Jun

Friday Night Open Thread

The Yankees announced their plans for Old Timers’ Day yesterday afternoon — Chad Jennings has the details — and one name stuck out from the roster: Orlando Hernandez. El Duque will make his Old Timers’ debut next weekend, and I haven’t been this excited since Mike Mussina made his debut a few years ago. Hernandez was the best and I can’t wait to see the leg kick one more time.

Here is your open thread for the night, or at least until the regular game thread comes along in a few hours. The Mets are playing the Cubs (Jackson vs. Marcum), plus MLB Network will air the Giants and Braves (Bumgarner vs. Medlen). No NHL or NBA action tonight, unfortunately. Talk about either of those games or anything else here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. YankeesJunkie says:

Will Vernon Wells, A-Rod, and Ichiro be apart of the game this year?

2. Troll says:

Remember, boys and girls, do not poke, prod, or feed the “regulars”. They are a sensitive bunch and are extremely squeamish and pissy around sudden outbursts of truth and objectivity. You’ve been warned.

• Mike Axisa says:

Stop being an idiot. You’re worse than all of them put together.

• Troll says:

Score one for the big man! Bravo, Mike, bravo. I’m proud of you.

• Dalek Jeter says:

(I can’t believe I’m engaging you especially with what I’m about to say)

What I don’t get about you is a few weeks ago, hell people could probably find an instance from like a week ago, you ragged on guys like R-Tills, jj, Pat D, ect (I’m not including me because I just don’t give a shit) for agreeing with Mike’s opinion, calling ‘em sheeple and what not…but then we ‘regulars’ come out against Mike’s emotional outburst last night and you bash them for that too. I guess my point is, do you really have nothing better to do than troll people you don’t know beyond their personas on a fanboard?

• Troll says:

jjyank is a Jewish stoner that went to perennial safety-safety school UVM and somehow has somehow afforded himself the luxury of living beside me in my cherished city of W,DC. So, I do know THAT. And, also, just to clear up your jibblybits, I’ve only ever ragged on those three for being raging assholes with severely questionable superiority complexes. I say what those who read and never comment want to say. I’m the vox populi, baby. Yeah!

• GreenArm says:

haha, guy’s/girl’s handle is TROLL. why even bother! just leave it alone and we can actually talk about baseball. (well and the stupid -read: funny- other stuff that goes on here)

3. Pat D says:

I wish Winfield would start showing up to OTD again.

Mussina and Scott Brosius, too. It’d be nice if Tony Kubek got off his high horse and came back once, but I’ve given up hope of that.

I am also a bit curious for if and when Chuck Knoblauch ever comes back.

And who’s with me on this one: Chad Curtis!!

• GreenArm says:

as silly as it sounds (and well, maybe as stupid as it sounds) i kinda got excited when knoblauch followed me on twitter.

• Pat D says:

No, that’s cool.

• Preston says:

kind of makes me want to get a Twitter account

• GreenArm says:

honestly, it’s great. for many of the folks you can follow, it’s a peek inside their brains. i initially only started up because of the work i do (this day and age, the music industry is largely centered around social media and such), but i’m a major proponent now.

and thanks Pat D! i dunno, i guess i got a tad too happy for knoblauch, but glad i wouldn’t be alone!

• forensic says:

I still have zero desire to be a twit. Whatever’s on there that I might care about I can find elsewhere too, nearly as quickly. Nobody would care about what I would say either. It causes too many problems with too many schmucks in my opinion to be worth it.

• GreenArm says:

HA fair. (esp when put like that)

• forensic says:

I could maybe see it if it’s important for your career like you said. But for me, people will look for almost anything to try to discredit you, and that kind of stuff (facebook, myspace, etc…) is one of the big places they get that stuff. And in my career, if you’re discredited much, then your career is basically over.

• Preston says:

Your wrong everybody is dying to see your twat!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think I heard a story once about a friend of a friend being hit on on the subway by a lonely, drunken Chuck Knoublach.

4. Jacob the OG says:

So how long until we get our first future hall of famer ronnier call tonight? Bound to happen due to youk’s injury

• Pat D says:

I think there would have to be another outfield injury. Then again, they’re calling up Neal.

At this point I have a feeling you don’t see FHOFRM unless Hafner gets hurt.

• forensic says:

Adams is staying due to Youks injury (though I guarantee you’ll see way too much of the Brignac/Nix SS/3B combo too).

Clearly they have no desire to ever call up Mustelier barring every other CI/COF in the organization getting hurt…

5. Dalek Jeter says:

The best youtube video of all time.

• Pat D says:

A few things:

1) Academy Award Winning Actor was an over actor extraordinaire.
      2) Beloved Actor Who Died This Year is not really that prevalent in reality.
      3) The cinematography was not inspiring.
      4) Something else I can’t remember.

6. vicki says:

el duque! the ORIGINAL high-socks.

7. Get Phelps Up says:

Happy Flag Day y’all.

8. vicki says:

so thomas neal in right. vern in left.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Ichiro left in Oakland? (get’s hopes up.)

• forensic says:

Maybe Wells will treat this former team the way he’s treated his other former team so far this year. We can hope, right? Right???

Nah, probably not…

• vicki says:

i bet that’s joe’s thinking. he’ll be booed, of course, and he does seem to have that chip on his shoulder thing.

9. Robinson Tilapia says:

So how did Stairs clear waivers so quickly? Was he just placed on waivers under our radar a couple of days ago? Glad to see him still around. I’d sleep with one eye open if I was Francisco Rondon, though.

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

Also, let’s hear it for El Duque. Will be just awesome to see him at OTD.

When does everyone think we’ll get Jorge to come back for OTD? That would be great.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I really sort of hope that after Derek retires next year, Jorge, Andy, Mo, Bernie,and Derek all comeback for their first OTD and have their numbers all retired and it’s a huge thing. That would be really freaking cool.

11. forensic says:

Everytime I go to Vernon Wells’ BR page, I just get sad.

I really need to stop going there…

12. forensic says:

I’m listening to the O’s radio broadcast against the Red Sox with Chris Tillman starting tonight.

Everytime they start talking about him, it’s like you could replace ‘Chris Tillman’ with ‘Phil Hughes’ and it’d be the exact same stuff we talk about every 5th day. Homerun problems, high pitch counts, millions of foul balls.

Of course, he’s 2 years younger and still under control for a few years, so we’ll see if he continues on that path the way Hughes has.

13. Jimmy says:

Finally found a 6 pack of Lagunita’s Little Sumpin’. Good call, whoever it was harping on this a few months ago.

14. dkidd says:

rubby de la rosa abiut to debut for the red sox

i hate ned colletti

• Brian S. says:

Could you imagine Boston with Gonzalez and Crawford this year though? Instead of Victorino and Carp(who has actually been good but point still stands)? Their offense would be even more ridiculous.

15. Brian S. says:

Guess we should have signed Mark Reynolds instead of Kevin Useless

/hindsight’d

16. Derbs1221 says:

This offense is hard to watch and it gets more frustrating when the sox guys all seem to hit 300. And then Iglesias for them is hitting like 450. I thought he was supposed to be all glove? Ugh wtf