Dec

Raul be seeing you: Ibanez heading back to Seattle

The Yankees will have a new DH next season. Raul Ibanez is headed back to Seattle, having agreed to a one-year deal with the Mariners according to multiple reports. He’ll earn a guaranteed $2.75M with another $1.25M in incentives. Just a few days ago we learned the Yankees were still talking to Ibanez about a return next season, but you can’t blame him for taking that deal. Great job by his agent. It’ll be Raul’s third stint in Seattle.

Ibanez, 40, earned True Yankee™ status with all of those ridiculously clutch homers late in the season and in the playoffs, but I was all for turning the page. I dig the idea of acquiring Jason Kubel to DH, but the free agent market has plenty of alternatives as well — Jim Thome, Travis Hafner, Jason Giambi, and Luke Scott just to name a few. I expect the club to seek a DH capable of actually playing the field in an emergency, so that probably rules out the Thomes and Hafners of the world.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

OH NOES The sky is falling!!! TERRIBLE!!! Cashman iz teh AWFUL!!! HAL=SATAN!!! 189=HELL!! Need younger!!! SIGN ALL THE FREEAGENTS!!!!

2. MM42 says:

Berkman a possibility?

• Chris says:

He said his knees are in bad shape but he would wait till after the new year to sign. It means that if healthy he would be cheap and one 1 year deal. I hope he is on cashes short list for DH. I think it’s a. Very low risk and high reward move. I would be all for signing him. He is still a good bat as long as he can play.

3. jjyank says:

I didn’t want to see act 2 here, so happy to see him get paid elsewhere. Thanks for some really awesome memories, though.

4. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Seriously though, I officially need a new handle. JJ, if you say anything Plouffe related I will use your skin to make Woodhouse pajamas.

• jjyank says:

Damn it.

I dunno dude. I’m bad at coming up with handles. “jjyank” has been my handle since I played Warbirds online when I was like, 8 years old. My nickname was “JJ” (even though I have no other name besides my first that starts with a J) and “yank” was for “Yankees”, obviously. So I’m still rolling my the handle my 8 year old self came up with to register for an online game. Though my Xbox Live handle is different after my account got hacked last year.

So I’m probably going to be of no hope. Maybe hang on to the one you have now and see if the Yanks make a fun/exciting move in the next couple months, and figure out a pun for that player. I’m a sucker for puns.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You can play your ambivalence towards Youk into a handle?

• jjyank says:

“I don’t Puke for Youk”?

“Celery Cap Administrator”?

“I Heart Romaine”?

I’m bad at this.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I would go w/ Celery Cap Administrator but I wasn’t there for the thread and it would seem cheapened to me because of it. R-Tills has an idea w/ the Youk angle. “Kevin Puke-ilis (Hopefully Never) True Yankee (TM)”?

• jjyank says:

Nah, feels too troll like. If Youkilis becomes a “true Yankee”, it means he did something awesome for our team. I called him Poukilis all the time when he was with the Red Sox, but I can’t endorse actively mocking current players on the Yankees.

• Drew says:

CStewart:Starting Catcher

Pastadivingjeter

189problemsandmypayrollsoneofthem

Pinedas’s BAC

Bob Lorenz’s BAC

Joba’s BAC

AlliwantforchristmasisastartingC/RF/DH

• jjyank says:

I speak for Plouffy by vetoing all of these.

• Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

Nah, Bob Lorenz’s BAC is actually pretty funny, and I love Jay-Z so 189problemsandmypayrollsone was pretty funny. PastaDivingJeter is too played out, but also pretty funny. Joba and Pineda are current players, so to rag on them wouldn’t be nice, I think Romine is going to start at C and the last one would only be temporary.

• jjyank says:

Meh. Joking about BAC in a handle seems stupid to me. The Pasta thing belongs to PastaStumblingSojo. The Jaz-Z thing isn’t bad. The rest are lame. You can do better.

All good, but I’ve decided on this for now.

• Herby says:

You have time to see who they sign before the year starts…can still live on the glory of Raul until then..we won’t stick you with NoPlouffetas. Just please nothing Ichiro related.

5. Sg says:

The dh needs to be right handed to balance out all the lefty bats in the lineup…my pipe dream if getting cuddeyer from Colorado for dh/of duty

6. JobaWockeeZ says:

2/2 today for Cash. And again not sarcastic.

• jjyank says:

Yeah. I wanted Swish back, but the price the Indians paid was a bit above what I would have been comfortable with. And as I said above, re-signing Ibanez would feel too much like 2012 Andruw Jones for me.

7. Get Phelps Up says:

$2.75M guaranteed for a 41 year old DH who hit .208/.269/.365 on the road and now will have to play half of his games in Safeco Field. And in addition he’ll play an additional 18 games in the Oakland Coliseum and Angel Stadium.

#6org

• Get Phelps Up says:

I mean, I loved Raul and what he did down the stretch, but this seems like a HUGE overpay.

• Deep Thoughts says:

And they just brought in Kendrys Morales, who has a ridiculous platoon split and is pretty much useless from the right side against lefties. Then there is Smoak and Carp. What will they do with all these guys?

Maybe Raul will be a platoon DH with Montero.

8. Cano fan #1 says:

Sign travis Hafners 1 year 1.5M

9. turd surfer says:

Very good idea to let Raul go. I liked what he did in pinstripes. Just don’t think he will be worth it next year.

10. Greg says:

The issue obviously isn’t Raul, any more than it’s Swisher. It’s all about payroll. Per COTS, once you add in our arb and pre-arb guys, we’re already this year at $210M. So absent getting rid of some payroll (Grandy), there really isn’t anything to do. So figure Dickerson and Mostelier in the OF, and Nunez, Nix and Joseph in the IF. That’s it. And the only way to do anything even slightly different next year is if Andy, Mo, Kuroda and Grandy go (I’m assuming for the moment we overpay for Cano, but watch the LAD’s).

11. thunder rd runner says:

so the steinbrenners get ready to sell, we get ready for 2 years of .500 baseball

12. MartinRanger says:

Guys, the offseason isn’t over. It’s December. The big FA prizes are mostly gone, but there’s months left for trades, depth signings, and buy low opportunities. One-year contracts offer a lot of flexibility. And a lot of the remaining FA’s will take 1 year low base contracts with incentives. That’s the way the market works now. It’s not as favorable to veterans who have a bad year.

13. MartinRanger says:

Also throwing in my vote for Celery Cap Cheerleader.

14. Kosmo says:

Kubel would sit well with me. I also like the idea of Morneau as DH/1B. He´s on the last year of his contract, the Twins want to move Parmelee to 1B and they´re still in the hunt for pitching.

15. Mick taylor says:

Sign Travis haffner Grady Sizemore. Give Johnny Damon a minor league deal to see if he has anything left. If yanks somehow make the playoffs Damon cannot be worse than choke king swisher. Indians will regret giving swisher that money. He will suck.

16. Rick says:

So now the Yanks can’t afford 2.75M to resign Ibanez for 1 stinking year? I feel so much better that the NYY are being so budget conscious. It warms my heart this off season to know that Hal is stuffing tons of money in his pockets…as the caliber of the roster slowly sinks. Who cares about winning anymore the important thing is that Hall is getting richer.

• turd surfer says:

Get angry over other guys. Not Ibanez. He might not make it the whole year with the Mariners. He had a throwback year.

• jjyank says:

….seriously?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

This might be true, but deciding not to sign an over 40 DH who was awful for most of last season, is only good at one thing (and not all that good at that one thing) is hardly proof of it. This strikes me much more as an intelligent baseball decision than a budget decision.

17. jeff d says:

so for around 10 million we could have had raul back and a.j persynsky. yet weve lost swishs 13 million, sorianos 13 million, martins 8 million, i cant take the frugal yankees hank and hal should just sell now , but they will see , when theres barley 20 thousand in the stands on a sunny sunday like 1974 all over agian, they will regret bieng cheap, no one wants to see the bronx bunters= gardner,ichiro,cervelli,nunez.

• jjyank says:

Holy crap man, signing crappy players just for the hell of it is not the answer. Yes, I’m sure the Stadium will be half full because of Raul Freaking Ibanez.

I’m pretty sure that most of the commenters here lamenting the loss of guys like Ibanez and Pierzynski would be among the crowd bitching about the “geriatric Yankees for signing a 41 year old DH/OF and a 36 year old catcher who had an unrepeatable career year”. It’s kind of funny, really.

• Herby says:

It’s the end of the world, the end of the world..oh wait that was Sat. give it time…we haven’t even reached the season yet.

18. Rich in NJ says:

I support the non-signing of Ibanez.

19. Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

I really do not get it. Two seasons ago the company line on trolling against the Yankees is “They spend too much money, they sign all the players, they need to get younger, blahblahblah.” Now the second they become budget conscious (which I don’t agree with btw) all you ever hear here is “Hal’s a greedy piece of shit who should sell the team!!” For not resigning Russel Martin (who caught so much semi-justified hate this season it was ridiculous), or not signing Scheroltz, or not resigning Ibanez? God I swear some people watch the Yankees strictly to rip on them. Don’t get me wrong, I disagree with a lot of the front offices moves(not bringing back Swish, or Martin, giving Ichiro 2 guaranteed years) on their face, but I’m not going to pretend I know exactly why they did it.

• Laz says:

Ino.. They are still planning on going up to the cap as far as I know. So what, they are the 2nd highest spending team in baseball. Just means they might need to spend wiser, and actually make a decent farm system. Arod/Teix/CC take up a lot of salary room, but it still leaving them $100M to spend on other places.

• Herby says:

Hell, you see the same thing on every fan site, everyone knows how to do it better, we’re all GMs. It’s part of the fun of being a fan. Some of us just are a little less insane about it. I’m not that worried about Martin, he was probably the best option, but sometimes change can be fun. Moving in Posada from Girardi was memorable. Not saying anything available now is that class, but it’ll be interesting anyway. I do worry about the Steinbrenner family and their commitment to the team, everyone loved George but forget he had some real shitty years too. I don’t mind the budget either, as long as it’s a one year thing and works in some kids.

20. Get Phelps Up says:

It’s sad that this is LESS complaining about not bringing him back than I thought there would be.

Well, I loved Raul, but at the same time he was an average MLB hitter in 2012 due to some truly incredible stretches in April, June, and September. For basically all of May, half of June, and July-Mid Sept he was pretty bad.

21. Jimmy Page says:

if the season were to start today . there is no way the yankees are making the playoffs.

Line Up:

Rotation:
      CC
      Kuroda
      Pettitte
      Hughes
      Nova

Yes, that makes the playoffs IMO. Can the team get better? Absolutely it can, but let’s stop acting like this team that won 95 games last year is all of a sudden barely .500?

By my math the Yankees lost 8.3 fWAR this off season w/ the loses of Martin, Swisher, and ARod. They then added 7.0 if you consider Cervelli the starting Cather with the additions of Cervelli(.5) Gardner(5.2) and Youkilis(1.3) so as of right now the team is exactly 1 lose worse than last year.

• Herby says:

Hopefully they’ll have Andy and Mo pitching for a full season too though.

that’s true, Mariano was worth .9 in 2011 than Soriano was in 2012 (2.4 and 1.5 respectively) which is amazing when you take into account how good Soriano was this past season.

• Tony_Turdner says:

“They then added 7.0 if you consider Cervelli the starting Cather with the additions of Cervelli(.5) Gardner(5.2) and Youkilis(1.3)….”

In exactly what world is Gardner a “5.2″ WAR player?

• jeff d says:

this makes the playoffs?????????????? have you seen our division lately???? the blue jays are stacked, the rays with that pitching our better than us, if buckholtz and lester are healthy and dempster pitches decent with their lineup there better than us, thats us finishing 4th in our div. if the orioles win 92 plus like last year we finish last! you heard it here 1st, think with your brain not your heart. im a huge yankee fan but i think with my brain.

• Crickets says:

If you think his name is spelled “Buckholtz,” I think the conversation just ends there.

• DC says:

Wait…you’re telling someone else to think with their brain?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Blue Jays probably have a slightly better roster now, but with a high degree of injury risk.
          Red Sox probably aren’t any better now than the team that started last season. They might be able to contend, but they’d likely have to have almost everything go right for it to happen.
          Rays probably have a slightly better rotation (though that’s not as sure with the trade of Shields), but the Yankees should have a better offense and bullpen than the Rays.
          Orioles got extremely lucky last year, very unlikely they repeat that, and they haven’t gotten any better. They probably have the least talented roster in the division.
          Most likely, the Rays, Jays, and Yankees battle it out for the division, with at least one also getting a wildcard spot.

• Laz says:

No way you can say that. They are at least as good as the Jays, who have gotten way overrated.

• jjyank says:

You know the saying. “Grass is always greener”. Jays make a couple of exciting (and extremely high risk) moves, and ledge jumper Yankee fans already write the season off. In December. Boggles the mind.

• Herby says:

The season isn’t starting today though, and the team isn’t even going to be settled until the second half of the season. There is a long way to go…hell even Raul could end up back here mid-season.

• Robert Plant says:

Wanker.

22. Blake says:

I like

Ichiro RF
    Jeter SS
    Cano 2B
    Tex 1b
    Morse DH
    Granderson LF
    Youk 3b
    Romine c
    Gardner CF

Against LHP you can play Morse in RF and sit Ichiro, Grandy , or Gardner and DH Jeter or Nunez or whoever

• jjyank says:

I can get down with that. Depends on the price to acquire Morse, of course (I’m a fucking poet, I know) but I like the idea of him on this team.

23. Alex says:

If the Sweeny Murti report that Troy Glaus called the Yankees to inquire about the 3B vacancy is true, I think they should still bring him into Spring Training as a non-roster invitee. He can be a RH DH with power and backup semi-fragile Youkilis and Teixeira. Whether you agree with letting Swisher and Ibanez walk or not, we did lose 43 HRs from last years lineup with them walking out the door. Glaus can potentially bring some power and balance back into the lineup. Hey… A NRI contract can’t hurt, right?

24. Pistol Pete says:

Just don’t understand why thenYanks would invest so much money in veterans like Youk Ichiro Pettitte and Kuroda all of which I support then just be so glib about the catching position. Our catching is very very weak. Romine appears the only one with a future as Cervelli and Stewart are proven to be below avg major league catchers. Why an AJ Romine platoon wasn’t a possibility I’ll never know. Why the Yanks didn’t go a bit further on Martin is very odd. I hope Cash has a trade in the works because the trio of catchers on the roster is not major league level and we are the Yanks not some rebuilding five,year program team.

25. miketotheg says:

I can’t believe the Yankees didn’t sign him. I get that the advanced numbers run the roost, but C’MON!! They couldn’t spend 3 mil on a guy that hit 19 HRs and 62 RBI’s??? A post season hero?

Troll me. Hate me. Throw what ever numbers at me, no one on this team last year made me cheer as loud as this guy did. show me the stat for that.