Dec

Yankees trade Chris Stewart to Pirates for player to be named later

(REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine)

(REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine)

As expected, the Yankees cut ties with Chris Stewart on Monday. The team announced it has traded the catcher to the Pirates for a player to be named later. Tonight is the non-tender deadline and New York was expected to cut Stewart from the roster in the wake of the Brian McCann signing. We heard he was drawing trade interest over the weekend. Dan Barbarisi says the trade was agreed to on Friday but was contingent on Stewart working out a contract with the Pirates, which he has done.

Stewart, 31, will backup former teammate Russell Martin in Pittsburgh, which is pretty much the perfect role for him. He can frame the hell out of borderline pitches but he can’t hit (career 59 wRC+) and is just okay at the non-pitch-framing part of catcher defense. Matt Swartz projected Stewart to earn a modest $1M in 2014, but the Yankees have a small army of young catchers on the 40-man roster and don’t need to keep him around at that price.

Brian Cashman confirmed the team will tender Frankie Cervelli a contract prior to tonight’s deadline a few weeks ago, making him the easy favorite to backup McCann next year. That leaves Austin Romine and J.R. Murphy to split time behind the plate with Triple-A Scranton while Gary Sanchez catches everyday at Double-A Trenton. A trade to further clear up the logjam is possible. Romine seems most likely to go but Murphy might have the most value as a no doubt catcher who is pretty close to big league ready.

The player to be named later coming from the Pirates is almost certainly a non-40-man minor leaguer. Chances are it is someone who is eligible for next week’s Rule 5 Draft as well, the teams just have to make sure the player goes unclaimed before completing the deal. Pirates Prospects has a list of Pittsburgh’s Rule 5 Draft eligible minor leaguers, if you’re interested. The Yankees were a few hours from non-tendering Stewart and getting nothing in return, so it’s not a surprise they received relatively little in the trade. Relatively little is better than nothing.

Categories : Transactions

1. If Cashman gets anything more than a hotdog for this guy, he needs to be named executive of the year.

2. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

PLOT TWIST: Yankees receive Russell Martin in return

3. MannyGeee says:

I would LOVE to say something like “Oh, Chris Stewart… we barely knew ya”. HOWEVER, I think we’ve known too much of the man.

So yeah. Best of luck carrying Russell’s bags.

• Betty Lizard says:

My dreams of being backup to Russell Martin dashed, again.

• ropeadope says:

See if you can get a Spring Training invite from the Bucs. They’ll be in Bradenton (which looks like a nice location on the map – north of Sarasota right off the water). You’ll have a solid shot to beat Stewie out for the job.

4. Mark L. says:

Cash or PTBNL – no surprise

5. I’ll always remember that there was one time I predicted Stewart to do something good, and he hit a three-run home run.

Grr. I should’ve done that more often, in hindsight.

6. JB says:

Maybe they can get back that hanger Terry threw Mazeroski…

• Pat D says:

My dad still has nightmares.

Or at least that’s what I’ll say here.

• LarryM Fl says:

I watched the ball fly over the wall as Yogi looked up at it. No nightmares but the best team did not win the series. The Yankees pounded the Pirates pitching.

I’m glad Chris has a home in the big leagues. He did give it all that he could just not enough by no stretch of the imagination.

• Kevin says:

Same thing in 03. We outscored the Marlins but still lost.
          If we had won in 01,oh boy,that would have been a major upset.

7. MB923 says:

See Ya!!

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

Better to get something than just non-tender him.

Thank you for your service, Chris. May the annals of history remember you a bit more fondly than 2013 did. May you pitchframe like a wild mofo in Pittsburgh.

• pablos ham samwich says:

Better to get something than just non-tender him.

Thank you for your service, Chris. May the anals of history remember you a bit more fondly than 2013 did. May you pitchframe like a wild mofo in Pittsburgh.

9. Ed says:

Whenever we want to dump a crappy player, I think I’m just going to assume we’re sending him to Pittsburgh. It feels like we’re always trading with them.

• RetroRob says:

Someone did a study on this a few years back. Teams (all teams, not just the Yankees) have other teams they are much more likely to trade with than others. It probably comes down to the personal relationship between GMs.

• MannyGeee says:

I always assumed this was due to the (relative) proximity between Scranton and Pittsburgh. A dude could be taking BP for Scranton in the morning and in the Starting lineup in Pittsburgh that night.

(Yeah, I know the AAA team has only bee in Scranton for like, 20 minutes, and that Pittsburgh is NOT THAT CLOSE to SWB… Don’t be a dick by stepping on a good joke, MmmKay?)

10. jjyank says:

The writing was on the wall after the McCann signing. If they can spin Stewart into something even mildly intriguing, that’s a win in my book.

11. Monty says:

Joey G might be on suicide watch this week with Stewie gone.

12. tommy cassella says:

thank you for your services chris. it’s not your fault that you can’t hit.at least you tried.

13. lou says:

Stewart for shoe laces for entire team!! Good trade now all the players will have new shoe laces!!!

14. Get Phelps Up (looking for a new name) says:

With AJ and now Stewie, the Pirates seem to be the dumping ground for out of favor Yankees.

• RetroRob says:

94-68 and made the playoofs last year with our rejects. I would have been fine with Martin and Stewart catching for the Yankees in 2013. AJ, however, I don’t want back. The stat guys don’t believe certain players are impacted by the markets and teams they play for, but they are wrong. AJ is one.

15. Pat D says:

I’d like to say he will be missed, but……we all know that’s a lie.

16. FLYER7 says:

Better to get a warm body than nothing…clears spot for McCann and Ryan…assume Nixie is next?

• RetroRob says:

I would think so. No trade market for him, so I suspect he’ll just be given his walking papers, unless they sign him to a minor league deal again like last year.

• Dalek Jeter says:

As much as I hate Nixie, there will always be a team that wants a Nixonian (Nix like, not Nixon like) I think he can net the same kind of cash/PTBNL type trade…if not yeah, just non tender him tonight.

• RetroRob says:

I agree he will have a job next year. I just wonder if any team will trade for him as opposed to trying to negotiate directly after he is released. His arbitration eligible, so teams might be concerned he’ll earn too much.

I think there is always more of a market for established MLB catchers like Stewart than there is for back-up middle infielders.

That all said, perhaps I’ll be proven wrong in a matter of minutes!

• MannyGeee says:

Stop it.

A lot of teams would like to have a Trot Nixon type player at their disposal.

- Red Sox Nation

17. Dalek Jeter says:

Man, I was hoping to be able to make the joke that Stewie was going to be the starter with or without McCann. Sad day indeed. THIS JUST IN: On his way to the airport Stewie handed a reporter a picture of Girardi, Cashman, and Hal doing a lemon party!

18. Pinkie Pie says:

You will not be missed, Stewey.

19. TWTR says:

A living player?

20. TheEvilUmpire says:

Our long national nightmare is over…

21. Mykey says:

But who’s going to start ahead of McCann? This makes no sense!

22. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

I hope he finds Pittsburgh a happy place, and hits like a champ every fifth day, and leads a healthy and happy life.

In return, please don’t crush the Yanks. That’s all I ask.

Best of luck!

23. dkidd says:

our long national nightmare is over

24. Kosmo says:

“He´s a good pitch framer“. LOL. See ya !

25. Bob Buttons says:

He gets too much undeserved hate. He was asked to do things he cannot do and failed at it. He was forced to perform much more than he thought he would.
    Happy to see him not playing in New York any more though.

• Pinkie Pie says:

I don’t think anybody hates him. He’s just a mediocre player that we saw way more of than we needed to.

• MannyGeee says:

“He gets too much undeserved hate. He was asked to do things he cannot do and failed at it.”

You are obviously not a married man

26. gbyanks says:

anyone like the idea of murphy playing 3rd again. not full time but enough that we could consider him for the position if needed. with him and romine splitting catching duties id like him to re familiarize himself with a position of need, rather then just sit or dh.

• TheEvilUmpire says:

I don’t know about Murphy, but Romaine clearly fits under our celery cap. Though I’ll miss the veteran presents that stewart brings with him.

27. I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Fear of the Day (FotD)™: we will one day reacquire this man.

28. D says:

Lay off Chris Stewart. Thinking he would’ve been anything more than what he was this year and bashing him for being the serviceable all-glove no-bat veteran backup catcher he is is just plain stupid. We all knew he would suck offensively. I personally would’ve given him another year and $1M because the Yanks blew $1.1M on Ben Francisco this year and as bad as Stewart was at the plate he did far more than Francisco who was worse. If McCann gets hurt enjoy Cervelli who has collected a whopping 230 plate appearances the past three years, 137 of them in 2011, as the everyday catcher because it sure won’t be Romine, Murphy, or Sanchez.

• I'm One says:

I agree Stewart was what we should have expected of him. Even in limited playing time, he probably wouldn’t have been much better offensively than he was in 2013.

That said, I’ll take my chances with Cervelli as the every day catcher (instead of Stewart) should McCann get hurt.

• jjyank says:

You’re getting way too worked up over the difference between Stewart and Cervelli as the BUC. It’s kind of amusing.

• D says:

* Correction Cervelli has a whopping 200 plate appearances the past three years (137 in 2011, 2 in 2012, and 61 in 2013.)

He’s the everyday catcher if McCann gets hurt alright LOL.

• lightSABR says:

I think the anger isn’t really directed toward Chris Stewart the player, but toward what he represented: the front office’s total mismanagement of last offseason. It’s not that Stewart was anything less than we expected – it’s that using him as an everyday catcher was a train wreck we all saw coming but ownership somehow didn’t.

29. D says:

Oh yeah – 317 of Cervelli’s 623 career PA across six seasons came in 2010 so he has 306 PA in five other seasons, average of 61.2 PA a year in those years. That’s definitely someone I want playing every day if McCann gets hurt pssshhhhh. Cervelli is so overrated it’s ridiculous.

Again, enjoy Cervelli as the everyday catcher if McCann gets hurt. Also enjoy Romine as the backup catcher as I doubt it’ll be 27 career MLB PA Murphy or 0 career MLB PA Sanchez.

Keeping Stewart would’ve meant trading Romine but so what when you’d still have Cervelli, Murphy, and Sanchez? Too bad if Cervelli would’ve had to start in AAA, the guy had 61 PA last year with an injury and a suspension.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Cervelli (and obviously Stewie) were both out of options. So you couldn’t trade Romine and keep McCann, Cervelli and Stewart–stashing one in AAA.

• jjyank says:

What in the hell are you rambling about?

I got news for you, buddy. Just about every MLB team will be screwed at catcher, at least offensively speaking, if their starter gets hurt.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Just about every team will be screwed at catcher at just about any position, at least offensively speaking, if their starter gets hurt.

fify

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Bingo.

• jjyank says:

True. Though a catcher who can hit even at an average level is pretty rare. It takes a special level of stupid to proclaim “Have fun watching your back up catcher play if your top shelf starter gets hurt!”.

These guys are BUCs for a reason. It’s because they’re not that good. If they were good, they’d be starting and likely playing on another team.

• D says:

Excuse me, asshole (what you officially are to me since you want to call me “stupid”) newsflash:

CERVELLI WAS ANNOINTED THE EVERYDAY CATCHER JOB FOR 2013.

Therefore it “takes a special level of stupid” to say Cervelli is a true backup catcher when he was once given the everyday catcher job as late as this year. He’s the 2014 Yankees BUC only because the Yanks signed McCann.

I really meant to say “have fun watching your back up catcher who has collected exactly 200 PA over the past three seasons and isn’t as good as Stewart defensively as well play everyday if McCann gets hurt” and I think you know damn well I meant that.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

902!

Can we get to 1000? Yes we can!

• jjyank says:

No, I don’t know what you meant. You literally make no sense. At all. If that makes me an asshole, then so be it. But your comments are just a collection of nonsensical rambling about a minor BUC trade. It’s quite hilarious though, so I won’t tell you to stop.

• MannyGeee says:

Wow, dude. Simmer down.

Funny how you’re calling people assholes right before an incoherent rant like this.

• D says:

Ok Mandy you trade Cervelli then, get more for him than what you got for Stewart because Cervelli is perceived by many teams to be better than Stewart (even though Stewart is better than him.)

Rambling jjyank? First off, buddy, Stewart should’ve been kept and Cervelli should’ve been traded there I said it what are you gonna do about it? Cyber beat me up for my lunch money?

I don’t give a fuck about other MLB teams fallback catchers, I care only about the Yanks. I think it was foolish to trade a better defensive catcher with more experience and playing time (Stewart) so a guy with 200 PA in the past three years, 137 of them almost three years ago who missed most of 2013 because of injury and suspension could be the backup (Cervelli.) The perception is Cervelli is better than Stewart, therefore it stands to reason that the Yanks could’ve got more for him than a PTBNL like they got for Stewart. You forgot the Yanks traded George Kontos for Stewart. Kontos who helped the San Francisco Giants win the 2012 World Series. So giving up Kontos for Stewart is a fucking joke. Trade CERVELLI. Now they’re stuck with Cervelli a worse defensive catcher than Stewart.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Lol

• jjyank says:

Holy hell dude. Take a chill pill. We’re talking about the BUC here. The difference between Cervelli and Stewart as the BUC is probably so negligible that it’s highly amusing watching you yell about it. Ditto the caliber of prospect you’d be getting back for trading Cervelli.

Is Cervelli perceived as better by other teams? How the hell do you know? He was hurt most of the year and has a PED suspension under his belt too, I can’t imagine that helped his trade stock.

This argument is totally asinine.

• D says:

How the hell do YOU know other teams DON’T perceive Cervelli as being better than Stewart? ‘Bet if Cervelli is traded the Yanks don’t get a Player To Be Named Later and if that happens I’m right, you’re wrong deal with it. I would guess Cervell is perceived as better than Stewart because he has a better career slashline across the board and would come cheap. I doubt the Yanks would’ve got just a PTBNL out of Cervelli. I think they would’ve got something better. We’ll see.

How is this argument “asinine”? I value defense from the BUC, you don’t, because if you actually watched Stewart and Cervelli you’d see that Stewart is the better defensive catcher. I don’t toe the “Let’s bash Chris Stewart” party line on RAB, you do. I also don’t care about HITTING from the BUC either. I want defense, Cervelli doesn’t provide it and it was ludicrous that the Yanks went with his 2 PA in 2012 ass as their 2013 everyday catcher.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

787 and counting

• jjyank says:

“Actually YOU take a “chill pill” by attacking me with “what the hell are you talking about?” and calling me “buddy”. ‘Pretty strong language there.”

LOL. “Chill pill”, “buddy”, and “hell” is pretty strong language? You must not get out much.

“How the hell do YOU know other teams DON’T perceive Cervelli as being better than Stewart?”

I don’t, and never claimed that I did. You’re the one claiming to know one way or the other, and I’m just pointing out how dumb that is.

“How is this argument “asinine”?”

Because you’re going on long diatribes about something that probably doesn’t make a difference.

“I value defense from the BUC, you don’t”

Where did I say that?

“I don’t toe the “Let’s bash Chris Stewart” party line on RAB, you do”

Again, where did I say that? I didn’t bash Chris Stewart at all, and historically have never been one of those commenters.

Go grab a beer, or take a nap, or something. This is a ridiculous amount of fire for a BUC discussion.

• D says:

I think there’s been a ridiculous amount of Stewart bashing over the past two years, especially this year, so I think I’ll post about Stewart/the BUC as much as I want since most of you have run your mouth about him regularly like you expected him to be Russell Martin or something.

I get out plenty, but thanks for thinking about my social life. Funny how you don’t quote “What the hell are you rambling about?” which begged for a fight you got and can’t/won’t finish.

I would love to see Cervelli out of here and I think he has value greater than a PTBNL. He has done more harm to the Yanks than good. He cheated his way into making the Yanks think he was so good they let go of Martin so he could start then he got hurt and suspended. Now the Yanks are paying $85M, QUINTIPLE the cost of 2013-14 Martin for that mistake. McCann better be nothing short of prime Posada for at least four of the five years he got because if he’s anything less, he’s a bust.

‘Real simple: you re-sign Martin, keep Cervelli in AAA or trade him, maybe Martin doesn’t get hurt thus Stewart plays every day. Martin-Stewart is your 2013 catcher for only $9.05M ($8.5M Martin + $515K Stewart) and your 2014 catching tandem for $9.5M ($8.5M Martin + $1M Stewart.) The Yanks save $75.5M ($85M they gave McCann for 2014-18 minus 9.5M they’d have paid for 2014 Martin-Stewart.) Cervelli, Romine, and Murphy are plenty of AAA reinforcement and one of them could be traded for something better than a PTBNL. Martin and Stewart are off the books after 2014. The Yanks could re-sign Martin for two more years and have him mentor Gary Sanchez who takes over from Martin.

• jjyank says:

Go ahead, keep generalizing the opinions of others. I was never on the bash Stewart bandwagon.

Your claim that Cervelli has more trade value than Stewart is nothing but baseless speculation. Please stop pretending otherwise. And now your moving the goalposts regarding McCann and Martin? Wow.

I really should O:S you, but this is too damn entertaining.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

1,413! Holy smokes! Just when you think it can’t get any better, he drags you back in!

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, wow. It’s like you’re trying to cram as much speculation and assumption into your argument as possible in the hopes no one will notice.

I’m also curious how you square up your previous assertion that you don’t care about offense from a BUC and the “when McCann gets hurt, have fun with Cervelli as your starter!!”

• Dalek Jeter says:

Okay here is my guess: Stewart is your dad and Cervelli stood you up then on the subsequent date gave you a fake name, fake number, slept with you, left without a note and killed your dog on the way out and hasn’t called since. Basically Stewart’s your dad and Cervelli pulled an early season How I Met Your Mother Barney Stinson then killed your dog. That is the only way you can be so emotional about the fact we traded quite possibly the worst offensive catcher in the league and got a warm body for it.

• Havok9120 says:

Wait, you’re the one basing a large part of your argument around the idea that other teams value Cevelli more than they do Stewart, an assertion for which you have presented no evidence, and you’re putting the burden of proof on HIM to disprove you?

Cervelli was better, in every measurable respect, than Stewart was when he won the 2013 starting job. Or do passed balls not factor in to your defensive analysis? That price is playing no factor in your argument and that you’re ignoring offense completely is not the feather in your cap that you seem to think it is.

• D says:

No he wasn’t better than Stewart in every measurable aspect. How so when he had exactly TWO plate appearances in 2012 because Stewart beat him out for the BUC job last day of spring training or around then? Are you serious? Cervelli was made the everyday catcher because the Yanks wanted to play it cheap, an argument Mike Axisa, owner of RAB, has made many, many times and I agree. They had this ridiculous notion that Cervelli was everyday player caliber and it backfired big time. Don’t think for a second if he was healthy all 2013 but was hitting only .220 with one homerun on June 15 they wouldn’t have shopped him for a better hitting catcher and someone wouldn’t have made a deal for his cost and years under control.

Cervelli 5 PB in 194 starts at C vs. Stewart’s 25 PB in 249 starts at C but Stewart 33% CS vs. Cervelli 21% CS. 18 of Stewart’s 25 PB came the past two years in 162 starts. Cervelli has barely played the past three years (just 61 starts at C.) He had three passed balls in his 41-start 2011, about a 12 PB pace over a 162-game season. Only 2 PB in his first 133 starts at catcher but that was almost four years ago.

Martin should’ve been re-signed for a fifth of what the Yanks just signed McCann for, Stewart should’ve been the BUC, Romine and Murphy should’ve been the reinforcements, and Cervelli should’ve been traded.

Teams have inquired about Cervelli over the years and I doubt they have offered just a PTBNL or are you gonna stupidly say no one has ever asked about him after his 2009-10?

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

1,696! How high can we go?! Do I hear 2,000?

• Havok9120 says:

Of course teams have asked. Teams ask about almost everybody. We have absolutely no way of knowing what may or may not have been offered. You’re the only one here claiming to know the value of Cervelli vs. Stewart.

Cervelli and Stewart were competing for the starting role in ST and the early part of the season. What little evidence we have (the pre-season All Star ballot submitted by the team) suggests that they expected Stewart to be the starter. Cervelli won the job over Stewart. His defense looked measurably better in ST and the early start of the year.

Martin plays absolutely no role in this discussion. We have no way of knowing if or how Stewart/Cervelli played into the decision to let him go. Any connection you create (such as your nonsense earlier that they let him walk because they believed Cervelli was a legit starter) is speculation.

We know exactly what Stewart can do over a full season as a starter if McCann gets hurt. We know more or less what he can do as a full-time BUC. The team believes that the chance of Cervelli reaching his ceiling in one of those roles, and that ceiling being higher than Stewart’s, is worth more than the money which would be paid to Stewart. There is some decent evidence backing them up. Even if they’re wrong, very very little will be lost. We know this, because we’ve got a good idea of what Stewart can do. It ain’t much.

• Get Phelps Up (looking for a new name) says:

So you don’t want Cervelli starting but you would be OK with Stewart and his career .575 OPS starting?

• D says:

No, I don’t want a guy with only 200 PA over the past three seasons, 137 of them almost three years ago, who has had one bonafide good season almost four years ago, who has been suspended for cheating, who wasn’t good enough to win the backup catcher job from Stewart in 2012 (and was so bad in the minors he made just two plate appearances for the 2012 Yanks) to be the everyday catcher, who missed most of this year due to that suspension and injury, who isn’t as good as Stewart defensively, and who will cost about as much as Stewart for 2014 being the everyday catcher, that’s right. I value defense over imagined offense. BTW 8 HR in 623 PA with half of them almost three years ago and 3 of them last year isn’t exactly everyday catcher quality. Cervelli’s career slashline is due to his 2009-10 mostly. I mean did the Yanks sign McCann because of his excellent defense? No, they signed him for his power potential.

‘Love the selective amnesia on here re: Cervelli. His 2010, yeah (all he has to hang his hat on), almost four years ago, yet the Yanks opted for Russell Martin to be the everyday catcher 2011-12. He’s better than Stewart yet Stewart beat him out for the BACKUP catcher job in 2012 and an up-and-coming team wanted and now got him to be their backup catcher to a guy the Yanks shoud’ve never let go who took a FIFTH of what the Yanks gave McCann who isn’t as good as Martin defensively.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

You’ve just written nearly 600 words getting really upset and defensive about the Yankees BUC.

Maybe go get a beer.

• jjyank says:

Whoa dude. Nobody is saying Cervelli is any great shakes, but he’s a freaking back up. Complaining about a guy who’s going to play once a week is a little ridiculous.

• D says:

I’m not complaining about anything.

Door #1: The Yanks keep Stewart, trade Cervelli for something better than a PTBNL. The Yanks keep their best defensive BUC. If McCann gets hurt, Romine or Murphy can be called up to share catching duties with Stewart. The catcher is officially a black hole of offense again but the Yanks will get decent at worst defense.

Door #2: What the Yanks did today. Their best defensive BUC is gone. They got about as close to nothing as you can get. Romine or Murphy is still called up if McCann gets hurt. If McCann gets hurt and is out for the year after only 61 PA like 2013 Cervelli, the Yanks will most likely get as much production out of the catching tandem as they got out of 2013 Stewart-Romine, only they’ll get worse defense since Cervelli isn’t as good as Stewart.

‘Love how tons of you on here have gone on and on and on and on about Stewart/how bad he is for the past two years but I’m “going off”. Truly laughable.

My point which you all missed is it was ridiculous to trade Stewart for a PTBNL after you gave up Kontos for him and Stewart is a better defensive backstop than Cervelli.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

This is a minor detail, but Stewie didn’t beat out Cervelli for the BUC role; Cervelli had Mi options so we acquired Stewie from SF to place Cervelli in AAA because the prospects at the time were all around low A, and we lacked C depth.

• Caballo Sin Nombre says:

I remember back when we had 0 career MLB PA Derek Jeter. We should have traded for a veteran.

• hey now says:

D = Chris Stewart’s mom or his agent.

Stewart is the suckiest suck that ever did suck. Lamenting his loss makes you a laughable loser.

We’re all laughing at you.

30. Andrew Brotherton says:

I would think they would target Thornton as he could help out this season, I’d love to see if they could get Allie and take a chance that you could unlock his potential.

• mustang says:

They seem to have a lot of Allie types both young and old. Thornton would seem like a better fit for their bull pen needs.

• FLYER7 says:

Thornton will get picked up in the Rule by someone else if not the Yankees if they have a spot open. The PTBNL will be someone else off the Pirates list…

31. mustang says:

Zack Thornton, RHP – I think Thornton is the most likely to be drafted from this group, and the most likely to be protected. He doesn’t have the most dominating stuff on paper. His fastball sits 90-91 MPH, and he pairs that with a low 80s changeup and a 77-78 MPH slider. He did put up dominating numbers in 2013, with a 2.63 ERA, a 10.8 K/9, and a 1.4 BB/9 ratio between the top three levels of the minors. He had 25.1 innings in Triple-A, where he posted an 11.0 K/9 and a 1.4 BB/9. He’s another sinkerball pitcher, with a 61.6% ground ball ratio in 2013. Unlike Casey Sadler, Thornton gets a ton of strikeouts. He’s got the advantage pitching in relief, since he only has to worry about one inning, while Sadler has to focus on going 6+ innings each appearance as a starter. Thornton gets a lot of his strikeouts with his slider, but also can be effective against lefties with his changeup and a sinker-heavy approach. If he doesn’t get drafted, then he should start the 2014 season in Indianapolis, and could be pitching out of the Pirates’ bullpen by the end of the year as a depth option.

I think we have a winner!!!!

32. Sometimes its good to have a logjam.

Also, Chris Stewart going to the Pirates tells you how fast Michael McKenry fell out of hope for the Pirates. I personally like Michael McKenry, but clearly he’s a Marlin to be.

33. qwerty says:

It would make sense to also trade Cervelli while his stock is “high” and promote Romine.

• Havok9120 says:

What in the name of all that is holy makes you think his stock is “high” after a PED suspension and an injury-shortened season?

The Yanks like him more than Stewart, or at least like him + savings from not keeping Stewie + a PTBNL over Stewart. That does not mean his stock is high enough to take the depth hit.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Let’s say for argument’s sake that his stock was high…I still wouldn’t trade him unless he was part of a big package for a bonafide stud The Yankees now have a very clear pecking order with McCann starting, Cervelli backing up,Murphy/Romine splitting time at AAA, and Sanchez hopefully opening the season in Trenton. Really Stewart OR Cervelli was going to be the odd man, and I don’t think there’s any more reason to trade from our catching pool (again unless it’s part of a larger package for a great player).

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

I’m really happy we get to keep Murphy and Romine in AAA. I really thought Murphy needed another year in the minors, and maybe Romine can get some confidence back if he can start hitting down there. Either way, they’ll both be trade chips(Murphy a pretty attractive one) if/when Mr. Sanchez climbs the ranks.

• qwerty says:

Perhaps you haven’t been paying attention to the market for catchers these days.

34. Steve In Nj says:

This a sad day in Yankee land….

35. Robinson Tilapia says:

Looks like I picked a bad day to actually get work done.

Nothing like an epic DEY SHOULDA KEPT CERVELLI INSTEDZ meltdown.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Yeah. I checked out for a couple hours and come back to this. THIS!! Wow. Have to bookmark this one.

Funny thing about Stewart is that I expected him to suck, and he did, and thus completely met expectations. Nothing like a low bar. Or, one that just sits on the ground.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Honestly, I could give three shits who the BUC is. There’s not enough slots for all the catchers on the 40-man anyway.

Making a massive shit out of trading Stewart, though? Hilarious. Even more hilarious that they guy didn’t even bother to use a generic male first name as his screen name in the process. Just one letter? Lazy, son.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Dealt, not kept, Cervelli.

36. Luke says:

Conversation between Pirates GM and Cash

Pirates GM: Cash, I heard you want to keep Stewie but we really want him.

Cash: Yes, you heard right. We like him a lot. But make me an offer.

Pirates GM: Stewie is our guy! We want him really bad so I’ll give a bag of balls plus sunflower seeds for the whole season.

Cash: FOR THE WHOLE SEASON?

Pirates GM: Yes

Cash: Done!!

37. Pasta says:

The suckatude has left the team

This man catches and struck out on two strikes. The guy was a huge loser
    I will never forget 2013 yankees of suck stewart wells overbay nix ichiro mesa almonte nunez romine
    The shitty AAA pitchers including Hughes and a dh that could not play anywhere on the diamond. Horrible team !!!

38. D-Lerious says:

Coulda kept Stewart. Woulda gotten more than PTBNL for McCann.