Sep

Betances may soon join Yankees

Via Jack Curry, there’s a chance that Dellin Betances may soon join the Yankees as a September call-up. Brian Cashman told Curry that he wanted to discuss it with Joe Girardi before making the move. Just last week we heard that Betances and Manny Banuelos would not be called up, mostly due to fastball command.

Because he’s already on the 40-man roster, adding Betances to the roster would be a simple call-up without any other maneuvering required. He just pitched last night (5 IP and 101 pitches), so he wouldn’t be a available for a few days anyway. The Yankees called up Andrew Brackman under similar circumstances last year, but he did not pitch. If anything, we’d probably see Betances for an inning or two of mop-up work, nothing too crazy. It would be fun to see him, though.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. JobaWockeeZ says:

Only in blowouts please but it would be nice seeing him too.

2. wilbo says:

would be nice to see him up! also with his string of recent positive outings and being on the 40-man as well, why not call up brackman to get his feet wet?

3. I would like to see the 3 Bs get a call up to be honest but that is just me being selfish.

4. Pants Lendelton says:

He’d probably get a few innings at most.

I’d like to see Brackman pitch a few innings in blow out situations as well this year.

5. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Sink or swim. Throw him into a high pressure situation right away.

Worked for Jesus.

/sarcasm

6. Cy Pettitte says:

I’d like to see Kontos, Brackman and Dellin get some innings.

7. Hardy says:

He might be called up next season to start a game. I see no reason why they shouldn’t call him up just to familiarize him with the big league club.

8. JobaWockeeZ says:

Bases loaded, 2 outs for the Jays vs Papelbon.

9. Jamey says:

I’d love to see him work a couple of innings, even if it goes bad I think it could really jumpstart his 2012 in Scranton.

10. SDM says:

This tells me that they are trying to get him as close to his 150 innings as possible so he can have a chance to be the 5th starter next year.

• Hardy says:

The rotation would be:

CC
      Hughes
      Nova
      Burnett
      Betances

I don’t think this is a scenario the Yankees have in mind.

• Steve S. says:

I’ll be shocked if he and Banuelos don’t start next year in AAA. Let them dominate Scranton (or wherever they’re playing next year, maybe SI) before you hand them a MLB job. Too much pressure to win up here, let them develop.

11. Steve S. says:

I want to see him come out of the bullpen sneering, snorting and staring the batter down. He wildly throws a fastball that just misses the batter’s nose, another that paints the black, and a wicked curve that puts him away. As the batter turns and walk back to the dugout, the YES cameras pick up the he wet his pants after the first pitch.

12. Gumbs gum says:

hope he farts on PEDroia as he K’s his short ass

13. Naved says:

Betances and Brackman both should be up here. Both are on the 40 man roster and the Yankees don’t have to make any moves. Just do it.