don’t think you can say that with any certainty.

That being said, I (and the Yankees clearly) agree that its too risky.

• Avi says:

I bet Berkman is wishing the Yanks picked up his option.

• CP says:

I thought a condition of the trade was that the Yankees NOT pick it up. That condition would have been put in place by Berkman.

• I’d say it’s pretty safe to assume that he wanted the option declined back in July/August because he wanted the freedom to hit the market and pick the destination of his choosing, but now that the market is here and he’s actually seen it and who his potential suitors are (and what they’d pay him), he’d probably choose the security of the arbitration payday over what the market would offer.

For instance, the rumor back in July was that he wanted the option declined so he could resign back in Houston this winter. Houston seems to no longer want him back, though.

His priorities have likely changed in the past few months.

• J says:

Things have changed since then. Houston moved Carlos Lee to first, and who knows if Texas is even a possibility anymore. Plus Berkman’s numbers were terrible post-trade, which dampens his FA value.
          At the time of the trade, Berkmans insistance on the option was reason to offer arbitration. But not now

• Yeah, I’m in the ‘make the offer’ corner, but this was pretty obviously going to be the outcome. The Yanks have been very conservative with their arbitration offers in recent years, and to make the offer to Berkman would have been a risk.

At the end of the day, if the current news hold true (offer only to Javy), then all this excitement today was really over not a whole lot – in the end, the only offer is going to go to a guy who has agreed to decline it, it’s not like they’re exhibiting any change to their M.O.

• theyankeewarrior says:

He did quite well in pinstripes, hits for left handed power, loves Andy Pettitte, and would really LOVE to make 16M next season.

So no matter what he says, there’s always a chance he could accept.

3. mbonzo says:

I assumed the Yankees had worked out something with Wood like they did with Vazquez. Disappointing they didn’t. This should lower the chance that they sign another type A free agent.

4. hlrjr says:

well at least we’ll get that supplemental pick.

the pick will most likely be in the back half of the supplemental round right?

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

Wow ballsy. I like it. IMO I think its less risky if Berkman was the one they chose but can’t complain.

6. Avi says:

I’m pleasantly surprised the Yanks are going to net a pick on Vazquez here. I didn’t think they’d risk him accepting the arbitration offer and didn’t know these “Gentleman’s agreements” happen.
    I’d imagine that Vazquez is far along enough in talks with other teams (or perhaps has an offer already) that he’s comfortable letting the Yanks know he won’t accept. Which means he’s probably going to get a nice contract. He’s not walking away from 12M to sign a one year 5M deal elsewhere for example.
    As much as I hate Vazquez I think he still has effective non-Yankee years ahead of him.

7. Mike HC says:

So at the end of the day, literally, the Yanks only offered arbitration to a guy who agreed to decline it beforehand. Less excitement than originally thought.

8. Kyle says:

What happens if no one wants to offer a first round pick for Vazquez and he declines arb? Will he remain a free agent until someone forfeits a pick?

9. Lisa says:

I really want Kerry Wood back. When I heard about the arbitration, I felt like it was Christmas. But I unwrapped the present and found a McDonald’s coupon.

I still hold out a slim hope. The Yankees are at least interested in wood to even think about it. I get that the cost is too high for a set-up man. So if they’re thinking he would take arbitration then there’s hope that wood might consider coming back to the bronx (even if not as closer). So maybe the Yankees have a chance to get him back in 2011 at a better price.

Puma would be good too. He can back-up 1st base & he hits well after his time with Kevin Long. But part of the deal was for no arbitration and Puma is looking for a full time gig. Would he be willing to be a DH? My guess is, yes, if he can’t get a full-time 1st base job. Plus, his friendship with Andy & the fact that he liked playing for the yankees (it rejuvinated him) & $$$$, may be enough for him to stay for a year and forgo his desire to play full time. It’s best not to arbitrate. Too risky.