Feb

David Phelps will start first Grapefruit League game on Saturday

Via Jack Curry: Joe Girardi confirmed that right-hander David Phelps will start the first game of the Grapefruit League schedule this Saturday. Adam Warren will start Sunday’s game against the Blue Jays, the first televised game of the spring. CC Sabathia will not make a start the first time through the rotation and I guess there’s a chance Phil Hughes won’t either thanks to his bout of back stiffness.

1. Sounds like it’s more than ‘back stiffness’ for Hughes…he’s being sent to a spine specialist.

2. Govin says:

I actually thought Phelps was going to start on saturday. I was right, Yay.

3. jjyank says:

Big Game David Phelps. Destiny.

#EddardWorld

4. Laz says:

Gives the young guys time to prove they are ready. CC/Kuroda/Pettitte/Hughes are locks, and don’t need more starts than what it takes to get ready.

5. Should I Fister or Pettitte? says:

This kid deserves a spot on the rotation. I read that he was already a few weeks ahead of the other pitchers.

#ThePhelpanator

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, he stuck to the schedule he was on last winter since he thought it worked so well. That put him ahead of the other MLB guys and in line with the MiLB guys.

Meanwhile, FHFRM almost decapitated him with a line drive during a simulated game today.

6. Hardy says:

I remember when people made fun of Mr. Colon for being the official Spring Training Opening Day Starter. A few month later, everybody was looking forward to Bartday…