Sep

Team official: ‘Nova is going to get Game Two’

Via Tim Kurkjian (Insider req’d), a Yankees team official said that Ivan Nova will get the ball in Game Two of the ALDS, and they “can’t see [A.J. Burnett] getting a start.” Now, obviously this is not an official announcement or anything, it’s just Kurkjian talking to one of his sources, and we don’t know how much pull that source has within the organization. It certainly passes the sniff test though, Nova’s pitched well in the second half and neither Bartolo Colon nor Freddy Garcia has really stepped up of late.

For what it’s worth, Nova lines up almost perfectly for that start. Even if tonight’s game gets rained out (not likely, but possible given how it looks outside), he’s still be lined up by starting tomorrow.

Categories : Asides, Pitching, Playoffs

1. Jesse says:

I called this a month ago.
    Now I just hope I’m right with my Phil Hughes starting prediction.
    /Crossingfingers

2. Erica says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Joel says:

Superstition dictates that I say the following: “That’s great, but shouldn’t they get into the playoffs first?”

• Plank says:

I wouldn’t say it’s superstition, it’s more like staying focused on the task at hand. Granted, it is pretty near a lock that the Yankees make the playoffs, but still…

To be fair, also, this isn’t an official announcement from the team.

4. Monteroisdinero says:

What? The guy with 4 pitches gets the nod over the guy with the electric 55 foot curveball and wild pitch record?

5. Pat D says:

Yea, I’ve heard there’s rain potential the next few days.

Just what we need!!

6. Run Run Run says:

This is fine if they win game 1. Down 0-1 in a short series, not sure I want him starting. Would prefer Colon.

7. D-Rob's Great Escape says:

I’m fine with this he’s a ground ball guy in YS and he’s the only G2 starter option that hasn’t faded a little bit in the second half. The one thing I guess this would answer is CC will go game one meaning his Sox start will be on short rest so it will be on probaly a 70 pitch limit or something like a spring training tuneup game.

• JD says:

CC starting game 1 was decided when he signed here almost three years ago.

• D-Rob's Great Escape says:

Everyone was wondering about how they would line him up though. If he stayed on normal rest he wouldn’t be able to go G1 and some people said maybe they had some crazy strategy to keep him on normal restand have him matchup against a G2 starter which would be an easier win for NY, I’m just pointing out that CC is going to have to start in the regular season on short rest now. which honestly I wish he didn’t and they just lined him up for G1 like two weeks ago.

8. Jorge says:

Fine with me. He’s more than earned it. He may not be a name that makes people all fine in their tummy, but these are guys the team will ride into battle with come October. They were good enough to get them there.

9. Tiny Tim says:

Great decision. Nova will be more comfortable at home in October and we’re likely to have HFA until the WS. He’s also been the most consistent among Hughes, Freddy, and Colon. This is the right move.

You go with your best in game 2 ALWAYS, when you don’t you get beat like Joe did to us last year when he went Hughes over Andy in game 2. Andy only got to pitch once in last year’s ALCS as a result.

10. Jesse says:

Colon should start da second game cuz he’z exceeded expectations all season!!11!!!11!!!111!!

11. Ted Nelson says:

Wait, I thought they didn’t trust their prospects?

12. theyankeewarrior says:

I’m down with that. My real question is: What the hell are they doing with CC to get him ready? Hoch just tweeted that they want CC to start the night game tomorrow. That means he will be pitching on 2.75 days rest on the 25th to line him up for game 1.

Why wouldn’t they just start him in the day to get him 6 or 7 more hours of rest if he’s going to be starting short?

13. Jesus Freak says:

Way to go.

I didn’t think they had it in them, but they did.

14. Monteroisdinero says:

Of course we are always a “win it all this year” organization but having Nova pitch game 2 and Montero get significant post season playing time is a good thing for the future. 2 homegrown rookies. Me like.

Hopefully we can win it all AND have these guys get the experience and contribute.

15. FIPster Doofus says:

The offense better show up for Game 2 because Nova’s Yankee Stadium FIP is over 5.00 and his ERA (4.42) is solidly below average. He’s a far superior pitcher on the road (3.26 ERA, 3.18 FIP), which the posters in this thread and the Yankees themselves seem to be ignoring.

16. Dan2 says:

The only problem with Nova is his age. If he was ten years older with the same stuff, but on another team, we would clear the farm system to get him. This team has always loved old farts at the expense of youngsters

• steve (different one) says:

You don’t see the irony in posting this “observation” in response to a quote naming Nova the game 2 starter ahead of 3 older pitchers? Bizarre timing.

17. Jerome S. says:

Honestly, I’m not comfortable with any of the Yankees pitchers starting game two. Almost all of the non-CC pitchers in the rotation have stepped up at some point and had hot streaks, but overall none of them have maintained a season of being good enough for anyone to call them a “number 2″ starter.
    But we’ve won with it like this. I’m not worried. There’s nothing we can do about it anyway; we use the pitchers we have and win, das it.

18. BK2ATL says:

Happy for Nova, if this happens. It’s the right decision and no one’s earned it more. Glad to see a Yankee farmhand getting the chance to prove his worth in MLB FOR the Yanks. Hopefully, he can calm his nerves and stay composed and pitch as he has been since the recall from AAA.

What does this say about AJ Burnett? Off the postseason roster completely? Next year???

19. FIPster Doofus says:

Well, Nova did a great job at home tonight against a team with everything on the line. I guess I’ll shut my yap about his YS3 troubles. Good job, Nova.

20. M-Three says:

As for the pitching my starting rotation is CC, Nova, Colon and Garcia/Hughes. The other of Garcia/Hughes would be in the pen with Mo, D-Rob, Soriano, Logan, Wade and Noesi. I went with Noesi as the last guy so that we have more than one long guy to go with Garcia/Hughes.

Leave both A.J. and Ayala off the postseason roster. A.J. has pitch like crap this year. How can anyone argue for him at this point? The only thing that saved A.J. last year is that we had guy havung a much worst year in Vasquez. Plus, the inly reason A.J. is still in our rotation is because Girardi doesn”t have the guts to pull him out. As for Ayala, there is really no reason to bring him on the postseason roster. He is at the bottom of the pecking order of 1 inning relievers on the team and isn’t capable of pitching multiple innings. Plus, Ayala has been very overated this year. His era may be under 2 but thats only because he never gives up any of the base runners he allows on, just the ones he in inherits. The guys is nothing more than a mop-up guy or in other words another Sergio Mitre. As I said there is no real reason to put either A.J. or Ayala on the roster because they would just be taking a spot away from someone who can actually be useful in the playoffs.