Nov

Martin: Pettitte could give Yankees a “timetable” this week

Via Dan Martin: Left-hander Andy Pettitte could give the Yankees a “timetable” sometime this week. Does that mean he’ll tell them he’s going to return? When he’s going to have a decision about his future? Something else? Your guess is as good as mine.

Pettitte, 40, pitched to a 2.87 ERA (3.48 FIP) in 12 starts and 75.1 innings sandwiched around his leg injury this year. He said he wanted to make a decision about 2013 as quickly as possible following the team’s ALCS exit, indicating that he hoped to have an answer within a month. It’s been almost exactly a month now, so hopefully he gives the Yankees an answer soon one way or the other so they can move on with their offseason. Most believe Andy will come back next year, but it’s not a guarantee.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. The Real Eddard says:

The fact that he hasn’t made up his mind yet is a bad sign. There’s hesitation there going from I’ll have a definite decision to I’ll give you a timetable of when my decision will occur. The only thing that matters to Andy is winning another ring and I have to think that the austerity measures will hamper the team’s chances of winning a championship the next couple years. Andy is probably thinking do I want to come back to an aging, declining roster without Kuroda, Swisher and Soriano? And now the Blue Jays have made themselves formidable.

2. Cris Pengiucci says:

Maybe the timetable is an indication that he’d like to pitch a reduced season (ala Clemens). I’d be fine with that.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Oh, I’m sorry, I’ve got this all wrong. The comment above mine clearly shows that someone knows exactly what’s going on in Andy’s mind and his reasoning for any decision he makes.

::rolls eyes::

• jjyank says:

#EddardWorld

Seriously, ever since Andy has been rolling with the “1 year deal and then talk to his family” thing, he’s never decided quickly. Given that his family wanted him to pitch in 2012, I would guess he’s coming back. But that’s just a guess.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I would guess he’s coming back. But that’s just a guess.

You mean you don’t speak with him personnally?!?!? You can’t read his mind and don’t know for sure what’s driving his decisions?!?!?

3. ton lon ton says:

pineda wont be avail till june 7th

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

So they do what they did last season and proceed in a manner that leaves them prepared if he doesn’t, but allows for additional depth if he returns.

I’m sure this will bring on some negative comments as to Andy’s intentions. He’s Andy Fucking Pettitte. You give him the time and find the room if he comes back. Respect your elders and get off my fucking stoop already.

5. Eli Whiteside says:

eaxactly! Sign put Phelps in rotation n meantime and send him back to Scranton once Andy returns. Its Kuroda that we need to sign or we are in trouble!

6. vin says:

Seems like Dan Martin is the guy with all the contacts this offseason. He’s on top of every “story.” Better than Joel Sherman, I guess.

7. Herby says:

Andy needs to come to a fucking decision already, not this, “he’s got a timetable,” crap and not leave the Yankees hanging like he’s done in the past…either he knows he’s coming back or he doesn’t, I’m sure he’s figured it out by now and if he’s not he needs to let them know so they can get on with plan B.
    I’ve got a deck, only old men stoop and he’s not my elder.

• jjyank says:

It’s not even Thanksgiving yet…the off season is still young. This comment would make sense in like, late January.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I’m sure the Yankees won’t wait for him forever. They’re professionals, and I’m confident they’ve got a Plan “B” and “C”, and probably a “D” and so on. I suspect they’ve also let him know that they have a timetalbe as well and they’ll move on by a particular point in time if they don’t hear from him, which may limit what role he’ll play in 2013 if he waits too long.

• Darren says:

You want to know now because you are impatient. But this comment makes no sense. It’s not like the Yankees are going to lose out on a different free agent pitcher because Andy is taking his time. There is no replacement for him.

It’s like when your hot, nice, cool girlfriend took her time to figure out if she’s gonna stay in NYC or move back to San Diego. If she leaves, your Plan B is to eat Beefaroni from a can and watch replays of 1998 ALDS Game 2 in your boxers and ratty Bam Bam Meulens muscle shirt. Adam Warren is the Beefaroni. It’s not a good Plan B. Let Andrew Eugene Pettitte take as much time as he needs and let’s hope he comes back.

• BaltimoreYankee says:

Herby – You could have made your point exactly as you did without using the word ‘fucking’. That goes for all you potty mouths. It’s not that fucking hard.

• herby says:

Sorry…but went to school in N.Y. and we all know the teacher comes in during first grade and goes through the alphabet…Fucking A…Fucking B….Fucking C…and so on.
        As for his timetable…how hard is it to really decide if you’re going to pitch or not and when his timetable is going to work out to be. I like Andy and hope he comes back, but you don’t know what other deal could be out there and who else could be reaching for it, be in Nov. or Jan.

8. Rich in NJ says:

This gets old. I love Pettitte, but make up your mind now.

• There's the Door says:

Agree, Rich. It’s the same thing year after year with him. Enough already — it’s not an existential crisis. Somebody is offering you pantloads of money to throw a baseball for seven months. Show some sack and make a call, one way or the other.

9. Ray says:

I must have missed something about Kuroda. I did not hear that he is not coming back. Is this a definite? Thanks.

• Ted Nelson says:

Word just got out that he prefers SoCal since his daughters live there. Assuming the Padres aren’t a fit, that leaves two options. Both are players for Greinke, so we probably know nothing about Kuroda until that shakes out.

Before this, word was he would only P for only the Yankees or in Japan… so who knows?

10. RetroRob says:

Pitch. Make lots of money. Get away from the nagging wife.

WTF, Andy?

11. Gonzo says:

Is anyone else nervous about Andy pitching a full season?

Hasn’t pitched over a 100 innings since 2010 season. Hasn’t pitched over a 150 innings since 2009. He turns 41 next year.

• Thurdonpaul says:

Thats a valid point, I would guess the Yankees would be careful with his innings and give him extra rest when they could.

• Ted Nelson says:

I’m probably not as nervous as most, but it’s a concern for me even. If they get Kuroda or another #2 caliber starter I don’t really care too much, though. At that point their depth is pretty good, with Phelps and possibly Pineda as well as Warren, Marshall, and probably some MiLB deal vet types. If they fail to get anyone else and Pettitte is their #2… sucks a bit more.

Pettitte is a veteran who has been healthy other than a freak come-backer, so that’s why I’m not as worried as many probably are. Ps are inherently risky, but I would put more stock in Andy at his age than a lot of younger guys without his track record.

12. Miguel says:

What If the Yanquees go get Asdrubal Cabrera , Shin-Soo Choo and also Chris Perez this way solve the back of the bullpen and the shortstop and by the way the right field spot . Use the farm Please

13. j says:

I’d be fine with one of Kuroda or Pettitte and rolling with a rotation of CC, Kuroda/Pettitte, Hughes, Phelps, Nova. Only concern would be depth, with Nova, CC and Andy coming of injury seasons.

14. barry hall says:

The Yankee’s problem is not the players they have drafted.Therefor they don’t have the prospects to make that needed trade.The problem is the people that is drafting these players.Why is most of the 29 other teams have good if not great young players to trade when needed.Name one player the Yankee’s have traded that has become an impact player besides Austin Jackson,which was a mistake.

• Ted Nelson says:

Do a little research into their farm system. There’s a lot of talent down there.

In the last few years? Ian Kennedy. Melky Cabrera. Montero has a ton of potential at 23 years old and hit well outside of Safeco in 2012. Arodys Vizcaino just turned 22 last week. Melancon. How many other guys have the Yankees traded the last few years?

15. barry hall says:

please don’t tell us Kennedy is that good , he’s average at best.Cabrera is a forth or fifth outfielder. Montero can’t hit a curve ball,no arm ,can’t run. Melancon is hit like a rented mule. As for the other guys the Yankee’s have traded,who and where are they?