Apr

Pettitte goes 5+ innings in Double-A start

Update (9:58pm): A quote from Andy, courtesy of Mike Ashmore: “I don’t feel like the strength is there yet when I want to hump up and get a little more on my fastball like I’d like to … It was another step in the right direction. I was a little disappointing with my command tonight. I feel like I made a few more mistakes than I had been making, but all in all, that was a good step forward.”

8:41pm: Andy Pettitte allowed three runs (two earned) across five innings in his latest minor league tune-up start with Double-A Trenton tonight, leaving the game after allowing a single to leadoff the sixth. He struck out three and walked just one, and Twitter told me there was some shoddy defense behind him. Pettitte threw 59 of 81 pitches for strikes (72.8%) and was sitting right around his usual 88 mph with the fastball.

Andy’s return became that much more important following the new’s of Michael Pineda‘s injury, but he’s still going to need at least two more tune-up starts before helping the big league team. The Yankees have said they want him to throw 100 pitchers in the minors twice before joining the rotation.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. forensic says:

4 runs, 3 earned, and 7 hits.

2. Clyde Barrow says:

He’s our only insurance policy for Hughes and Freddy. If we got the whole year with those two in our rotation we’ll be lucky to compete for the 2nd wildcard.

3. RetroRob says:

If he was sitting around 88 on his fastball, then that would be very good in the early going. His fastball averaged 89 his last four seasons.

Velocity with a lefty like Pettitte is not critical, but if he was only throwing 84 I’d be concerned.

4. Clyde Barrow says:

Hell, Hughes is throwing 88 mph right down the middle to Beltre and he’s only 25 years old. Hughes is done in the rotation as far as I’m concerned. Freddy has one more chance.

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

Help us, Obi Wan Ken….andy.

6. The Scheister of Doom says:

Pettitte goes 5+ innings in Double-A start

One of the things Hughes couldn’t do right now. I’d love to see Philly boy demoted for Pettitte for the next start. Shit, 90 pitches from a 80-90% Andy would be a welcome sight and most probably more effective than Phil. While we’re at it, Phelps for Garcia’s spot too.

7. Frank says:

It was only yesterday that Pettitte seemed like excess luxury. Now he’s a precious necessity.

8. pistol pete says:

Hughes is done as a starter he’s been awful for over a year now and it’s time to stop making excuses for him. Beyind an inning maybe two he’s done, toast. Middle relief at best he’s killing the Yankees and destroying the pen every time he pitches. Hoping Freddy gets his act together they’re going to need both he and Andy.

9. Plank says:

Mike,

Can you do a poll to see if people think Pettitte will come back?

-Won’t make it to the majors
    -Makes it but sucks
    -Makes it and pitches well

I vote the first one.

10. pistol pete says:

Phelps hung in there when the game could have gotten away from him. Need the offense to get rolling now, still in this one.

11. PBfog says:

Was at the game tonight. Excited to see Andy getting closer! Most certainly was bad defense all night.

12. DannyC says:

Cashman must go, he has been here too long, for every swisher and granderson there is a igawa and burnett and pavano and now this disaster that we know as michael pineda. I know hes big and had a great first half but did cashman do any research on him? Why didnt they know he has a piss poor attitude and work ethic, why didnt red flags get raised at his second half. Its time for a change.

13. BDunne says:

I was at the game, the defense behind him was terrible. The run he gave up in the first was due to weak miss at 3B, which really should have been an E5. A few innings later the first baseman misplayed an easy hopper that Tex totally would have had (not necessarily an error, though), which could have been a double play ball but instead led to another run later in the inning.

That said, they were hitting Andy pretty hard too. A lot of long flyouts. Cashman was apparently in Trenton, and said he agreed Pettitte is “not all there yet” and will need “a few more starts.” Guess I’ll be spending some more time at Waterfront Park!