Jun

Injury Updates: Gardner, Robertson, Tex, Joba

Got a pair of quick injury updates…

• Brett Gardner (elbow) will play in his first minor league rehab game with Low-A Charleston tomorrow. “Brett will play tomorrow and possibly Saturday,” said VP of Baseball Ops Mark Newman in a release. “We are taking it one game at a time with him. His coming to Charleston is his first step toward getting back in left field in Yankee Stadium.”
  • David Robertson (oblique) threw live batting practice at Yankee Stadium today and based on Joe Girardi‘s comments yesterday, the right-hander could appear in his first minor league rehab game this week.
  • Mark Teixeira (cough) has been diagnosed with vocal cord damage after seeing yet another specialist about his continued coughing problem. He won’t miss any games or anything, but it will take some time to heal completely.
  • Joba Chamberlain (ankle, elbow) is scheduled to throw a bullpen session tomorrow. He threw off a half-mound last weekend and apparently things went well enough for him to get back up on a full mound. It’s been less than 12 weeks since Joba suffered an open dislocation of his right ankle, so this is kinda mind-boggling. He’s coming back way quicker than I imagined.
Categories : Injuries

1. Erica says:

Joba is a cyborg and that is all there is to that.

2. Bartolo's Colon says:

This news makes me so happy that I feel like jumping on a trampoline.

3. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

JOBA ALMOST BLED OUT!!!!!!

Good times….

4. Karl Krawfid says:

Joba is a man.

5. By Mid-August:

Add: Joba, Aardsma, D-Rob, Gardner, Nunez

Subtract: Nix, Eppley, Rapada, Garcia, Wise

Yummy.

6. Jamey says:

Maybe I’m being naive, but I think this whole drama, beginning with the Tommy John surgery & the ankle injury and now including how incredible his rehab process is going along makes me think Joba is going to turn a huge corner in his career. Does that translate into getting another chance at the rotation when healthy? Well we all pretty much know the answer to to that but if he can settle into a dominant reliever again the media will begin the “should Joba be in the rotation?” stuff (as is I believe required by baseball writers per some government mandate established around 2005-ish) & maybe he’ll get a legit chance again.

7. LiterallyFigurative says:

Gardner and Mason Williams at the top of the lineup for a game or two at Charleston. Worth the price of admission.

8. LiterallyFigurative says:

Fingers crossed on Joba’s return.

9. Robinson Tilapia says:

I hope we figure out just what exactly Joba Chamberlain is before he enslaves us all and makes us listen to nothing but Miranda Lambert.

I miss that sumbitch, even if he is half-robotlizard.

10. the Other Steve S. says:

Any word on Campos? Haven’t heard anything out here in the boonies since he first felt it.

11. Gonzo says:

Joba knows the value of duct tape and WD40.

• Midland TX says:

I am very curious to see how his stuff is both when he returns, and as he subsequently rebuilds strength and endurance.

Also, I hope he finds a way to keep out of trouble once the hockey season ends.

12. DM says:

Joba’s gonna wrestle a grizzly bear at the All-Star game as part of his rehab.

13. Mike HC says:

Can’t wait for Joba to come back.

14. Stratman9652 says:

That settles it. I want Joba on my zombie apocalypse survival team.

15. Cuso says:

He’s stubborn, I’ll give him that much.

16. Havok9120 says:

Hearing “vocal cord damage” makes me cringe. I mean….yikes. I know it isn’t that serious, but still….

• RetroRob says:

The vocal cord damage is a byproduct of the realy issue, which is the respitory problem. Does that mean he’s still not better?

17. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

I’ll be the Debbie Downer here and say NO WAY Joba pitches for the Yanks this year. 2013 will be fine.

The Gardner injury really surprises me. I remember when it happened in left field. I think he played the rest of the game. Didn’t think it would be such a long recuperation.

• RetroRob says:

I’ll be slightly less downer than you. Maybe we’ll see him in September, or very late August.

• Ted Nelson says:

Unless he has a setback I don’t see how it will take that long to rehab. He’s already throwing off a mound.

18. Bo Knows says:

Joba is not human….I wonder if he’s a highlander?

19. TCMiller30 says:

Tex has a vocal cord injury?!?!

I really hope him and the band don’t have to cancel their tour!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60A1yKc2hi4 (safe)

• dkidd says:

this is f-ing incredible!

thanks for sharing

• TCMiller30 says:

Haha someone posted it on here before, so I can’t take credit for it.

I honestly thought at first it was a spoof of some sort. Maybe like an SNL skit, or an offseason team bonding thing.

They look exactly the same!!! (minus the hair of course)