May

Hughes out at least 6-8 more weeks

Phil Hughes is at least another six weeks away from rejoining the Yankees, and the young right-hander, battling shoulder inflammation, received a cortisone shot in his right shoulder, team officials revealed before tonight’s game. While the Yankees were very concerned that Hughes was suffering from thoracic outlet syndrome, the club has been more worried about Hughes’ right shoulder inflammation than they were letting on, and on April 28, they gave their number three starter an injection.

Hughes will now rest for two weeks before beginning a throwing program. If all goes according to plan, Hughes could rejoin the team in six weeks, but Brian Cashman said it could be at least another eight weeks until the starter is back on the mound in the Bronx. “Clearly he’ll have to build his arm strength up again, and that will be that true test if we’re through the woods,” the Yanks’ GM said. “Hopefully, this is just a bump in the road.” The club does not plan to send their pitcher for more tests right now, and hopefully, Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon can hold the fort in his absence.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. We’ll see you in August (at best), Phil. Mo-speed, but don’t hurry.

2011 is not as important as the rest of your career.

2. Tom Zig says:

Who comes back first

Phil Hughes
    Pedro Feliciano
    Damaso Marte

3. Thomas Cassidy says:

I’m afraid that Hughes will never become a valuable pitcher because of all of his injuries. I hope he comes back strong and try to get something for him this offseason because he scares me.

• Jorge says:

Out of all of his “injuries”, this is really the only one relevant to his long-term success as a pitcher. It’s really this one incident which brings up concern, and its not an unprecedented occurrence. My money’s on Phil being just fine in the end.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I don’t know. I hope he is fine. Even if he isn’t it’s okay for the Yankees I’d say. If they were to trade Hughes, what’s the best they could get for him? John Danks? I still wouldn’t do it. Maybe Hughes, Montero, and Betances for Josh Johnson. I can dream.

• Mister Delaware says:

You need to play the “what would the other team say” game.

• Maybe Hughes, Montero, and Betances for Josh Johnson. I can dream.

They might not do that even for a fully healthy Phil Hughes.

• Zack says:

Not sure we can discuss Hughes’ trade value before he actually pitches again. It’s zero right now, and it’s zero if he doesn’t show 90+ when/if he returns.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I don’t see what his problem is. I’m curious to know what can cause his lack of velocity. I think he’s just tired. He has never pitched that many innings in a year before. I just think he’s tired and needs a month or two to not throw a baseball. On the JJ trade, look at what Lee was traded for twice, Sabathia traded for, and then Halladay was traded for. The Yankees should give FLA Ivan Nova and Ramiro Pena.

• Gonzo says:

Check the years on the contracts when traded please.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I know what the year’s are. But what they got for those players were complete shit, and there is no way they couldn’t have found a better deal somewhere else.

4. Wandering Bear says:

Great news. Unfortunately even if he did come back we couldn’t hit for him.

5. Gonzo says:

I guess it made sense is that the team was more worried than the let on to be.

It might be just me, but I always feel like the team downplays injuries or concern.

6. NJYankeeFan says:

If he had a cortisone injection to his shoulder, he either had rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder bursitis, either of which could cause a dead arm feeling and sap velocity.
    Now that they’ve ruled out circulatory and/or neurological pathology, the steroid injection followed by some rest and then a strengthening program should do the trick.
    This is the most optimistic I’ve felt about Hughes in a few weeks.

7. Dino Velvet says:

did he ever see the specialist for thoracic outlet syndrome?

8. Gonzo says:

So is the diagnosis deader arm?

9. nick says:

“If all goes according to plan, Hughes could rejoin the team in six weeks, but Brian Cashman said it could be at least another eight weeks until the starter is back on the mound in the Bronx.”

just to clarify, it’ll be an additional eight weeks after the six weeks, so 14 weeks overall or am i mis-interpreting the sentence above??

10. Rob Thomsen's Chili Farts says:

If he pitches in 2011, what impact will the low amount have on his number of 2012 innings? Any?

• Thomas Cassidy says:

It will depend on how many innings he throws this year. If he throws 150 innings then he should be able to go 200+ next season, but I don’t see him coming back soon enough to throw 130 innings, let alone 150.

11. Blaise says:

From espn:

“Hughes has been on the disabled list since April 15 with a dislocated fastball” Where is his fastball indeed? He certainly seems to have misplaced, or “dislocated,” it.

12. Cuso says:

Jeter is headed to the DL as well.

It’s not official. But watching the replay of that swing in the 8th, it looks like he’s gonna miss a bit of time.

13. Dr. O says:

If not for actual doctors putting their names to these diagnosis’ I’d be convinced Cashman & Girardi were just frantically searching webmd “Uhhhhhh, lupus? Check if that could effect pitch velocity.”

14. BklynJT says:

This looks pretty bad on the Yankees…

If they had Hughes examined from the get go, instead of having him throw more after being “diagnosed” with dead arm (how does that even make sense???) they would have caught this inflammation early on and would have avoided the set back caused by the additional throwing program that they put him on.

15. jorge brosada says:

Ehh im not too worked up about Hughes, as long as he regains that oh so precious velo.

Big boy Bartolo can hold down the fort for a while

• Dr. O says:

god bless Tony Pena indeed. Even if Colon wears down as the season progresses that was a great signing. I don’t even want to think of how this season might be going without him.

16. Esteban says: