May

2013 Draft: Baseball America’s Mock Draft v2.0

Baseball America’s Jim Callis posted his second mock draft today (no subs. req’d), and he has the Astros taking former Yankees draft pick/Oklahoma RHP Jonathan Gray with the first overall selection. Callis notes Houston is rumored to be seeking a pre-draft deal with a college bat — likely San Diego 3B Kris Bryant or UNC 3B Colin Moran — so they can redistribute the draft pool savings elsewhere. The Cubs and Rockies are projected to take Stanford RHP Mark Appel and Bryant with the second and third overall picks, respectively.

The Yankees have three first round picks, and Callis has them selecting New Jersey HS LHP Rob Kaminsky (26th overall), Indiana State LHP Sean Manaea (32nd), and Oklahoma HS C Jon Denney (33rd). Click the links for my profile of each player. The Yankees have been connected to Denney, an offense-first catcher, in every single mock draft so far. Callis suspects the Yankees will roll the dice on Manaea — he missed his last start with shoulder stiffness and hip soreness that has lingered all spring — thanks to their extra picks and draft pool money ($7.96M), but they have become risk-averse in recent years, at least when it comes to their highest selections. Those three players might represent the best case scenario for the Yankees, unless they’re willing to take on an another injury risk in Minnesota HS OF Ryan Boldt.

Other Mock Drafts: Baseball America (v1.0), Keith Law (v1.0), and MLB.com (v1.0).

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. Hank says:

Another Catcher? When are they going develop some corner infield spots or find a SS

• Matt says:

In the last three years they’ve drafted Aune, Culver, and Bichette

• Dalek Jeter says:

You always build up the middle. Most 3rd basemen and 2nd basemen are SS who don’t have the range (3rd basemen) or arm (2nd basemen) to play the position professionally, the same way most LF’ers and RF’ers are CF’ers in High School or College until they turn pro. Plus, from what I understand (which I admit is not very much) pitchers and catchers are the most valuable pieces to have as trade chips.

• That’s the mindset that landed Culver and DBJ.

• LK says:

Probably when one of their catchers actually pans out.

2. Mantle24 says:

Would love this scenario. Especially Kaminsky, really want the Yanks to draft him.

3. Buhner's barber says:

Manaea would probably blow their draft pool by himself wouldn’t he? I love the talent though, but I think at the end of the first round you almost have to go high school to get anyone with a high ceiling.

4. Dalek Jeter says:

It’s weird, I was talking to my friend who is relatively close with the Kaminsky’s yesterday and he said that the Mariners and Padres were looking at him hard at 12th or 13th overall meanwhile this is the 2nd or 3rd Mock Draft that has him falling all the way to the Yankees at 26th.

5. Brandon Mauk says:

Really hope they can get Kaminsky. He’s the real deal.

6. DERP says:

That would be a great haul. Maybe substitute Austin Wilson in place of Manaea if Manaea isn’t healthy.

7. High risk/high upside group. This represents a pretty ideal situation, however. I really don’t see Kaminsky being available for the Yankee’s first pick. I really want him to be, especially considering that he is a local kid who is also a LHP, one of the major weaknesses of the Yankees farm system.

I didn’t like Manaea as a very early 1st round guy but I think he fits into the back half of the draft much better. I wish they could get a peek at his medicals before they take him though.

I love Jon Denny’s bat. Although I think he should probably be moved off catcher, kind of like the situation with Wil Myers.

• Greg says:

Denney’s more Gary Sanchez than Wil Myers. He’s an above average athlete for a catcher, but he doesn’t run nearly that well, he’s a good hitter that you have to hope can stick there.

8. Gus says:

Love denney. Kaminsky doesn’t seem like a Yankee fit given his height and their concerns about durability on smaller-build pitchers. Dream would be Wilson denney and either Anderson.

• Greg says:

The Yankees definitely prefer bigger pitchers, moreso than most teams, but I wouldn’t assume the Yankees wouldn’t draft a guy simply due to a lack of size. They do have some smaller starters like Camarena and Black.

9. EndlessJose says:

Yes bigger pitchers have is what the yankees want but have blown in there faces.The yankees need more polished pitchers.