Nov

Cashman says Yankees “remain interested” in re-signing Granderson

Via George King: The Yankees still have interest in re-signing Curtis Granderson after he declined the $14.1M qualifying offer last week. “He is a serious part [of our offseason plan],” said the GM. “We remain interested. He is not a [fall-back] option.”

Granderson, 32, hit .229/.317/.407 (97 wRC+) with seven homers and eight steals in 245 plate appearances around his injuries this past season. Both the Mets and White Sox have expressed interest in him this winter and a multi-year contract seems likely. The Yankees know Curtis as well as anyone and could pencil him into right field on an everyday basis, so there’s an obvious fit. Assuming they won’t offer a huge contract to Shin-Soo Choo or Jacoby Ellsbury, Granderson and Carlos Beltran are the best available outfielders.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. help says:

Yankees are interested in a lot of free agents but seem to be sitting on their butts waiting while other teams make moves.

I’m interested in a 240 hitter with 200 strikeouts Go get em Cash! Don’t you remember this guy in 2012 playoffs? What he hit .30? Go get emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2. TWTR says:

I wish they could dump Wells/Ichiro and sign him to a two year deal.

3. Casey says:

Go get him, Cash.

4. Duke Silver says:

question: I can’t remember but how much do the Yanks owe Vernon Wells this season? Is it something like $1M? if so, are they just going to release him and does that have any effect on the $189M “goal”?

5. Darren says:

Which one do you go for out of the following? Assuming these are in the neighborhood of where they’ll sign.

Grandy for 4 years/$65mm
    Beltran for 3 years/$50mm
    Choo for 6 years at $95mm

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I don’t love any of those, but I’d probably take Choo with those contracts.
      Ideally, I’d rather talk Beltran down to 2 years though.

• mitch says:

That’s more than i’d give any of those guys, but if those were the only options i’d take Choo first followed by Grandy.

• Preston says:

I think you’re high on Grandy’s AAV and low on Choo’s. At that cost I’d probably take Choo. I think Choo’s contract is going to be more in line with Jason Werth money, 7/126. He hasn’t been as good as Werth was going into FA but he has a longer track record and was better last season, that and accounting for inflation probably puts them in the same general ballpark.

• MannyGeee says:

Gimme Grandy.

All three are flawed players, but I like Grandy’s durability better than Beltran (and I am a HUGE Beltran fan) and power more than Choo (who I am not a fan of)….

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Same order of preference you already listed them at. Not interested in a long contract to Choo.

6. Anthony says:

No thank you. Pass.

Go get Beltran or Choo.

7. Captain Turbo says:

Yes, sign Grandy. Best option out there.

8. Yankees fan says:

Dear cashman and yankees FO,

The offseason has started. Please sign some people now.

Much appreciated,

Yankees fan

9. Dick M says:

I think Beltran carries too much age-related injury risk. Choo will be expensive and too much of a commitment in terms of contract length. Grandy is the guy despite that horrific post-season (I think that was more slump-related than anything). An outfield of Sori, Gardy and Grandy is fine — lots of power and certainly enough defense and speed. I’d like a little better OBA but you could win with that outfield. And it buys us a year of developmental time with Slade, Wiliams and Austin with the idea that one of them replaces Sori in 2015.

At all costs, we need legit corner outfield production, no Ichiro/Wells.