Nov

Davidoff: Yankees have “significant interest” in re-signing Ibanez

Via Ken Davidoff: The Yankees have “significant interest” in re-signing Raul Ibanez, but have asked him to hold tight while they take care of more pressing matters first. Those matters involve re-signing Mariano Rivera, Hiroki Kuroda, and potentially Andy Pettitte.

Ibanez, 40, hit .240/.308/.353 (102 wRC+) with a number of huge late-season homers this year, and I think it’s fair to say the team wouldn’t be interested in bringing him back without those homers. He didn’t exactly kill the ball from June through mid-September. The two sides have already had preliminary discussions and Ibanez told Davidoff that his first choice was to return to the Yankees next year, plus the free agent DH market stinks. The Yankees are going to need a DH capable of playing the field a bit, and despite how poor he is defensively, Raul can at least fake the corner outfield if needed.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I think Ibanez got worn down from playing the field so much. I’d rather see him as lefty DH and not have to play the field more than once a week at the most.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, there’s no doubt he played the field an awful lot more than anticipated. I’m sure that had something to do with his poor stretches. I don’t really want him back, per se, but I’d be cool with him being a DH against righties/bench guy.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

There’s plenty of value (relative to the type of contract he signed last year, at least) in being the designated rightie masher/bench guy.

• jjyank says:

Right. If that’s all he is, then sure, bring him back. Of course, that’s all he was supposed to be last year too. Stay healthy, Brett.

I’m very much on board with the 1 year deal for vets plan. Hopefully Ibanez can help the team buy 1 more year to see how the prospects are shaping up.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

He really just buys time (I hope) for the Yankees to figure out what to do against righties at the DH slot. It would appear that ARod doesnt’ fit that slot, nor does Jeter, yet both of these guys will continue to get more DH ABs as time goes on, if not in ’13′, then in ’14 and beyond. I really hope that someone like Ichiro is the one giving the younger guys time to prepare for the big leagues (nitpicking, I know).

• jjyank says:

True. It’s possible that a prospect rotates between the OF and DH when they’re being broken in too though, depending on what the outfield composition looks like at the time.

2. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I love what Raul did for us this past season (you would’ve never guessed I know) but I really think he’s not the kind of player you sign for that extra year. Much like Andruw Jones and Marcus Thames he’s the type of player I’d much rather let go a year too early than a year to late.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Time to change your name again? :-)

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Haha, I’d rather change my name and remember Raul as that guy rather then remember him as we’re going to remember 2012 Andruw Jones.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I agree with your sentiment, but I have a feeling that, limited to primarily DH duties, Raul could be a relatively inexpensive piece that provides enough value to justify his roster spot in ’13. Certainly no longer than that, however.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This is pretty much how I see it, although I don’t think the world (and season) end(s) if he turns into a pumpkin halfway through the season.

• jjyank says:

As long as his salary stays reasonable, they could always just cut him in that scenario.

• chrisF says:

But will they? They hung onto Jones all season long despite is immense amounts of suck. And for a long period of time, Ibanez was no better. Pretty sure there was a period where he went 2-45 before mid-September. Yet, both seemed to make it the entire season.

I enjoyed the late season homers by Raul, but he was a near automatic out for a large portion of the season. I’d let him go. If they bring him back, make a rule where he is prohibited by law to bring a glove to the stadium.

3. The Real Eddard says:

Excellent news. Raul’s importance to next year’s team cannot be understated, or in my case overstated. He, along with Ichiro, were our best hitters in the postseason and those two are the closest we’ve had to Damon and Matsui since Damon and Matsui. Both should be high priorities to re-sign.

4. Murderers' Row Boat says:

2013 World Series Champs. Book it. Done.

5. MannyGeee says:

“Hey Raul… Yeah, we really dig you. And we want to work with you again, we really really do… But, ummm, would you mind staying here as our Plan C or D once we sign some other guys? Seriously, don’t move. We’ll be right back in January, promise!”

I thought this tactic only worked on women with EXTREMELY LOW self esteem. “But he said he loved me! Those three women that say he knocked them up since we’ve been together are obviously just jealous of our love and are trying to ruin him….”

6. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

So after the Yankees possibly sign Mo, Pett, and Kur. Then Ibanez gets the change that is left for his one year deal. Sounds about right.

I personally would pass on Raul, I don’t think he can hang in for another long marathon season. However, he was great in the Post.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

There’s not really a lot of options for lefty part time OF/DH who has some pop.

Who would be your next choice?

• Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Well ideally you sign Hamilton and play him with Curtis and Gardner. I would then sign Ichiro back and that’s your OF. There would be no need for a DH guy because you would rotate that DH position between, Alex, Jeter, and Hamilton. Even Teix could use some DH days.

Now Hamilton is more than likely a dream, soooo I suppose you take Raul back towards the end of the off-season after you have a 95% idea of what your roster looks like.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I’d be down with Travis Hafner but he obviously could never play the field and I think that would be a deal breaker.

Luke Scott is also a possibility.

Not sure if either is better than Ibanez though

• Preston says:

Hafner is a better hitter than Ibanez. It depends on how the rest of the roster plays out. If we have room on the bench for a DH only type than Hafner is better. If we need the OF depth than Raul is better. I have no interest in Luke Scott.

• Ted Nelson says:

Hafner has to be one of the more injury prone guys in baseball.

• Preston says:

Absolutely, but if he goes on the DL he isn’t wasting a roster spot. When healthy he mashes, especially against RHP, the same can’t be said for the other guys we’re talking about and they could get injured as well.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t think that there’s necessarily a clear choice, but when Hafner is injured he doesn’t produce. Someone else has to take his roster spot and line-up spot. He’s averaged under 1 fWAR the last two seasons. It was half a season, but he didn’t really mash last season. He hit RHP about the same as the other two and hit LHP passably.

• MannyGeee says:

You lost me at Luke Scott. Fuuuuuuck that guy.

7. RetroRob says:

He’s streaky. He hit a hot streak heading into mid-September and the playoffs. He could have just as easily been one of the Yankees going 1-21 depending on timing.

Not a reason not to sign him. Just expect more of the same. Blazing hot or frigid cold bat.

8. Robert says:

Since austerity has begun why not try Mustelier,Dickerson,Mesa and Z. Almonte in the OF and David Adams and Corbin Joseph as back up infielders. It would make us younger and faster and maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and one of these guys actually becomes a starter.All for the Major league minimum salary.

• Preston says:

Well austerity hasn’t happened yet, and so giving Mesa/Almonte the year in AAA is better (although they might not be good at AAA either). If the Yankees had faith in Dickerson, they would have given him a shot in the OF last year when Gardner went down. And I don’t think they think Mustelier is a legit prospect because of his age and skill limitations, no walks, bad fielder/baserunner. Adams and Cojo could both use a year in AAA and neither is ideal as a backup infielder because they can’t play SS.

• Ted Nelson says:

I love how the same people who bitch about the budget also go out of their way to suggest scenarios where the Yankees purposefully make themselves worse due to the budget.

Those guys do not disappear in AAA. They can earn a shot from there. You don’t have to choose between depth and development like that.

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah, except there is a better than average chance that all 6 of those guys become nothing. None of those guys are lighting the RailRiders on fire, and unlike Gardner they don’t have one well above average tangible asset that makes them a threat.

Younger, sure… But believe you me, them fellas are not going to hit 30+ bombs.

9. mick taylor says:

would josh hamilton sign a one year deal for 40 million

• Preston says:

Probably not, if you could get a guaranteed contract of 5/100 you wouldn’t turn it down and take the 1/40 and risk injury/decline and get less afterwards. Plus there is no way he’s worth 40 million, you’d have to put up 10 WAR to be worth 40 million for one season. Nobody is a good bet to put up 10 WAR in any season.

• chrisF says:

One year is really the key there. If the Yankees have the money who gives a shit? Take the 5-6 WAR he would put up and pay him his ridiculous money. He’ll be vastly overpaid, but he’ll be off the books after just one season.

I like one year contracts because of that. I’m much more open to overpaying on a one year deal because it would not affect next seasons transactions at all.

Of course, Hamilton isn’t signing a one year deal no matter what.

• Preston says:

It’s easy to say the money doesn’t matter when it’s not your money. But seriously 40 million is about what Kuroda, Pettitte and Rivera would be guaranteed next season when they sign. So that’s a lot of money going to one guy. Especially a very injury prone guy. That would be one pie in the face move for the NY media if you paid him 40 million and he sat out sixty games.

• Ted Nelson says:

There are better ways to spend $40 million.

10. Stevis says:

Gee Wiz….things must be really really slow…talking About Ibanez like it is a big deal!!
    George would be turning over in his grave if he could hear these trivial dealings!!

11. Jersey Joe says:

Would rather go with Luke Scott as even cheaper, younger bounce back candidate.

• Preston says:

Scott has been bad the last two years, has never been really good, and is supposed to be kind of a racist asshole. Pass.
      I don’t care about the political views, but putting bannana chips in Felix Pie’s helmet to remind him not to act like a “savage” is incredibly racist. And keeping guns in your couch cushions won’t go over so well in NYC, just ask Plaxico Burress.

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah, fuck that guy. He has racist (facial hair) tendencies. That shit might fly out in the sticks in Tampa, but we run a different type of show here.