Nov

Yankees acquire utility man Dean Anna from Padres; add six to 40-man roster

Anna. (Arizona Daily Star)

Anna. (Arizona Daily Star)

The Yankees have announced a series of roster moves. First, they have acquired IF Dean Anna from the Padres for Single-A reliever RHP Ben Paullus. Second, IF Corban Joseph has been outrighted off the 40-man roster. Third, they have added Anna, C Gary Sanchez, OF Slade Heathcott, RHP Jose Campos, RHP Bryan Mitchell, and RHP Shane Greene to the 40-man roster. Midnight tonight was the deadline to set the roster for next month’s Rule 5 Draft and all six players were eligible. There is still one open spot on the 40-man roster.

Anna, 26, hit .331/.410/.482 (140 wRC+) with nine homers and three stolen bases in 582 plate appearances for San Diego’s Triple-A affiliate this past season. He’s a left-handed batter with little power (.138 ISO in 1,339 plate appearances between Double and Triple-A) but a good idea of the strike zone (12.5% walks) and good bat control (11.9% strikeouts). Anna has a ton of experience at the two middle infield positions while also dabbling at third and in the outfield corners. I’m guessing the Padres didn’t have a 40-man roster spot for him and wanted to turn him into something rather than lose him for nothing in the Rule 5 Draft. Nifty little pickup for the Yankees, nice extra guy to have.

We heard Greene and Mitchell would be protected from the 40-man roster a few days ago. Sanchez and Heathcott were no-brainers but Campos was on the bubble as a 21-year-old who has never pitched above Low Class-A. He now has three years before running out of minor league options and having to stick in the big leagues for good. Joseph missed most of this season due to shoulder surgery and is really just a spare part for New York. He can hit a little but he doesn’t really have a position — he doesn’t have the range for second base or the arm for third. Not a surprise he cleared waivers.

The three most notable players the Yankees left exposed to the Rule 5 Draft are RHP Danny Burawa, RHP Tommy Kahnle, RHP Chase Whitley. The first two are hard-throwing relievers with questionable control (especially Kahnle) who spent last season with Double-A Trenton while Whitley is more of a command and control guy who spent the year at Triple-A Scranton. The Bombers tried to trade Kahnle for Michael Young and Alfonso Soriano at the trade deadline a few months ago, but no dice. Both he and Kahnle are very likely to be selected — hard-throwing relievers are the backbone of the Rule 5 Draft — and there’s even a chance both will stick in the big leagues next season. Most Rule 5 picks don’t, however.

Categories : Transactions

1. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

So with these 6 and Brendan Ryan, doesn’t that make 41?

2. Handsome B. Wonderful says:

That’s a pretty girly name.

3. Havok9120 says:

What’s a Ben Paullus? Didn’t he surrender to the Soviets at Stalingrad?

4. I'm One says:

Hmmm ….. Nunez replacement?

5. Mike Myers says:

where is the Campos love? The guy has legit Ace ceiling. TINSSAAPP!

6. zs190 says:

Interesting that they chose to not protect any of the upper minor relievers, Whitley, Burawa, Kahnle, etc, seem like arms that could easily stick in several bullpens.

7. nycsportzfan says:

That Dean Anna guy sounds like a solid pickup, especially for only giving up Paullus. 331BA is very impressive BA..

8. Darren says:

I can’t beliebve they outrighted Corban Joseph! They were on the verge of trading him for Mike Trout.

• Havok9120 says:

They’ve clearly gone too far this time. I don’t see how I can remain a fan after the Yankees, yet again, forgo a chance to get younger.

I’ll burn my Yankee gear tomorrow evening.

9. Dalek Jeter says:

This Dean Anna signing sounds like either Ryan, Nunez or Nix time in major league pinstripes may be coming to an end (OH GOD PLEASE LET IT BE NIX) because having 4 guys for one, maybe two, utility infield spots seems…a bit crazy.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

He could just be minor league depth.
      They didn’t just sign Ryan only to immediately get rid of him.
      At least one of Nix or Nunez will likely be gone.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m saying I don’t think all 4 of them remain on the 40 man, that would be insanity, I agree I think it’s going to be Ryan and 1 of Nix/Anna/Nunez in the majors and 1 of Anna/Nunez in the minors. The more I think about it, the team seams to like Nunez a lot, so I can see it being Ryan and Nunez in the majors as bench players and Anna in the minors and Nix being gone *jumps for joy*…but at the same time Girardi and the real owners of the team (Sterling and Waldman) seem to love the son of a bitch.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nix ends up with a similar deal to last year.
          Non-guaranteed, non-roster split contract with a spring training invite.
          Unless he finds a better opportunity elsewhere.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Last season, if I remember correctly, there was essentially a handshake agreement that unless he was injured or terrible beyond terrible during spring training that he would spend the entire off season not on the 40 man to allow the Yankees roster flexibility but would break camp with the team.

10. Kevin W. says:

Why is Chase Whitley not mentioned in this post at all? He will definitely be picked

• Dalek Jeter says:

While I agree that Whitley could possibly be picked, the Yankees have done really well at turning nobodies into good to elite guys out of the bullpen for stretches for as short as a month to as long as a couple seasons…in fact even the most hardened Girardi hater has to admit he gets a lot out of the Luis Ayalla’s and Cory Wade’s of the world.

• Havok9120 says:

I don’t think it’s a crippling blow to the franchise or anything, but it seems odd to add Greene and Campos and leave guys exposed who are so much more likely to stick and be at least peripheral bullpen pieces.

11. SDB says:

Is Pat Venditte eligible for the rule 5 draft?

12. your mom says:

I wonder what Eduardo Scissorhands could fetch in a trade?

• CashmanNinja says:

I doubt he could get much at all. At this point in time I think the best you could think of is a PTBNL if that. He’s got good speed and the ability to hit for contact, but he simply cannot play on the infield with all of his mistakes, nor does he offer good enough defense/athleticism to become a solid OF. His real value was that he was seen as a fast short stop, but he’s not going to stick there and he can’t really play 3rd either because he’s just so sloppy. That’s why this Dean Anna looks so intriguing. I don’t see Nunez being on this team much longer so whatever they can get for him…do it and free up a roster spot.

• SDB says:

A glove with a hole in it?

13. Tom says:

Anyone know the option status on Anna? Does he have any left?

If not he would have to be on the 25man or clear waivers at some point in the spring before being optioned, no?

14. Dillon says:

give this guy some PA’s and he’s going to be solid. He’s consistently got on at every level at a high clip and the lefty swing might give him a bit more pop. not a huge signed, but i like it a lot better than Nix.

15. PunkPitch says:

Losing Dan Burawa would be the one that hurt the most. He has more upside than Whitley or Kahnle.

16. Dan says:

I looked at Anna’s minor league stats, and he’s hit at every level. He could be a more than useful player (although I’d really like them to acquire another infielder, especially if A-Rod is suspended)

17. Dr. Grenaldine says:

I don’t know about you guys…but I now smell a World Weries Championship where I once didn’t before

18. Dick M says:

Maybe this guy could be A-Rod’s caddie. I like the idea of a younger guy as opposed to the Youkilis/Chavez/sure to break down approach. The 64k question is, can he play 3b?