Dec

2013 Winter Meetings Day Two Open Thread

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

By Winter Meetings standards, Monday was pretty slow. Most of the top free agents have signed already, and until we get some resolution regarding Masahiro Tanaka, the pitching market will remain relatively quiet. The Yankees are still looking for a starter even after re-signing Hiroki Kuroda, plus they need some bullpen help and either a second or third baseman. Oh, and general depth. That’s always necessary.

Here are yesterday’s Yankees-related rumors. The most notable thing we learned is that New York’s asking price for Brett Gardner is “through (the) roof” while rival executives think he’ll fetch a number three starter at best. His value is greater to the Yankees than it is anyone else, really. We’ll keep track of the day’s rumors right here, so make sure you check back often. All times at ET.

• 9:18am: The Yankees want to import two relievers and they’ve been discussing Joaquin Benoit internally. Matt looked at him earlier today. [Bob Nightengale]
  • 5:46pm: The Yankees have not yet shown much interest in left-hander Paul Maholm as a back of the rotation stopgap. [McCullough]
  • 5:39pm: Unsurprisingly, Ichiro has a “limited trade market, maybe very limited.” The Yankees want to move him and keep Gardner. [Heyman]
  • 3:00pm: The Yankees are one of three teams to inquire about Dustin Ackley. He’s a buy-low second base candidate. Like the idea but not sure how salvageable he is. [Jon Heyman]
  • 2:08pm: “Signing one might be easier than trading for one,” said Cashman, referring to the market for starting pitchers. Not surprising given the team’s trade chips. [Chad Jennings]
  • 1:57pm: Cashman confirmed other teams have inquired about Gary Sanchez, J.R. Murphy, and Ivan Nova in addition to Gardner and others. [Andy McCullough]
  • 1:49pm: “I have thrown a lot of trade proposals out there, as well as conversations with free agents,” said Cashman while adding he’s unsure if these talks will actually lead to anything. [Barbarisi]
  • 1:38pm: The Yankees have not had any trade talks about their spare outfielders (i.e. Gardner and Ichiro Suzuki) with the Giants. [John Shea]
  • 1:28pm: Brian Cashman called Kevin Youkilis‘ agent to gauge his interest in returning, but Youkilis wants to play closer to his home in California. Funny, I want him to do that too. [Jack Curry]
  • 12:17pm: The Yankees do have interest in re-signing Mark Reynolds. Alfonso Soriano is the team’s only right-handed power hitter, so Reynolds would fit in a limited role. [David Waldstein]
  • 11:52am: The Yankees and others have interest in Danny Espinosa, but the Nationals are balking at moving him right now. I looked at him as a buy-low target back in August. [Ken Rosenthal]
  • 11:45am: There is nothing going on between the Yankees and Mets about Daniel Murphy at the moment. I looked at him as a potential trade target last month. [Andrew Marchand]
  • 8:24am: The Yankees are “very much interested” in Michael Young and have also checked in on Juan Uribe, Eric Chavez, Matt Garza, and Ubaldo Jimenez. Talks with Garza and Ubaldo are not serious. [Erik Boland & Steven Marcus]
  • The Yankees did contact the Reds about Homer Bailey. It’s unclear what they were offering or what Cincinnati was seeking in return. Gardner makes an awful lot of sense here. Two underrated players both one year away from free agency and the Reds needs a leadoff man/center fielder. [Dan Barbarisi]
  • Other clubs do not think highly of New York’s outfield prospects and that limits their ability to make trades. “The Yankees have no upper-level talent,” said a Cubs official after the Yankees asked about Jeff Samardzija. [Joel Sherman]

Reminder: Your trade proposal sucks.

1. Nick says:

PLEASE stay away from Juan Uribe…. ugh…

And Michael Young wouldn’t be someone I was “very much interested” in… 1 yr/1 mil, sure. Beyond that? Nope. He’s not the kind of player who deserves big money anymore.

2. Eselquetodolosabe says:

Big Michael Young fan. Can be part of 2nd base platoon, short term and very reasonable. I haven’t seen him play last 1/2 years, so don’t know about the “he’s done” sentiment. I mostly remember Young as a professional hitter, that saw a lot of pitches. Maybe with some protection in the line-up, better numbers are possible. How’s his glove lately ?

• mitch says:

His glove has never been great and I think it is pretty terrible now. I don’t think 2B is even an option. I’d rather go with Reynolds.

• nycsportzfan says:

I just posted about Michael Young a couple days ago, and how i liked the idea. At first, i thought he’d fallen off to much offensivley, and thats why not many on here have talked about em, but then i checked, and he hit 280BA with alittle pop just this past season. Hes right handed also, which is huge. Hes also versatile. It simply makes sense. I hope either he or Reynolds are brought in or back in Reynolds case.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

He’s been below replacement level for the past 2 years.
        I guess if he came extremely cheaply and they can’t find anything better he might be worth a try, but I wouldn’t expect much.

• nycsportzfan says:

Well, i think he might be better off being just another one of the guys, as he’ll be in NYC. Lets not forget, we’ll have Kelly Johnson also, playing alot at 3B. Young will get adequete rest, and be able to just blend in. This is pretty much the 1st yr people are thinking of him as pretty much done also, which hopefully will have pitchers thinking less of em. I could see a last who-rah type season for Michael Young. Similar to the kinda finds the yanks have had over this ridiculously long streak of winning.

• Greg c says:

.280 BA and a little pop (.395 slugging, really?)doesn’t say much when the player has negative value and probably expects to be paid based on an (mostly) undeserved reputation.

Remember when another mostly-undeservedly beloved dude called Mattingly the “least productive .300 hitter in baseball”? THAT’s what I think of when I think “Michael Young.”

3. TWTR says:

Cashman doesn’t have to move Gardner; there is a strong case that he shouldn’t move Gardner. So he has the leverage to make a very good deal. If he cannot do that, no trade should be made.

4. your mom says:

I’d like to have Matt Kemp in pinstripes but too bad my trade proposal sucks, well actually, our farm system sucks.

• SamVa says:

Good call. I’m glad someone brought this up.

We really need more OF options.

Yikes

• SamVa says:

I mean seriously, I think the 7th/8th outfielder position is the most underrated in baseball.

What happens when all of your starters and their back ups get injured? Why waste roster spots on infielders and more starters/bullpen help?

Sign Choo too. Hell, with Jeter’s declining range, we could go without a shortstop and play a fourth outfielder, softball style. Then we would have a complete second string. I like the way you think Mom.

• Pseudoyanks says:

YTPS

• Hmmmm says:

Im with you

5. Jim says:

I don’t understand why the Yankees don’t make a push for Brandon Philips he is making next year 8-9 million and the Yanks will have to pay Gardner 4 mil so the difference is going to be less than paying Young 7-8 million and keeping Gardner. Philips is very close to being the defender Cano is and his HR and RBI capabilities will not replace the production from the loss of Cano but will get the Yankees closer

• The Great Gonzo says:

Because, as Joe pointed out last week, he’s not particularly ‘good’ anymore.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Phillips is making $11M next year (over $12M AAV for luxury tax purposes)

Not saying they should pay Young $7-8M – or anything for that matter – instead (though Young would presumably be a 3B option anyways, not 2B), but I’d much rather have Garder + maybe Infante than have Phillips and no Gardner.

• Greg c says:

Gardner is a very good, cheap player. Phillips is expensive and not good. Yankees don’t really have an OF surplus. They have a bench surplus.

6. The Great Gonzo says:

So you know its a strange offesason when you hear phrases FROM the Yankees such as “They’re listening to offers but are not overly motivated to move him”… Typically that phrase is said TO the Yankees.

7. Poconos Adam says:

Michael Young as part of 2nd base platoon….dear lord.

I think we’re all going to be in agony by about game #3 watching the defense from whatever dreck the team plugs in there…..

We probably too Cano’s D for granted after seeing it for so long.

I guess Brendan Ryan can cover both MI spots at once, right?

8. HectorLopez says:

Joel Sherman is a tool, the yankee prospects always suck in his world. He tried to tell us that when the yanks attempted to trade for Shilling that Boston had way more to offer. The yanks offered cano, who did boston offer that was anywhere near as good as Cano? Phillips stinks, sign someone to a one year deal like Chavez to play third and have Johnson play second.

9. HectorLopez says:

The team that starts the year is irrelevant, lets see who falls out of the race early and see who is available in July! Why not use the money available for PITCHING?

• Bob Buttons says:

Texas asked fo/choser Joaquin Arias in the A-Rod deal over Cano. That should tell you how highly he was regarded back then.

• The Great Gonzo says:

VERY valid point.

Cano was severely underrated as a prospect, as were Gardner, Nova and Melky. Just sayin, those are three legit major leaguers with varying degrees of success, all from the Yankee farm.

• The Great Gonzo says:

er…. FOUR legit (or legit adjacent) major leaguers

• Bob Buttons says:

Funny how a lot of our former prospects with some success in recent years are kinda unheralded and our top prospects poop out.

Big Three, Eric Duncan, etc vs Robertson, Nova and Gardner
          Heck Phil Coke is more successful than guys like Bronson Sardinha, Jon Poterson(sp?) and Eric Duncan (Though he himself isn’t really too successful. He’s just the uncommon 20+ rounder with actual big league job.)

10. Bob Buttons says:

Woke up this morning remembering how 1 WAR is roughly 5 mil these years or something like that.

Now I’m more amenable to 3/30 for Infante.

11. entonces says:

Wow, imagine that. Theo is frustrated in his usual trading practice of demanding the moon/paying in worthless meteorites in return. So now one of his stooges dismisses Yankee upper level talent. Good. Hold on to Austin, Heathcott and Williams. My guess is the market value of two of these will be much much higher in about six months.

12. mustang says:

Wonder what it would take to get both Homer Bailey & Brandon Philips?

I know people here don’t like Brandon Philips, but I’m sure that would change if he had Homer Bailey attached to him.

Also heard Reds need catcher and the Yankees have a lot of those.

• Bob Buttons says:

1) I don’t like Phillips partially because of his “character issue”. Don’t think that would change no matter whose attached.

2) Reds dealt away Hanigan. Don’t think they are interested in catchers of our quality, with Mesoraco and Pena around.

I wouldn’t mind trading for those two but the price is likely overpay. I rather them overpay for Infante and a starter. (Bartolo?)

• mustang says:

You know what’s funny about 1 is that I remember another Reds player trade to the Yankees that had some “character issue” Paul O’Neill!

Not saying that its the same, but just funny because I remember Yankees fans complaining about the same thing with O’Neil.

• Bob Buttons says:

Yeah I vaguely remember that tidbit, and for all we know he just wants a sceneary change, hence quotation marks. However, IIRC he didn’t really care for advanced statistics and bashed reporters for them questioning his non-counting stats not too long ago. That to me isn’t what I want, a guy who isn’t open minded and on wrong side of 30.

• mustang says:

Can’t blame the guy I don’t care for advanced statistics myself..LOL

“WAR..huh…look out… What is it good for? Absolutely nothing…listen to me ohhhhh.”

LOL

I see your point, but i’m still withhold judgment reports can be shady to say the least.

• Bob Buttons says:

Found the link. Apparently it’s worse than I thought. He “ripped” into the reporter for comments about his OBP, which I daresay is not too advanced.

• Greg c says:

It’s good for meaningless things like winning games.

Joe Morgan is a guy who doesn’t like stats, either. But he’s one of the greatest 2B of all-time and maybe one of the top 20 Players of all-time, based on WAR.

Joe Morgan is Honus Wagner (OK, maybe “only” Nap Lajoie) and Phillips is Randy Velarde.

• mustang says:

Agree on 2.

Don’t mind Infante, but Just can’t see them signing Bartolo. And Yes I’m thinking of PED.

• mustang says:

I guess take all of Philips contract, Garnder, there choice of one Murphy, Cervelli, or Romine, David Phelps and Eduardo Nunez ?

SMH….And another to the “my trade proposal sucks”

• The Great Gonzo says:

Gardner/Murphy and the Yankees eat the money? Throw in a Phelps/Warren type? Seems to be fair value.

My trade proposal sucks, and I would never make that deal, but that feels like fair value.

13. SamVa says:

Anyone have a good comparison for a Hamels trade package?

Ace coming off a decent year with a big contract left?

• Bob Buttons says:

A paid trip for the entire Phillies organization, including employees, to Disneyland and Cashman’s firstborn.

In all seriousness, I think it’s gonna take much more than say, Nova, Robertson, Williams, Sanchez, Austin/Heathcott, and eating Howard contract.

We really do lack upper level impact talent and tradable big-league ready batters.

14. Slu says:

The only thing that sucks more than my trade proposal is the Yankees farm system. It is sad how weak the system is. Heathcott at number 2…oh boy.

• Vern Sneaker says:

I don’t agree that it’s weak, only at the AAA level for the next year. Below that I think the consensus would be we’re middle of the pack, maybe even a bit better. It just doesn’t help us right now.

• Slu says:

This is what has been said every year for the past 5 years. Maybe more.

• Mike HC says:

True. But in those past five years we have traded a bunch of guys (Jackson, Kennedy and Montero off the top of my head). So our farm kind of got us four years of Granderson, which was pretty damn good. Also produced a bunch of back end starters in Nova (who might be more), Hughes and Phelps. Possibly Pineda doing something counting from that Montero trade. Some bullpen pieces. I really don’t think the farm has been horrendous. Middle of the pack to slightly below average sounds about right.

• Darren says:

Maybe it’s semantics, but I think “lack of upper level talent” is the same thing as “farm system sucks”. I would venture that most organizations would take ONE upper level top flight prospect over 3 or 4 low level prospects.

• Mike HC says:

Not semantics. I’m not a prospect junkie, but I do think there is slight divide between people who value closer to the big leagues, lower ceiling guys vs higher ceiling and farther away from the bigs.

15. 28 this year says:

If Hamels or Lee is available, what might it take to acquire them? Even with the contracts, we can probably afford either of them and they are definitely capable of pitching well here.

• BamBamMusings says:

How about we just give Amaro the entire farm system for both and call it a day. There isn’t a prospect in the system I wouldn’t give up for Hamels. A top of the rotation lefty! The question is, do the Phillies value any of our prospects? Or are they trying to get in on the packages being thrown out there for Price. (who we forget looked like he was done for half of last season)

• Brian McCann for President says:

Can you imagine if we can pry Hamels and Brown from them? Package would probably have to include Gardner and Nova. Add to it our best prospects, Wiliams + Banuelos + say bye to Sanchez.

• BamBamMusings says:

Hamels is a stud, but giving away Nova is not a good idea when we’re 2 SPs away from fielding a team. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. We should try offering up prospects first.

As for Brown, yeah he’s enticing. But how many OF can we get in an offseason. We need to look at our needs at this point.

16. Vern Sneaker says:

We need four solid outfielders because we’ve got some injury history out there now. Ichiro/Wells/Almonte doesn’t cut it. Plus I love the quality of defense we’ve got for left and center — lots of runs saved there. Thus Gardner for a #3 SP isn’t a good trade, IMO. I’d much rather see $$ spent for a free agent(especially since it isn’t my money!)

17. xman says:

save the $$$$$, until Tanaka is posted. Sign him. And then fill other positions/needs, with whatever money is left.

• Mike HC says:

I hope the Yanks assume Tanaka doesn’t get posted or prefers to play for another team, and sign another starter. And then if Tanaka does get posted and wants to play for the Yanks, even better. Then move a few guys that were going to be part of that 5th starter competition and move them to the pen, where we also need help.

18. nycsportzfan says:

Justin Masterson is being dangled by the Indians. Another pitcher i woulden’t mind us getting in on.

• Jersey Joe says:

I wonder what Cleveland is looking for in this case. It is an interesting proposal, but I don’t know if we have the pieces to get it done.

19. Marco says:

Phillies are shopping both Lee and Hamels. If the Yanks are willing to take on Hamels large salary, and offer Brett Gardner, Mason Williams, JR Murphy, and Dave Phelps, do you think the Phils do it? Should the Yankees?

• Slu says:

The Yankees should literally give the Philles anyone they want from the minor league system for Hamels. It is extremely unlikely that any combination of players in the system ever adds as much value as Hamels will going forward. Frankly, I don’t think the Yankees have the pieces to trade for anyone any good unless it is a total salary dump.

• Brian McCann for President says:

No they won’t. (they’ll need the top prospects in our system – Sanchez, Heathcott, Banuelos+ and they’d need an ML ready SP like Nova) Yes the Yanks should.

20. Eselquetodolosabe says:

If you’re not going to trade him (heck, even if you might), lock Gardner up. NY’s extension policy should be revisited. If Gardner stays healthy, when he hits free-agency next year, there’d be a line around the block for him. Give the guy his money now (4, 40mm, or whatever). In light of Ellsbury’s contract, maybe even more money for Gardner.

21. Jersey Joe says:

Basically every signing depends on if Gardner is traded. If Beltran or Soriano DH, then Jeter is playing SS for at least 80 games. So if we keep Gardner, Jeter is primary SS. So we would need a capable, defensive third baseman. Could that be Infante? Then sign a righty 2B to platoon with KJ – I’ve always liked Scott Sizemore, but these types are a dime a dozen.

RHP

Soriano LF
    Teixeira 1B
    McCann C
    Infante 3B
    Righty 2B
    Ryan SS

If we trade Gardner, then find an OF who can play center (Hopefully not Ichiro). Then Jeter is full time DH, putting Ryan in the field full time. With Ryan in the field full time, then the need for a capable defensive 3B is unneeded. We could Reynolds at third even, which I would be happy with.

Until Gardner is traded, we won’t know how this roster is organized.

• BrianStrawman says:

That is not a very good lineup even if they are all healthy and playing.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

I would have to disagree with you there. That lineup looks solid to me (I’m making the big assumption of health also). It’s certainly leaps and bounds better than last year’s.

Pitching is where I’m more worried at the moment.

• Jersey Joe says:

I think the lineup against righties is very capable. As for LHP, that can be accredited to large amount of lefty hitters; even then, it’s not really that bad.

22. Grover says:

Keep Gardner and test the trade market for Soriano and his $5M payroll hit. We might be surprised at how much he could bring back in the form of cost controlled bat missing pitching and a second baseman or shortstop. For all of the talk of Cano’s loss of production, I still count three times the at bats from Beltran, Ellsbury and McCann along with the probable return of Jeter and Texeira. Soriano was great last Summer but they will be sorry if Gardner is moved instead of being signed to an extension that kicks in next year for $12M over three or four years. He fits the team’s make up and manager much better than Soriano as the second or ninth batter, is a defensive gem and a fan favorite. Bring in Delmon Young at the end of August if worried about a right handed bat who doesn’t take pitches but delivers in the playoffs.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Soriano has a NTC that apparently he was only willing to waive for the Yankees this year.
      Maybe he’ll want to avoid a lot of DH time and accept a trade, but I wouldn’t count on that, and it could severely limit any potential trade return.

23. mustang says:

So the Phillies are putting Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee and Domonic Brown on trade market??!!!

I will never complain about Cashman again…LOl

• Mike HC says:

I don’t get even putting Hamels name out there. Do the Phils plan on not being contenders for 6 years?

• The Great Gonzo says:

Its a ploy. Amaro is fishing. He doesn’t ‘want’ to trade Hamels, but if he can get a couple uber-prospects and a ML ready piece or 2…

He’s likely sent someone to whisper this rumor in front of Jack Z’s hotel room to see if he can get him worked up to a lather…

24. The Thumb says:

I really don’t want to trade Brett the Hitman. It’s almost inevitable that someone’s getting hurt, especially if Soriano and Beltran are starting on a regular basis.

• Jersey Joe says:

Soriano is pretty durable. I think it’s Ellsbury to be worried about.

• TCMiller30 says:

Ellsbury has had freak injuries. Pretty much everytime he’s missed games is because of running into someone.

Ran into Beltre and broke his ribs, came back too fast and reaggravated the injury.
        Stole 2nd and got landed on and injured his shoulder.

I’d be more concerned about nagging injuries than the type of history that Ellsbury has. I’d be way more concerned if the team had traded every valuable piece they had for Kemp than I am about the big contract to Ellsbury.

25. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Q: Do the Phillies, as a rule, refuse to hand out no-trade clauses?
    ‘Phillies shopping Hamels and Lee.’ (MLBTR)
    Hamels just signed that damn thing.

26. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

No matter what moves they make the remainder of this offseason I just hope they stay faaaaaar away from Brandon Phillips. I’d rather have a certain T. Nelson play 2B.

27. Deeeee says:

Michael Young – Let’s get younger!

28. Mouse says:

Hamels didn’t pitch as well last year as he had in the past. Maybe something is wrong and the Phils know it?

• Mike HC says:

Could be true. He is into his thirties now (or will be in a couple weeks). Although he dominated in the second half of the season.

29. JonS says:

” the Reds needs a leadoff man/center fielder.”

Billy Hamilton?

• Jersey Joe says:

The Reds want him to get a bit more seasoning; getting Gardner for 1 year would be ideal for that. I see Hamilton playing LF instead of CF anyway.

30. Josh S. says:

I can’t help but keep refreshing mlbtraderumors.com even though the speculation of most of these rumored deals hardly ever pans out. I guess it’s just a way to kill time between doing tasks at work.

31. Jersey Joe says:

I would love Danny Espinosa. He is a big pull hitter as a lefty, and that would be perfect in Yankee Stadium. He is a risk, but I think he just needs a change of scenery. Although his power is impressive, people have qualms over his low BA, even in 2011-2012. His minor league stats, however, indicate that he may be able to bring his average up to around .270, which would be great in combination with his power. His speed and defense are nothing to sneeze at either. Now, I wouldn’t trade Gardner or Nova for him, but I think that we should be able to get a deal done. He gives similar production as Infante, but at much lower than 3/30. It is certainly worth a shot for the Yankees.

32. Jersey Joe says:

I don’t see why people are campaigning to have Reynolds come back to play third. With the rotating DH/RF of Beltran and Soriano, Jeter will be playing shortstop everyday. Next to Reynolds.

I get nightmares about the left-side defense just thinking about it.

33. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Ichiro + his salary + prospect for Homer even close?

34. Henry Krinkle says:

Curtis Granderson ““A lot of people I’ve met in New York said, ‘True New Yorkers are Mets fans.’” Not a big deal, but did he have to knock Yankee fans on the way out the door?

• Jersey Joe says:

Yeah, that was kind of unneeded. C’mon, Grandy.

• hey now says:

The good news for Grandy is that he’ll get to meet the hundreds of “true New Yorkers” who show up at CitiField next year.

• Jorge Steinbrenner (the rarely spoken-of sibling) says:

Just not a big deal. At all. Trying to endear himself to the fan base, and there are plenty of people who actually DO believe that.

• Bridge and Tunnel says:

Gotta admit there’s at least a grain of truth in there. You got a lot more NJ-CT-Rockland-Westchester coming to the Bronx than to Flushing.

35. mustang says:

” Mark Trumbo and a pair of players to be named later will head to the Diamondbacks, Adam Eaton will join the White Sox and Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs are headed to the Angels”

Nice haul by the Angles.

• mustang says:

Shin-Soo Choo price has to be through the roof.

• Jersey Joe says:

Also means Gardner’s stock is rising.

• mustang says:

Wondering with Trumbo gone are still looking to trade Howie Kendrick?

And do they need Gardner type?

• mustang says:

“If the Angels do bring their chips to the trading table, they really only have two viable options: Howie Kendrick and Mark Trumbo. Really, though, they only have Howie Kendrick due to second-base being one of the few places where the Angels have some organizational depth.”

Just got my answer!

COME ON CASH MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!

36. Tom says:

Brett Anderson dealt to Colorado for Pomeranz and Jensen

Kind of glad this deal happened as I wanted no part of Anderson and was worried the Yankees might make a run at him.

• mustang says:

Agree. I know lots of people here loved him, but he is too injury prone for my taste.

• CashmanNinja says:

I absolutely LOVE Anderson’s potential, but the guy simply cannot stay healthy. If we had a really deep system then I would have been alright with trying to get him, but we can’t afford to trade every single guy at this point. We only have a few decent young guys who actually have some real trade value — even if their value is lower than another teams’ prospects since many of our guys have taken a step back. The point is…if we had the luxury of getting Anderson then I’d be THRILLED. But we simply do not. He’s way too much of a risk for us and he’s just 1 of those guys you have to watch go to another team. He’ll be an injury risk for the Rockies, but I think they actually just stole him from the A’s. Pomeranz was really…..well, he really didn’t fit in Colorado. His value could rebound, but he wasn’t going to ever do anything great in Colorado.

37. Chip says:

I thought the Yankees might look into Ackley at second base. I think it’s a great move as he wasn’t that good in the outfield and has a plus glove at second. His power is being destroyed by Safeco and had a miserable year at the plate last season so he should be fairly cheap as a fourth outfielder on the Mariners. Yankee Stadium, change of scenery and Kevin Long could make him into quite a hitter. Really though, all he has to do is be league average to provide some good value

• CashmanNinja says:

I actually think Ackley would be a great pick up if he could be had at the right price. Don’t forget he’s only a few years away from being a really hot prospect. He just simply doesn’t fit what the Mariners need out of 2nd which is why they went after Cano. I think Ackley would fit well for the Yankees for 2 reasons. #1.) the stadium will help him out a ton , #2.) he’d be hitting in a better lineup which means a LOT less pressure to make something happen. With that said I don’t think the Yanks will go after him because I don’t think the Yankees would be willing to give up what the Mariners want. They’d probably want something like Brett Gardner, Mason Williams, and a back end starter such as Phelps. My opinion at least.

• Bob Buttons says:

Biggest problem: He is only a borderline gap power hitter and no legit homer power. He’s also not that great on the road either. Seattle might try to pawn him off for more than he deserves.

38. John in Forest says:

I figure the only way the Yankees can move Ichiro is the same way that Boston moved Beckett and Crawford a year ago — package him and his salary with a desirable player. Maybe Romine is now expendable, maybe a minor league arm, offer the guy they want and the salary they don’t want.

• The Thumb says:

If you were another GM, what would you give for Romine and Ichiro? Point is, no one really wants those guys right now much less give anything of value up for them.

We traded DJ Mitchell and then journeyman without much of a future Danny Farquhar for Ichiro. It’d be a miracle if we got something even remotely close to that back.

39. sevrox says:

I don’t get the Gardner hate – ‘spare outfielder’? Please. He’s a vital offensive machine that was one of the two best ‘offenders’ in the lineup last year.

40. lightSABR says:

Anybody else a little bit horrified that Cashman even talked to Youk? I really hope it was pure courtesy call.