Jul

Heyman: Yankees have checked in on Denard Span

Via Jon Heyman, the Yankees have checked in with the Twins about the availability of Denard Span. Minnesota is unsurprisingly “asking for a ton.” The Yankees will be without Brett Gardner for the rest of the season and Nick Swisher recently went down with a left hip flexor, so the outfield is thin. Heyman reiterated that New York looked into both Shane Victorino and Justin Upton, which is old news.

Span, 28, is a very similar player to Gardner. He’s a left-handed swinger, doesn’t have any power (career .102 ISO), draws walks (career 9.8 BB%), and is a true center fielder with above average defense. Gardner will steal about twice as many bases and is probably better with the glove, but Span will put the ball in play more often (career 12.2 K%). He’s also signed very reasonably — the Twins owe him just $11.25M through 2014 with a $9M club option for 2015. Span would be a great replacement for Gardner this year but replacing Nick Swisher next year? Eh, they’d be lucky to get ten combined homers out of two outfield spots.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. JU says:

That last question u asked, Mike, is what I wanna know. And to b honest I don’t know why they are looking to replace Gardne with a Gardner clone. They should be looking to acquire someone to replace Swisher next yr. But per usual there is rarely a decision made with any consideration for the future. Unless they intend to trade Gardner in the offseason which I wouldn’t be surprised by.

2. Bavarian Yankee says:

I wonder if the Yanks acquire a speedy like Span for this season and then trade him again (or Gardner) in the offseason for somebody with more power.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

…or even go into next season with both Gardner and Span in the OF and make a move during the season, maybe at the ’13 Trade deadline, if necessary.

3. Frank says:

I love Span. I believe he hits for way more power away from Target Field and playing 82 games at YS.

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

I agree. I also love span.. I’ve seen one of spans HR’s this yr, and it was a freaking bomb in minny.. I think he easily hits double digit hr’s in NY. He’s a 357BA postseason hitter as well, for what thats worth(28AB’s).

I don’t know if i’d give up a ton to get em, but i’d certainly have no problem making a reasonable offer to the twinkies..

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I like Span too, but his power isn’t going to change significantly just because he’s playing YS. His power comes from his XBHs, and his splits from the last two seasons show that he performs better offensively in Target Field. I wouldn’t mind getting Span, but let’s not pretend like he’ll make up for lost power by moving to YS.

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

Ya, Guys never pickup there power when leaving big ballparks, ala Curtis Granderson, whos gonna set career high marks for HR’s in back to back seasons in Yankee stadium, and to be honest, i don’t even think Gardner would hit but maybe 1-2 hr’s a yr if not for yankee stadium.. SPan has more pop then Brett Gardner.. Hes all ready had yrs of 8 and 6hrs, so its definetly not outta the realm of possiblity that span hit 10hrs as a yankee.. I’d be more surprised if he didn’t.. I’ve seen quite a few smacks by span to RF on a line that would of snuck out at yankee stadium by about 3rows.. Just saying.. Hes a line drive hitter, and some of those line drives are off that high wall in RF in Minny, that would be gone in NY

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Granderson has never had less than 19 HRs in a full season while 8 HRs is Span’s career high. Great comparison.

/as much sarcasm as humanly possible

Yeah, Span will hit a few more HRs because of the short porch, but a career .380 slugger is not going to make up for the .470 slugging lost by a Nick Swisher next season, which was the point I was originally trying to make. As a rental for the rest of the season, yes, I like him, but I wouldn’t feel 100% comfortable letting Swish walk because we have Span.

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

Granderson had no less then 19, and jumped to 40plus regularly?lol Its a big stadium in Det as it is in Minnesota.. I’m not saying Span is gonna hit 20hrs, but id almost gurantee he jumps to double digits.. I’ve seen the guy hit at least a handful of balls that would of been out in Yankee stadium at Minny all ready,and i don’t even watch a super lot of minny games(i bet so i watch alot of baseball)..

Just like when Chuck Knoblauch came over here, and decide to pop some balls opposite field over short porch.. It’s the exact same idea.. The diffrence is, Span is a LH hitter and all ready has a nice line drive swing, and with any carry at all, will get a few cheapy HR’s in Yank Stadium…

• Ghost of Joe Dugan says:

Very little of what you have said is actually true.

Granderson did not set career highs in HR’s in back to back seasons. He MIGHT this year if he hits 42.

Granderson has hit 40 hr’s once, how is that, “regularly”?

• Tremont says:

Span has 12 career road homers in 1294 career road plate appearances. It’s tough to say he is a victim of his home park.

• RetroRob says:

Granderson hit 30 HRs his last year in Detroit, with 20 of them coming on the road. He has a power swing. He was projected to hit 35-40 HRs playing half his games in Yankee Stadium. He did. He’s on pace to do it again.

What this has to do with Span I don’t know.

4. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

We got enough power.. I mean, we need more guys who can “hit” then we do power.. WHo cares if a couple guys in the OF don’t hit for power? We got Granderson, Tex, Cano, Alex(??lol), A.Jones, Chavez, Ibanez,Martin, that can hit the ball out.. I’m more worried about finding a guy that can hit some.. Thats what we need, more then power.. I’d certainly sign up for a better hitter and less power on this team, and that goes for the last few yrs…

• viridiana says:

I’m with you, NYC. Could use more speed and contact. Lots of power already. Not sure what I’d give for Span, though. Seems to me Yanks best chance of making a deal is essentially a salary dump. With so many teams in WC hunt, general avidity for prospects and the increased value of prospects for the Yanks with new CBA, seem like that’s the only reasonable way they’ll get someone who can help in OF. Perhaps some sellers will surface right at the deadline.

• Ted Nelson says:

I agree that power isn’t really the concern. No reason to isolate one skill. It’s just about overall production. If you don’t hit for power, but are always on base, steal a lot of bases at a high %, and play great defense… it’s very possible to be a lot more valuable than someone who hits for power but isn’t as strong in those other areas.

As the same time, Span just isn’t that great overall. He’s good, especially if you can plug him in CF. He just doesn’t do enough other things to be all that valuable by Yankee starter standards. Maybe there are legit arguments that Minni is telling him not to steal bases and he’d be able to steal 50 bases given the chance or that he hits a lot of warning track shots to RF that would be HRs in YS… I have no idea. Or maybe the Yankees see something on tape to suggest he can get back to his 2008-9 self with a change of scenary. Otherwise, I’d be ok with him but would really be looking for better.

• Tremont says:

Can he really hit though? It seems to me that his hitting (as measure by batting average) is merely decent.

5. Smart Guy says:

remember that span for hughes rumor?

• viridiana says:

I can see trading Hughes. But a likely 15-17 game winner should bring back a lot more than Span. And guaranteed– if Yanks trade Hughes they’ll be scrambing again for pitching this year or next. Always seem like Yanks devalue their own assets when they desperately consider trades.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t know how much more than Span Hughes would bring back.

What are some examples of the Yankees devalueing their own assets and making desperate trades? I would say they do about the opposite.

• jjyank says:

Hughes is also a free agent after 2013. I think viridiana might be overvaluing Hughes.

Also, it was just a few short months ago many of us here were ready to throw Phil back in the bullpen. He needs to do this for awhile longer before he has significant trade value, IMO.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s going to be the usual suspects. You know it and I know it.

• viridiana says:

Well, many of the most salient examples go back years. Willie McGee for Bob Sykes, Buhner for Phelps, Drabek for an agin Rhoden. But there are also recent examples. Certainly, Tyler Clippard for Addulwhatever. Though he was always somewhat controversial, many Yankee farm followers thought Clippard would be quite good, as he turned out to be. Also, Melancn for Berkman. Also, letting Aceves go for nothing. Also, two trades for Javier Vazquez. Also, giving way Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnall. And how about dumping Ted Lilly for Weaver?
          The Granderson/Lackson/Kennedy trade can be debated. Yanks certainly got great value in Grandy, though some might say they paid too pretty a penny. I don’t know.
          All that said, I would add that Yanks have certainly done better in recent years. And Cash deserves lots of credit for a more patient approach, and and for resisting rival GMs who got used to George’s panicky moves. Still, Yanks have paid too heavily (especially in deals for pitching) a number of times.
          But I would say the issue is almost more with those fans who are willing to trade bundles of prospects on the bogus conclujsion that “most prospects fail.” That is sheer nonsense. Yes, lots of players who at one tme or another have promise never fulfill it. BUt for the most part, players identified as especially promising do not fail. Yes, there are the Ruben Riveras. But they are outnumbered by the Bernies, Jeters, Pettittes, Posadas, Canos,etc. etc. And pposition players are far less likely to disappoint. Hence, I would not devalue our A-ball guys, especially since the new CBA will make it harder to find guys who buck the odds of low draft picks, draft budgets etc that Yanks will face.

Robinson Tilapia says:
            July 22, 2012 at 11:37 am

It’s going to be the usual suspects. You know it and I know it.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t see the logic in bringing up moves made by different regimes. These guys didn’t make them.

No person or org is going to correctly value every prospect. Way too much variability. It’s like looking for a brokerage firm that has never lost $ on a single security. Not possible.

That you may not be right every time doesn’t mean you just hold everyone in your org. You’ll have hits and misses. If your decision making process is sound the hits should outweigh the misses.

• viridiana says:

Well,Ted, if no person is going to make the right decison every time why did you ask for examples of poor decisions. I gave you nearly ten from Yankee decision makers including Cashman and then you smugly dismiss them saying you can’t hold on to everyone. Whoever suggested that you should?

It would really be nice, Ted, if instead of lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce on posters with half-baked seemingly logical (but inherently flawed) put-downs, that you just kind of sat back and enjoyed the different wiews of people on the blog. You seem to want to control it but IMO lack the insight to assert yourself over the interesting views of so many other posters.

• RetroRob says:

The moves the Yankees made in the 1980s have little to do with what’s happening today. That was the absolute low point in the Steinbrenner regime, leading to the collapse of the on-field team in the early 90s. Yet in baseball, good can come out of bad, and I’m sure I don’t need to tell you what good came out of that bad.

The Yankees have had prospects fail, including the Rueben Rivera’s and Hensley “Bam Bam” Meulens types. It happens to all teams. They’ve also developed some excellent players who as prospects originally were rated from the very good, like Bernie Williams, to the good, Andy Pettitte, to the marginal non-rated prospect in Jorge Posada, to the non-prospect in Mariano Rivera. Derek Jeter was in a rare class in that he was considered a a great prospect from the start, and has now become one of the greatest all-time Yankees, but let’s not lose track of how they got him. They sucked leading to having one of the top picks in country. That Yankees for two years in a row had one of the top picks in the country. One — Taylor — failed due to an injury, and the other, Jeter, is headed to Cooperstown. All teams would be happy with that type of success ratio. Be thankful that the Yankees were able to get a player like Jeter, but also be thankfuly they don’t have the opportunity that often to get a player like Jeter, because that means they’re terrible.

Questioning trading Lilly for Weaver, or acquiring Vazquez years later is odd. Both were young pitchers, with Vazquez regarded as one of the best in the game. Tyler Clippard? Really? You’re upset about Tyler Clippard. Fungible. The good thing about having players like that is they can ge packaged and traded for part down the stretch. Fans unfortunately rarely see the bigger picture. They somehow want to hold onto every prospect and drain every WAR point from them, or if they’re traded they want them to fail horribly. They don’t care if trading Austin Jackson and IPK brought them a 40-HR hitting lefty CFer they needed. They demand that the Yankees hold onto those players while still acquiring the 40-HR hitting CFer.

Adam Warren, David Phelps and DJ Mitchell can not all remain on the Yankees. Maybe one will. The others will be traded and will contribute to other teams. You’re going to have to deal with that. The Yankees have three gusy in the minors who can all play second in CoJo, Pirela and Adams. I bet everyone of these guys eventually plays in the majors. Most will not contribute to the Yankees and there’s only so much value they can get for them. Maybe one of them goes in a deal for Victorino, who will have a three-month Yankee career. That’s okay.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s all about perception. If you believe, in your heart of hearts, that Phil Hughes is an average pitcher on a hot streak who will fall back to earth soon, well, I guess it’d be time to sell high.

If you believe that what you are seeing is a pitcher two years removed from overuse showing you the potential he always had and righting the ship, you’re having a different conversation right now. While he certainly tested my patience as much as anyone earlier this season, I fall in this camp.

Trading Hughes would have to be part of a much, much bigger picture than bringing Denard Span in for the stretch run seems to indicate at face value.

At this point, I’m more willing to take the risk of being left holding the bag if his performance goes downward again.

6. blake says:

Cafardo suggested the Yanks could ask about Alex Gordon….he’s pretty much Gardner that can hit and is on an affordable contract and mashes RHP. Great fit but they’d probably ask a lot….probably would demand either Hughes or Nova

• jjyank says:

It would probably be Nova and a couple good prospects. Hughes is too close to free agency. I like Gordon a lot, but he’s going to cost.

7. AC says:

Not a fan of Span at all. It’s not bc he doesn’t hit HRS either. I’m sure the right field porch will help with his totals but he’s more of a contact hitter. I’d rather them takes chance on Ankiel or another person that is DFA. Look at aquiring soneone in offseason. Minnesota asking a ton for Span. I can’t see Xash giving a haul bc he has to have Span

8. DM says:

I think the better question is how can you replace Swisher’s production without hurting your wallet in 2014. Some aspect will need to change if their budget concerns are real. Maybe a cheaper, speed/defense OF will be the way to cut costs. It would be challenging to replace Swisher without paying someone beyond 2013.

9. Jeff says:

Why is there no interest on the Yankees part for Juan Pierre? Having a great season in Philly and would be a great, cheap addition at a bargain. Good clubhouse guy too. I don’t understand why we wouldn’t be all over him…

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

his Arm in the outfield is almost laughable, and hes older, and its not ideal giving up assets for a older player, who probably isn’t in ur future plans.. Span on the other hand is only 28yrs old, and could possibly be around for awhile..

• jjyank says:

All Pierre can do is run. Even with that, he’s not a good fielder. He’s having a nice year in Philly, but we’re talking about a guy that’s posted wRC+’s over 100 just twice since 2005. And even then, just barely (107 in 2009, and 103 this year). I have a feeling that he wouldn’t be worth what Philly is asking, unless Philly is asking for a bag of balls.

• Ted Nelson says:

He’s had a good offensive season so far, but based on his recent track record he might not sustain that.

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

I seen a throw by Pierre the other day that i swear, my 10yr old niece would of made 100pct better..lol His arm is seriously laughable.. I know, that isn’t the only thing that matters, but it really stuck out to me, as something that is gonna hurt ur team at some point, and possibly in crucial situation.. Also, hes only hitting 256in July, so we could of missed his hot streak, as he seemed to be trending downward the past several seasons.. Another words, i agree, i wonder if he’ll continue downward trend as the season continues..

10. Marcy says:

So, I guess nobody likes Gerardo Parra who is VERY unhappy in AZ after winning a gold glove last year, is a base stealer, gets on base and would be a rental and therefore shouldn’t cost too much.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Like this better than Span since the cost should be much less. I can’t see giving up valuable trade commodities for a corner outfielder with minimal power like Span.

• JohnnyC says:

Base stealer? He has 32 total SBs in his career and has been thrown out 30% of his attempts. Rental? He’s 4 years away from free agency and is making $500,000. He’s a slick fielding 4th OFer. Not much of an upgrade over Chris Dickerson.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

He’s a slightly better than average league hitter as seen in his wRC+ of 109 and 103 the last 2 years who Is excellent defensively and has stolen 26 SBs out of his last 32 attempts.

He’s also been worth 1.9 WAR this year which is more than Swisher at 1.7 and Ibanez/Jones combined at 1.5.

He may not be great but he’s certainly far superior to a AAAA player like Dickerson and could certainly help the Yankees

11. Marcy says:

X. Nady was also DFA’d

• Robinson Tilapia says:

How was he doing? Is there anything left there?

• jjyank says:

Not at all. Since he left the Yankees, these are his wRC+’s: 74, 70, and 24 this year.

• Marcy says:

He had a wrist injury – wasn’t doing great (don’t know if injury was the reason) but they released him as soon as he came of the DL. I guess, because DeRosa started to hit he became expendable.
        I only mentioned him because he can also play 1st base if Swish is down and Tex needs a day off. They would need to check his wrist out of course.

12. tony says:

Can someone please explain to me why the luxury tax is now a huge concern for the Yanks. What new disadvantages come from this new Collective Bargaining Agreement than before.

13. Ted Nelson says:

With his contract and ability to play CF he should be pretty liquid. It shouldn’t be too hard to turn around and trade him in the off-season or next season (if there are lingering questions about Gardner’s long-term health).

I don’t see any harm in kicking the tires. Might get a reasonable price from Minnesota, turn around and get a bit more back later. Or just keep him around if that’s in the team’s best interest.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, I agree. I think Span could fill in very well for Gardner this season, and if the Yankees are concerned about a lack of power in the outfield, they could flip him elsewhere in the offseason.

I’m in favor of a trade for Span, provided that the cost isn’t prohibitive. Which it probably is.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, cost will probably be too high. Not only can Minni just hang on to him, but other teams might pay more since he’s a CF for them.

• jjyank says:

Right. I would imagine the Yanks would want to pay a corner outfielder price (since that’s where he would be playing), while other teams might pony up for a center fielder price. Of course this is all just my own speculation, but this logic makes sense to me.

• DM says:

I’d inquire on DeJesus. He has a better contract and gives you something similar to Span — but there’s no current rumors about him and the Yankees yet. Although there’s no rumors about the Cubs “asking a ton” for him either. He’s played mostly RF this year but he can play CF as well.

14. mustang says:

“Span would be a great replacement for Gardner this year but replacing Nick Swisher next year? Eh, they’d be lucky to get ten combined homers out of two outfield spots.”

Question: If they are getting outfield type offend production from Cano do they really need a Swisher type?

Basically what I’m saying is that Cano produces like an outfielder while Span produces like a second basement doesn’t that even things out.

I think the Yankees offend can make-up the differences between Swisher and Span especially if it means keeping Cano long term.

• mustang says:

Plus how helpful would it be for the pitching staff to have an outfield of Gardner, Span and Granderson.

• jjyank says:

Who plays right field? I don’t know anything about Span’s arm, but if it’s like the other two, I’m not sure I’m comfortable with that.

• yooboo says:

Well, RF still has Cano in a relay.

• mustang says:

Found this:
          “Dugout Digest: Worst OF Arm | June | 2011 Articles
          Jun 9, 2011 … According to UZR, Raul Ibanez has the worst arm, followed by Kosuke … Ryan
          Braun, Seth Smith, Carlos Quentin, Gardner, and Denard Span.”

So you may have a point.

• Ted Nelson says:

But the goal isn’t really to just get enough production. It’s to get as much production as possible within your budget constraints, discounting future production at whatever you consider to be an applicable rate.

Technically they could even out an inferior player with Cano (as they basically are already at C and LF), but as a huge payroll team (even at $189 million) they probably don’t have to settle for “good enough.” Might end up being their best option, but I think they can find better medium-term.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This.

• Tremont says:

Ted is correct. I think people think of baseball like they think of basketball or football. In those sports, there are severe diminishing returns when you add more offensive talents to a team stacked with offensive talents. They even can even get in each other’s way and cause problems. In baseball, there are 9 batters and everybody (more or less) has an equal chance to impact the game offensively in a given game. You can’t have your stars take all the big at bats, like in basketball they take all the big shots. You never know when you need the #8 hitter to get the big hit in a given game. Besides, Cano being a great hitting 2b doesn’t mean he’s always going to “make up” for that right field spot. When he struggles for a stretch, that advantage is lost.

15. tony says:

Not to mention Yankee stadium is like a backyard compared to target field. I wouldn’t be surprised if span hit 10 by himself.

• mustang says:

Another good point.

I just think Span would make them a little more rounded.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t understand this concept. What is Span going to do to make them “more rounded?” And why is that a good thing if the overall production is lower?

His OBP isn’t bad, but it’s also not that good. Maybe he doesn’t have a green light or something, but he has fewer SBs than A-Rod.

I think Span would be better than Ibanez, if costs were comparable relative to production / in-line with production, despite not having as much power. Because Ibanez isn’t good. I think there’s a good chance of finding better production at a comparable price, though, going forward.

• mustang says:

I can see your argument, but you lost me at “I think there’s a good chance of finding better production at a comparable price, though, going forward”.

There is a reason why the Twins are asking so much for Span and might actually get it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Another team is going to value a guy like Span more than the Yankees, who have a very similar player to him on the DL. His value to the Yankees becomes much, much less when Brett Gardner is healthy.

This is either exactly what Ted is saying, or a slight remix of it.

• Tremont says:

Other teams will be looking for a CF, where he can provide value. He is pretty replaceable in a corner.

16. jjyank says:

I can already hear Sterling’s home run call.

“High and deep to right field…that ball is….GONE! Spick and Span, he cleaned up that plate!”

17. yooboo says:

Span is an overpriced mediocre player whose contract will be problematic for 14-16 plan. Unless Twins absorb 70 percentage of his contract, PASS.

• Ted Nelson says:

He’s somewhat mediocre, but I would say he’s very cheap and if anything could help with the plan. His contract according to baseball-reference is a 5 year/16.5 million deal. So he’s counting just over $3 million towards the $189 million for 2014.

• yooboo says:

Click on details. If we only focus on money only then it is cheap. However, he will be owed 6.5m as 30 years old without power and arm strength to play RF in 14 season. 9m players’ option via trade as 31 years old in 15 season as it will be pretty sure he wont take 500k buyout against playing sparingly for 9m.

Should Yanks have Span as RF without power for 9m? I don’t think so. 70 percentage or nothing.

18. Robinson Tilapia says:

This is where I don’t understand 54 comments, and fights breaking out, over Rick F’ing Ankiel on here. If the Yankees are looking at potential LF upgrades for the stretch run, they should be kicking the tires on anything and everything, from Ankiel to Stanton (if either of those were even true.) It’s how I’d expect them to evaluate what the market is out there.

I’ll give the cop-out answer on Span: The price would have to be right. I’m not giving up premium talent unless it’s part of a much bigger plan than finding a solid fill-in for Gardner for the rest of the season.

• mustang says:

Not a cop-out answer at all.
      Totally agree.

• jjyank says:

Agreed, Span is the type of player that this is simply the correct answer, not a cop out. He’s definitely not a guy who gut the farm system for, but he is a guy who has enough value to help the team. So yeah, if the price fits, go for it. If the Twinkies are marketing him has a star caliber center fielder, then hang up the phone and move on.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m not really giving much red meat there for everyone else.

19. Marcy says:

Collin Cowgill was sent down with all the boppers they now have in Oakland – hits righty/throws lefty. Came over in the Parker trade – anyone know anything about him?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Love him on ESPN Radio. Oh, wait…

• jjyank says:

Just looking at his stats, it seems like perhaps a AAAA player? Or at least a guy that hasn’t put it together in the majors yet. His stats in the Diamondbacks farm system are pretty good. In 2010 at AA he had a .375 wOBA (131 games), and 2011 in AAA he had a .442 wOBA (98 games). This year though he has a .322 wOBA for the A’s AAA team and .285 in the majors.

I don’t recall him being a heralded prospect, but I might be wrong.

20. mustang says:

I think the answer is going to be Shane Victorino. Not that I’m thrilled about it, but he is probably going fit as far as price and skill set.
    Everyone else either will cost too much or wouldn’t be enough of an upgraded.

21. mustang says:

But of course the evil empire side of me wants Upton.
    Damned Yankees fans it’s never enough and they are never happy.

22. Kosmo says:

Any trade for Span a relatively inexpensive cost controlled CF even with warts and all will cost any team 2-3 very good prospects. Yanks should really stick to someone like DeJesus or Victorino if they are in the hunt for an OF.
    Alex Gordon will cost at least Nova and 1 or 2 other pieces depending on who they are.
    Even though I ragged on Hughes at the beginning of the season much to my surprise he´s now a completely different pitcher and IMHO NY should not consider parting company with him unless the mother of all trades went down.

23. Kosmo says:

I could also see Nova being moved with other pieces in a deal that brings Garza and DeJesus to NY.

• yooboo says:

So that Yanks can deal with Hughes and Garza’s final arbitration? Unless Yanks have contract extension that Garza will accept to sign, I dont see that way.

• jjyank says:

I like Garza, but I feel like Nova is too essential to the 189 budget plan. Garza will be a free agent in 2014, while Nova would still be relatively cheap.

24. Dave M says:

I’d like to see Melky signed to replace Swisher. Nothing against Swish. I just feel that we have enough guys who swing for the fences and can’t get a simple base hit with runners on base. Melky got tons of big hits for us. And now he’s getting tons of hits period. Also has a cannon for an arm.