May

Fan Confidence Poll: May 17th, 2009

Record Last Week: 5-1 (26 RS, 19 RA)
Season Record: 20-17 (198 RS, 212 RA), 4.5 GB
Opponents This Week: vs. Minnesota (1 game), vs. Baltimore (3 games), vs. Philadelphia (3 games)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Double-J says:

First.

The Good: Comeback wins (good teams find ways to win), Johnny Damon is a Demon, A-Rod returns with Bitch-Tits vengeance, Melky’s walk-off knock, Tex is heating up, Mo is throwing scoreless innings, pitching is giving us the chance to win.

The Bad: Offense still looking a bit sad over the course of the game, Brett Gardner’s slip-and-slide with Joe Mauer, Phil Hughes is still kind of iffy, Matsui’s swing with the bases loaded, Give Me That Swish kind of makes me long for the X-Man to return ASAP.

The Ugly: We still suck against Roy Halladay.

2. zs190 says:

Hard to not feel good after the weekend we’ve had, but going forward, I’m still worried about the bullpen. Joba and Hughes haven’t been able to go deep into games very often and handing the ball to Albie, Tomko, and Veras just scared the living daylight out of me. Getting an effective Bruney and Marte back will help so much.

3. As another commenter here is wont to say:

Confidence = 10

4. Reggie C. says:

I think its only a matter of another game or two till Arod finds the consistency in his stroke. Not everything he hits can be a HR. Teix goes 4-4 and follows that up with 0-4. He too will find consistency quickly once Arod’s production jumps.

Cervelli has been a nice surprise as he’s shown better defensive actions than Molina has shown this year. Cash should NOT be stealing ABs from Cervelli no matter who Aj wants catching his game. Joe G. should make Cervelli the sole backup to the whole rotation.

What does concern me begins with the ‘pen. Bruney can’t get back fast enough. Coke is again showing flashes of ineffectiveness. Few on this board have faith in Veras and Albie. Aceves is the only trustworthy reliever of the bunch backing Mo.

Phil Hughes. Hughes is in an interesting position. Once he returns to Scranton , the Yanks are gonna have to figure a way to keep Hughes working on that changeup. The problem: he doesn’t labor against AAA hitting. How much could Hughes improve anyway?? Is Hughes even a realistic option for ’2010?

• Few on this board have faith in Veras and Albie.

In Albie’s 8 May appearances, he’s pitched 7.2 innings and allowed 2 runs (both of them unearned due to an error by Ramiro Peña in the May 5th Boston game) and has a 0.00 ERA. He’s held the opposition to a .222/.371/.259 (.631) line, and he’s inherited four runners and stranded three of them.

I have faith in Albie. He’s a perfectly fine back of the bullpen option.

Veras, you’ve got a better argument there.

5. UWS says:

I really wish whoever keeps voting “1″ would speak up and give their reasons for doing so, unless they’re doing it just to be dicks.

6. Chris says:

Feel good about: the win streak, Tex’s heating up, Damon staying hot, A-Rod’s comeback, and CC’s improvement.

Feel concerned about: the bullpen, the offense, and as nice as the comeback wins are concerned the pessimist in me sees part of that as a sign of the troubles with the bullpen and offense. Sorry, I don’t excel at seeing the positives.

7. Yankeegirl49 says:

I was at 8 the first week, I was at 8 thru the losing streak and Im at 8 now. If Posada didnt go down, I might be at 9. The offense has got to pick it up.
    Im not all that worried about the pen, there are some good arms out there and I have to believe that they will get it together and some combination of those arms will get the job done more often than not.

8. V says:

I think the question is openended.

The goal of the season is to win the World Series. As the question isn’t about THIS season, but about the franchise, I take it to mean ‘Is this team going to be competitive for the World Series this year and in subsequent years’. As such, I vote a 9, as I think we’re definitely making the playoffs, and have the rotation to make a solid try (all caveats about the playoffs are a crapshoot fully understood), AND that the team will be competitive in at least the next several years.

After this year and 3 more years after that, I have no foresight.

9. Jackson says:

Confidence it high. Repeat: Confidence is high.

10. Johnny says:

What we need is a custom made fan confidence poll that goes to 11.

11. LiveFromNY says:

I voted 7 last week and bumped it up to a 9 this week. If the team believes they will find ways to win and pick each other up then they will win big and win even better when Posada and Bruney and CMW come back. There’s a lot of games to go but me likey what I’m seeing right now.

You can have a roster full of overpaid superstars but if they can’t play together, it’s worthless. I think they’re learning how to play together and that is nice.

I’m also giving props to Girardi for letting them be themselves.
    Yesterday on the JG show Michael Kay said that Paulie and Coney weren’t liking some of the antics like the pie stuff and that the team was more serious when they played. Girardi said he’s not going to suppress the personalities on the team. He said the same thing about Joba’s fist pump…that it is who he is and that it’s part of his intensity. Girardi also reminded Kay that when he played on the Yankees with Coney and Paulie they had characters like David Wells so he doesn’t know what Coney and Paulie are talking about. I like the fact that he’s saying, “Dudes, this is my team. STFU.”

Keep it going boys!

• andrew says:

Please see: “Bronx Zoo”

12. Mike Pop says:

Once Bruney/Marte come back and show their brilliance, I’ll be at 10. Plus, while bringing in overall future into this, I am just a tad worried about the catcher situation next year. I do hope Nady comes back and hits like he can, just a solid player and play avg defense.

• Some Call Me...Nick. says:

Mike I respectfully wish to nitpick…I think you had a misspelling in your post.

You wrote: Bruney/Marte

And I think it’s spelled Bruney/Posada

13. YankeeScribe says:

I feel good about the team’s chemistry after watching the past few games. Everyone seems to be accepting and falling into their roles. They aren’t giving up after falling behind and they’re winning lots of close games.

A-Rod will heat up. Tex is heating up. The pitching has improved by leaps and bounds. Damon is making a persuasive argument for playing LF for the Yanks atleast one more season.

I’m worried about Cano and Swisher’s slumps. What worries me most is the team’s overall lack of offense with RISP. Against Roy Halladay, it’s understandable but they shouldn’t be leaving so many runners on-base against guys like Liriano or Koji Uhera…

14. The Yanks also made a minor trade last week, picking up righty reliever Romulo Sanchez from the Pirates.

Confidence Level = ELEVEN

15. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Two Live Stu’s = Two Live B-Jobbers

• Dude… I couldn’t believe what I was listening to. I can’t believe ESPN gives that guy (was it Ryan Stewart?) a podium and allows him to speak as an informed observer/expert when he clearly doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Do you have a DVR? My box with the DVR is on the fritz right now so I can’t go back and transcribe what just happened, but someone should do it. Wow.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

He basically said the Yankees will continue to struggle until they can figure a way to get Joba back in the bullpen. His brother then said that when Wang comes back, Joba will go to the pen.
        Skip Bayless said that Tampa will still has a major gun (David Price) ready to come up and dominate, no mention to the bullpen for Price, of course.

• E-ROC says:

Two Live Stu’s are a joke.

16. dkidd says:

an eventual bullpen of

mo
    bruney
    marte
    coke
    aceves
    melancon
    jonathan abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

plus a rotation that continues to go deeper into games

equals 10 (non-binary)

17. Frank says:

6- a BP including Tomko,Veras,Ramirez, and to a lesser extent, Albaladejo and Coke, is cause for concern. Also, they need an upgrade over Berroa.

• Mike Pop says:

AL East bench/utility players:

Boston – Gil Velaquez and Jeff Bailey
      Baltimore – Noland Reimold and Robert Andino. Ty Wiggington to a certain extent, I guess. He’s a solid bench player though.
      Toronto – John McDonald and Jose Bautista
      Rays – Zobrist and Willy Aybar

Deceased players:

Boston – Big Papi

But, seriously. If Berroa is one of this team’s main concerns, we are in great shape. He is what he is a bench player who can play some 2nd, ss, and 3rd. Also, he is the second one to do that after Pena. They are what they are, the Yankees aren’t able to get a great player for the bench. They are all going to be average.

You want to trade great talent for Blake DeWitt? Have him only start 1 or 2 days a week. Is it worth it?

• ChrisS says:

Berroa doesn’t even take off his warm-up jacket during games and has logged all of 13 PAs and 31 innings this season.

For comparison to guys that have been on the roster for most of the season:

Jeff Baily – 146 Innings played, 66 PAs
        Robert Andino – 53 IP, 25 PAs
        John MacDonald – 31 IP, 17 PAs (placed on DL 8 May).
        Jose Bautista – 191 IP, 81 PAs
        Ben Zobrist – 200+ IP, 94 PAs
        Willy Aybar – 58 IPs + DH time, 62 PAs

And in 5 days, Nolan Reimold has caught up with Berroa’s playing time for the season.

Berroa’s not the anchor weighing this team down and keeping them from first place, but they’re expending a 25- and 40-man roster spot on a guy who basically is showing up for the post-game spread. Why play the games with a 24-man roster?

• Mike Pop says:

Ya, I hear ya but it’s not the greatest thing to compare him with those, and that is my mistake.

He was never expected to help the team/be on the team as long as those guys were for their teams.

Plus, you aren’t going to play him over A-Rod.

Just make sure A-Rod is completely healthy and he will be gone, a week or so when Bruney comes back.

• ChrisS says:

Either Berroa or Veras, but they’re carrying 12 pitchers and a cheerleader. That can be trimmed (especially the bullpen now that the starters are picking up more innings).

And really, is Mike Dunn so good that the Yankees are worried about losing a 23 year old reliever that’s struggling in AA?

Roster spots, like outs, are precious, there is no reason to give them away.

18. ChrisS says:

my vote depends on the rather vague “future” portion of the question. Am I confident, after this week, that they’ll make the postseason, win the Serious, or finish with 90+ wins?

For the future of this season, I’m at a 9 that they’ll make the post-season after this week. CC is in form and Teixeira is warming up as his numbers suggested. Gotta like that. Mo is Mo and the bullpen is rebounding to last year’s success after a shaky first month when the starters couldn’t make it out of the 5th. I think Joba and, to a lesser extent, Phil, are making strides to be the starters that they can be. I like the back-ups Pena and Cervelli.

Under a three-season future, I’m at a 6. The farm system has some talented pitchers and that’s about it. There’s really nothing to replace Damon and Matsui in the minors, and nothing other than resigning them or an equally aged or sketchy replacement FA (see Holliday, Matt). The catching crop seems to be a few seasons away when (outside of Cervelli blossoming into a .750 OPS kinda back-up) the need for Posada’s replacement at C is getting close at hand. Jeter’s D issues and whether Melky continues his season, also affect the confidence rating.

• Klemy says:

Maybe I’m alone on this and maybe I’m crazy from the cold medicine, but Jeter seems to be getting to a few more balls lately than usual.

• Conan says:

He turns the routine grounder into the spectacular play.

• ChrisS says:

I’m looking forward to the rest of this season, next season, and the 2011 season when they have either a new SS or they resign Jeter to a lifetime deal worth eleventy billion dollars.

19. Klemy says:

I’m back at an 8 after a 7 through the losing streak.

I’m still not at a good comfort level with the Bullpen and the Offense is failing right up until the end of games.

For my comfort level to rise, I need to see more consistent run scoring and hitting with RISP. The walk offs are fun, but I really prefer a good blowout in our favor now and then.

Bullpen comfort…Brett Tomko. I repeat – BRETT TOMKO. I nearly blew a gasket when he came in on Sunday. Thankfully, it didn’t hurt us and he pitched well. My comfort level here rises with a healthy Bruney. I won’t trust Marte again until he rattles off a good run of outs.

20. Cozimoto says:

Voting at 8 again. The teams showing that never give in attitude you love to see.

21. YankeeScribe says:

I’m not confident about tonight’s game. The Yanks usually lose when their games are broadcasted on ESPN…

22. R says:

I love the Yanks as much as anyone, but I want the Kool-Aid that you “10″ folks are drinking. I guess there are no problems with the bullpen anymore.

23. Conan says:

Confidence = 7

9 for this year, 4 for the long term. Aging SS, aging 3B, aging C, and besides Ajax and Montero, no forseeable position players in the organization.

Mauer sure would look good behind the Yankee plate in 2010.

• ChrisS says:

Mauer sure would look good behind the Yankee plate in 2010.

Him paired with Montero would give the Yankees an incredible offensive tandem from behind home plate and at DH, plus they could be the Tag Team Champions of the World.

24. handtius says:

9. I moved up one. With A-lex back and more on the way, I’m climbing. I know it’s long term, but I include both the long and the short.