Record Last Week: 3-4 (23 RS, 23 RA)
Season Record: 59-51 (570 RS, 458 RA, 66-44 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, @ Blue Jays (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Red Sox (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The 2017 non-waiver trade deadline came and went, and about an hour before the deadline the Yankees swung their largest deadline trade in years. They acquired Sonny Gray from the Athletics for Dustin Fowler, James Kaprielian, and Jorge Mateo. Payroll is frozen the rest of the season.
- The Yankees started their three-game series at home with the Tigers a few hours after the trade deadline. They opened the series with a 7-3 win Monday, but lost 4-3 Tuesday and lost 2-0 Wednesday. The starting pitchers in the losses: Anibal Sanchez and Jordan Zimmermann. Yuck.
- A four-game series with the Indians in Cleveland followed. Corey Kluber shut the Yankees down in Thursday’s 5-1 loss, then the offense struggled again in Friday’s 7-2 loss. Chase Headley hit a clutch homer in Saturday’s 2-1 win, then the offense finally broke out in Sunday’s 8-1 win.
- Injury Updates: Matt Holliday (back) was placed on the 10-day DL with a left lumbar strain. Aaron Hicks (oblique) and Tyler Austin (ankle) have started minor league rehab assignments. Greg Bird (ankle) hit in the cage over the weekend and will begin fielding and baserunning drills this week. He could be a factor in September. Justus Sheffield (oblique) and Kyle Higashioka (back) have started throwing.
- The Yankees checked in with the Padres about Brad Hand and the Rangers about Yu Darvish prior to the trade deadline. Luis Cessa, Jonathan Holder, and Garrett Cooper were involved in shuttle moves throughout the week.
- In addition to the Gray trade, the Yankees also sent Yefry Ramirez to the Orioles for international bonus money. Baseball America and MLB.com still rank the Yankees’ farm system highly even after all the trades.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the Features tab in the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.