Feb

Open Thread: 2/21 Camp Notes

(Star-Ledger)

Photo from yesterday, didn’t realize it until I uploaded it. Whoops. (Star-Ledger)

Only one more workout day left before Spring Training games begin. Here’s the latest from Tampa…

• Chad Jennings has the day’s batting practice, fielding drill, and bullpen assignments. Hiroki Kuroda threw live batting practice — Juan Rivera and Ichiro Suzuki both took him deep — while David Phelps threw a side session, the only two projected big leaguers to throw today. Dan Johnson was joined by Corban Joseph at third base during fielding drills. [Mark Feinsand]
  • As expected, Curtis Granderson took fly balls in left field during today’s workout, though the outfielders did rotation all around. Joe Girardi said they’re “going to toy with it and see if we like it (and) if we do, we’ll stay with it.” Granderson is on board with a switch if the team feels it’s best, which is not a small deal considering he will hurt his free agent stock by playing left. [Jennings, Jack Curry & Meredith Marakovits]
  • Mark Montgomery (back sprain) and Phil Hughes (bulging disk) are both feeling better. Montgomery will throw a bullpen session tomorrow. Girardi said Vidal Nuno is likely to start the team’s third Grapefruit League game — Phelps and Adam Warren have the first two — while the projected big league guys are unlikely to get into games until early-March. [Jennings]
  • Mariano Rivera will throw a round of live batting practice tomorrow, his first time facing hitters since having his right knee surgically repaired last May. [George King]

Here is your open thread for the evening. All three hockey locals are in action, so talk about those games or anything else on your mind here. Go nuts.

1. Scott says:

Has Pineda apologized for the drunk driving?

Todd Helton had a press conference and gave an unqualified apology within days of his SWI. Pineda’s was many months ago; did I miss his apology?

2. Jersey Joe says:

Not related to camp, but I just stumbled upon a family newspaper I wrote that I participated in with my extended family in 2009. I think it’s funny how things turned out after this articles.

Yankees Discussion #1: Matsui
    Hideki Matsui is already 34 years old, and will be 35 in June. He came to the Yankees in 2003 from Japan. He was a Japanese Babe Ruth in Japan. It was a different story in the US. He has hit 113 home runs as a Yankee in 6 years. He has almost no speed anymore due to his surgery in both legs. He missed most of three seasons due to injury. He can only play DH, he is not a left fielder anymore, much less a center fielder like he was in 2003. Nick Swisher, an everyday player has more skill than Matsui. He can play the entire outfield and first base. Matsui is only a DH. Getting rid of Matsui can be a real possibility, that is until Xavier Nady recovers from his elbow surgery. After all, he only has one year left on his contract.
    Yankees Discussion #2: Swisher
    Nick Swisher can hit for power and average. He can play outfield and first base. He can bat from the left and right side. Swisher is exactly what the Yankees are looking for. I was very surprised to hear he would be a back-up. He also is a great addition to the clubhouse. Most of all, he is on a HOT STREAK. He has 4 home runs and 11 RBI’s in just 8 games along with a .458 average. He is better and younger than Matsui. Hopefully, with Nady’s injury, he can have more playing time.

A-Rod came back to the season after a hip surgery recovery. On the first pitch he saw back in the Bigs, he hit an A-Bomb. Though he received many boos. Yankee fans hope that with A-Rod in the lineup, the Yankees can get back to first place. Their lineup is perfect, especially the infield with Teixeira, Cano, Jeter, and Rodriguez. All of them All-Stars. The outfield includes Damon in left, Swisher in right, and two young center fielders, Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner. Gardner, the South Carolina native, is a left handed hitting speed machine. Melky, on the other hand, a native of Santo Domingo, D. R., is a switch hitting speedster with a cannon for an arm. His arm will most likely win him a lineup spot in right field with the injury of Xavier Nady. Still, both Swisher and Damon can also play center. As for the bullpen, Joba is going to have to fit in there somewhere due to the bullpen’s struggle. With Phil Hughes up from AAA off to a good start, once Wang returns, Joba is going to most likely set the table for Mo.

Still, previous-steroid-using third baseman, struggling bullpens, rookie center fielders, and aging designated hitters will not win a 27th championship. So a good idea would be to get some young talent to be your DH, not Hideki Matsui. Matsui isn’t a bad ballplayer, he’s just aging and is prone to injury. During the years of 2003-08, Matsui was injured in 2006 and 2008. With surgery on both of his legs, his legs are failing him and the Yankees can’t afford to put him the outfield. But the Yankees should keep him, that is until Nady recovers from his injury. Then get a useful, young outfielder like Nick Markakis or good relief pitcher.

TheYankees recently called up a 23 year old catcher due to the injury of Posada. He so far has one hit, but the potential to hit 20 home runs.

[1st one is from April, second one from May]

3. jjyank says:

Let’s play a game called “You know when you live in the ghetto when…”

I know I live in the ghetto when…

I go to the little general store down the street and a black high school aged kid looks at me as I walk towards the door, then looks back at his friends, and says with a laugh “Yo, why are the cops here?”

I was wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a backwards baseball hat. Yeah.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

I know i live in the ghetto when I almost have to run my way to the subway when i get out of work (that’ll happen in a few minutes).

• turd surfer says:

…when you find bullet casings on your street.

• turd surfer says:

…when dudes have to dress up as undercover to avoid being shook by highschoolers.

Sorry, had to do it.

• Mike HC says:

When you decide to play basketball at the closest park instead of needing to take a subway and at first have everyone refuse to even acknowledge you and then having two of the nice black high school aged kids warn me to watch my back and to get out of there, and then upon starting to leave, having some of the older high school kids yell “homeboy is getting away” as they ran to their bikes and you sprint safely out of there faster than you have ever ran in my life.

(I didn’t really live in the ghetto but in Manhattan there are government subsidized housing dispersed throughout some decent areas)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, I’ve been confused for a cop PLENTY of times in my line of work, which is pretty hilarious. I think my response, at this point, is to just laugh and shake my head.

My response to your question, though, is “when EVERY POSSIBLE business has their entire stock behind bulletproof glass.”

• jjyank says:

This is true. Even my local Popeye’s has the same protection as most banks.

I would imagine though, that when you were mistaken as a cop, you weren’t wearing a black zip up snowboarder sweatshirt, college sweat pants, and a backwards Yankee hat.

The point is that the people in my area haven’t seen a white kid in probably months. And I live there. Yay?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Try to have a sense of humor about it. It is what it is. Treat people with respect and they’ll have your back.

Back when I did juvenile justice work, I often didn’t wear anything much fancier than that.

• jjyank says:

Oh I have a sense of humor about it. Though that’s because the entrance to my apartment is in the back and a DC patrol car is parked outside because the cop lives next to me. Otherwise…I’d be nervous. Just 3 more months and my lease is up.

• Jersey Joe says:

That’s all I have to say about that.

• Bob Buttons says:

… when you get mugged by your own classmates?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I completely missing the joke here what is this in reference to?

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I know I live in the ghetto when the gas station across the street sells fried chicken.

• vicki says:

not necessarily. there was no across the street where i grew up, but the gas stations had the best fried chicken. and the best bait.

4. J6takish says:

Good God, Team Venezuela is stacked

5. Pat D says:

So I’m sure some people have heard the story about Mississippi only just now having officially ratified the 13th Amendment?

For those of us old-timers, all I can say is, can we track down Rose to hear his thoughts on how Mississippi hasn’t actually been a state since 1861?

• Govin says:

Hearing this I decided to look up the history of the 13 amendment, I was so surprised to see that Kentucky, New Jersey, and Delaware, Did not ratify the amendment until after 1995.

• Now Batting says:

3/4ths of the States need to ratify an Amendment to make it part of the Constitution. Just because 12 others haven’t ratified it does not mean it doesn’t apply to them.

• Pat D says:

My point is that, unless I’m very mistaken, ratification of the 13th amendment was required for re-admittance to the Union after the Civil War. None of those states seceded.

• Jersey Joe says:

(Insert overreacting comment about no gov’t policy)

6. pablos unique face says:

Good muffins, I have to admit though, I was so scared Pablo would pick this as his post to copy.

7. Alkaline says:

Is it Sunday yet?

8. Mike Eder says:

Dante Bichette Jr and Mason Williams released two songs today. I don’t listen to rap, but I actually think they’re pretty good. Maybe Trevor Bauer set the bar too low, but this was a lot better than I expected.

9. Steve (different one) says:

In a shocking turn of events, David Price now may be willing to play for the Yankees.

How quickly did his agent call him after he made the original statement? Under 4 seconds?

10. trr says: