Record Last Week: 3-4 (44 RS, 45 RA)
Season Record: 51-37 (495 RS, 435 RA), 3.0 GB
Opponents This Week: All Star Break, vs. Detroit (3 games)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with a frustrating loss in the series finale against the Blue Jays. Hard to complain about winning three of four against the division rival, but everyone was really gunning for that four game sweep.
- Up in Minnesota for the final time on Tuesday, CC Sabathia kicked the series off with a convincing win. AJ Burnett battled the next day and kept the team in it long enough for another win, and even though spot starter AL Aceves didn’t give the team any length on Thursday, they were able to finish off the sweep.
- The Yanks decided to start their All Star break early when they got to Anaheim, coasting as they were swept at the hands of the Angels. Hopefully they’ll rebound nicely in the second half after their seven day vacation.
- A couple of important Yankees are slumping at the moment, including All Star starter Mark Teixeira. Andy Pettitte has been struggling since last summer, and Joba Chamberlain’s last few starts have been nothing short of dreadful. I even suggested he should go to Triple-A before his latest meltdown. The Yanks could make a run at the available Roy Halladay, but it’ll probably cost a few of their untouchables.
- The only roster move of the week was the call up of Mark Melancon to aid an overtaxed bullpen.
- Down on the farm, Sergio Mitre put together a pair of strong starts to put himself in consideration for a post-All Star Break spot start. Jesus Montero was ranked the third best prospect in the game according to Baseball America’s Midseason Top 25 Prospects List.
- Alex Rodriguez climbed into the top ten on the career homerun list over the weekend, nothing short of amazing (PEDs or not) considering he went turn 34 until later this month.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.