Oct

Update: Jeter to have surgery on fractured ankle this weekend

Tuesday: Jeter will have surgery on the ankle this Saturday, the team announced. The recovery time is expected to be 4-5 months, which means he should be ready for Spring Training. Not a guarantee though.

Monday: Via Wally Matthews: Derek Jeter will “likely” need surgery to repair ligament damage in his fractured left ankle. The Cap’n underwent a battery of tests to confirm the break yesterday, and now he’ll head to North Carolina to see Dr. Robert Anderson, a foot and ankle specialist who’s done work for the NFL.

The original diagnosis said the 38-year-old Jeter would be facing a three-month recovery period, though it’s unclear how surgery would affect that. Joe Girardi also indicated that his shortstop received a cortisone shot in the ankle a few weeks ago while playing through a bone bruise. It’s unclear if playing through the bone bruise for basically all of September contributed to the break, but it sure seems it could be related.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I hope the Yankees have a plan B for Jeter if he’s unable to play SS next year. His range is already severely limited and now he’s gonna be 39 years old coming off of ankle surgery.

• forensic says:

Nunez. Not saying its good or not, but I guarantee that’s their plan. Otherwise they wouldn’t have limited him to SS in AAA.

• Frank says:

I guarantee you it’s not Nunez.

• Jim Is Bored(Hughes the man?!) says:

You’re going to like the way you look. I guarantee it.

• RetroRob says:

They won’t be acquiring a top SS just on the possibility that Jeter won’t be playing, unless the surgery goes horribly (and when was the last time that happened?).

They will go into the seaosn with Jeter as their SS, and Nunez and Nix (probably) on the roster.

2. Aaron says:

The fact that he played on that injured ankle (and hit the snot out of the ball to boot) until it just snapped says something about Jeter… The captain is as tough as they come. I’m shocked he isn’t DHing with crutches. I wish him a speedy recovery and I have no doubt we will see him back at short next spring.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

No doubt he’ll work his tail off once he’s cleared to do so. He’ll want to come back and show that he can still do it. I hope he can. However, if he’s significantly slowed down, I wonder if it will have an effect on his 2014 plans?

• Frank says:

He’ll be 40 coming off a broken ankle. He already has limited range. Yanks need to get a new SS. I believe Jeter will be a DH.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Before and during this season, my next question would have been “And what do you do, then, with ARod?”. Unfortunately, it looks like ARod will become a platoon third baseman that may not add much in the way of offense, so I guess there’s a true spot for Jeter at DH.

• Robinson Tilapia (Overreacting is American) says:

He’s not going only 2013 only DH’ing. They’ll need a new shortstop at some point. Unless there’s a gamechanger we don’t know about yet, I’d put money on the man standing at SS on Opening Day being Derek Jeter.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Agree for 2013, but I’m no longer sure about 2014. Depends on how well he stands up to the physical demands of the position next year. I do think he’ll get much more time at DH next year though.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

ABSOLUTELY he plays SS opening day. Just not the next day, day after night games, any doubleheaders, games that get sandwiched in right after rough travel schedules, Thursday afternoon games, away games against the Sox, etc….

3. forensic says:

They initially said surgery would have a shorter recovery time, but not sure if the ligament changes that.

4. brian says:

As long as he’s back to 100% by opening day, 2013… nothing else matters right?

what difference does it make of he’s recovered by Jan. 1st or March 15th

5. Eddard says:

Jeter deserved better than this. He played on one foot this entire playoffs and still hit better than fully healthy players. Girardi says he always asks Jeter how he is and Jete always says, I’m ok let’s go. They should waive the 5 year hall of fame waiting period for Jeter, who will be the first player ever to receive 100% of the votes.

• Robinson Tilapia (Overreacting is American) says:

He ain’t getting 100% of the votes, whether it’s now or in 2064.

I also wonder if he was slightly compensanting with the foot and how that played into things. I know that in my *coughps3cough* playing days, that was the case.

• RetroRob says:

Right. No one is ever getting 100% of the vote.

As for his foot, it does seem odd he was battling a left-foot issue for six weeks, then he breaks his left ankle on appeared to be a simple play and movement. Maybe the two separate bone bruises weakened the surrounding structure, or maybe he was favoring it, putting additional stress on other parts of the foot. He supposedly also had a cortisone shot, and that will actually weaken the ligaments and tendons supporting the surrounding bone, which is why teams greatly limit how often a player can get cortisone.

If this is the case, were the Yankees negligent? Or is it considered acceptable risk. Without the cortisone he doesn’t play. He gets injured on the cortisone, well then he doesn’t play, but has a recovery.

6. Andrew J. says:

The rest of the team needs to get their heads out of their anuses and demolish the tigers in detroit in solidarity for the captain.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

… Or simply because they’re the better team and are professionals paid by the Yankees organization to win stuff like this.

7. brian says:

This isn’t going to have any long term effect on Jeter… he’s still getting to 4,000 hits

This might, however, lead to more games at DH and a quicker move to the outfield… something I would have hated years ago, but at this point it’s about keeping him in the lineup and keeping the wins and hits coming

8. Andrew J. says:

Doesnt seem like the’u r a highly paid pro’ is motivating arod cano swisher and grandy. They should use the captain then as a motivator

9. Rich in NJ says:

As long as Jeter is ok by March/April, that’s all the matters.

Best of luck to him.

Too bad most of his teammates lack his heart and mental toughness.

10. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

He was definitely compensating for the foot. If you watch closely on that play, his first step to the ball with his left foot was on his toes. Could not plant. May have even been broken before the play.

He doesn’t need much ST. He’ll be starting at SS next year.

11. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I love how Swisher is being blamed for Jeter’s ankle fracture.

It’s obviously not fair but I feel better knowing that Swisher is feeling some pain given how he’s made me suffer watching his putrid play both in the field and at the plate for the last 2 weeks and last 4 October’s in general.

12. NapLajoieOnSteroids says:

It’s about time the Yankees force the issue and tell Jeter that he will no longer be the regular shortshop for the NY Yankees either starting next year or the last year (and beyond) of his contract. If I were in the front office, I would tell him to prepare to learn how to play 3rd base and possibly left field/2nd Base. I would then proceed to stick to the two old men at one position (3rd base) while the other one DHs so as not to clog up too many positions and allowing them to alternate rest periods for the two of them easier. You could then use Jeter as a occasional shortstop and 2nd base/left field back up ala Omar Vizquel in the last few years.

I’d then see if Elvis Andrus (who I hear will be on the market this winter) is available. I have a gut feeling the Yankees don’t really want to give Nunez and his hands of stone at shot at the position.

I bet you something (not a straight up trade mind you) could be worked out for Andrus+whatever in exchange for Granderson+whatever.

It would make going forward much easier and prepare the way for the post-Jeter era.

13. RetroRob says:

I’m not saying this as a joke, but hopefully this doesn’t impact his range. It’s bad enough already. Making it worse is not a good thing.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Agree. That play Nunez made last night to stop a run, get an out and keep runners on 1st & 3rd wouldn’t have been made by Jeter this year. Certainly hope this doesn’t decrease his range any further (although I’d still rather have him there than Numez).

14. Jose M. Vazquez says:

I wish Jeter the best and that the surgery goes without any problem. I caution though, that this type of fracture may hinder him a little at his demanding position. I hope that is not the case.

15. Joe says:

Not sure I get why Jeter is finished at short. . He’s twice the shortstop both at bat and defensively than cal Ripken was ar this age in my humble non saber metric opinion.