Fan Confidence Poll: June 1st, 2009By
Record Last Week: 4-2 (40 RS, 21 RA)
Season Record: 29-21 (283 RS, 263 RA), 0.5 game lead in AL East
Opponents This Week: @ Cleveland (1 game), vs. Texas (3 games) vs. Tampa Bay (3 games)
Top stories from last week:
- Phil Hughes started the week off with a bang, firing eight shutout innings in Texas against the team that had the best record in the American League at the time. The next game didn’t go so well, as Joba Chamberlain got knocked around a bit after a lengthy rain delay. AJ Burnett rebounded well the next night, and the Yanks escaped Arlington with a series win.
- The Yanks then jumped into Cleveland following an off day and grabbed the lead in the AL East on Friday thanks to Andy Pettitte and Al Aceves. CC Sabathia was the man yet again on Saturday, and the weekend closed out with a disappointing walk-off loss when Brett Gardner got cold feet on the bases.
- With the season just about a third of the way over, it’s time for the team to start tweaking its inefficient roster. The Yanks have made it clear that they will not move Joba to the bullpen, but they might look for relief help. They’ve also inquired about Mark DeRosa for a bench spot.
- With Chien-Ming Wang doing well, (albeit uncomfortably), in his role as a reliever, it suddenly looks like the Yanks may have too much good pitching. I say enjoy the depth, it has a way of running thin before you know it.
- Kevin Cash was optioned to Triple-A Scranton when Jorge Posada made his return from a sore hamstring, but there was some uncertainty about what roster move would be made to accommodate Georgie. Xavier Nady is playing in games down in Extended Spring Training, so his return to the lineup isn’t too far off.
- Things are going so well for the Yanks right now that even the uber-boring Derek Jeter has gotten the most All-Star votes so far.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.