Make sure you scroll down for tonight’s game thread. Here are a few notes from the minor league side…
- OF Dan Brewer has been traded to the Braves. No word on the return but it won’t be anything substantial — maybe a few grand, maybe less. Milwaukee really dropped the ball here, they should have been the first team on the phone.
- RHP Taylor Morton is done for the season with some kind of shoulder problem. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious and explains the 9/20 K/BB in 23.2 innings this year. Meanwhile, RHP Conor Mullee had some kind of surgery this morning and is also done for the year.
- RHP Danny Farquhar has been bumped up to Triple-A Empire State, taking the roster spot of the recently released RHP Nelson Figueroa.
- LHP Josh Romanski has joined Short Season Staten Island as part of his rehab assignment. He hasn’t pitched since mid-April due to a blister(s).
- Baseball America published a midseason list of the youngest players in each league. The Yankees have the youngest player in the Triple-A International League (LHP Manny Banuelos), High-A Florida State League (C Gary Sanchez), and Rookie Level Gulf Coast League (3B Miguel Andujar). Five of the 17 youngest players in the FSL are Yankees farmhands.
Triple-A Empire State (2-0 win over Charlotte)
CF Chris Dickerson: 2-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 BB — got picked off first
C Frankie Cervelli: 0-3, 1 K, 1 HBP
2B Corban Joseph: 1-2, 1 RBI, 1 BB
DH Brandon Laird: 2-4, 1 RBI, 1 K — eight hits in his last 23 at-bats (.348) with three doubles and a homer
LF Kosuke Fukudome: 1-2, 2 BB — second straight game with a pair of walks, his specialty
RF Cole Garner & SS Ramiro Pena: both 1-4, 1 K
3B Doug Bernier & 1B Matt Antonelli: both 1-3 — Bernier struck out … Antonelli played his second career game at first
LHP Mike O’Connor: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 3/3 GB/FB — 38 of 54 pitches were strikes (70%) … picked a runner off first
RHP D.J. Mitchell: 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 4/4 GB/FB — 42 of 63 pitches were strikes (64%) … he’ll start five days from now