Feb

Hot .GIF Action: Corey Black

That little right-hander up there is Corey Black, the Yankees’ fourth round pick from last summer and their 24th best prospect in my opinion. He pitched against the Orioles in Sarasota this afternoon and got hit around a bit — didn’t help his own cause with two walks — allowing two runs in an inning of work. He was very clearly overthrowing at times, which really isn’t necessary when you already live in the mid-90s.

Black is a big arm strength guy who is still working on his secondary stuff, but he did manage a 50/15 K/BB in 52.2 innings across three minor league levels after signing last summer. He’ll continue to work as a starter as he climbs the ladder, but his ultimate destination may be the bullpen. More .GIFs — which you can click for a larger view — after the jump.

Just so you don’t think think everything is called strikes on the corners and pretty breaking balls, here’s Nate McLouth clobbering a full count fastball for a double…

Left-hander Vidal Nuno started the game, and he lived up to his billing as a soft-tossing finesse guy. Here are a pair of called strike breaking balls (first one, second one) if you must see him in the action, the rest of the outing was hard contact.

Other hot .GIFs: Mark Montgomery

1. Havok9120 says:

Nuno had 3 straight caught-looking Ks at at one point. 5 Ks in 2 innings against a lot of O’s starters.

• jjyank says:

I saw that. I knew he was a control guys, but I’ve never seen him before. I thought he looked pretty good. I kinda put him in my Mustelier category: Not expecting much, but he’s put up some really nice numbers. Enough that I’d keep my eye on him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Finesse guys are going to live and die by their stuff. If he can keep the mistakes down at the MLB level, who knows. If not, maybe he’s a “change of pace” reliever?

I have measured high hopes for him as well.

2. trr says:

pretty good job by Nuno; Corey Black, hope we see you in the Bronx someday

3. jjyank says:

In other news, “Hot .GIF Action” has to be the best category title on RAB.

4. Adirondack Murray says:

Pujols would only be out 2 weeks with that injury. He’s a fast healer.

5. mick taylor says:

the young yank pitchers will benefit greatly from gil patterson being the minor league pitching coordinator.roy haliday and andrew bailey say he has a brilliant mind. look what he did with oakland’s young pitchers.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

Between the hot .gif action and hard contact, I was getting a bit concerned as to what kind of .gif we’d be seeing. I mean, Corey Black could easily be some of sort of C-grade female adult star name.

7. Danny says:

Didn’t get a chance to see the game, any reports on how Bryan Mitchell looked ?

8. The Real Greg says:

Nuno could come into play if we have to move Boone Logan somewhere.

Not only did he K’5, but the people he k’d were not schmos. Matt Wieters and Nick Markakis amongst them.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I can imagine a combination of a good start at AAA and some unforseen injuries would put him in play rather quickly.