2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- After months of waiting, the ruling in Alex Rodriguez’s appeal hearing was handed down. Arbitrator Fredric Horowitz upheld the suspension but reduced the length from 211 to 162 games. A-Rod said he will pursue an injunction and further legal action.
- Masahiro Tanaka traveled to the United States to meet with teams last week, including the Yankees. Negotiations have been tight-lipped in general, but the Dodgers “won’t spend wildly” to sign him. The $20M release fee will be paid out across two years. The Yankees are monitoring Johan Santana’s rehab and if they fail to sign Tanaka, they could fill out their pitching staff with low cost options rather than another big name.
- Despite the A-Rod ruling, the Yankees are not expected to add another infielder on a guaranteed Major League contract. They offered Mark Reynolds a minor league contract but a reunion is said to be “unlikely.”
- The Yankees signed right-handers Bruce Billings, Yoshinori Tateyama, and Robert Coello as well as utility man Yangervis Solarte and infielder Scott Sizemore to minor league contracts. They also had interest in reunion with Chris Dickerson before he signed with the Pirates.
- Vernon Wells was designated for assignment to clear a 40-man roster spot for Matt Thornton, whose two-year contract is official.
- The Yankees backed out of a deal to move their High Class-A affiliate from Tampa to Ocala after receiving resistance from the local community.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.