Mar

SWB Yankees to be renamed Empire State Yankees for 2012

Via Mike Ashmore, the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees will be renamed the Empire State Yankees for the 2012 season. The club will play all of its home games on the road this summer because of extensive renovations to PNC Field, including 60 games throughout New York. The new logos can be seen here and here, and will be featured on the team’s caps this season. They’ll go back to being the SWB Yanks in 2013. Pretty neat, guess I have to buy a hat while they’re available.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I thought all the minor league teams were going to have to come up with another nickname besides the Yankees?

2. Craig says:

Surely I wasn’t the only one that thought of this:

3. Tony says:

where can you buy a hat with this logo?

4. Joe says:

@Tony redwingsbaseball.com they are actually cheap compared to most at $26.99 neat looking too they are a little different similar to SI. Bought myself both already!

5. Tyrone Sharpton says:

WOW THAT’S like the yankees playing at fenway and calling it home. what is the mets problem

6. RetroRob says:

Perhaps they should be called the Port Ruppert Yankees, in honor of Philip Roth’s story of the first permanent road team.

7. Plank says:

The name is awesome. I hate the bat and hat logo though. I always have.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the team unveils a new logo and name next year when they are in their new stadium. I bet it will be something like Red Barons. Navy Barons? Blue Barons?

8. Joseph Cecala says:

So original and creative…

9. How about them Blue Wahoos