May

Update: Yankees sign Cuban outfielder Adonis Garcia

Update (6:08pm): Via Marc Carig, Garcia signed a one-year minor league deal worth $400k. So the report of six years and $16M was just slightly off the mark, eh?

5:00pm: Via Ben Badler, the Yankees have signed 26-year-old Cuban outfielder Adonis Garcia. The terms of the contract are unknown, but Brian Cashman shot down reports of a six-year, $16M offer back in March. I would be stunned if the deal came even remotely close to that number.

The 5-foot-7, 180 lb. right-handed hitter put up a .270/.313/.461 batting line during winter ball, though Badler says Garcia “doesn’t have any standout tools, so it’s hard for scouts to see him fitting in as a big league regular.” Whatever the signing bonus is, it will not count towards this year’s international spending limit. That doesn’t kick in until July 2nd.

Categories : Asides, Minors, Transactions

1. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Where does he project to play this year ?

2. Anthony Pleadis says:

Hmm. Sounds like the Yankees just signed this guy to be an organizational guy. They are thin in the outfield at the upper levels so I guess it’s a good idea to sign a guy like this to take the load off of the youngsters.

3. Tyrone Sharpton says:

Can we call him a scrappy player like Eckstein? It’s tough since he’s latino, no?

4. Preston says:

Has Soler been declared a FA yet? I hope he does before July 2nd.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Really? I hope he doesn’t. Then he probably goes to the best organization….

• Preston says:

I think we can get him either way. But if he waits until after that deadline the team that signs him will likely use their entire IFA cap to get him. Which would mean he’s the only player we’d sign. No Ivan Nova’s or Manny B’s for cheap.

• Preston says:

Easy for me to say, it’s not my money.

• G says:

Yeah if everyone’s spending is capped and he’s basically the top outfield prospect in the system if he signs with the Yankees, it could juget ale him cheaper for us. Good chance to make the majors soon with the best franchise in history.

5. Bryan V says:

As long as the deal isn’t for 6 years, then it’s fine by me. From what I’ve read this kid has the raw tools, and the desire to hone those tools, so he’s not a “nothing” prospect by any means. However, he’s not Yoenis Cespedes, either.

6. crawdaddie says:

I thought even if he signed on July 2nd, when you’re 25 or older, the new CBA rules restricting bonuses and such don’t apply?

• crawdaddie says:

Okay found the rule I was thinking about earlier. It’s 23 years old and dependent on number of years in a professional league. This from BA and Badler:

“Garcia’s bonus, which was not immediately available, will not count toward the Yankees’ international signing bonus pool for the 2012-13 signing period. Those rules kick in on July 2, though Garicia would have been exempt anyway because he is at least 23 years old and has played in a recognized Cuban professional league for at least five seasons.”

7. The Dude says:

Would’ve rather had Yeonis Cespedes. Moving on…Jorge Soler please.

• Preston says:

I was not a fan of Cespedes. But after watching a small sample size of Yeonis, I’ll admit I was wrong. Although I think it would have been best to give him 200+ AB’s in the minors first. He has elite tools.

8. Manny's BanWagon says:

They really need to sign Soler considering this will be their last chance to use their financial advantage to sign a young international prospect.

• The Dude says:

I wish they would’ve done what Texas did this year. They went on a prospect shopping spree and signed like five of the top ten international players. They’re farm is absolutely stacked with talent at all the levels. Sigh. I miss have a top farm system. And also I miss Montero =(

• Plank says:

The Mid-Market Yankees haven’t been using that advantage the last few years.

• kenthadley says:

this….even though many on this site bring up data to disprove the contention, the Yanks have been much less aggressive with IFA over the past few years…and far less than their income would permit them……cant even match some of the small market teams in this regard.

9. Plank says:

How high is the highest box he can jump on? Apparantly that’s the only thing that matters with Cuban outfielders.

10. jsbrendog says:

wow, that sounds like a good contract. see what he has and if he clicks reup him cause a)u can afford to, and b) he would basically be guaranteed a spot next yr if he can put his bat wherehis..uhm…wallet? mouth? play well. if he can play well

11. Plank says:

I love it. Only in sports could a person from a third world country who has probably never seen $100 at one time sign a contract for 400K and have it be considered relatively low.

12. Fernando says:

I don’t know much about this guy, but if the Yanks are looking for more depth at the higher levels, they should claim Tyler Graham from the Giants. He’s 28, but he seems to have good speed with an average of 30 steals per season and 60 2 years ago. He’s also played all three OF positions.

13. Preston says:

How does a one year minor league deal play into team control? Is he a FA at the end of the year? Do we have to call him up in order to have team control over him?

14. shelly says:

cashman has to spend money to put any kind of team together..i wanted him to go hard after yu darvish and to a lesser extent cespedes..yanks cant run team on a shoestring budget while charging outrageous ticket prices..one or the other..i dont trust cashman making these moves

• Steve (different one) says:

Just bizarre. $200m is shoestring budget.

• Plank says:

Certainly not a shoestring budget, but the prices charged don’t correlate as well with the payroll as they used to.

• All Praise Be To Mo says:

I guess someone slept through the supply and demand part of business class. The Yanks will charge as much as we’re willing to pay for, it doesn’t matter how much payroll is.

15. yankee3611 says: