Feb

Done deal: Burnett traded to Pirates

Via Jon Heyman, A.J. Burnett has passed his physical and MLB has given the deal a thumbs up. The trade sending him to the Pirates for $13M in salary relief and two nondescript minor leaguers (Diego Moreno and Exicardo Cayones) is now official. Give ‘em hell in Pittsburgh, A.J. Thanks for Game Two.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Will (the other one) says:

Never ended up being the player we’d hoped for, but I hope he does well in Pittsburgh. Should be a good deal for all involved.

2. JoeyA says:

Not going to say I’m sad to see him go, but he was a good clubhouse guy from everything I’ve read and always faced the music however bad his performance. Rare these days. Give ‘me hell

3. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Thanks also for the gem on August 7, 2009, the night new Yankee Stadium became Home.

4. Mike Myers says:

Now that its official, was the deal at all worth it?

3 years at 70 Mill plus 2 C prospects. Also, 2009 ring in part.

I know it wasnt, but its not as bad as 82 over 5. Glass is half full today!

Who am I kidding? good riddance!

5. flamingo says:

Thanks for 2009, AJ! I’m glad to see you go.

6. MWA ASSTTASTIC says:

Like what Mike said, Thank You for Game 2. Came up very big that day for us.

I wish him the best of luck

7. Johnny says:

Thanks for everything A.J.! No hard feelings. We never lost anything because of you, after all, and actually won a championship because you were around. So thanks.

(Thank you for being a good guy as well. I hate cheering for jerks.)

8. vin says:

Nice. And we get a couple of single-cent pulls at the penny slot. Way to go, Cashman.

9. Rookie says:

He was a VERY good guy — and always a stand up guy when he lost. I’ll always remember the two big World Series games when he came up so big. Too bad he could never get back to the form he showed in his last year in Toronto (the second half anyway) and his domination of Boston during the Toronto years.

I hope he continues to be lights out, or at least decent, against National League teams like, as I recall, he has been for the past couple of years anyway.

10. Tyrone Sharpton says:

AJ was a good guy and I enjoyed watching. Damn hate to see him go.

11. mustang says:

Now watch him go out and win like 17 games.

12. eyerishyank says:

I’ll always remember AJ fondly. Game 2 in 2009 was biggest game for the yankees in the last 10 years that they won. Also his tough performance game 4 against the Tigers this year. Perhaps my lasting image of AJ will be staying around til 4 or 5 am to play with the kids who couldn’t be in the sunlight after a game.

• Cbean says:

I think that was what always got to me about AJ. He seemed like a good guy and you wanted him to do well and he gave you hope that he was turning it around and then it crashed and burned. Thank you for helping us get to #27 AJ!

13. mustang says:

My MVP goes to Cashman just an amazing winter.

14. Steve (different one) says:

The one interesting thing increase was that the yanks see Moreno as one of the pirates top 10 prospects, even though no one else does. Could be BS, but it sounds like they actually wanted him.

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

Axisa could not have said it any better: Give ‘em hell in Pittsburgh. Thanks for the pies, for coming through when no one thought you would and, even when things looked ugly, taking it right on the chin. The results may imply otherwise, but you wore the pinstripes well.

16. Sheepmeister says:

for those interested in the most important game AJ pitched for the yankees.

17. OldYanksFan says:

I agree with what everyone says. AJ must have been a GREAT guy to be so disappointing and so expensive, and yet have the majority saddened to see him go. I was almost looking forward to seeing if he could bounce back this year.

I predict he does VERY well in Pittsburg. Low to mid 3′s ERA good.

18. TomH says:

Although he doesn’t quite look the part, AJ may be one of those sensitive plants that just doesn’t thrive in New York. If so, he may well do much better in Pittsburgh. I hope so, and if he does, better it be in Pittsburgh than in Cleveland or LA.

19. viridiana says:

Nice to see so many Yankee fans with kind words for AJ. Would there be anyway to send him a copy of this thread?

20. Spaniard says:

Let the post AJ era begin. No more bad pitching contracts for yankee starters and just soriano is overpaid on staff now. Hammels next winter and pitching would be sick for years. Cash should keep at least a million of the 13 he got back for AJ. Great winter for Cash, dont let the pie hit you in the ass on the way out Aj!

21. GardnergoesYardner says:

I have always rooted for A.J. Burnett in his tenure with the Yanks, ever since he stayed out with those kids who had the pigment issue so they couldn’t be outside during the day. I think that showed who he really is inside. Every time he struggled, I always tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. The only two times I really got mad at him were Game 4 of the 2010 ALCS, and that game in late August against Baltimore last year. When he drew the Game 4 assignment last year, I believed he would come through when it counted, and he did. I’ll be sad to see him go, although the Yankees will be better for it. Good luck in Pittsburgh, A.J.

22. Bob Stone says:

Glad he came, glad he stayed, glad he’s leaving.

There is no doubt that AJ was a great, giving, fun, honest, stand-up guy. At one time he was a talented pitcher with incredible stuff. I had such high hopes for his career in pinstripes when the acquisition was announced (Funny thing is we were concerned about his durability and sure of his stuff – It turned out that our conerns were totally backward from what played out – funny how that happens sometimes).

AJ definitely contributed in so many positive ways as noted in other comments about 2009 plus good clubhouse guy, pies and the like.

But damn he was frustrating to watch in the second half of last year.

I wish you well AJ. It was time to move on. Go kill ‘em in Pittsburgh!!!