Jun

Game 75: Old Timers’ Day

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

There isn’t another team in sports that can pull off an event like Old Timers’ Day, at least not on the same scale as the Yankees. Hall of Famers, bench players, solid regulars, and a whole bunch of World Champions will be on the field today as the team celebrates its history. The awesomeness of Old Timers’ Day doesn’t translate well across television — it really is an event everyone should experience in person at least once. I highly recommend it.

The full roster of Old Timers can be found right here. Among the first timers are Orlando Hernandez, John Flaherty, and Andy Phillips. I am most looking forward to seeing El Duque again; hopefully he pitches in the Old Timers’ Game. Jorge Posada will not be making his debut this summer, but it’ll happen eventually. I am definitely looking forward to it.

The ceremony and baseline introductions start at 11:15am ET with the Old Timers’ Game to follow. All of that can be seen on YES. The Yankees and Rays are scheduled to start at 2:05pm ET, which you’ll be able to watch on YES locally and TBS nationally. Enjoy all of it.

Update (11:34am): Here is the lineup for Yankees-Rays, which is identical to yesterday’s:

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. DH Travis Hafner
  5. 1B Lyle Overbay
  6. LF Zoilo Almonte
  7. SS Jayson Nix
  8. 3B David Adams
  9. C Chris Stewart

The roster move has not been announced yet, but Ivan Nova will be summoned from Triple-A to start the game. The rotation was thrown out of whack by Tuesday’s rainout.

Injury Updates: Mark Teixeira (wrist) was checked out by the doctor yesterday but has not yet been cleared to resume any kind of activity. They’ll re-evaluate again soon and go from there.

Roster Move (12:04pm): Thomas Neal has been optioned to Triple-A Scranton to clear a spot for Nova. He went 2-for-11 (.182) in four games with New York after being called up last week, but Almonte has since zoomed passed him on the outfield depth chart. The Yankees currently have a 13-man pitching staff and a three-man bench, but it seems likely Nova will be sent down following the spot start.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Pat D says:

I wonder if Mo returns for OTD already next year.

No Winfield again. Starting to wonder why he can’t be bothered.

Obviously Mattingly and Tino have jobs that prevent them from attending.

Wonder where Graig Nettles is this year.

Plenty of other guys who you’d like to see that aren’t there.

2. vicki says:

happy luis sojo day.

3. Winter says:

One of the first games I ever went to at Yankee Stadium was Old-Timers day. I wasn’t too old (and this will definitely age me), but I remember thinking Oscar Gamble had a really funny name and I got a ball signed by Jim Abbott. One of my best early Yankees memories.

4. OldYanksFan says:

According to the Baseball Cube (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/)

……………. pA – pB
    Speed….. 61 – 37
    Contact.. 37 – 58
    Patience. 48 – 44
    Batting… 59 – 79
    Power….. 75 – 65

Who looks better?
    Who are Players A and B?

5. jimmy james says:

I don’t know why, but I never really got into OTD and the festivities. However, I’m glad other people enjoy it.

• RetroRob says:

It helps to have a connection to the players, meaning they are ones you grew up and liked, and hopefully were part of some great teams.

When Mo, Jeter, Andy, etc. join Bernie and Jorge as regulars for OT’s day, more “recent” fans will probably get into the day.

6. Pat D says:

Graig Nettles
    Luis Sojo
    Darryl Strawberry
    Dwight Gooden
    Tim Raines
    Wade Boggs
    Sparky Lyle (has he ever returned?)
    Ed Figueroa
    Tommy John
    Mike Pagliarulo
    Ralph Terry
    Tony Kubek

and the persona(s) non grata:
    Roger Clemens
    Chad Curtis
    Jim Leyritz

The perverse side of me would like to see some of the guys from the late 80′s that I had way too many Topps cards of:
    Ron Kittle
    Dan Pasqua
    Gary Ward
    Claudell Washington
    Paul Zuvella
    Lenn Sakata
    John Candelaria
    Rick Rhoden

Anyone I’m forgetting from either list? Anyone else have any “perverse favorites” they’d like to see come back?

• Roadgeek Adam says:

Cecil Fielder is not here today.

• Henry Krinkle says:

Chicken Stanley, Don Slaught, Alfonso Pulido, Mike Stanton, Scott Brosius, David Weathers, Jimmy Key , and Kevin Maas are some who aren’t there,granted Pulido is beyond obscure. Mel Hall is probably a persona non grata guy.

• Henry Krinkle says:

Bob Watson, Steve Sax, Melido Perez, and John Wetteland also aren’t there. I suppose they can forgive Jack McDowell for the bird and hai crappy pitching.

• Pat D says:

Those are all good names. Pulido definitely obscure. I said Brosius. Sax coaches for Arizona, as does Don Baylor. Hall’s definitely persona non grata. I don’t think things ended well between Watson and the team. Can’t believe I forgot Stanton.

Rey Sanchez, Mariano Duncan, Ruben Sierra, Tony Clark, Karim Garcia (who? says Pedro Martinez and Kevin Millar)…

Jose Cardenal and Tony Cloninger as former coaches.

Oh, duh. Where are you, Mr. Torre????

• Henry Krinkle says:

Sorry, I skipped over Brosius on your list . Forgot about Sax in Arizona. Where’s Steve Trout? He was supposed to win Lou the pennant.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Wow. Pulido. Came up when Tommy John got injured right? Actually, I remember him more from the year he went 17-3 for the Mexico City Diablos Rojos. Arriba Mexico Cabrones!

• Henry Krinkle says:

I don’t remember why he came up. I do remember he threw a screwball, but luckily at the young age I didn’t delude myself into thinking he was another Valenzuela. He pitched maybe one good game against the Red Sox in long relief , but Don Zimmer, the 3rd base coach waved a couple of runners into outs and hey lost that one. I love useless information.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I always thought he’d be something.

• Mikhel says:

Yep, if I remember correctly, Pulido was promoted when Tommy got injuried, he was OK in relief but of course he was not Al Pulido (RIP).

• Mikhel says:

OOPS meant to say “he was not Antonio Pulido (RIP)”, Antonio was a very very good mexican closer who died in 2004.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Why are those three unwelcome?

• Jimmy says:

Don Baylor, Ed Figueroa, Jimmy Key?

7. Jimmy says:

Gary Sheffield is definitely someone who needs to play in the OTD game sometime soon.

8. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Nova for Thomas Neal?

9. Pasqua says:

Anybody know how Gene Monahan is doing health-wise? Things seemed pretty dire a while back, but he looks great! Anybody know?

• RetroRob says:

I think he’s fine. Still not sure what type of cancer he had (and I’m not even sure it was cancer), but he came back and worked after he recovered and seems fine whenever we see him pop up now.

He never really talked about is, so no way of knowing for sure.

10. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Counter-opinion to Mike: Been to Old-Timer’s Day once. Not worth the bloated ticket cost. Frankly, it was a bit of a disappointment. They stand there and wave, and honestly we haven’t had somebody REALLY fun for years, like a Joe D or a Mickey.

Things will get a lot cooler when Jeet and Mo start showing up for massive five minute standing ovations again. As of now? Half-hearted applause for each old-timer as they wave their cap around . Kind of boring.

• trr says:

There used to more grandeur some years ago when more of the legendary names were still around. I suppose that aura will be pased on to Jeter , Mo, et al. It means a little more the older you get. At worst, it’s harmless nostalgia…but that OTD game…I just can’t watch it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh man.. Disagree completely. Maybe my favorite non-playoff moment of the year.

I missed the intros. Already have the replay set to record.

• RetroRob says:

My guess is they will replay the intros at some point this evening. I remember I missed OT’s day last year and caught the player introductions in the evening.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

It’s more fun on TV when you could hear what they’re saying.

11. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

To answer the Sparky questions: He’s managing a small team in a professional league that I would guess is a rough equivalent to AA in NJ (fun fact: Craig Nettles’ son, Jeff Nettles, plays for Sparky’s team). He’s probably busy.

By all accounts I’ve seen he’s enjoying himself tremendously, and is probably the team’s biggest draw.

I love Sparky. I actually was impressed when reading “The Bronx Zoo” about his attitude towards Goose. He really took the high road there, and he became a tutor for him. He also made no bones about the fact that by 78′ he had declined big time, something else that impressed me.

Great book.

• Pat D says:

I went to one of those games where Lyle manages, it was like 10 years ago, got him to sign a cap of his team for me. Seemed like he was a bit annoyed at the moment because it was somewhat during the middle of the game, but that was when a friend of a friend of mine who worked at the park got me that chance to go down there.

I’ve always meant to read his book.

12. WhittakerWalt says:

Hey did anyone see yesterday when Almonte forgot how many outs there were? He caught the third out of the inning, then made like he was going to throw back in to the infield. Then and only then he realized the inning was over, and ran off the field.

Now remember, guy not realizing how many outs there are = GET HIM OFF THE TEAM. His head’s clearly not in the game.

13. The Real Greg says:

Pinella to Cano: Son, you need to learn to take a pitch….

• Dalek Jeter says:

Really Greg? the day after he went 1-1 with 4(!!!!) unintentional walks?!

• The Real Greg says:

That thought did cross my mind. But Lou don’t care.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Cano career BB% – 5.8% (10% this year)
          Piniella career BB% – 5.8%

• The Real Greg says:

I thought Cano had been walking a bit more this year.

And as for Piniella I doubt he practiced what he preaches.

• Pat D says:

I think there’s a passage in Olney’s book where he talks about O’Neill’s days in Cincinnati and said that Piniella drove O’Neill insane. Piniella couldn’t understand why O’Neill didn’t hit more home runs. So the one year O’Neill changed his approach he hit 28 home runs but only batted .256.

Piniella didn’t really let O’Neill just develop naturally the way the Yankees let him.

14. The Real Greg says:

By the way, out of curiosity, what is the Yankees record on OTD?

15. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

So who would the callup be if Nova is demoted after the game?

16. Roadgeek Adam says:

Bucky Dent barely missed a home run last year. Makes up for it?

17. Roadgeek Adam says:

Old Timer’s Walk-off?

18. The Real Greg says:

That’s a nice play.

19. Robinson Tilapia says:

Balboni not even trying out there. That’s why my dad never liked him.

20. Robinson Tilapia says:

El Duque pulling the old WWE “you call that competition?! Give me some competition or I’m not leaving!”

21. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d actually like for life to turn out in a way where Clemens gets to go out there and pitch on OTD. I’d like a happy enough ending there.

22. RetroRob says:

Bernie looks like he’s finally accepted retirement, judging by the extra weight he’s packed on over the past year.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Funny how quickly that happens sometimes.

On the other hand, Roy White’s been out of baseball for 30 years and looks like he could take anyone here at a 5K.

• RetroRob says:

As it is for all of us (not just athletes), keeping the weight off goes a long way. White, Guidry, Randolph all seem like themselves, obviously just older. Some players are unrecognizable!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s like I walked outside after my son was born and there was 15 lbs. waiting for me.

• RetroRob says:

15 can easily become 30 or 40 over a few years. I carried 30+ pounds after the birth of my daughter. I finally shed it after she went off to college. I jokingly blame her, but it was all me. It is more difficult with kid or kids, less free time, worse sleeping schedule, more stress, etc.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Absolutely. I’m not quite sure how it happened. Just not as much time to make smart eating decisions, lack of sleep, etc. Still went to the gym the entire time. Just lacked the energy to go the extra mile sometimes.

Getting easier, though. I think I’ll successfully avoid getting into that range. Would love to get back to where I was, though. Worked my ass off to get there because I knew it’d get harder later.

23. nycsportzfan says:

Im starting to get alittle bitter watching Austin Jackson these days..lol

24. nycsportzfan says:

Tigers got 1st and 2nd no one out with Cabrera against a Lefty right now..lol And a 2-0 count. How’d you like to be Doubront right now??lolo

25. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d love one of these Flaherty-mikes on Austin Romine one game.

“Shit! Oh shit! Where’s the ball?! Wow, that was fast,” and so on.

26. Robinson Tilapia says:

The one time I went to OTD, my in-laws got us seats in the 400 level, which means we were murdered by the sun for about six hours before Jeff Karstens blew the regular game in extras, which is why I will NEVER forgive Jeff Karstens.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I’ve been to three Yankee games ever. The first was the third game of walk-off weekend in 09′ (Johnny Damon HR), which was awesome. The second game was the 2011 OT day game. A.J. Burnett got creamed. Not so awesome. The third game was last year in September when Phil Hughes pitched us to a 2-1 win highlighted by a Cano game-saving leaping catch and a huge ovation for a recently revitalized Jeet every time he came up. IT was awesome.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There was one season, back when I really did go 10-12 times a year (pre-kid) in which I could swear Darrell Rasner started EVERY time.

• Dalek Jeter says:

It’s amazing you can remember the games you went to, I’ve been blessed to go to a bunch of games in my life…and I remember a handful, the one that really sticks out in my mind though was the game after the 15 inning epic against the Sox that Alex one with a walk off, because before the season I was buying a couple games from a dude that had season tickets and had a choice between those two and took the day after.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I can’t remember games. I can remember moments, though.

I had to have been to a game or two as a kid, but the earliest I can remember was an Al Leiter, before the Barfield trade, start.

Only game I’ve been to since 2012 has been a Met game. Just wow. Maybe by September, we can get away with my boy roaming the concourses and stuff at YS3. Probably not a whole lot of sitting around. We’ll probably get the luxury suite invite to Citifield before the season ends again, and I’ll take that in a heartbeat.

• RetroRob says:

I have difficulty remembering the complete games, but I do remember snippets that happen in the game, but in most cases I don’t remember the entire game unless it was something special. I remember being at David Cone’s perfect game. I remember being at the game Barry Bonds broke the career HR record because it was a total fluke I was there, to this day the only time I’ve been in that park.

In another category is me wondering if I was actually at a game, or if in time I’ve come to believe I was at a game. For example, the infamous one where Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra were tagged out at home plate on a single play. I was sure I was there, but as time went on and I saw the replay so many times on TV, I began to wonder if I actually was there. I went back and checked my tickets (I’ve kept every one), and sure enough I did find the ticket for that game.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I have the same thing with Paul O’Neil’s 1000th RBI game. I swear I was there as a kid. I remember seeing the graphic on the scoreboard, and sitting like right there on the 3B line. But if I was there I was like 8 at the time and my dad doesn’t ever remember sitting field level on the 3B line.

27. RetroRob says:

Building off Pat D’s question at the top of the thread, my guess is we will see Mo at OT’s day pretty much immediately. He won’t be walking away from the game with doubts on his return, he doesn’t seem to have a negative reaction to the term “retirement,” basically at peace with is decision. That might encourage Posada to join next year’s OT game, and if Andy retires after this year, we could very well see four of the Core Four +1 group next year, with only Jeter watching on in horror knowing his time is coming soon!

I’m not so sure.

I always think there’s a couple of years gap before a guy comes back. Who came back immediately in recent memory?

I’m fine with him not returning for a couple of years. Let us miss him. I can’t wait to see Jorge out there, when it’s his time.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t disagree with any of that. In fact, in most cases I do think players wait a few years. Yet Mo’s mindset on this seems very different than most players, so I could see him coming back, which might encourage his other retired teammates to return.

I’m not rooting for any one scenario. Frankly, I’d like for Pettitte finish strongly enough that he decides to return. They are going to need arms.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I still really want the core 4 to all wait until Jeter retires and then come back the following year. That’d be so fucking cool.

• Pat D says:

2018: 20th year anniversary of the greatest team ever. EVERYONE MUST BE THERE!! Players and coaches.

Sadly, not Hideki Irabu, and yes, I mean that sincerely.

• Cuso says:

He might give it one year for Posads’s sake. The retired guys make a big deal about how long they wait, so it’s a balance between not wanting to be “an old-timer” vs. The first time they come back the spotlight and fuss is about them. If Mo comes back next year it would overshadow Midge’s return.

28. Dalek Jeter says:

Hopefully Archer spends a very short day in the Danger Zone.

29. PFOJ says:

The Blue Jays are up 4-0. Their winning streak is the worst thing ever, I was enjoying their faceplant way too much for it to end like this.

30. SDB says:

Toronto off to a 5-0 lead, in the mean time. They’re scaring me right now. But at least Baltimore’s not gaining ground.

31. The Real Greg says:

Still can’t locate his fastball

32. Travis L. says:

OMG. Sweaty Freddy is getting absolutely HAMMERED!!! I bet he wishes he was in the hotel room getting hammered right about now.

33. SDB says:

Nice of Tampa to give up an out like that. Clearly they forgot that with Nova, a base hit usually is followed by an extra base hit.

34. Cy Pettitte says:

some old Nova

35. The Real Greg says:

Actually that was a good pitch. Zobrist just served it to left

36. The Real Greg says:

He’s probably a AAAA pitcher right now.

37. WhittakerWalt says:

That was fast.

38. Cy Pettitte says:

Hopefully they can be patient. Archer 6.4 BB/9.

39. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Please don’t sac here.

40. Cy Pettitte says:

what a ridiculous bunt. why are they playing for one run right now?

41. nycsportzfan says:

Are u kidding Ichiro? Jeez!

42. The Real Greg says:

Good idea, shit execution.

43. Anderson Silva says:

how did gardner get to second there?

44. Jorge Brosada says:

Seriously, Ichiro?

45. Anderson Silva says:

fucking ridiculous.. the guy is already at second, why bunt?

46. nycsportzfan says:

Come on Robbie! This is the perfect guy to take deep, it would seem. A young righty who throws hard and has tome time locating.

47. Pat D says:

O’Neill can’t say “YES-view” too easily.

48. The Real Greg says:

Now that I think about it, probably not a good idea to bunt there.
    The key being the runner was at second already.

And the bunt is negated by the passed ball.

• Dalek Jeter says:

How? It’s still giving up an out. and (if you scream fallacy I will kill you) if Ichiro gets on and Cano hits that sack fly there’s one out, tied game, and a runner on at least second.

49. Pat D says:

Archer seems to have command issues.

50. Anderson Silva says:

Cano is having a good AB

51. The Real Greg says:

And in the end the questionable bunt decision will go by the books because they scored a run there, at least to the outlets.

52. Robinson Tilapia says:

How’d we get/give up the run, non-Greg version?

• Dalek Jeter says:

Give up run: Single, bunt for a hit turned sacrifice, single (run scores), double play

Get run: Gardner Single advance to second on error, failed sac bunt by Ichiro, 3rd on Wild pitch, Sac fly to the wall by Cano.

• The Real Greg says:

Gardner singled went to second on error
      Ichiro tried to bun and failed.
      Passed ball moved Gardner to third
      Cano sac fly.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That was actually a non-Greg version.

That’s why I like you in the end. You’re in on the joke.

• Pat D says:

I told Ichiro he should have just baked a regular loaf of bread instead of the bun.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I love a good dim sum steamed pork bun.

No, that has nothing to do with Ichiro and being Asian and whatnot. Just stating preferences.

Yea……

In other food news, how’s work on the taco stand coming?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There would be worse things for a guy approaching the beginning of mid-life crisis to think about than opening a taco stand.

• Pat D says:

An uncle of mind has been building a hot dog cart.

No, really.

If you do open a taco stand, it has to be only fish tacos.

Mine, not mind. Dammit.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

As nice as the thought of it would be, I am not enough in the mood to throw thousands upon thousands of dollars at the wind in order to enter the food business.

I do fantasize about it from time to time, as I do making millions as a spin instructor. Anything with less stress and office politics. Of course, there’s that money thing. Damn.

We’d serve esoteric tacos, though, and there would DEFINITELY be a Texas-style breakfast taco.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Also, all our chiles would be from New Mexico.

• Pat D says:

Watching so many episodes of Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant Impossible has both made me want to run a restaurant and realize that it’s the dumbest fucking thing in the world to do.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Two friends of mine run a very successful restaurant here in Brooklyn. It took a serious of amount of hard work and luck to get off the ground, as well as superhuman number of hours put into being at work because they couldn’t trust managers, etc., that still continues to this day, six years later.

In the time, I’ve seen spots around here where money’s gone into multiple places that have gone belly-up within a year.

It’s a fantasy I share as well, but no thanks.

• Pat D says:

Not being able to find a trustworthy manager has to be extremely frustrating.

I’m sure that pretty much necessitates them managing themselves more or less.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Will you be serving any microwave burritos?

And if so, why isn’t mine ready yet?

• SDB says:

Steamed pork buns are awesome. Pork soup dumplings are pretty great as well.

Now I’m craving both.

53. nycsportzfan says:

Nice AB by Pronk! Base Knock!

54. nycsportzfan says:

25 1st inn pitches for Archer. I love it!

55. Anderson Silva says:

I don’t get people’s love for Overbay. Dude has a sub .300 OBP.

• The Real Greg says:

Clutch RBIs early in the season.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Exceeded expectations of him. That’s about it.

I do appreciate what he’s done but, no, I’m not going to blow smoke up his ass about it.

• Pat D says:

A few big hits >>> bad OBP.

Until the big hits dry up and people start noticing the lack of production.

• nycsportzfan says:

Most of that love was for his 1st part of the yr. Obviously, the love affair has shrunk some. But still, hes done well overall for us.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

More to do with excitement over Tex getting back, I think. Now that he’s gone, I feel resigned to liking Overbay again.

56. Dalek Jeter says:

So, off topic, but yesterday my job got these badass E-Cigarettes that are basically vaporizers that takes flavored water infused with nicotine and vaporizes it. My boss convinced me to try one, I haven’t had a real cigarette since yesterday, meanwhile had a very stressful afternoon yesterday.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That’s why their good. They’re a good gateway away from them altogether. Hope it works out!

“They’re.”

I read that first sentence quickly and almost accused this of being a fake comment. :)

57. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, that was filthy slider by Nova!

58. WhittakerWalt says:

“I thought CC pitched very well”

- John Sterling, who thinks the grand slam kinda sorta shouldn’t count I guess.

• The Real Greg says:

I don’t blame CC for that. Gardner should have either gotten it or not knocked it into the stands.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Counting on your outfielder to make an outstanding play-of-the-year type play to bail you out is asking for quite a lot.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

It would have taken an incredible play to catch it.
        If he hadn’t touched it, it would still have been at least a 3-run double (and possibly a Grand Slam anyways)

• WhittakerWalt says:

Aren’t you the same guy who says if our pitcher doesn’t hold the opposition to 2 runs then he’s failed? Keep your stories straight.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I agree with him, though. It was one bad pitch.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Yeah but he made the pitch. Don’t we always say that it all counts?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Right, but I’m still not going to put more amount of weight at a bad, but well-intended, pitch thrown at an inopportune time. I thought he looked good for the grand majority of the game.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Two thinks:

1. I think the fact that we came back to win is giving people a lot more positive feelings about CC’s outing, even though the one has nothing to do with the other.

2. I think the fact that it’s CC means people give him more slack because CC’s just so likable. I bet if it had been Hughes and he’d given up the exact same amount of runs and exact same hit, many fewer people would be going with the “eh, those were fluky runs” explanation.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think you’re just as guilty at looking at the box score there, though, than the “two runs in blah innings blah blah quality start blah” folks by saying that, though.

I thought he had better command. I thought that, while it wasn’t vintage CC, if that even exists anymore, he did get that fastball by a few times. I also do give him a ton of slack when he gives the team distance – guilty as charged there. Not going to show up in the box score.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It’s just that we’re basically saying if the ball had gone a foot further then it would have been a “legitimate” homer but as it stands this one really wasn’t. A foot, which probably translates to a micrometer different pitch location. I just don’t think that adds up to “he pitched very well.”

59. nsalem says:

Forcing an inexperienced pitcher to try to pick up a bunt at the beginning of a game and try to make a play on one of two very speedy runners isn’t the worst idea in the world. There could have many good outcomes from such a scenario. Rookie’s are often error prone. I don’t know anything about Archer’s fielding skills, but most likely Girardi does.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I just think it’s a bad idea to give a guy who averages 5+ BB per 9 free outs. Make him throw pitches and get you out.

• nsalem says:

I don’t believe in giving away outs either. Maybe he’s a terrible fielder and they were creating a situation where they could force an error. Maybe Ichiro didn’t think he could pull his fastball and
        advance him on a grounder to the right side and felt more comfortable bunting then going to left field.

60. Dalek Jeter says:

“Ichiro back on the track, it hit wall. One bounce.”-John Sterling

61. JobaWockeeZ says:

Fly balls, fly balls everywhere. Hope we have a quick hook today.

62. Eddard says:

Nova needs to throw that breaking ball more with 2 strikes. Not that FB he threw to Molina. Phil Hughes should be taking notes on how to finish hitters with that curve.

63. RetroRob says:

Sunscreen Day? Are we at that level now?

How about Flat-Screen TV Day? Come on Panasonic. Step up to the plate.

• Pat D says:

I’m going on August 9th against the Tigers. Apparently it’s Budweiser Mug Night. Hope I’m one of the first 18,000!

64. The Real Greg says:

Weird that it seems that when Jose Molina left the Yankees he became a slightly better hitter

.249/.305/.370 with 18 homers and 67 RBI’s in the 4 seasons after leaving the Bronx.

65. Pat D says:

That inning summed up Nova pretty good. Two really good strikeouts, wiped out the guys with breaking balls, then gives up two deep fly balls.

• Bo Knows says:

which is funny considering his fastballs have good movement, and he has strong GB%.

His command (specifically fastball command) is just shit

• Mikhel says:

I would not dare to say he has command on the fastball, most of the time he seems to just throw it to see what will happen.

I would rather have Chien Ming Wang pitch this game instead of Nova, but then again, the Yankees “didn’t need” him.

• Pat D says:

Will you say this in two weeks if Wang gets destroyed in his next few starts?

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

There is probably no scenario where Wang would be pitching this game instead of Nova.
          He either would have been the long man in the pen, already in the rotation, or in Toronto.

66. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Smart slide…lol.

67. nycsportzfan says:

nice barehanded play by robbie on the knubber.

68. Eddard says:

Well I’ve seen enough. Nova should take Phil Hughes’s spot in the rotation effective immediately. With as much as Nova struggled earlier this year his ERA is now 4.91 , well below Hughes’s 5.09. Nova just has a better put away pitch than Hughes who has none.

69. The Real Greg says:

Stewie’s starting to falter offensively, probably expectedly.

70. Pat D says:

I think I saw earlier today that 2008 had the most attendees for OTD. Being that I knew that was the last in YS2, I put in a Word doc who attended.

Damn, that was an impressive collection. Some of whom have since, sadly, passed on.

• Kramerica Industries says:

As much as we rip on ESPN for their shoddy baseball coverage, I think we all need to remember what they did on 9/21/2008 and give them serious credit for it.

They handled the closing of Yankee Stadium beautifully.

71. nycsportzfan says:

Gardy is nasty!

72. Pat D says:

Shit, Gardner would have had a triple if that bounced off the wall.

73. Anderson Silva says:

bad luck.. that was a sure triple

74. RetroRob says:

Ball is totally carrying out to right and center today. No excuse for Balboni, though!

75. nycsportzfan says:

I remember when blow sox went hard for Bern during 98 FA period. Never doubted he’d be back.

76. RetroRob says:

Should have sacrificed!

77. The Real Greg says:

With 2 outs, I don’t know why Maddon’s walking him.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Runs count the same with 2 outs as with fewer outs.
      It probably makes more sense with 2 outs than otherwise, as there is less chance of creating a big inning.

78. Anderson Silva says:

Hafner needs to step up big time.

79. Jimmy says:

Willie Randolph in the booth. One of my all-time favorites.

80. Pat D says:

Just remember, according to Bill James, Willie Randolph was a better player than Bill Mazeroski.

And a few other HOF second basemen.

• RetroRob says:

It’s better to be recognized as being the best at one specific skill than being good to very good across a number of skills. Maz may have been the best defensive 2B’man ever, but Randolph delivered more overall value. An underrated player.

• Pat D says:

Exactly. But in James’ New Historical Baseball Abstract published after the 2000 season (I’d love to see an update to that), he did a breakdown between what was more valuable: Randolph’s ability to take a walk against Mazeroski’s ability to turn the DP.

He concluded that the walks led to more runs for Randolph’s teams than Maz’s DP’s saved for his.

• Jimmy says:

Willie is a very underrated player. Great career.

• Dalek Jeter says:

He does have more fWAR. (12th all time, 63.8)

• WhittakerWalt says:

He definitely was.

81. Pat D says:

Willie’s wrong. Only 6 ASG. The last one was in 1989, after he left the Yankees and joined the Dodgers.

Interestingly enough, the guy who he replaced with the Dodgers and replaced him with the Yankees, Steve Sax, also made the 1989 ASG.

• Jimmy says:

How can Willie talk about the greatest players he ever played with and not even mention Mattingly or Winfield. You can argue Henderson, but those guys have to be in the conversation.

• Dalek Jeter says:

You apparently weren’t here last week when we were talking about “most overrated Yankee,” both those guys were on the list.

• Jimmy says:

You’re kidding me, right?

• Pat D says:

I started that discussion. I was saying Mattingly out of a combination of jealousy (always liked Winfield better, hate how he’s not held in the same esteem in Yankee-land) and that they never actually won anything during Mattingly’s time.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Well when put in the conversation with all time greats like Joe D, Mick, Yogi, Babe, Lou, ect it’s sort of understandable.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Mattingly is pretty overrated, unfortunately. He was incredibly awesome for a few years, then barely even replacement level for the rest of his career. Most of us prefer to remember him at his best and act like that’s who he was for his whole career.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Barely even replacement level?
            That’s a bit skewed.

• Pat D says:

Averaged 1.5 bWAR from ’90-’95.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Right. That’s closer to average than replacement level.
                And really, he was bad in 1990 and 1995, but mostly solid in between. (2.35 bWAR average 1991-94)

Well apart from his 6year peak from ’83-89 his highest fWAR is 2.9

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

That’s considerably above replacement level.
                Really only in 1990 and 1995 was he close to replacement level (slightly below in both years).

• Pat D says:

He basically had 4 very good/great years, 2 good years, and a lot of mediocre ones to finish his career.

It was the back problems, of course, but it does end up being a case of very short peak and not a ton of longevity.

I was surprised to see that BRef rates him negatively on defense, too. Same with Winfield.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I don’t know how they could possibly rate him negatively on defense. I still don’t believe defensive metrics are accurate.

• Pat D says:

I think he was just putting over Rickey more than anything else.

And Rickey WAS better overall than Mattingly and Winfield.

• Jimmy says:

Not for the Yankees he wasn’t. Career-wise, I can’t argue. Henderson had some great moments with the Yankees but he wasn’t Don Mattingly.

• Pat D says:

Well, yea. Henderson actually had better WAR than Mattingly in 1985, FWIW.

• Jimmy says:

Agreed. But in ’86 Mattingly 7.2 to Henderson’s 6.2 and in ’87 it was 5.1 to 4.7. Granted Henderson went nuts in ’85 at 9.9 to 6.7 an ’88 6.3 to 3.8. Can we agree they were both great?

I have to grant you that I din’t realize what a monster year Henderson had in ’85. That must have been a horrible pitching staff that year between Rickey, Winfield and Mattingly.

• Pat D says:

Guidry and pretty much the entire bullpen was great. The rest of the rotation was league-average (Phil Niekro, Joe Cowley, Dennis Rasmussen) or worse (Eddie Whitson).

But they might have lost the division simply by giving 11 combined starts to Marty Bystrom and Joe Niekro. They both pitched to ERA’s between 5.50 and 6.00.

Remember they were only 2 games behind Toronto at the end of the year.

82. Eddard says:

I just don’t know how anyone can argue that Hughes is a better option than Nova at this point. Nova has put away pitches. People commented that he gave up a couple deep fly balls. That’s all Hughes does is give up fly balls. This isn’t a competition between Nova and Whitey Ford. It’s Nova against Hughes and Nova is the better pitcher right now.

83. nsalem says:

Surprised Willie conceded that the 98 Yankee’s were better than the 78 team. if you go position by position you have a lot of interesting conversation.

84. Pat D says:

My guess: DiMaggio, Mantle, Yogi, Rizzuto, Johnny Mize.

85. JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh you suck YES.

86. Robinson Tilapia says:

My son wakes up from his nap, runs out, looks at TV playing Yanks – “BOOM!”

87. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

npoh

88. JobaWockeeZ says:

But yay Zolio.

89. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Z train just keeps on moving.

90. WhittakerWalt says:

Future Hall of Famer Chris Archer mowing them down.

91. Dalek Jeter says:

Come on baseball player time to do something to help the team win, like you every game except the last two and most other games this season

92. Dalek Jeter says:

Dude walks everybody, what are you doing swinging at a 2-0 that isn’t right down the middle?!

93. nsalem says:

Winfield, Henderson and Mattingly’s lifetime OPS’ are all practically the same between .827 and .830

• Pat D says:

Winfield has a very slight advantage in OPS+.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Mattingly and Henderson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Winfield, defensively.

Henderson>>>>>>>>(infinity) Winfield, and Mattingly, baserunning.

BRef dWAR numbers:

Henderson, -3.4
        Mattingly, -6.8
        Winfield, -23.7

I guess Winfield’s arm won him all those GG’s.

• Jimmy says:

Winfield had a cannon arm in case you never saw the guy play. I saw him once throw a strike to home plate from ~20 ft from the warning track. Barely any arc, 2nd base could have cut it off..

• Pat D says:

Winfield is my favorite all-time player, so, yea, I know about his arm. But that dWAR number implies he didn’t turn many balls into outs.

• Jimmy says:

Didn’t realize he was your favorite all-time player, sorry if I sounded condescending. Well chosen. I was a Mattingly guy, but you can’t go wrong with the contributions from Winfield. Conceded that he was more consistently great of the two.

Fangraphs fld’ing metric

Mattingly: 32
          Henderson: 63
          Winfield: -93

94. trr says:

David AAA-dams!

95. SDB says:

Adams. Sigh.

96. Anderson Silva says:

Nix, Adams and Stewart might be a worse bottom of the lineup than most NL teams

97. WhittakerWalt says:

So we have one walk off a guy who walks almost 7 per 9. Fuck.

98. Eddard says:

I’d move Zolio up to that 2 hole. He’s got all those lightweights hitting behind him.

99. The Real Greg says:

SO two pitchers with great stuff who have struggled were wild early and have settled down.

100. trr says:

He’s slow as shit down the line , too!
    God give me strength

101. Anderson Silva says:

5th inning is implosion time from Nova. 5 pitch walk to Molina is a good start

102. nycsportzfan says:

Fucking filthy by Nova to K joyce! Wowsers!

103. nycsportzfan says:

Tip your cap to jennings for that hit. Nova was pitching him great.

104. Anderson Silva says:

why the hell are they holding Molina close like that?

105. nycsportzfan says:

Nova has ACE stuff today. Simply disgustingly nasty!

106. Cy Pettitte says:

Can’t remember seeing Nova’s curve look better than it has today

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I seen it. This is like fool’s gold all i see is trade value going up.

107. Anderson Silva says:

filthy! his stuff is simply nasty. It’s a shame that he can’t locate his FB consistently

108. Eddard says:

7Ks , 1 ER through 5. Rotation going forward-

6/25 – Kuroda
    6/26 – Andy
    6/27 – BGDP
    6/28 – CC
    6/29 – Nova

109. Dalek Jeter says:

Hmm…Pineda’s probably a month away and by all accounts has looked pretty good in the minors. Maybe it wouldn’t be the worst idea to stick Hughes in the Pen and let Nova audition for a role as a starter until Pineda gets back….If Nova shits the bed, it won’t be much worse than what Hughes has done the last month and a half, and then we give his spot to Pineda. If he’s good, that’s a good problem to have and we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it?

110. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

wtp

111. Jersey Joe says:

I wonder if Z-Train has a remote chance of AL ROY. Nick Franklin and Leonys Martin are the two rookies with solid seasons so far. If ZTrain can stay on track (Pun completely intended), at least for the next 2 weeks, we might have us a rookie of the year.

112. Anderson Silva says:

is it at all possible to see JR Murphy in the show this season?

• RetroRob says:

Possible? Sure. He’s their AAA catcher. He’s a phone call away. He’s not on their 40-man roster and they no doubt want his development to continue, so it would take something bad for it to happen, but it is possible.

• trr says:

IMO, they will not promote him, unless further injuries leave no other choice

113. WhittakerWalt says:

OFFENSE PLEASE

114. nycsportzfan says:

Its amazaing that ichiro had the career he did with this swing.

• nycsportzfan says:

Speed is the answer(to answer myself..lol)

• Jersey Joe says:

Yeah seriously. To be honest, I feel like he should be more focused on making good contact with the ball at this point instead of trying to beat out infield grounders. He doesn’t have the speed he used to have, so taking away his “advantage” might not be such a big deal.

115. The Real Greg says:

Archer knows that this lineup has little pop so he can go right at them and it is reflected in his K/B ratio 46/28

116. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I so happy that I’m over the Hughes/Nova one game pipe dream these guys do this all the time and then the evil side comes out and it piss you off.

Thank you Mr. Nova for the nice game and raising your trade value have a nice day.

117. Rolling Doughnut says:

Great to see five strong innings from Nova.

118. Jersey Joe says:

As far as trade deadline goes, who are the sellers besides the obvious teams (Astros, Cubs, Twins, Mariners, Marlins, etc.).

Mets are obvious.

Other teams that look like they should sell are Phillies, Brewers, White Sox.

Still hard to read the Angels, Royals, Indians, Dodgers, Padres and Rockies.

119. The Real Greg says:

He was COMPLETELY FOOLED

120. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Not down the middle enough?

121. nycsportzfan says:

Cano looks blind at bat these days.

122. Dalek Jeter says:

Robbie, that was right down the middle according to Gameday, WTF?!

123. Eddard says:

Not sure what Robbie was looking for there. He’s fought off better pitches today.

124. The Real Greg says:

I guess Cano like everybody on here looked at that walk ratio and thought he would go wild.

125. BigBlueAL says:

Cano took 2 fastballs right down the middle that at-bat and both times acted like he thought the pitch was going to hit him in the leg. WTF??

126. Anderson Silva says:

couldn’t be anymore down the middle. This shitty version of Cano needs to go right now

127. yourmom says:

Right down the frickin pipe Robbie.

128. The Real Greg says:

Rays pulling out that BaBIP stick again

129. Anderson Silva says:

fuck.. this is probably the game if they score. Not looking good

130. The Real Greg says:

Pen is going to be warming right now

131. Dalek Jeter says:

Bullpen after this batter regardless of outcome please?

132. The Real Greg says:

Cano trusting the non speed of Molina

133. yourmom says:

Good job Nova!

134. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

lmao at Cano trolling Molina.

Nice job Ivan.

135. WhittakerWalt says:

Nitpick time:
    Ivan Nova’s name is pronounced “EYE-ven Nova” not “ee-VONN Nova.” I know this because Nova recorded a radio spot where he says his name. So why does every Yankee announcer mispronounce it? I would think Nova knows how to pronounce his own name.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Because “ee-VONN” sounds hispanic and “EYE-ven” sounds eastern European, and playing on stereotypes their brains subconsciously tell them it’s pronounced “ee-VONN.”

136. Eddard says:

No implosion. He’s a different pitcher. Hughes would have us down 5-1. I just don’t see how they can send him back down now.

137. nycsportzfan says:

Feeewww! Funny how cano played that..lol Smart also.

138. Anderson Silva says:

very fucking nice!

139. Rolling Doughnut says:

Thought the wheels were going to come off there. Way to go Nova.

140. WhittakerWalt says:

“And he hit a batter. He grazed David Wright…Adams…Jayson Nix.”

141. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Zoilo is raking!

142. Eddard says:

I’ll say it again, Zolio should be in that 2 hole. Now these lightweights are going to waste another one of his doubles.

143. yourmom says:

Zoh-lee-ohhhhhh!!

144. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Almonte likes the major leagues.

145. Dalek Jeter says:

Zoilo!!!!!!!!!

146. Rolling Doughnut says:

Zoilo!

147. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

ALL ON THE Z- TRAIN !!!

148. JobaWockeeZ says:

Slot this guy in for a spot in future old timer days.

149. ZoiloISGod says:

Unbelievable

150. yourmom says:

well, shit.

151. WhittakerWalt says:

Why do these moron announcers act as if this pitching performance by Archer is indicative of his true talent. ANYONE can pitch well against this lineup. Dillon Gee? Jeremy Bonderman?

• The Real Greg says:

Given the Rays history of producing pitchers and the fact that he was the second rated prospect in the system, you can say that.

152. Anderson Silva says:

It’s terrible ABs after terrible ABs. It will be a minor miracle if they can score again.

153. The Real Greg says:

I would move him past Overbay right now. I don’t a rookie hitting cleanup.

154. nycsportzfan says:

God damn it! Can any of these washed up vets get a hit? Zoilo and Gardner have all our offense just about today! Someones gotta step up with the youngsters on Old Timers Day!!!lol

• Dalek Jeter says:

“washed up” infers that guys like Overbay, Nix, Stewart were ever good.

• The Real Greg says:

Overbay was a good player with the Blue Jays.

Stewart and Nix, no.

• nycsportzfan says:

Overbay, Hafner, Ichiro, are all good career hitters for most part. Really just meant the “vets” in general though. We need a older soldier to step up!

• Dalek Jeter says:

Pronk and Ichiro I’ll give you, Overbay, at least for a first baseman was never really “good” with the exception of a 3 year period from 2004-2006. I’m not saying he was “bad” just that at his best he was “average.”

155. The Real Greg says:

If McGee is going to pitch, I would PH Wells for Stewart

156. yourmom says:

2 for 1?

157. Wheels says:

ouch

158. BigBlueAL says:

With the talk in the booth about the young SP’s, any word lately on Banuelos??

159. nycsportzfan says:

If Nova can get outta this and have gone 7inn of 1er, hes in the rotation. The stuff he had today was ace like.

160. The Real Greg says:

DAMMIT NOVA

161. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Nice game Sir.

162. yourmom says:

0-2 HBP. Frustrating. Oh well, Kelley to the rescue.

163. Eddard says:

That last HBP notwithstanding, Nova pitched a gem and deserves to stay in the rotation. I’d ride the hot hand in Nova until Pineda is ready to return. Hughes to the pen to take Joba’s innings.

164. Pat D says:

Nova did about all you could ask for, excepting those last two hitters.

Did I miss another impersonator?

165. Anderson Silva says:

can’t do that at 0-2 with Longoria on deck. Bad Nova there.

Great start though. Good job

166. TomH says:

Jays 13-5 today over the O’s. During the off-season, I received some sneering comments for calling them the creme de la creme of the AL East. Perhaps a bit hyperbolic. But it’s looking like only a “bit” at the moment.

Thank God, the Yanks don’t play them until August, when they may have a more Yankee-like roster. If they played them this week, there would need to be buckets and sponges galore, to soak up Yankee blood.

• Pat D says:

The Yankees have been able to score off them this year, so there’s that.

• Eddard says:

They’re a good team. Not sure why anyone would say any different. Hot right now but will eventually cool off. Rays will have their hands full against them this week.

167. The Real Greg says:

A cookie is now on the line

168. yourmom says:

I’d rather face Loney here anyways. LNOGY in.

169. Eddard says:

It’s all up to the LOOGY now. He needs to do his sole job and keep this game tied.

170. nsalem says:

doessnt the binder say Loney is hitting lefties much better than righties this year

171. Frank says:

Nothing like a 2 out, nobody meltdown. And Logan is the last person I want to see.

172. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m still pretty sure that Sterling just makes everything up except for the pitcher, hitter, and whether it’s a ball or a strike.

173. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Fuck Boone.

174. Wheels says:

Damn

175. Pat D says:

Motherfucker.

176. yourmom says:

Fucking A!!!!

177. fabricio says:

wow logan good job leaving it up in the zone

178. The Real Greg says:

FAILURE.

Have to blame on Nova for hitting those 2 batters.

179. nycsportzfan says:

Fucking loser logan!

180. Frank says:

Fuckin Logan. What a surprise.

181. Eddard says:

Such a bad pitch. And of course Boone’s ERA won’t be affected at all. He’s the Luis Ayala of this season.

182. Pat D says:

I know he hesitated to see if Nix would catch the ball, but Loney kind of pimped that hit.

183. Cy Pettitte says:

Joba in to put this game completely out of reach

184. Dalek Jeter says:

No cookies for you Boone!!

FUCK.

Suzyn just said Loney is hitting .353 against LHP this year. Great job w/ the match ups there Joe.

185. Rolling Doughnut says:

The obligatory cookie from Logan, and now heeeeeere’s Joba!

186. Pasta says:

Why is logan still on this team

187. Cy Pettitte says:

I like how Coney said Logan was one of the better lefty relievers in the league and then the next pitch Loney smacks up the middle for a 2 run single

188. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Well, here goes a already shaky game thread.

189. teddy says:

they need to blow this team up, this team is awful

190. Eddard says:

Nova gave us a gem today. The offense and Logan let him down. At least Nova gave us a chance to win. Something Hughes hasn’t done for quite some time.

191. Matt says:

Another brilliant managerial decision by Joe Girardi.

It doesn’t matter that Loney is a guy who hits to all fields, who actually hits lefties even better than righties. It doesn’t matter that Logan is a guy who has bad control and who has been hit harder by lefties than righties this season.

Just because a lefty is at the plate, he HAS to bring in a lefty pitcher.

Never mind that lefties are hitting just .196 against Kelley.

• The Real Greg says:

Kelley looked bad against Longoria.

• Matt says:

Umm, he was pitching him carefully with sliders… you have no idea how he would have done against Loney. But what I can tell you is that if I had to choose the pitcher who was most likely to get Loney out, it was a no brainer if the alternative was Boone Logan.

• The Real Greg says:

If Kelley had gotten out Longo, then Girardi wouldn’t have brought in Logan in the first place. Kelley had to know that if Longoria got on, he was going to be pulled.

• Matt says:

That’s ridiculous. Longoria is their best hitter. You don’t just put him on but you don’t just challenge him either. Girardi did not have to bring in Logan, but he chose to do so even though it made absolutely no sense.

The manager’s job is to put his players in spots in which they can succeed, and he once again completely failed to do that.

• Mike Axisa says:

Totally. Girardi is so stupid for hanging that two-strike slider.

• Matt says:

Which is why lefties are crushing Logan this year. Because he is making those mistake pitches very often. Because he is not very good, and never has been outside of the first season he was here.

Which is why he never should have been in the game in the first place. Even a terrible pitcher could go up 1-2 on a hitter, but terrible pitchers are terrible precisely because they can’t finish hitters off.

• The Real Greg says:

And Kelley failed. He didn’t bring in Kelley just to walk Longoria. He has to get an out there to avoid Logan.

• Matt says:

No, really? Would you rather he threw Longoria fastballs down the middle and gave up a 3-run HR?

His goal is to not make a mistake and give up a run. A walk is not ideal but it keeps you in a situation in which you can still escape the inning.

It made no sense to bring in Logan over Kelley there. It is an indefensible move, unless you throw away every number and argue on blind faith that because he is a lefty pitcher he can get out a lefty hitter.

• Mikhel says:

I am tired of situational pitching, either a pitcher can get ANYONE out, lefties AND righties or they shouldn’t have a place in a roster.

192. Anderson Silva says:

once again we are left wondering why have a LOOGY who can’t retire lefties? Only in a Brian Cashman team.

193. The Real Greg says:

HE HIT THE BATTERS THOUGH MIKE

194. yourmom says:

Whoa, Joba looking extra plump today.

195. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Game over. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t put another man on.

196. stuart a says:

stats can be misleading ie Logans.

When is the last time he got a big out??/ 0 an d2, what frigging joke. this also is not hindsight, once Cone spouting bull about 1 of the best lefties before the hit I almost what bananas.

2 hbp, and a walk… nice. same with Kelly when he starts getting high leverage outs start talking to me…

disgraceful offense par the course.. like the ichiro bunt in the 1st or the adams DP later on.

adams have a clue what a offspeed pitch is?????

197. nycsportzfan says:

If Joba didn’t suck so often, we’d of went to him over Kelley. Oh well, were still in this thing!

198. Pat D says:

Did anyone just see what happened in the Detroit/Boston game?

199. The Real Greg says:

Nova deserves every bit of this loss. You can’t hit back to back batters with 2 outs in front of the heart of their order. You can’t do it.

200. stuart a says:

what about suzyn and sterlings love affair with Nix.. the guy is 0 for 8 with the bases loaded. he is decent backup. another guy who leaves the zone and cannot hit an offspeed to save his life.

cano taking strike 3 right down the middle with a man on 2nd and moving his back leg out of the way like it was inside is the classic AB today…

201. Pat D says:

The Yankees start losing and then Matt and stuart show up.

Come on, guys, don’t be obvious.

• Matt says:

I can post here whenever I want. If you don’t want to comment on it, then skip it over instead of acting like a child. The irony is that people like you are the ones who unravel this place into a bunch of flame wars by attacking people for no reason other than that you disagree with them. Not the so called “trolls” that you think you are policing.

I don’t police anything.

And you have to admit that you only seem to post when things are going bad. A vast majority of your posts are during those times.

And in case you didn’t notice, I didn’t engage you. I just noticed you posted and commented about it. I didn’t attack your opinions, just that you were here when the score went sour.

If you think that’s flaming, so be it.

• Matt says:

So what? It doesn’t matter.

I don’t see any value in coming on here posting a bunch of one line posts when a guy hits a home run. I’d much rather be watching the game myself and enjoying what happened than walking over to my computer.

You mentioned me by name a few posts below mine and you think you didn’t engage me. Hello?

• Pat D says:

I don’t want to get in a stupid pissing match with you. My point is that you don’t seem to come on here and post anything after wins. I honestly don’t remember seeing you post except during losses. OK? Just a personal observation.

To me engaging someone means directly replying to a post that person makes. Again, if that’s your definition of engaging, fine, so be it.

Don’t think that I’m trying to say you’re not entitled to enjoy the game however you want. I just wish you’d show up during wins so you don’t give off this impression that you just show up to bitch and say different variations of “This player sucks,” “Girardi made a bad move,” whatever.

You’ve said your piece, I’ve said mine. How about we agree to just go ahead and ignore each other for the sake of everyone, OK?

202. Dick M says:

Logan’s awful. Lefties hitting .280 off of him this year. That’s ridiculous for a loogy.

• stuart a says:

ask david cone he is 1 of the best lefty relievers in baseball. I like COne can’t believe that comment…

203. stuart a says:

of course I bitch when they lose. why would that be a shocker…

also scoring 1 run does not help…

also giving up 2 runs on 2 hbp, a walk, and a single on a 0 and 2 count, should I applaud that effort???

• Pat D says:

It’s not shocking, just annoying.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You show up when they lose, but at least I know you know your baseball when I read your comments. You’re also not here to try to start some bullshit pissing contest.

204. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

The sad thing is, most of the time I’d regret saying game over too early and write it off as a quick emotional reaction.

This time? No, I really think this game might as well be finished with a two run lead.

205. The Real Greg says:

And here come the trolls. What a brilliant 2 hours this has become

206. nycsportzfan says:

Stop trying to pull everything Adams!

207. Anderson Silva says:

that was one of the worse breaking balls ever, unfortunately he was pitching to Adams. He’s terrible

208. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Lol Kay, that wasn’t even close.

209. Cy Pettitte says:

Cashman should look into getting Scott Downs or maybe JP Howell at the deadline

210. stuart a says:

no clue on anything but a fastball. absolutely no clue…

211. nycsportzfan says:

Freaking Ibanez just cranked his 16th.

212. Dalek Jeter says:

I know Nova hit a few guys, and Logan allowed a hit to a LHH, but this game (if we lose) is on the offense. 1 run, 6 hits, and what 1 Walk(?) against across 6IP against a guy who goes an average of 5 innings and regularly walks 3+ guys over those 5 IP? Apart from Gardner and Zolio the team has 2 hits(!)

• The Real Greg says:

I understand that but you can’t hit 2 batters with 2 outs prior to the meat of their order.

And if Kelley doesn’t walk Longo, then Logan doesn’t come in in the first place.

• Mikhel says:

…and if they weren’t playing today, it wouldn’t have happened.

That makes no sense.

If the pitchers do their damn job, then he’s not put in that situation

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

So it the other pitchers do their job, Logan doesn’t have to do his job.

Got it.

Logan could also do his job, too.
            If Logan did his job, what the other pitchers did wouldn’t have mattered.

213. The Real Greg says:

So even the best lineup they put out there can look like crap. Ladies and Gentlemen, Brian Cashman’s folly, for relying too much on old players.

214. Mick taylor says:

Nix just sucks How many times this year has he come up like today with runners in scoring position and a chance to go ahead and he fails. He is also a shit fielder with no range. That ball by money should have been cauught

215. Mikhel says:

I heard something different, it seems Chiba Lotte’s offer is way bigger than any serious offer in the US.

216. nycsportzfan says:

If i was mcgee, i’d throw away away away to Ichiro.

217. Frank says:

Unlike Neal, Adams benefitting from the fact there is no one else to play 3B. Otherwise, his ass would be shipped out. He looks overmatched.

218. The Real Greg says:

And of course the Yankees hit the ball hard and they don’t fall in. Typical BaBIP Yankee hate

219. Anderson Silva says:

down 2 with 2 innings to go and Gardner doesn’t bat again. Game over.

220. Bo Knows says:

Get off you fuckin high horse, if “buying” a team was so easy then the Angels, Dodgers, Nationals, RedSox (prior to the Dodgers saving them), Cubs, Mets, Phillies, Miami, Blue Jays and a shit ton of other teams should be leagues better than what they are. Also what is “bought” is it only money? Do trades also count? Because the vast majority of the players in this league were used as currency to bring others, just as much there have been guys who have gone to FA.

221. Rolling Doughnut says:

For a really sweet bullpen fail, go over to the Sox-Tigers game.

• Dalek Jeter says:

god I hope we find a way to come back!

• Pat D says:

Should have seen the first play. Fly ball to Nava in right. He catches it, then drops the ball transferring it to his hand. The umpires ruled that he didn’t catch it. If you see the replay, you’ll probably agree that it was a terrible call.

222. Bryan says:

Did I miss something? When did the RAB comments section become equivalent to the ESPN Yankees forum in regards to incredibly stupid comments and absurd hyperbole?

223. The Real Greg says:

This division is really mediocre right now, and the Blue Jays are taking advantage.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

If by mediocre, you mean toughest in baseball, then yes.

• The Real Greg says:

I mean the division has allowed the Blue Jays to win 10 in a row to crawl back into it.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

8 of the 10 (11 now) wins came against non-division teams. How did the division cause/allow that?

• The Real Greg says:

By not taking care of their own business so that those wins would not gain any ground.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

In what world is an 11-game win streak not going to gain any ground?

1998 AL East
                1984 AL East
                2001 AL West

But seriously, it’s going to gain some ground but not the amount it should have if all these teams are playing well.

• TomH says:

You have this completely backwards. Everyone in the baseball business except a majority of RAB posters knew the Jays had made a potentially season-changing trade. It took them 2-2 1/2 mos. to jell, and now they have. If their pitching comes around, it’s not out of the question that they could ice the AL East by mid-September.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

This is completely untrue. The majority of posters realized it. The majority of posters also understand that potentially doesn’t mean definitely.

And that is still in question.

The 2012 Marlins say hello

• Jim Is (not) Bored says:

TomH is BACK everyone! Resident Jays fan is pretty excited right now.

• Matt says:

Only because there are no bad teams. It doesn’t mean that any of them are very good though.

If the Yankees had their full lineup together, I’m pretty sure they’d be doing just what Toronto is doing right now. There is no real powerhouse in the AL East right now. If the Yankees were hitting like they did in April, they’d be running away with this.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Going into today the first place team had a better record than every first place team but the NL Central. And they have no sub-500 teams. How is that mediocre?

• Matt says:

Comparing records across divisions makes no sense with an unbalanced schedule. Boston might be the 4th best team in the AL right now behind Detroit, Texas, and Oakland. Each of the teams in the AL East has crippling flaws right now.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

They do. So do most other teams. It’s easier to compile a better record with weak teams in the division (like every non-AL East division. That makes the accomplishments of the AL East teams even more impressive (and completely non-mediocre).
              That Detroit, Texas, and Oakland all have worse records despite playing in weaker divisions is a pretty good indication they haven’t been better than Boston. Obviously that can change. (Detroit has definitely underachieved so far).

• Matt says:

The AL Central is weak, but the AL West has the Angels, who are still tough even though they underachieving, and Seattle, which has a lot of good young players and Felix Hernandez. The AL East may be the toughest division simply because it doesn’t have a Minnesota or Houston to beat up on, but it doesn’t mean that it has the best teams in the league. None of the teams in the AL East is good enough to run away with the division even though most of the teams in it are hovering around .500.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Want to rethink that one Greg?

224. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Can someone explain to me what’s the pleasure in waiting for the Yankees to be losing and then coming on here and making stupid statements?

Am I missing something? Why even waste the time?

225. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Can Shoppach or Hernandez really be worse?

226. Anderson Silva says:

worst catcher in the league back at it again.

227. yourmom says:

Jesus, Romine WTF?

228. Dalek Jeter says:

Wow, our defense first catcher. *shakes head*

229. The Real Greg says:

Get Murphy up here.

230. yourmom says:

Boston down 4-7 in the 9th. Victorino out with a back injury.

231. yourmom says:

Need to score here or else it’s the otome of the line-up vs arrow man.

232. The Real Greg says:

HOnestly, Cano.

233. Cy Pettitte says:

someone get on so Z can hit a 2 run HR

234. nycsportzfan says:

Canos bat is crazy slow right now.

235. Dalek Jeter says:

Singles by King Zolio and The Baseball Player followed by a walk off by the Usurper Vernon Wells.

If you push out positivity into the universe positivity will become you.
    /The Secret’d

236. yourmom says:

It’s okay guys. We’re just one runner and one swing away from tying the game. Oh wait, this isn’t the same offense we’ve had the last few years. We’re doomed.

237. The Real Greg says:

I know this offense only has scored 1 run, but this game should still be 1-1 right now. So frustrated at Nova because he pitched so well and hit 2 batters to unravel his day.

And no Paul, you don’t want Logan facing a lefty with the game on the line, which is why the other two had to do their jobs to avoid that situation.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

I personally think the score “should” be 15-0 Yanks.

• Matt says:

That stuff happens as a pitcher tires. Nova could have just as easily given up two ground ball singles to set up the same situation.

Nova did not allow those runs to score though. Boone Logan did when he hung a slider on a 1-2 pitch.

238. The Real Greg says:

AND ANOTHER PASSED BALL

239. yourmom says:

Romine fucking blows.

240. yourmom says:

Good talk coach.

241. Rolling Doughnut says:

Jeez Romine sucks

242. Pat D says:

Jeez, Kay you don’t even know anything about archery? The quiver is already out, you take the arrow out of the quiver!

243. trr says:

So does AAAdams

244. trr says:

Nix, Adams, Wells up this inning, game over

245. Anderson Silva says:

Benefit of the doubt for the fat prick

246. trr says:

That was inside on Z

247. trr says:

Too easy

248. trr says:

And the pride of Scranton strikes out to end it

249. Pat D says:

Eh, go fuck yourself, Rodney.

250. nycsportzfan says:

Adams is fucking pathetic! We have the worst right handed hitters in baseball history. (healthy)

251. The Real Greg says:

DOMINATION

And the game comes down to 2 hit batters…

That to me is more frustrating than the offense no show.

252. yourmom says:

Yeah, they had no chance that inning. Fuck Rodney and his dumb-ass arrows.

253. trr says:

Pathetic 9th inning.
    Enjoy your Sunday evening everyone!

254. Rolling Doughnut says:

A split with the Rays is not a terrible result.

255. stuart a says:

adams no idea on off speed pitches, none..

bottom line is 1 run the anamoly yesterday was just a blip, back to reality….

cano had a great AB in the 8th he is a true superstar, pay him else he will leave and we can’t let that happen…

logan is not and has never been very good… guy threw 2 nice sliders but could not throw 3, not a surprise. I call him bafoon logan, all sizzle but with the game on the line beware..

the ichiro bunt with garnder on 2nd if girardi asked for that is moronic, cannot believe he is that stupid.

comment of the day from COne, Logan 1 of the best lefty relievers over the last few years…Let those pearls of wisdom sep in…

256. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I’m shocked that 3 runs was literally more than enough to beat us. Shocked.

257. stuart a says:

it is like bailing out a ship with a little bucket..

cannot believe Pronk is this bad….

lucky suzyn and sterlings favorite nix is all over things at SS.. guy swings at a ton of fastballs out of the zone.

romine and the PB, what is up with that> I think the Claiborne pitch was a screw up on the signals….

258. WhittakerWalt says:

What a shit-show this was.

259. Jag says:

I was at the game, just got home… disappointing for sure because of the outcome but it was fun. Old timers day is special.