Mar

Open Thread: Mo … and everyone else

That’s tough to see, so I highly recommend clicking on the image to open a larger view. It shows the number of closers that each team has used during the Mariano Rivera era, which spans from 1997 to present (so 13 full seasons going on 14). Only two other clubs have used fewer than five closers in that time, and that’s the Angels (Troy Percival, Francisco Rodriguez, Brian Fuentes) and Padres (Trevor Hoffman, Rod Beck the year Hoffman was hurt, and Heath Bell) with three. The Cubs have managed to use eleven closers in the last 13 years, with the only repeater being Ryan Dempster. As if you needed more proof, Mo is awesome. (h/t Gleeman)

Once you’re done marveling at that, use this as your open thread. The Red Sox and Astros still have a Grapefruit League game to play tonight (on MLB Network), though all five hockey and basketball locals are in action as well, some against each other. Oh, and CC Sabathia will be on Letterman tonight, I mean it this time. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Bryan L says:

Calm before the storm.

2. Brooklyn Ed says:

soo yeah, Brandon Belt made the team. can’t wait to see him rake, like Posey did.

3. So I’m pretty (read: SUPER UBER MEGA) excited about going to my first Opening Day tomorrow, but I’ve been looking at the weather forecast, and it looks pretty bad, and even worse on Friday. How long do you think the team will wait to play tomorrow?

• First time lawng time says:

Looks like it’s going to rain the entire himestand except the weekend lol. I’m sure they’ll get in though. Have fun at the game!

4. Total Dominication says:

This seemed pretty cool.

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

Anyone want great analysis for fantasy baseball? Ignore those older Yankees like Teix and go get Ellsbury!

And Cano won’t be the best 2B fantasy wise because laser show is coming back despite only hitting in a bandbox, despite his injury concerns and despite is worse hitting skills, he’ll be the motherfucking best.

• bexarama says:

I saw this. I don’t know fantasy very well but it seemed odd even to me. Who’s gonna go get guys like Garcia (or Nova, unless it’s a very deep draft) just because they’re Yankees? If they do they’re dumb anyway. If nothing else, guys like A-Rod and Tex will get you HR and RBI.

I also liked this:
      The Rays and Yankees are good enough to make the playoffs, but they won’t.
      I understand people saying the Yankees won’t make the playoffs, but neither the Yankees or the Rays? That is insanity.

Also, Lowrie is made out of tissue paper. I know there’s a lot of risk involved with many players and Lowrie is a pretty good late-round gamble but him saying confidently that he’ll be a top 5 or 10 fantasy SS with 20+ HR is crazy.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

It’s possible he’s screwing around because at the end he was like feel free to bash me or mock me at Twitter but this is ridiculous.

I knew the MSM was going to go overboard but after seeing SI’s AND ESPN’s rankings I don’t think anyone could not say that they don’t love them their Sox.

If Kelly was still on that team the universe wold explode of how good that team will be.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

guy drafted Nova in my league. yeah, its a 12 team league but damn…Nova?

Me, I got Sabathia instead.

/fatkidssticktogether’d
        /rltw

• Kiersten says:

JOSH BECKETT HAD A 5+ ERA LAST YEAR HE HAS LIKE .00000001% CHANCE OF WINNING THE CY YOUNG.

6. First time lawng time says:

eVeryone complains that the Yankees are old. Fun fact: the yankees aren,t evn in the top 10. Number 1 is phillies and 2 is boston. The Yankees? Number 11. HA.

7. YankeesJunkie says:

I am starting a league here a couple weeks in the season with the draft on April 14th (two Wednesday from now). This league is based off metric stats and is a 20 team league. With the draft starting a couple weeks in the season it will be a little different than most drafts as you get a two week free preview. However, here is the info and if you and/or friends would like to join it should be a fun year.

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/t.....eId=229055
    Password: Yankees

8. Januz says:

The thing about Rivera is he makes it looks effortless. There are very few athletes who you can say that about. Even in a game where he is not at his best, he generally comes through (Like against Arizona last year).

9. Total Dominication says:

Some pretty good summary of the upcoming year by Verducci.

10. 28 this year says:

My fantasy team, 6 team league, 2nd pick

Batting Categories Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Total Bases (TB), Errors (E), On-base Percentage (OBP), Slugging Percentage (SLG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Extra Base Hits (XBH), Hitting for the Cycle (CYC), Grand Slam Home Runs (SLAM)

C Buster Posey
    1B Adrian Gonzalez
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Hanley Ramirez
    3B Adrian Beltre
    OF Brett Gardner
    OF Jay Brue
    OF Colby Rasmus
    Util Curtis Granderson
    Util Ben Zobrist
    BN Jacoby Ellsbury
    BN Elvis Andrus
    BN Gordon Beckham

Pitching Categories Innings Pitched (IP), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Earned Runs (ER), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9), On-base Percentage Against (OBPA), Hits Per Nine Innings (H/9), Walks Per Nine Innings (BB/9), No Hitters (NH), Perfect Games (PG)

SP Roy Halladay
    SP Cliff Lee
    SP Tim Lincecum
    RP Carlos Marmol
    RP Neftali Feliz
    P Matt Cain
    P Huston Street
    P Matt Thorton
    BN Jonathan Sanchez

The extra categories makes this tougher. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether the bench position players should be starting over my starters?

11. First time lawng time says:

Does anyone here honestly think the Yankees will make the playoffs? I want honesty here not wishful thinking

12. First time lawng time says:

World series predictions?

13. bexarama says:

Because of the airing of grievances thread, I would like to propose a Crazy Cheerleader Insane Optimism Prediction Thread right here. Hey, both SOSH and some other major analysis site (I wanna say it’s BBTF but I’m not sure) have a Red Sox Fanboy Dream Predictions thread.

14. Dax J. says:

Folks, quick question:

Would you guys pick up Edwin Jackson or John Lackey on waivers? I had Johnny Cueto but he was placed on the 15-day DL.

15. first time lawng time says:

This Yankees team will have to earn its way into the postseason. It isn’t one that is built to dominate like those in the recent past. But there’s no reason to panic. They’ll be alright.

I don’t know who this Mark Simon guy is, but he seems like a decent character.

16. First time lawng time says:

I don’t know why but I feel a great year coming from aj.

17. Tom Zig says:

Does anyone have a link to the ESPN article or whatever that had the average age of each team?

18. CMP says:

Alfredo Aceves threw 5 perfect innings in AAA today and struck out 9. Not bad for a guy who was too injured to be worth $650K.

19. Tom Zig says:

Corey Hart to the DL. Picking up Brandon Belt and stashing him on the bench.

20. Kevin G. says:

OF:Cuddyer
    OF:Beltran
    OF:Drew
    UTIL:Posada
    Bench:Overbay
    Bench:Montero (had to)

P: J. Johnson, Haren, Feliz, Brett Anderson, CJ Wilson, J. Jurrjens, Porcello, Jake Westbrook, Anibal Sanchez
    Bench: Capps

I know it sucks, lolwhatevs

• MannyGeee says:

not mad at your pitching… Posada as a late round grab is pretty cool if you need a catcher. I woulda skipped Overbay, but the Bucs actually look SOLID offensively, so you might get some blood from that stone.

21. Tom Zig says:

RP: Ryan Franklin
    P: Bobby Jenks
    P: David Robertson
    Bench: Jorge De la Rosa
    Bench: John Danks
    Bench: Michael Pineda

Aside from a weakish outfield and question marks at closer, I’m very happy with this team.

22. Brian says:

Letterman is late night television what CC is to pitching.

23. Mike O says:

10 team rot (I drafted 9)
    C-M. wieters
    SP- Z. Greinke
    P- M. Scherzer
    P- J.Hellickson
    RP- J. Broxton
    RP- M. Rivera
    BN- R. Romero

So I have a dl slot open because of Greinke does anyone have suggestions in what I should go or suggestions in general?? Thanks!!

• Tom Zig says:

Michael Pineda.

5th starter for the Mariners. Young guy (only 22 yrs old), electric arm. Pitches in safeco with a pretty good defense behind him. Won’t get you a ton of wins because of the deplorable offense, but worth taking a shot on.

24. brazilian fan says:

man just saw something that made me sad

Compared Jeter an Ripken in fangraphs (war), and the compared the two on baseball reference.

Ripken by a landslide.