Nov

Yankees claim Josh Spence off waivers from Padres

The Yankees have claimed left-handed reliever Josh Spence off waivers from the Padres, the team announced. Earlier this evening they claimed right-hander David Herndon off waivers from the Blue Jays.

Spence, 24, has pitched to a 3.15 ERA (3.92 FIP) in 40 innings for San Diego over the last two seasons. He’s an extreme fly ball guy (33.0% grounders) and an extreme soft-tosser (mid-80s fastball, mid-70s curveball) with a funky arm angle, but he’s held left-handers to a .222 wOBA with a 26.7 K% as a big leaguer. He’s another Clay Rapada, for all intents and purposes. Spence has at least one minor league option left, maybe even two.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Dan Gold says:

Yea
    .I love me some Josh Spence

2. Fernando says:

Yes, I like this pick up. He may be a product of Petco Park, but he enkoyed some success prior to last year’s injury.

3. Fernando says:

4. RetroRob says:

A lefty, fly-ball pitcher coming from Petco and the NL West to Yankee Stadium at the AL East?

Okay, there could be issues, but he’s lefty, young and has had some success. Certainly worth the look.

Let’s hope the Yankees aren’t going to claim two relievers a day from now until Spring Training. They might be calling me shortly.

5. Jamey says:

24? Cashman, living dangerously!

6. dalelama says:

Big whoop……

7. riley says:

Love my Aussie, Spence & love my Yankees. Good luck, Spence, we’ll miss you. Wanted to see you and Murph again…but great news nonetheless.

8. riley says:

My fave Aussie…my fave team. Good luck Josh. Wanted to see you and Murphy again but this is great news.

9. Jeff says:

More Penny pinching by Hal Steinbrenner & Cashman!

10. LemDaGem says:

A left handed specialist ? What ? IS there a down side to this deal ?