Feb

Hal: Boras knows we’re willing to discuss a “significant” deal for Cano

Via George King: Hal Steinbrenner confirmed the team has let Scott Boras know they’re willing to consider a massive contract for free agent-to-be Robinson Cano. “We expressed to Scott what a great Yankee he has been and we hope he continues his career here for a long time to come. We indicated to him on a very preliminary basis that we were willing to consider a significant long-term contract,” said the owner, who acknowledged talks were held before Spring Training and that nothing has happened since.

Last week we heard there was a “significant difference” in valuation during contract talks, which isn’t a huge surprise. We’re going to hear many similar reports between now and November, when negotiations will result in either a new contract or a scary bidding war with the Dodgers (and maybe even others). Click here for last week’s Cano contract poll, in case you missed it.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Govin says:

If the Yankees wait till next offseason to negotiate with Boras, they need to make it clear that they will not wait around for half the offseason while Boras Tries to raise the price. They need to know early in the offseasn what Cano is going to do and for what price. So they can fill the other holes they will have.

2. MB923 says:

“We expressed to Scott what a great Yankee he has been and we hope he continues his career here for a long time to come. We indicated to him on a very preliminary basis that we were willing to consider a significant long-term contract”

Boras in response probably said, “Okay, so he’s that important to you? Then double the years and the money and we’ve got a deal!”

Jokes aside. I really hope Hal’s definition of massive is no where near as much as A-Rod massive.

• titit says:

I hope… all the toeing the line and holding expenses down, aren’t just because a Cano contract. If they really offered or are willing to go anywhere near 7 for $175mm, if Cano doesn’t jump at that, then they should walk away till the offseason.

The risks associated for playing another year is definitely worth the extra money he was hoping to get. Also,

3. jjyank says:

If Cano leaves, I hope the Yanks at least make him an offer that’s competitive with whatever he ends up taking. I would hate to see the Yankees hold the line at a team friendly contract just to see him go elsewhere for a significant difference. I know plenty of people on here will disagree with that, but to me it would at least signal that the FO is going to try to spend money to gain/retain elite talent.

• Havok9120 says:

I agree. I’d don’t want them to totally phone it in. He’s a key piece that we should at least want to retain even he winds up totally beyond our means.

• MannyGeee says:

I agree. I don’t want them to totally phone it in. He’s a key piece that we should at least want to retain even he winds up totally beyond our means indeed.

/That Ham Sandwich guy’d

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Based on Hal’s comment, I don’t think they have any intention of phoning it in. If they make a competitive offer, it seems they’ll have a pretty good chance of retaining Cano, based on his own comments.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I expect a dump truck full of money showing up on Robbie Cano’s front porch, and that the dump truck will have a Yankee logo on it.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I just wish that, if we sign him, the inevitable complaining in 4-5 years when he starts to break down would be limited.

But yeah, I’d like to see him stay, and it would suck if the Yankees don’t offer him anything remotely competitive.

4. Greg says:

a 32 year old 2B on a 10 year deal? Terrible idea. Make him a qualifying offer, take the pick and move on. Even a 7 year deal at $25M per is a bad idea.

• Havok9120 says:

Luckily, no one from the Yanks has spoken of a 10 year deal. Or a 7 year deal for that matter.

• jjyank says:

I doubt he gets 10 years. I know he’s going to blow past other 2B contracts, but is he really gonna get 3 more years and roughly twice the money as Utley? Or twice the years and more than twice the money as Kinsler? I really don’t see it.

• Laz says:

Also the fact that Cano isn’t quite the hitter that Utley was just a few years ago.

• jjyank says:

Well actually they might be pretty comparable. Utley got 7/85 after 2007 I believe, which was his best season of his career. He had the same wRC+ as Cano did last year (150). Utley’s second best season was 2009, and he had a 141 wRC+ while Cano’s second best year was 2010 were he posted 143 wRC+.

It’s not a slam dunk that Cano right now is superior to Utley in his prime, however. Sure, there’s going to be some inflation too. But all this talk of 10 years, or $200+ million strikes me as an exaggeration. Is Cano really so much better that he’s going to more than double Utley’s dollar amount as well as adding several years?

• Cool Lester Smooth (formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Utley steals ~15 bases a season and signe that contract going into his age 28 season, Cano’s will start when he’s 31.

5. Now Batting says:

I still don’t see how a long-term massive contract for Cano makes sense with $189. Using shorthand math, but $81 mil is committed to five guys next year. That number is closer to $85 or even 90 since it only assumes $3 mil for Jeter. Going with $85, assume Cano gets $25 a year a la Josh Hamilton. So $110 mil spent with 19 holes on the 25 man to fill. With ~$70 mil (accounting for player expenses and the rest of the 40 man that eat into the payroll). That’s ~$3.5 per player. If you go over that with any player you need to go under it with another. Only 6 guys on the team this year are making less than that using Cot’s. Gardner and Robertson make 3.1 and will be arb eligible. The rest aside from Shawn Kelley and I suppose include Pineda will be free agents.

Yikes

6. Opus says:

Significant, eh? Advantage: Boras!

7. Laz says:

$240/10 years. Welcome to Hollywood!

8. Gonzo says:

If they can get a deal done, great. If not, I’m ok with letting him play this year.

9. Reggie C. says:

Did i miss something in reading Mark Feinseid’s article from yesterday. Its bold headline, “Yanks must pay Cano what he wants or he’s gone” made me click the link. Yet Feinseid never gets close to suggesting years, AAV, or total compensation, or doesnt even make comparisons to other plus 30 year old sluggers.

Feinseid’s article was a worthless read and i’m sure its the first of many MSM pay-Cano-or-hello-doomsday articles to come.

Cant wait to bash each one of those!

• Jim Is Bored says:

Isn’t that the most tautological statement ever? Sports writers get desperate to pump out articles on their deadlines, I guess.

10. OldYanksFan says:

The length of the contract is irrelevent. The longer the better, Hell, give him 10 years, it will just bring down the AAV for tax purposes. Whether it’s 6 years or 20 years, it’s basically the rest of Cano’s career (where he is better then replacement).

The bottom line is the contract AMOUNT.

And to a great extent, that amount is tied to the WAR he produces over the remainder of his career.

If he can accummulate 40 WAR from 2014 on, he’s worth around $180m
    If he can accummulate 35 WAR from 2014 on, he’s worth around $158m
    If he can accummulate 30 WAR from 2014 on, he’s worth around $135m

So, in 8 years, ages 31 – 38, raise you hand if you think he’s good for 40 WAR. OK… hands down.
    So, in 8 years, ages 31 – 38, raise you hand if you think he’s good for 35 WAR. OK… hands down.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but I think it’s optimistic to think he will be good for another 35 WAR, so $160m is probably close to his top ‘real’ value. So… how much additional ‘elite FA Tax’ are you willing to overpay?

Since the Teix and CC contacts should be off the books by the time Robbie really declines, his contract might not kill us. And if we don’t resign Robby and wait for another elite FA, the overpay will probably be similar.

I really think $175 is to much, but that’s the nature of the FA market. And this is a team that plans on contending ever year (except 2014 and 2015), so maybe it’s not dumb to offer $175m.

Shit… maybe the Red Sox had the right idea when they dumped payroll last year.

Maybe we just have to let Robbie walk.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I would love to have been in the room for the conversation where someone in the yankees front office said “We’re not planning on contending in 2014 or 2015″

Because as far as I can tell, that hasn’t happened.

11. OldYanksFan says:

OK…. Assuming we keep Cano…..
    Mo and Andy are gone in 2014,
    Jeter is old, ARod is old and injured,
    Grandy is gone,
    Hiroki is gone (or too expensive),
    and the kids are still a year or 2 away…..
    just what is our winning lineup?
    (ARod + Cano + Teix + CC = $100m)

12. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (Formerly Austin Aunelowitzky) says:

Selfishly, and who isn’t selfish this side of Siddhartha, Jesus and Mother Teresa, I have a Cano signed baseball and I need this dude to be a Yankee lifer…

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

Boras on Michael Kay now.

14. voiceofirrationalrationale says:

Shouldve never come down to this. A year away, and negotiatong with Boras ?! You approach this 2 years out, find out if he’s “signable”, and if not, trade him for some valuable, team controlled pieces. Now the horse is starting to poke his head out of the barn and you could lose him for a “pick”.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

FWIW, listening to the Boras interview with Kay was intereting. It really sounded to me like there was an actual interest in getting an extension done and that it wasn’t lip service. The agent may actually be doing the player’s bidding here.

15. tommy cassella says:

i just wish boras would drop dead and go straight to hell.