Dec

Rangers agree to sign Joakim Soria

Via Ken Rosenthal: The Rangers have agreed to sign free agent reliever Joakim Soria to a two-year contract. Soria had expressed interest in setting up for the Yankees so he could be around idol Mariano Rivera, but the Yankees are very unlikely to offer anyone a two-year deal with offseason. Guaranteeing two years to a reliever coming off his second Tommy John surgery is pretty sketchy anyway. One year with a vesting option was my personal limit, but I’m not the one calling the shots.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Clown says:

Geez, bad news after bad news. I’m confident that is because Ninja Cashman has something cooking

• Countryclub says:

Not really. That’s a lot of money to give someone coming off his 2nd TJ.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I wouldn’t call it bad news. He was interested in the Yankees. Was there ever an indication the Yankees were really interested in him?

Plenty of hot stove left. It’s not about who the first guy to come off the board is.

2. Ed says:

I’m amazed he got 2 years. He was certainly a good pitcher, but the track record for guys coming off a 2nd TJ surgery is horrendous.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, that’s name value and hope for the best kind of stuff. I like Soria a lot, but I wouldn’t have been thrilled to see the Yanks go two years on him.

3. MB923 says:

I don’t call it that big of a loss as much as people are going to say this is. For one thing our bullpen is still more than fine. And if you’re worried about who would be the closer for 2014 after Mo retires, there are 9 closers who are free agents after next year which is A Lot.

Does this news suck? Kind of. But don’t consider it a big blow or anything. We have no idea what to expect from him.

Oh off topic, latest MLBTR Yankee update said they are interested in Cody Ross. Ross however wants a multipyear deal, I don’t think they’d offer him that.

4. Havok9120 says:

It’ll be interesting to see what the actual structure of the deal is. I’ll wait on that before deciding whether or not this is actually something that should annoy me.

5. Hoss says:

I agree, no more multi-year deals! Who do you think we are, the Pittsburgh Pirates?

6. Tom says:

With the 2 LOOGY approach, do the Yankees actually have space for a major league contract to a reliever?

Mo, Robertson, Joba, Aardsma (who I think has to be on the big league roster or has a release date built in?), Logan, LOOGY #2, long man

Adding a big league reliever to the roster means getting rid of who? It should be the 2nd LOOGY, but the Yankees seem convinced that is the default best setting for a bullpen. Other than minor league depth deals, who gets bounced if they add a reliever?

7. Drew says:

Soria would have been a really nice replacement for Mo once he retired at (most likely) end of the year. Going to a rival hurts the Yankees too.

Really hope Cashman has something planned bc this is getting ridiculous.

8. Jersey Joe says:

Eh. Gotta move on.

Schierholtz seems perfect for RF. How much will he demand in FA? If it’s more than Hairston’s 2 yr/9 mil, then I’m out.

Even with Nate on the team, we would need a platoon partner. Reed Johnson I guess is as cheap as it gets for consistent production. If I were Cashman, I’d offer $1.5 mil right now and see what he says

Sign Stephen Drew for 1 yr, incentive laden deal, similar to Beltre with Boston. He needs to rebuild value, what better place than YS3? If ARod and Jeter come back healthy, and Drew is doing well, I wonder if he’d even DH a few games.

• Ted Nelson says:

Nate was expected to make $1.6 mill in arb by MLBTradeRumors and the Phillies didn’t trade him, so he should get about that much or the Phillies are idiots.

They’ve been linked via rumor to Nate, Ross, Drew, and Keppinger, so I think they’re doing the right things.

9. Neil says:

Yunel Escobar is being shopped by the Marlins. I would try to get him. He’s a very good defensive SS and should be able to play 3B too.

Not sure what the asking price is tho!

• Fernando says:

He’s had too many off the field issues, which eliminates him from consideration. Plus, he only hit about .250 last year.

10. mrdbag says:

Who is the next mediocre no talent loser the Yankees will be attached to? While the rest of the league is embracing the capitalist system our team is FUCKING it up!!! Multi billion dollar brand reduced to garbage buyinh.

11. Fernando says:

Passing on Soria makes sense. This team has not had success signing free agent relievers to multi-year contracts, plus Soria is coming off a second TJ surgery. His money is better spent to fill the RF or C slot.

12. There's the Door says:

This is the first piece of real damage caused by Hal 189, though surely not the last,
    Soria would have been a terrific Yankee.