Nov

Fan Confidence Poll: November 14th, 2011

2011 Record: 97-65 (855 RS, 657 RA, 102-60 pythag. record), won AL East, lost to Tigers in ALDS

Top stories from last week:

• Jorge Posada acknowledged that his Yankees career is over, though he is unsure if he still wants to play next season. “I will always be a Yankee,” said Posada. “The Yankees for me is my second family. It would be tough to put on another uniform for real and learn another set of rules and all that stuff, but that’s one of those things. I have to see if I want to keep playing.”
  • Brian Cashman told reporters that he’s been in contact with several other teams about pitching help, and also said that other clubs have inquired about the availability of his young catchers. The GM confirmed that Ivan Nova‘s strained flexor is 100% healed.
  • The Yankees held a private workout for 26-year-old Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, and they have their eye on two other Cuban players. Cashman has reached out to the agents for Mark Buehrle and Edwin Jackson.
  • Jonathan Papelbon fled the Red Sox and the AL East, agreeing to join the Phillies on a four-year contract.
  • Jesus Montero still plans to go home to Venezuela this winter despite the Wilson Ramos kidnapping.
  • The 2012 Spring Training schedule was released.

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Cris Pengiucci says:

Love those voting a 1 or a 2. How can you have such little confidence in a team that has a few superstars in their prime that are producing outstanding numbers over the past few years, others in their prime ehat have had some tough seasons, but can still turn it around (if they don’t they’re still putting up excellent numbers, just not ones in line with their contract) and superstars past their prime, that still add significant value? On top of that, they’ve got very deep pockets to fill in any holes in the roster and are looking to pick up more pitching, the biggest weakness on the team, that was near the top of the AL in stats last year. While they may not win the WS every year, they will ALWAYS compete for a playoff spot (at least as far as we can see into the future) and then it becomes a crap shoot for anyone that’s made it that far.

2. Bob Stone says:

My vote is 9 as usual.

I wish Montero would stay out of Venezuela. I know it’s his home but that place is just too dangerous no matter how careful he is.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Meh…I have confidence that they’ll make the right moves eventually, but I’m not quite sure the right moves will be available this offseason. I really hope Yu Darvish is posted, but it sounds like he might not get posted. At least they’ll go after Yoenis Cespedes.

• Joey time says:

I’m in Venezuela right now, and have been here for almost year now… Jersey resident originally…. I can tell you 100000% that this place is VERY VERY dangerous! Montero needs to stay in the USA from now on. I actually met Jesus at Trenton thunder when he was there and both his mother and father were also there to visit him, they told me and my Venezuelan wife that they had to move out of Caracas because after the yanks signed Montero as a teenager things got very dangerous. They were very nice people and i took pictures with them, it was a blessing and they even told me about the conditions here in venezuela. They want to move to the usa very bad, if they havent already.This country is a complete mess. I cannot wait to gtf out if here ASAP!

3. JohnC says:

Will here be an obligatory GM Meetings post?

4. Bronx Byte says:

The confidence poll will look better as soon as Cashman finds a taker for Burnett. He’s a clear cut waste of a roster spot.

5. ADam says:

9 – Two biggest needs met before off season already started, Add one more arm and solidify the bench and this off season will be a roaring success….

6. dean says:

9. The ship is heading in a hood direction. Yanks have as much organizational balance as they have had in years

7. Monteroisdinero says:

10 for the regular season.

We had a great season and will improve with Montero & Swish (in contract year), Tex and ARod both improving.

8 for the post season. We need to figure out how to get the big hit-how to get a hot hitter to carry us with a 10 day MVP run. That LaRussa-what a genius!

8. LarryM.,Fl. says:

I have a very solid 8 once again. The reason for an 8 is my expectation of an improved rotation. Until this aspect is settled no real increase in confidence can go higher. I would be perfectly happy with CC, Nova, Hughes, Burnett and Noesi and remain at 8. But aware of the shortfall of this team entering the playoffs because in my book you rarely can’t hit your way through the WS. Picking up Danks or Burhele as the second lefty in the rotation would enhance my confidence level to the plus side of 8. Securing bench players in addition to Nunez and going forward with a plan to rest the positional players such as Arod, Jeter, Tex., Martin and Swisher on a regular basis and less frequently Gardner, Curtis and Cano. Giving the fourth OF some more playing time will provide for better bench play from the backups. These guys can play but they need to get some play to be effective. This does not advocate sitting our positional players just to provide at bats. As I watched the games during year it was evident that rest was needed but not provided when the lineup cards were written by Girardi. Girardi does a excellent job in keeping the bullpen well rested and making excellent decisions on player selection but I believe he slips when resting the positional players.

• Dave B says:

I get your point about the rotation issues, but the positional players seem to have gotten a ton of rest this season. I think the heart of their lineup (Tex and ARod) had sub-par years than what we’ve seen in the past and it carried over to the postseason. I’m assuming, at least for Tex, that it was an aberration.

• LarryM.,Fl. says:

It seems to me that the offensive talent should not slump all at once. You can add Swisher with Arod and Tex. but we have seen it before haven’t we. The one and out series. That’s why I pin it on fatigue.

9. Jimmy McNulty says:

Rotation needs work, Cashman needs to make his rounds at the scrap heap, and they need to figure out what they want to do with Andruw. Maybe try to dump Burnett if there’s a good fit for a trade. Otherwise, they’ll need Jeter to continue his post-DL romp and A-Rod to be something close to A-Rod.

10. Doug says:

Can we re-vote now that Kemp is about to sign long-term with the Dodgers?