Feb

Newman: Jose Campos has completed his rehab program

Via George King (subs. req’d): VP of Baseball Ops Mark Newman confirmed that right-hander Jose Campos has completed his rehab program and will be ready to go when Spring Training begins. “He has finished his rehab program and will be ready for the start of Spring Training,” said Newman, in case you didn’t believe me.

Campos, 20, made just five starts for Low-A Charleston last year before being shut down with either inflammation or a bone bruise in his throwing elbow. The diagnosis depends on who you ask. After Manny Banuelos missed most of the season with a similar injury only to have Tommy John surgery in October, it’s good to hear Campos is healthy and will begin the season on time. After last season, I’m ready for some top pitching prospects to stay healthy and tear up the low levels.

Categories : Asides, Injuries, Minors

1. Cuso says:

Good news?!

What’s that? It’s a foreign concept to me.

2. Jacob The OG (formerly Jacob) says:

Very very pleased by this news. This could be a very big year for the farm. Who does everyone have their money on as tearing up the MiLB for us this year? I have Slade Heathcott.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

Good news indeed. This calls for a celebratory “Entourage” clip.

4. Now Batting says:

How’s Luiz Martinez compare to what we have at catcher now?

• Minor Leaguer says:

I’m wondering the same thing, he doesn’t seem like a bad idea even though Idk much about him, especially good since CERVELLI is now connected to PED’s. You can never have to much catching plus the O’s took Canzler from us so we should take him from them.

5. Havok9120 says:

I still say he should have had Tommy John anyway. Just to be safe.

6. RetroRob says:

That uncomfortable feeling that in June the team will announce Campos will undergo TJS, turning one year of lost development into three.

• velocitee says:

^This

I’m almost at the point where I’m not expecting these oft named prospects (Banuelos, Betances, Melancon, etc al) to significantly impact the team either due to injury issues or inability to make that jump. Unsure if it’s the over hype they receive or it’s just bad luck or something.

Though, I will say, that Nova and Gardner despite the performance and injury issues have been a pleasant surprise for me. I don’t recall if Robertson was ever prominent on the DotF reports…Though, love him too.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Banuelos had TJ and will recover.
        There were delivery and control issues with Betances all along.
        Melancon was a college relief prospect who, wait, has actually closed for an MLB team, albeit barely one.

The problem with this comment isn’t the players. It’s the commenter.

• velocitee says:

I have no doubt Banuelos will recover, but until he does I will reserve my opinion on him. The other two (Betances/Melancon) I mentioned were purely because they popped up in my head. I’m sure I can think of others if I tried.

Yeah, Melancon closed for an MLB team, if that’s what you want to call the Astros. Maybe he’s better suited off for the NL Central…Maybe I was burnt on him being touted at one time the jesus sauce and a future important cog in Girardi’s bullpen…

What I was trying to say originally was I am going to try to pay less attention to the hype certain players get or read less into what every Keith Law, Crasnick, BA, etc al says about them. I’d be better off emotionally if I do such. I don’t dig deep into stats, but when I do, I tend to get attached. It’s better to handle it with a detached approach. Nothing wrong with this commentator, at all.

7. barry says:

Have to say Campos is one of those guys you can’t help but get fired up about. Hope he comes back better than ever.

8. John says:

Glad to see Campos is given the OK, but I really hope he stays healthy throughout the year. My pick out of all the highlighted top prospects to have a big year is going to be Tyler Austin. I really think his polish will shine in Double-A resulting in a September call-up. My sleeper pick will be Corey Black.

9. emac2 says:

It’s always possible to have two really bad years in a row but given our 3 first round picks this year, 5 of the top 110 in laws ranking this year and the fact that none of our current prospects should lose eligibility next year I think we’re the easy favorite to have the top system in the minors next year. I would be surprised if we don’t have 6 or more of the top 100.

It it might make sense to delay the payroll reset one year to take full advantage though.

10. NettlesE5 says:

Do the yanks have same dr.s or multiple dr.s now evaluating the health of their pitchers? * See Banuelos, Pineda. Hope they have Campos diagnosia correct….

11. tommy cassella says:

yeah, he’s coming back, but for how long?