Jan

Fan Confidence Poll: January 31st, 2011

Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. vin says:

Another Monday, another 8.

2. NJYankeeFan says:

With Duchsherer signing with the Orioles, I think Cashman must be pretty certain Pettite is coming back, otherwise I think he would have been the best of the remaining options for 5th starter. He certainly would be a better option than Bartolo Colon or Mitre.

• Chris says:

There’s no need for Cashman to ruch to sign another starter now. Having Mitre as the 5th starter in April and May and trading for someone during the season would be a better option than picking up someone that may not be any better than Mitre. Duchsherer’s a fine pitcher, but I wouldn’t be any more confident with him as the 5th starter in place of Mitre.

• whozat says:

Really? When healthy, he’s been significantly better. I’d rather have Duch with Mitre backing him up than just Mitre. Of course, I’d like having Pettitte with Mitre backing him up most of all, but it seems weird to me that the Yanks would start betting on that now, unless Duch has reason to believe that Pettitte will be back, and that they’d want to stick him in the pen in favor of Nova.

• NJYankeeFan says:

Totally disagree. With Duchsherer, you’re rolling the dice about his health. He’s been effective when he’s pitched. With Mitre, you’re pretty much guaranteed replacement level or lower production. I’d much rather take a chance on a high risk high reward type player at the back of the rotation than someone you know has almost nothing to offer. At least there is some upside with Duchsherer. All this however may be a moot point if Andy comes back since Nova would fit in fine as 5th starter.

• kosmo says:

assuming that´s a FO strategy ,off the top of your head name 5 quality SPers that are now rumored to be trade deadline candidates ?? Teams are going to want a ton of good prospects if the Yanks are desperate come mid -June 2011.

• Chris says:

Once Cliff Lee came off the board, there weren’t any quality SP available as FAs, and teams aren’t going to demand less now than they would mid-season.

• Danimal says:

The only reason I would support this philosophy is if Duchscherer really can’t stay healthy. Otherwise he’s proven himself to be quite a good pitcher, and Mitre really has not done that. I don’t think there is a question who would be more effective as a healthy 5th starter.

• “with duchsherer signing with the orioles, I think cashman must be pretty certain Pettitte is coming back,”

To quite a great spaniard: “I don’t think it means what you think it means.”

3. Jorge says:

What really changed? An 8 last week. An 8 this week. A 9 if you’re running an all-you-can-eat Latin buffet in Tampa.

• Thomas says:

It probably be a one (not a nine) if you are running the buffet, because Colon and Madrigal could eat it out of business on day one.

4. Mike says:

I guess Coney sobered up

5. Fair Weather Freddy says:

I have a feeling Andy will sign the weekend before pitchers and catchers report, around Feb 12.

• David says:

You are right! Watch for Andy in the next ten days. Nothing else makes sense.

It is a nine for the future – More money than anyone else, a great farm system, fine core young players on the major league team = 9.

6. JohnnyC says:

It’s amusing and annoying that the MSM is having such a clusterf*** with the supposed “soap opera” in the Yankees’ front office. It’s what the state of journalism has come to: wild speculation and runor-mongering. Oh, don’t I pine for the good old days of yellow journalism? At least the old tabloids made for fine fish-wrapping.

7. Frigidevil says:

It was an 8, Coney makes it a 9.

8. BigDavey88 says:

Who votes a 1?

Do they collapse into tears when there’s no more milk in the fridge too?

Bah, I voted an 8. TOUGH, DIFFICULT AND WELL THOUGHT OUT PREDICTION: The Yankees will have a winning record this year.

Take that to the bank and smoke it.

9. Danimal says:

I loved the piece last night about why we brought in KT. I really think Cash is working hard to keep a healthy farm in place while we have all these aging vets we’ll eventually phase out. Kudos Cash, cause I think he’s doing a great job of scouting and bringing in talent. But I’ll not move above a 7 until I know how our rotation is filling out.

10. bonestock94 says:

11. Jerome S. says:

The Yankees are missing one piece (albeit it’s importance looms large).

Add that piece in and this team is the second or third best in the majors.