Dec

Tuesday Night Open Thread

The second day of the Winter Meetings came and went … well, kinda. It’s still going on but you know what I mean. The Mark Trumbo trade is the big baseball news of the day (yawn), and as far as the Yankees are concerned, the only interesting thing was Brian Cashman (transcript) and Joe Girardi (transcript) speaking to the media. Both guys discussed a number of topics but didn’t say anything overly interesting, typical YankeeSpeak. Girardi did acknowledge that Robinson Cano was not happy batting second this past season, which we first heard a few days ago. Oh well. It’s in the past.

This is your open thread for the evening. The five hockey and basketball locals are all in action, so talk about any of those games, the Winter Meetings, or anything else on your mind. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. dkidd says:

everyone should run out and see “inside llewyn davis”

brilliant

2. Dr. Nick says:

Hey Everybody

Who’d you scumbags want at the following positions:

2B
    3B
    SP
    SP
    OF ( in the event Gardners gone. Starter or backup)

• a swift kick to the head says:

Once we get done passing her around, we might stick your mom at 2B.

• MPierce says:

2B – Mark Ellis with Johnson appearances.
      3B – Mark Reynolds with Johnson appearances.
      SP – Tanaka
      SP – Pineda
      OF – Dream outfield? Choo in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Beltran in RF. Likely? Soriano in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Beltran in RF. Though I’d keep Gardner and move Soriano to DH if we aren’t signing Choo or getting Pablo Sandoval/Mid-Rotation Arm in return.

• Preston says:

Ideal scenario

2b Dustin Ackley, he’s showed a lot of promise in 2011, sucked in 2012 and was just better than replacement in 2013. But I think his defensive numbers can rebound and he showed power in the minors and 2011 that he hasn’t had the last two years. As a LHB moving from Safeco to YS could help him revive that power stroke a little. If he hit .260/.320/.400 with league average defense and solid base running then he’d be better than Infante, Phillips or Ellis. Of course in a trade its all about what you’d give up. I think we could sell the Mariners on Ichiro, I know it’s crazy. But they had ridiculously bad outfielders last season. They got -2 WAR from RF, Ichiro was worth 1.1 WAR, I think if we paired him with Austin Romine that we could get it done(the Mariners don’t really have a backup catcher and have been rumored to be shopping Zunino in a future Price deal). MY TRADE PROPOSAL SUCKS.

3b Pablos Sandovall, maybe he’s not available but if he is, I want him, David Phelps and Heathcott? Yes, MY TRADE PROPOSAL SUCKS.

SP Tanaka, no explanation necessary and no need to chastise the suckyness of my suggestion.

SP Pineda, Warren, Nuno, Jose Ramirez, Brett Marshall, Manny Banuelos, let’s try to find some internal option here.

Keep Gardner, unless maybe it’s Gardner in a one for one swap with Panda, that’s a high price to pay, but there are literally no good 3b options available, in which case I want us to sign Choo, Soriano, Beltran rotating between the corners and DH, money be damned.

• Jorge Steinbrenner (the rarely spoken-of sibling) says:

There was a report today that the Giants plan on offering Panda an extension if he shows up to camp in shape. Doesn’t sound like someone who is going to be immediately available.

YTP did S, btw. :)

I’d love a flyer on Ackley, but I am pretty wary of handing second base to him. Does he have options?

I have zero clue who plays third base for this team. ZERO. Perhaps something crazy opens up in the trade market, but we may really be looking at some of the same non-Youk guys we were looking at last off-season. Yes, Alex, you can royally go fuck yourself.

3. tmoney says:

Most boring winter meetings in years. Thought we would see a flury of trades due to all the free agent signings.

4. Bob Buttons says:

I certainly had fun reading the giant walls created by a certain commenter. Thanks to whomever linked it last night, kept me occupied while my internet was lagging hard and i cant do much but read articles.

5. FLYER7 says:

2B Ifante or Brian Roberts on spring invite.
    3B Kelly Johnson Mark Reynolds platoon
    SP Pineda or Phelps
    SP Tanaka or Colon
    OF Almonte cut Wells and trade Ichiro

• MPierce says:

Not a fan of Infante at this price-tag, rather sign Mark Ellis and have Johnson platoon a bit with each of Ellis and Reynolds. Giving them days off, keeping a Brendan Ryan’s bat from joining the lineup for any other reason than what we signed him for: shortstop.

• Jorge Steinbrenner (the rarely spoken-of sibling) says:

Future Yankee Omar Infante? I’m shocked this hasn’t happened yet.

6. OldYanksFan says:

Bryan Hoch @BryanHoch
    Brian Cashman: “No doubt about it,” Joe Torre’s No. 6 will be retired by Yankees.

7. MPierce says:

Anybody feel like the Rockies gave up way too much for Brett Anderson? I like him more than most, but I was not expecting that kind of haul. Dude has been hurt a TON.

• CashmanNinja says:

I actually feel the Rockies gave up little for Anderson. Pomeranz should actually do well in Oakland and that huge stadium. He was simply not a very good fit in Colorado. He’s been in the league a few seasons and the numbers haven’t been that great. He’s started 30 games and only won 4 of them, but has lost 14. The overall numbers just don’t look very good — even with relatively small sample sizes. He didn’t look good in Colorado and looks to be a classic example of someone who needs a change of scenery which is why it’s value to the Rockies since they wouldn’t get much of him as a guy playing for their team. Jensen really doesn’t offer much either. He could be a so-so major leaguer, but I don’t feel he’s a great prospect in any means. Definitely worth it for the Rockies to get Brett Anderson.

• Tom says:

Pomeranz was once a good prospect but the shine has come off. He walks a ton of guys, is a 2 pitch pitcher and missed time with a shoulder issue last year. Maybe Oakland fixes him?

Don’t know much about the other guy, other than he’s a 23yr old in A ball (which is kind of old). Oakland also kicked in 2 mil.

Seems like a decent roll of the dice for Colorado who always seem to need pitching.

8. vicki says:

whole lotta baffling out there. in the three-team deal the snakes gave up more than they got in the upton deal, for a significantly lesser player (to say nothing of chris johnson). neither do i get it from the chisox’ pov.

9. The Other Sam says:

I’m starting to get worried about the rotation. I’d hate to see 2 past-their-primes hit their inevitable decline, 1 formerly imploded starter, and 2 dumpster diving ‘treasures’ gotten on the cheap.

Just have to wait on the MLB/NPB deal and Tanaka I guess.

• Jorge Steinbrenner (the rarely spoken-of sibling) says:

I feel like the world is waiting on Tanaka at this point. There doesn’t seem to be much around the two better FA starters left in Garza and Jimenez.

I still think Garza would fit in the middle of the rotation nicely, and that Tanaka then becomes the luxury item you splurge on.

I share your concerns. I also think the Yankees, at this point, do.

10. schreimike says:

Just wondering why Newman, Oppenheimer and Cashman still have jobs with Yankees and get a free pass from media. The Farm Systme has been a disaster; they handle most contract negotiations poorly. Do we remember Jeter’s last negotiations. Certainly should not have given Cano 240; but perhaps handling the whole thing differently could have lured him back for less than that. They baiscally played hardball with best FA available. What do you gain by that?

11. So, umm, just found out that my old manager from when I was in high school (some years ago) committed suicide tonight.

That’s a, umm, sobering bit of reality.

• Jorge Steinbrenner (the rarely spoken-of sibling) says:

Really sorry to hear.

• Thanks.

It’s just so damn surprising. I know this is basically cliche’ when talking about people who commit suicide, but I really didn’t know anything was ever wrong with him, to the point that he would do that.

A damn shame. Damn shame.

• Jorge Steinbrenner (the rarely spoken-of sibling) says:

I can imagine that it’s very difficult to put your head around someone who you actually were close to taking that step. I know it’d be for me.

• forensic says:

Many suicides come as the result of private health or financial issues (especially in the age range I would imagine he was in), so most of the time you wouldn’t realize someone was going to do that unless you’re very close with them, to the point where you would know those private things.

12. Darren says:

Don’t underestimate Jeter! With his superpowers, he might get to 4,000 hits – next year!

13. forensic says:

Part of a Girardi comment about Kelly Johnson:

He’s not going to clog up the bases.

Oh Joe, why’d you have to go there???