Dec

Report: Indians, others have interest in Swisher

Via Ken Rosenthal, the Indians are one of several clubs with interest in trading for Nick Swisher. The Tribe is apparently in the hunt for Carlos Beltran, and they see Swisher as a backup plan. Sounds great in theory, but Cleveland has little to offer the Yankees. Justin Masterson isn’t happening, and Fausto Carmona isn’t an upgrade over what they already have in their rotation. He probably isn’t even available anyway.

Josh Willingham is a very similar player to Swisher as Joe wrote last week, and last year he got traded for two Grade-B prospects when he had one year left before free agency like Swisher does now. Hard to see how that would help the Yankees more than their current right fielder in 2012. The Indians are just doing their due diligence more than anything, but it’s really tough to find a trade match involving Swisher that makes sense for both sides.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

Not a fan of creating a hole in RF for shits and giggles when there’s other stuff to look into, unless those other holes would get filled by people whose names rhyme with “Bustin Jazzterson.”

You could just put a PC locked onto YouTube in RF, I guess. ;)

2. excel nerd says:

but but he performs in the regular season.

3. pat says:

Swish for Choo!!!!!!!!!!

4. Thomas Cassidy says:

Someone on MLBTR actually suggested a Swisher-Carmona swap. My God. Swisher isn’t going anywhere. Although, I would be curious if they could land him along with Romine/Sanchez for Matt Cain. Probably not.

5. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

Just a hypothetical, not saying it makes sense for either party. But who would sign up for parting with Swisher + Banuelos for Masterson?

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Not me. Banuelos’ ceiling seems to be higher than Masterson. Plus he’s left-handed, younger, cheaper, and under control. Swisher for Masterson, sign me up. I wouldn’t even do Banuelos for Masterson.

There are very few players I’d trade Banuelos for. Lee, Lester, Felix, Lincecum, Verlander, Kershaw, Shields, Hamels, etc. Players like that.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

I’m not sure if I’d value Banuelos as high as you do, but I’d think twice as to him being the piece as well. It’s enticing, though, more than I thought it would be.

• Craig Maduro says:

No thanks. I like Masterson, but his platoon splits concern me too much to deal Banuelos.

• JU says:

Nah, I haven’t seen enough of a track record with Masterson as a SP to part with Manny – but I’ll admit, Im biased. I wonder if Swisher and Betances would be realistic? I’d like to make a Swisher + Noesi trade, though, but that would require blindfolding the Indians, or blackmail.

• thenamestsam says:

As opposed to ManBan’s long and distinguished track record?

• JU says:

I said I was biased, didn’t I

• Ted Nelson says:

I think that there’s a good chance Masterson just had a career year, or at least one of his best… And that the Indians would ask for compensation assuming it’s going to be the norm going forward. Certainly could work out and Manny might never be nearly as good, but my guess is he’s overvalued right now and the two sides wouldn’t come to terms.

• Behind Enemy Lines says:

Have you been smoking your product?

6. Thomas Cassidy says:

In other (unrelated) news, Gio was sent to the Nationals. That divison is starting to look pretty good.

• Craig Maduro says:

Interesting. I don’t mind seeing him out of the AL. The Yanks have handled him, but it will be nice not having to face him if/when he puts everything together. Despite all the hype, the Marlins are still looking like the fourth best team in that division.

The Yankees have been the eye of the hurricane these past two off-seasons, huh?

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I think the Marlins have been overrated this offseason. Reyes can’t stay healthy, and Bell isn’t as good as his number suggest, although 9M a year for him is not bad.

The Nationals have a very good rotation. A great one if Wang stays healthy. I hope the best for Wang, sucks to see him on another team. Especially when we’re stuck with Burnett.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

I’d rather them go silent than get squeezed, and everyone loves to try to squeeze the Yankees. Eye of the hurricane indeed, though.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

It’s very annoying. You want Cliff Lee? Give us everything. Oh, we traded him to Texas for nothing.

You want Santana? Hughes, Cano, Kennedy, Melky, Jeter, A-Rod, Posada, and Rivera. Oh, we traded him to the Mets for nothing.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

With you on Lee, although I very much look forward to a whole lot of Montero for a whole lot of years. Santana was a bullet dodged and a bigger part of a much better Cashman plan.

The Yankees will always laugh last. It just may not be at the moment some fans want them to laugh but, oh, they will laugh last.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I look forward to Montero, too. And to be honest, I wouldn’t give him up for Lee right now either, or I’d have to think hard about it at least.

They did dodge that bullet, but it’s ridiculous what teams ask for from the Yankees. Look at the Orioles. They’re so stupid they wouldn’t give up Brian Matusz for Montero and Banuelos if we offered (because it’s not enough, and the O’s won’t trade to us).

• Craig Maduro says:

Yea, sometimes the best moves are the ones that aren’t made.

7. J. Scott says:

I think there’s a presumption that a trade of Swisher would mean the Yankees have signed/locked-up Cespedes and believe he’s close to being Major League ready.

• Urban says:

I don’t see the Yankees signing Cespedes. Too much money, too much unknown. They would not turn over RF to a guy who has been playing in the equivalent of A-Ball.

8. Jesse says:

Masterson or bust for Swisher. Yes I’m that greedy.

9. MattG says:

I really like Swisher. I am a huge fan.

But, depending on the exchange, I might endorse Seth Smith (reportedly available) as Swish’s replacement in RF.

Again, I stress, in depends on the exchange. Smith seems to be better than people think, while Swisher gets full props for what he does well. If the Yankees were to get equal value for Swisher, and Smith on the cheap, this looks like a net gain to me. Plus, they would save > $7M on the swap, which could help in wooing Kuroda.

10. Urban says:

I’m a big fan of Shin-Soo Choo and would love to see his strong arm in RF, and his lefty bat at the Stadium. He has two years remaining before being a free agent and is a year younger than Swish, and is cheaper than Swish, which means a straight-up swap is pointless, but perhaps a package deal can be worked out. That, of course, gets back to the main issue of trying to figure out a deal that makes sense for both sides.

Also, I understand the Willingham comparisons to Swisher, but it’s nto a strong one. He’s a poor-man’s Swish. Doesn’t play anywhere near as much; is a much, much worse fielder, a tick lower as a hitter. Nearly a three-win difference between the two over the past two seasons.

• game watcher says:

Go watch the playoffs and then tell me about how good he is.

• JAG says:

Yeah, Willingham sure has a long track record of playing well for successful teams in the playoffs.

Oh, wait, no, he’s played for the Marlins ’04 to ’08, the Nats ’09 to ’10, and the A’s last year, and none of those teams sniffed the playoffs. Hmm.

11. CJ says:

Is swish being shopped? Hey does Cleveland consider him a plan b? There is no match there, keep it moving. Swish for Carmona would be an all time terrible deal, bad enough to negate betemit.

12. Hornets686 says:

Swisher, Betances,Phelps, and Warren for Cain.

13. Ted Nelson says:

“Josh Willingham is a very similar player to Swisher”

Why do you guys persist with this meme? He’s not similar. He’s about 1/2-2/3 as valuable.

14. MannyGeee says:

Wonder if they like Swish enough to make him the centerpiece in a Jminez deal?

/UbaldoisthenewKingFelix’d

15. James says:

Swisher, Banuelos, Noesi for Masterson

16. Kosmo says:

Swisher and AJ ( of course eating a huge portion of his contract)to the Indians for Cord Phelps, Jeanmar Gomez and Nick Hagadone.

17. Dave says:

Swisher, montero and Warren for the freak. What do you think?